Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Which character do you wish pJ INcluded in the trilogy./??
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

thehobbitftw
Rivendell

Mar 17 2011, 10:54am

Post #1 of 40 (1008 views)
Shortcut
Which character do you wish pJ INcluded in the trilogy./?? Can't Post

I Wish Nob was in the movie and i was utterly dissapointed to see Mr BUtterbur without his little apprentice.lol
ALSo the Rangers of the north ARAgorns KIN.CoolCoolCool

(This post was edited by thehobbitftw on Mar 17 2011, 10:58am)

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Mar 17 2011, 11:28am

Post #2 of 40 (614 views)
Shortcut
The Barrows were missed for me. And Tom with his Goldberry.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing the evidently prefer.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Mar 17 2011, 12:44pm

Post #3 of 40 (612 views)
Shortcut
The Barrow Wights [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know why but it is a favorite part in Fellowship for me. They were just so vivid in my imagination when I read it.Smile

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

Junesong
Rivendell

Mar 17 2011, 1:36pm

Post #4 of 40 (613 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel (runner up Beregond) [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't know why PJ and Co decided that Aragorn and Arwen's love story needed to be so inflated in the films - IMHO the love story doesn't really work in the films because the flashbacks are always to some random bench or bridge in Rivendell instead of showing us how they met when they were young or something so we cared a little bit.

But alas - it meant that my favorite small character from the book was cut out of the films!

I understand, conversely, why Beregond didn't make the cut because he is pretty redundant for the film's Minas Tirith scenes,,, but his friendship with Pippin and his role in Faramir's story was always a highlight for me in the books.

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 17 2011, 1:53pm

Post #5 of 40 (643 views)
Shortcut
The Sons of Elrond, Halbarad & Aragorn's Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there really anything besides cool armor that Haldir brought to the Helm's Deep scenes that couldn't have been accomplished by a band of Rangers of the North showing up a little early?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

moreorless
Gondor

Mar 17 2011, 2:04pm

Post #6 of 40 (615 views)
Shortcut
I'd go with Beregond aswell.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The character himself isnt perhaps the most interesting I do think ROTK could have benefited from the Gondorians being humaized a bit more aswell as Pippin giving us more of a look around Minas Tirith.

I'd guess actually that besides runtime the latter reason is why he can his son werent included, Jackson probabley only had the budget/workforce/time to construct a limated number of sets in Minas Tirith so building all the extra locations(guards quarters, lampwrights street etc wasnt possible.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Mar 17 2011, 2:04pm)

Hamfast
Rohan

Mar 17 2011, 2:52pm

Post #7 of 40 (579 views)
Shortcut
Tom Bombadil & Goldberry [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though i'm perfectly ok with the reasoning for not including them and am happy to let their characters reside in my minds eye.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 17 2011, 5:41pm

Post #8 of 40 (593 views)
Shortcut
Beregond or Imrahil. And Ioreth! // [In reply to] Can't Post

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

mendil
Rivendell

Mar 17 2011, 6:25pm

Post #9 of 40 (584 views)
Shortcut
Eärendil [In reply to] Can't Post

By which I mean, I missed most the Hall of Fire.

"... But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song."

Theoden
The Shire

Mar 17 2011, 6:33pm

Post #10 of 40 (587 views)
Shortcut
Imrahil // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises!
Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!

Death! Death!! DEATH!!!
Forth, Eorlingas!

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 17 2011, 6:48pm

Post #11 of 40 (584 views)
Shortcut
Imrahil // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ulmo
The Shire

Mar 17 2011, 8:01pm

Post #12 of 40 (589 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

like it says.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2011, 8:31pm

Post #13 of 40 (587 views)
Shortcut
I missed Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

He appeared only briefly, but he made Middle-earth feel so much larger. Tom Bombadil and Goldberry were also missed, despite the clear logic behind their omission. Then of course there's Glorfindel.

Alientraveller
Lorien

Mar 17 2011, 9:42pm

Post #14 of 40 (597 views)
Shortcut
Re: Elrond's sons and Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is there really anything besides cool armor that Haldir brought to the Helm's Deep scenes that couldn't have been accomplished by a band of Rangers of the North showing up a little early?

That's a good idea actually! One of the best fan suggestions I've heard alongside the idea that Faramir should've mentioned to Eowyn he had the same dream.

I would've liked to have seen Imrahil, you didn't need to mention his backstory, just naming a Gondorian commander and giving him a unique outfit would've made Middle-earth feel even larger. Trivial characters like those work well for fictional universes.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 18 2011, 12:48am

Post #15 of 40 (594 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would have been nice not to show that Aragorn does have kin and those who are loyal to him - in fact, I was sad that they basically ignored the entire Northern Kingdom. I can understand it, but I still miss it.

I would also like to have seen Imrahil.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

squire
Half-elven

Mar 18 2011, 2:01am

Post #16 of 40 (572 views)
Shortcut
Farmer Maggot, Tom Bombadil, Glorfindel, Quickbeam, Beregond and Bergil, the Hunter and Tracker orcs. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Butterbur, and Ioreth, and Shagrat and Gorbag, with real dialogue, not just a quick face-minute.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 18 2011, 4:17am

Post #17 of 40 (591 views)
Shortcut
Imrahil. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even a human fighter on the Pelennor with mirrored vambraces would have done me.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 18 2011, 6:35am

Post #18 of 40 (591 views)
Shortcut
Itaril [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

DrDeath153
Lorien

Mar 18 2011, 12:06pm

Post #19 of 40 (545 views)
Shortcut
A solid point. [In reply to] Can't Post

While i don't believe the Rangers of the North are by any means essential i would have preferred them to be the relief force over Haldir and his lot any day. Nice as the scene where Elrond deliver's Anduril is, it was a bit of a wasted journey when he had already sent Haldir's lot off in aid- 'Right i've sent off a hundred crack archers and a decent captain to aid him. What? Killed to a man? Right, i better get that bloody sword fixed then- Arwen, ready my horse!' You could have actually combined the two to be honest- replace Elrond's sons in the book version with Elrond himself- would that have been a bit too sacrilegious? I do kind see Elrond's appearance at Dunharrow as a nod to his absent sons. But yes, the Rangers would have been a nice touch, and even showing up before the Battle of Helm's Deep would have been more true to the book than the rather erroneous appearance of some half-baked lothlorien captain and his posse of elves (i think it would also have done more to suggest that Helm's Deep was actually a human victory- the idea that 'only the elves can save us now' is a bit patronising to the valour of Rohan)

The Rangers though are not the characters i would most liked to have seen in the film though. In fact perhaps the people the film most needs (to cover up a bit of a plot hole) is the troops of the southern fiefs, to justify the trek all the way south to Pelargir when it would cut miles off the journey if Aragorn and the army of the dead just legged it along the white mountains, dealt with the forces at the pelennor and then were ready and waiting for the corsairs to arrive. If they were so bold to spend more time explaining the actual situation of Gondor instead of sticking in a shedload of book inaccuracies and unnecessary 'dramatic' additional plot points, they wouldn't leave a plot hole that is (as a rough guess of the difference between the relative routes due east vrs south east and then north) 200-odd miles wide. It would also have given Aragorn a bit more of a claim on the throne of Gondor if he was shown to have the backing of the actual soldiery of Gondor. Then again, to so quickly discard the highly costly (budget wise) Army of the Dead would have been a bit of an anti-climax: there was solid reasoning about using them as the force Aragorn brought to the Pelennor, even if the actual execution of those scenes were pants.

It is something that i've found increasingly niggling that there is never really a point where Aragorn's identity is revealed and accepted by the people, or even the soldiery of Gondor. The way the film is cut together and staged (particularly during the Last Debate scene) makes it seem like Gondor has just unwittingly suffered a kind of coup-de-etat by a tramp and his bunch of hippy drinking buddies. I know this isn't really an issue of an individual missing character, but it would have been nice to have shown either him being gratefully accepted into the city by the liberated troops of Gondor or else have stuck a couple of Gondorian Captains in the background of The Last Debate just to make clear that Aragorn does actually have the blessing of the people he's now ordering a suicide mission to the black gates from. Just a point.

Almost universally i agree with the choice and reasons of the book characters removed, and so coming up with a single character that i feel should have been kept in is quite hard. Gildor obviously was easily removed (though nodded to in the elves heading to the havens while Frodo and Sam are camping), Bombadil and Goldberry would have been 'stylistically tricky' to reconcile, as well as quite a lengthy diversion so i could almost claim i'm glad they were removed (charming though they were in the novel). Glorfindel requires too much explanation for a character with only one real moment, and probably would have made people question why Legolas was chosen for the Fellowship when they had an elven character already nicely established. Erkenbrand is trickier than you might think since his presence would have meant Eomer got more screentime in TTT and therefore could have been more fitfully developed, but on the other hand is a character of very limited consequence, no prior set-up and no later significance (Tolkien left him overseeing the clear-up operation at Helm's Deep). Ghan-buri-Ghan was a clean ommission and doesn't really add anything to the story, as well as being something of a racial stereotype of African Pygmies so meh, i like him but it's fair game he's gone. Beregond was pretty much in the film already (as different as he is to Pippin's helpful guide, Irolas does pretty much fit the bill of Beregond). Bergil and Ingold? Well, they didn't have the time for those characters. The Fiefdom captains are quite interesting- Imrahil serves as kind of a contrast to Denethor, being publically heroic and chivalric while Denethor is far more private, political and shrewd. My own personal choice for Imrahil though would have been too young at the time to convincingly play Sean Bean's uncle (since he's a couple of years younger than him) so it's probably better i can now have my perfect Imrahil added to my mental visualisation of the books now he's at the right age. Forlong would have been a laugh- it's quite amazing the amount of affection a character who doesn't speak a single line of dialogue can illicit. Just having Forlong as a background figure- a Captain of Gondor who had gone to seed would have satisfied me. Hurin, Warden of the Keys could have conceivably been portrayed as one of the Guards of the Fountain Court but obviously isn't essential (could have served the purpose of validating Aragorn's claim though- see earlier), Ioreth provides a nice little comic touch to the book and also is an example (albiet not a wholly flattering one) of a female character in Tolkien's work who isn't either a monster or royalty (Lobelia Sackville Baggins probably qualifies as the former). So yeah, i can't really think of any of those characters who would have really added anything to the film.

To sit on the fence, the one character i think should have been given a cameo is the fox that noses around the Hobbits camping- no talking, just have him do his foxy thing and walk off. I don't think you have Red Foxes in NZ anyway, so it would have been a nice european touch.

Dr Death

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 18 2011, 1:31pm

Post #20 of 40 (563 views)
Shortcut
The Fox. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I'm amazed that he was able to squeeze in as many as he did. I was sure Treebeard and Faramir would be cuts.

Three meals for the Elven-kings high on the sky flet,
Three for the Dwarf-lords meat ripe off the bone,
Three for Mortal Men doomed to diet,
Seven for the Halflings of Hobbiton,
In the Land of the Shire where the taters fry.

Seven meals to rule them all,
Seven meals to find them,
Seven meals to bring them all
And at the Party bind them
In the Land of the Shire where the taters fry.

sador
Half-elven

Mar 18 2011, 2:07pm

Post #21 of 40 (530 views)
Shortcut
Bill Ferny. [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't they have one bad Man in the films?

"Let me think!" - Aragorn.

The weekly discussion of The Lord of the Rings is back! Please join us in the Reading Room for Book III.

"A bit of pipeweed and some food is sufficient to make them think better of Saruman? Are hobbits more forgiving than other races by nature?"
- Isis.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 18 2011, 2:36pm

Post #22 of 40 (536 views)
Shortcut
Um [In reply to] Can't Post

wouldn't that have distracted Legolas?

LaughEvilAngelic

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

~TORnado Babies 2009~ ~TORnado Babies 2010~
~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~ ~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 18 2011, 2:41pm

Post #23 of 40 (523 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd also liked to have seen Imrahil and Beregond.

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

~TORnado Babies 2009~ ~TORnado Babies 2010~
~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~ ~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~

Patty
Immortal

Mar 18 2011, 3:38pm

Post #24 of 40 (522 views)
Shortcut
Ghan buri ghan. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I would have liked to see more of Lobelia.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Mar 18 2011, 3:54pm

Post #25 of 40 (531 views)
Shortcut
Imrahil and Elronds sons [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they could have fit into ROTK Elladan and Elrohir could have joined Aragorn after Elrond gave him Anduril. Imrahil could have been in minas tirith and led the Knights of Dol Amroth in to the Battle of Pelennor Fields. I think cutting out Tom Bombadil was the right thing to do I mean the movie was already 3 hours long maybe if PJ had 4 or 5 films he could have fitted him in but not in 3.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.