Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sir Ian Updates on First Rehearsal

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2011, 1:18am

Post #1 of 23 (2946 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ian Updates on First Rehearsal Can't Post

Sir Ian has updated his blog on some Hobbit related news, including the new Bag End interior set, and rehearsals with the rest of the cast! I'm starting to get chills from how close its getting to cameras rolling!
http://www.mckellen.com/...bit-movie/110317.htm

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Mar 17 2011, 1:19am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2011, 1:28am

Post #2 of 23 (878 views)
Shortcut
Awesome news!!! Great to hear.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Mar 17 2011, 1:33am

Post #3 of 23 (881 views)
Shortcut
I always look forward to Sir Ian's updates. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw this earlier today and it made me so happy..less than 5 days to go!

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2011, 1:45am

Post #4 of 23 (923 views)
Shortcut
He looks good and I am glad they are all jelling as a group..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 17 2011, 1:51am

Post #5 of 23 (848 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very excited about what's to come.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

KAOS82
Rohan

Mar 17 2011, 2:44am

Post #6 of 23 (826 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always forget to save the page in favs...
...done!
it's nice what Ian makes, maybe some 'stolen' photos...Evil

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NÍNIEL

rings7
Rohan

Mar 17 2011, 3:57am

Post #7 of 23 (800 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

the chills came out when i saw it on facebook! so excited!

lurtz2010
Rohan

Mar 17 2011, 5:07am

Post #8 of 23 (795 views)
Shortcut
Ian's the man [In reply to] Can't Post

Would the main cast have been able to read the entire scripts for both movies or just parts of them at this stage?

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Mar 17 2011, 7:25am

Post #9 of 23 (821 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's bedroom [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope this means that the little moment at the end of "An Unexpected Party" is in the movie. When Bilbo hears Thorin still humming the dwarves' song before he drifts off to sleep. It's one of my favorites.

And you know you're a geek when you get excited about a mere mentioning of Bilbo's pantry.Laugh

Garfeimao
Rohan

Mar 17 2011, 7:33am

Post #10 of 23 (748 views)
Shortcut
How fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so happy that the production is going to be collaborative and let the actors participate in the process of creating the characters.

This makes me super duper happy.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 17 2011, 7:58am

Post #11 of 23 (774 views)
Shortcut
That made me smile... :) [In reply to] Can't Post

...big, happy, contented smile. It's really happening! Smile

And I love that comment about the actors' involvement with the script.

thesithempire
Rivendell

Mar 17 2011, 9:34am

Post #12 of 23 (745 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the important aspects of the script are in "revision" as the article's author fears. They certainly had an abundance of time (and then some) to get the scripts hammered out. What I think is that a lot of spoken dialogue was necessarily included (much of it not in the book as its narrative tends to focus on the primary characters) to give each of the 13 dwarves the appropriate screen time to help distinguish them (at least a good chunk of them; frankly, I'll be speechless if they can really dileneate 13 dwarves), and the feedback from the actors is invaluable in this process.

The dialogue should feel natural to the actors. Tolkien doesn't paint a 100% character study of each dwarf, which allows for quite a bit of wiggle room. If one actor feels his dwarf is more a certain way than another, they can swap lines, or merely alter them to fit the personality the director/actor gears that particular character towards. They can make the lines funnier, more sardonic, grimmer, more whimsical, etc., depending on the guidelines put in place by the writers and actors as they develop their roles.

I see this as a very healthy process.

What I really hope to see is most of Tolkien's lines in the film. I've no problem with them adding dialogue (they absolutely have to), or even scenes, so long as the original story is there. In the LOTR films, Tolkien's lines were really a cut above most of the dialogue, and for a book fan, it was a little aggravating to not have more of it. In this scenario, however, there's arguably more than ample screen time to cover the book and add scenes only hinted at (White Council; Dol Goldur), so if Jackson doesn't spend two hours on the Battle of Five Armies, most of The Hobbit should come through intact.

sphdle1
Gondor

Mar 17 2011, 11:34am

Post #13 of 23 (728 views)
Shortcut
I really like Ian... [In reply to] Can't Post

The way he writes, he seems like quite a cat...i think it would be great to have an opportunity to sit and chat with him.

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

maut
Rivendell

Mar 17 2011, 11:44am

Post #14 of 23 (667 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great post! Nice too hear that the things are going on!
I'm so excited!

Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away ere break of day

To seek the pale enchanted gold.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 17 2011, 12:24pm

Post #15 of 23 (705 views)
Shortcut
This one of the reasons [In reply to] Can't Post

to why no other actor could play Gandalf.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Maddie
The Shire

Mar 17 2011, 2:57pm

Post #16 of 23 (593 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I so enjoy Sir Ian's updates. It would be wonderful to see just one photo of Peter and his actors together!!!

shadowdog
Rohan

Mar 17 2011, 4:07pm

Post #17 of 23 (617 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Wow, and Just Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

The journey is underway. *bouncing excitedly*

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Mar 17 2011, 7:26pm

Post #18 of 23 (514 views)
Shortcut
Edge of my seat // [In reply to] Can't Post

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

rings7
Rohan

Mar 17 2011, 8:57pm

Post #19 of 23 (543 views)
Shortcut
I'm still wondering... [In reply to] Can't Post

are they really starting this Monday?

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2011, 9:16pm

Post #20 of 23 (527 views)
Shortcut
March 21st... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is still a go, according to stars of the movie. Gandalf isn't needed until March 28th though.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 17 2011, 10:21pm

Post #21 of 23 (490 views)
Shortcut
God Bless Sir Ian. [In reply to] Can't Post

He is a godsend to we lovers of Middle-Earth, as it was. It is great to have his regular input. I do wonder why his fliming starts a week later than the others though? I know not everything is done sequentially, but Gadalf certainly shows up in The Shire before the Dwarves do. Are they doing the first part of The Troll scene first?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 17 2011, 11:38pm

Post #22 of 23 (464 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Well...seeing as one of the first sequences that Sir Ian filmed in LOTRwas The Grey Havens against a bluescreen, they could start with anything in TH. Like Mirkwood, where Gandalf is absent.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Mar 17 2011, 11:38pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 18 2011, 3:06pm

Post #23 of 23 (428 views)
Shortcut
My guess is that ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

When they start it's at Stone Street studios for the Interiors of Bilbo's Hobbit Hole...with the Dwarves over-runing the place...(to get the 13 into charater and used to their Prothetics)....since we only see them at the front door and inside... Then maybe a month from Now they would fly to Matamata for the exteriors of Hobbiton. along with traveling shots as they leave on their ponies and start their journey.
I'm Still really curious about Body-Doubles...Since Martin is so short and each of these guys are Taller maybe they don't need Body doubles for them...of Course Gandalf will need one, to appear much Taller then the rest.

There was some quote in the past that mentined they are going to start the Shooting at Stone Street, which is why I'm just taking a sorta-Educated Guess.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.