Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Anera Eht:
Gondor vs Rohan!!

Intergalactic Lawman
NahoR

Mar 16 2011, 7:39am

Post #1 of 16 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Gondor vs Rohan!! Can't Post

Hey guys,

I was having a chat with some of the guys from work about Lord of the Rings, and somehow the discussion turned to "What would have happened if Gondor and Rohan had gone to war against each other?"

It was a pretty interesting discussion -so I'm curious what you guys think...

If they did -who do you think would have the advantage? What sort of numbers do both sides have?

Thoughts?

Cool

Theoden
Erihs Eht

Mar 16 2011, 2:07pm

Post #2 of 16 (866 views)
Shortcut
Gondor [In reply to] Can't Post

Rohan has supreme cavalry but that's about it. There is no way in hell Rohan could conquer Minas Tirith.

Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises!
Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!

Death! Death!! DEATH!!!
Forth, Eorlingas!

Wraith Buster
Rodnog

Mar 16 2011, 3:51pm

Post #3 of 16 (847 views)
Shortcut
Rohan has horses- [In reply to] Can't Post

That has won many battles. Smile

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilė.

glorinfidell
Eerb

Mar 16 2011, 4:29pm

Post #4 of 16 (835 views)
Shortcut
Go Rohan!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Rohirrim musterd 6,000 spears on short notice. Gondor on the other hand only had about 5,000 men defending Minas Tirith. Rohan couldn't ever take Minas Tirith due to there lack of siege weapons. But I think they could win if they fought Gondor in a battle anywere else. The Gondorians also didn't have any spear men, so it would be hard to with stand a calalvary charge. So go Rohirrim!! Smile

(This post was edited by glorinfidell on Mar 16 2011, 4:29pm)

Gimli'sBox
Rodnog

Mar 16 2011, 4:36pm

Post #5 of 16 (906 views)
Shortcut
It would depend on what kind of assult. [In reply to] Can't Post

If It were against either one's city (or CITAY!! as Boromir would say) then I believe Gondor would win. Edoras is vulnerable, he knows this. Maybe if Rohan was at Helm's Deep they may stand a good chance. Especially if some hundred Elves come "bringing word from Rivendell". Cool

If it was an out right open field battle I think Rohan would win.

Even in the movies the Gondorians where *stupid* when it came to fighting. So once again if it was Movie-Rohan vs. Movie-Gondor, Rohan would win.

So all in all I think Rohan has the upper hand.

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing the evidently prefer.

(This post was edited by Gimli'sBox on Mar 16 2011, 4:37pm)

glorinfidell
Eerb

Mar 16 2011, 11:56pm

Post #6 of 16 (832 views)
Shortcut
Thats Ironic. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is Theoden Rooting for the Gondorians? Cool That dosn't seem right... Smile lol

tolkiennerd
Neirol

Mar 17 2011, 1:43am

Post #7 of 16 (1255 views)
Shortcut

Rohan has a large cavalry but no standing professional army and is technologically behide by about 200 - 300 years. Gondor dose have cavalry and all their troops have plate armour something no medieval army could have afforded so I would say Gondor would win.

witch king wraith
Erihs Eht

Mar 21 2011, 8:22pm

Post #8 of 16 (750 views)
Shortcut

in the 3rd age, Rohan would win because they have got Theadon and a great cavalry. Shocked

but in the 4th age, Gondor would win because thy have Aragorn as King!!!!! Shocked

Darkstone
Latrommi

Mar 21 2011, 9:08pm

Post #9 of 16 (745 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the year. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it was before 3019, Gondor would win because of Eowyn's stew.

If it was after 3019, Rohan would win because of Eowyn's stew.

If it was 3019, neither would win because they'd be blindsided by Isengard and Mordor.

From IMDB trivia:

"A scene was cut from the finished film that showed Eowyn (Miranda Otto) stripping away her regular clothes and then dressing herself in the armor of a Rohan warrior."

*Darkstone bangs head against wall*

Faenoriel
Aessere Lot

Mar 23 2011, 6:36pm

Post #10 of 16 (763 views)
Shortcut
During LotR : Rohan. Earlier, Gondor. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotįri
Aessere Lot

Mar 25 2011, 6:26pm

Post #11 of 16 (899 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If it was 3019, neither would win because they'd be blindsided by Isengard and Mordor.

So true Laugh

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

JasonTodd
Erihs Eht

Mar 27 2011, 11:54pm

Post #12 of 16 (1393 views)
Shortcut
Gondor! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night, No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might beware my power
Green Lanterns Light!!!Photobucket

Eruonen
Ronilav

May 26 2011, 6:49pm

Post #13 of 16 (697 views)
Shortcut
Ultimately, Gondor.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gondor had a far larger population base, was able to field the full complement of troop types, including cavalry, had catapults and other siege equipment. Assuming Gondor did not have to worry about other borders, they would have eventually occupied most of Rohan while chasing the scattered Rohhirim cavalry across the plains. All villages and farms would have been torched etc. It would become at best a guerrilla war on the part of Rohan.
Just because Minas Tirith was undermanned does not mean that was the available troop strength...per the books..only those who the provinces felt they could safely send were part of the garrison. Many more were retained.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on May 26 2011, 6:49pm)

SmeagoloftheStoors
Neirol

Jun 28 2011, 4:35am

Post #14 of 16 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Truthfuly [In reply to] Can't Post

In all honesty I dont know who would win. I think it would be determined by the tactics employed by either side. It seems to me to be alot like the wars of Edward I against Scotland. The English had supirior everything but in the end the Scots under Robert the Bruce employed ingenius tactics that threw the English off guard. If Gondor used a pike wall, which is very different than just spear men, to prevent the direct Frankish charge it would slow the Rohirrim greatly. But I think Theodin would have lead out in the pile formation which would nulify the effectivness of the wall. So the smart thing for Gondor to do would be to bait and ambush. The Gondorians should again use pikes, but take hedgehog formation. This clumps small masses of men together in the form of a circle with pikes facing all directions, and you use several of these groups to form a line. This prevents all forms of direct shock charges because it causes the line to break ranks. Then if the commander were on the same mindset as Eomer, he would command waves of horse archers to break up the clusters. If the Gondorian commander were smart he would have placed his front line of hedgehogs along the outskirts of a wooded area or ruined city. Because as any medieval combat leader would do; once the lines break, the cavalry gives chase. Well in the woods or ruins, the cavalry's lines break leaving isolated pokets of men that are easily swarmed by the troops that were in hiding. Archers could also be placed along the edge of the defencive position to thin the charging ranks and give cover to the retreating pikemen. All purely hypothetical, but based on known tactics of the middle ages.

Shameless promo of my reenactment groups site and forum.
www.orderoftherouseclan.org
www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com
Order Badge

warrioress
Erihs Eht

Oct 9 2011, 5:20pm

Post #15 of 16 (613 views)
Shortcut
No no no no! [In reply to] Can't Post

They shouldn't fight at all! I hate to think of Rohan and Gondor at war with each other! But I suppose if it did happen...Nooooooooooo! I just can't!

Ah well. I have to stick with Aragorn so my vote is for Gondor.

Oh and LOL at Darkstone Wink

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost...

(This post was edited by warrioress on Oct 9 2011, 5:21pm)

AncalagontheBlack
NahoR

Dec 6 2013, 12:02am

Post #16 of 16 (457 views)
Shortcut
Rohan [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.