Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*unlocks door* It's Friday - time for Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 12 2011, 10:51pm

Post #226 of 255 (392 views)
Shortcut
Good for you Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

You are a model of strength and healthy self awareness.

If they hadn't kept the morphine coming at regular intervals while in hospital I might not have "needed" more opiates on the way out the door. (ie If for no other reason than to step back down to ibuprofen.)

Opiates work brilliantly for pain. But, as you know, the longer you stay on them the harder it is to stop taking them. Many meds are like that though but without the stigma attached to them. For instance skipping a dose of blood pressure meds can cause a pain spike and a life threatening rise in BP. Withdrawal is a risk with many anti-depression meds as well. But no one would call someone a junkie because they can't just stop taking anti-depressants or BP meds.

On the other hand said withdrawal from opiates should not come without some soul searching, especially when there are alternatives that address one's lessening pain. Being honest about craving them for a few days, at least for me, was part of the healing process.

I'm happy to report too that I am not feeling so grumpy as I was earlier this week.Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 13 2011, 1:18am

Post #227 of 255 (400 views)
Shortcut
it's hard to assess what I was on in the hospital [In reply to] Can't Post

I had my gall bladder out when it was still major surgery. They told me what to expect after the surgery - I'd wake up in the recovery room and be moved... yadda yadda. I remember coming to and I could hear but I couldn't really see yet. I could hear someone screaming. Then I heard a nurse say, "Mrs. M. Mrs. M... do you have a low pain threshold." and I realized I was the one screaming. I do have a really low pain threshold but I had always been made to believe it was 'in my head'. When you wake up from surgery screaming, I don't think it's in your head. lol.

The next few days I begged for pain medication and they usually told me I couldn't have any more yet. They sent me home with Tylenol with Codeine but I only took a few before stopping.

Then, a month or two later, I had a bout of insomnia and I thought... I bet that Tylenol with codeine will make me sleep and I took one. I almost immediately had such severe abdominal pain it was if I was having another gall bladder attack. I did talk to the Dr later about it and she said codeine has that affect on some people. In retrospect, I have to wonder how much of the pain I was having in the hospital was due to the surgery and how much was due to a reaction to the pain meds.

The second surgery I had, I took that percocet and life was good. But by the third one, I was only sick. I just don't think I tolerate them well.

So, I wouldn't take any credit for having strength. I guess, after a lifetime of extreme nausea (most likely gall bladder problems before it was ever diagnosed), I just would rather have pain than nausea.

One thing to consider, as well. For my gall bladder surgery, I was still breast feeding. They told me I had to express and throw away my milk for two weeks because that's how long it took all the medication used during surgery (including anesthesia) to leave my system. Having that bit of info in my head, I could really tell as it did leave my system. I felt a lot better just around the two week mark. I don't think they really tell us how lingering that stuff is and for how long. So the 'not so grumpy' part could be due - in part - to that surgical medication leaving your system.

And I agree with all you said on medication in general (I had someone close to me go off their depression meds for some unknown, personal reason. This person crashed hard. So hard I called my husband home and made an emergency call to professionals they were seeing. It was one of the scariest things I've witnessed. It turns out, it was due to going cold turkey off their depression medication. I don't think they'll ever do that again.)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2011, 3:43am

Post #228 of 255 (437 views)
Shortcut
Well then - Many Happy Returns of the Day... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as long as they're healthy ones! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2011, 9:33am

Post #229 of 255 (406 views)
Shortcut
Wonder of Wonder! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had an abrupt change of direction. It was sunny yesterday and got up to almost 60 deg. F. We went out and looked around. Our daffodils, crocus, hyacinths, and tulips are poking their leaves up. The snowdrops are up and blooming. My flowering quince has tons of blossoms coming along. I guess spring is on the way -- it was just covered up by the 6 inches of snow!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2011, 10:43am

Post #230 of 255 (398 views)
Shortcut
He did great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so proud of him, there was quite a crowd, but he didn't seem to mind at all, did all his demonstrations perfectly! Though, he did run to the audience for a fuss and a cuddle a couple of times, but I really can't blame him for that!

It was lots of fun spending the day with so many dogs, looking forward to going back next year!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2011, 12:31pm

Post #231 of 255 (395 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

how the spring flowers seem to survive the snow and cold, and poof! there they are!

We haven't seen any green stuff here in Chicago. Not even buds on the trees.Unsure

Well, no green except for the Chicago River, which was dyed a vivid green on Saturday for St. Patrick's Day.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 13 2011, 12:32pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2011, 12:45pm

Post #232 of 255 (388 views)
Shortcut
Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

They really did dye the river? How in the world...no, why in the world! Crazy

I understand you just got another "dusting" the other day...Tongue

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2011, 1:33pm

Post #233 of 255 (387 views)
Shortcut
It always amazes me [In reply to] Can't Post

how tough plants and trees are to just "wake up" from such deep, relentless cold. Spring really does bring hope and fresh starts :)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2011, 1:35pm

Post #234 of 255 (382 views)
Shortcut
Good boy, Scout!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The crowd didn't bother him because he was with YOU!!! It was just him and you! Then he treats himself to sideline praise. He really is a fantastic pup :) I'm so happy he came into your little family!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2011, 1:36pm

Post #235 of 255 (388 views)
Shortcut
It's time to watch [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fugitive with Harrison Ford! They celebrate St. Patty's Day there, too ;)

sample sample

Unused Scenes

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2011, 2:01pm

Post #236 of 255 (456 views)
Shortcut
Been doing it for decades [In reply to] Can't Post

They switched to a safe, vegetable dye a few years ago that works quite well. Of course, the river is usually green, but it's really green on St. Patrick's Day.

There's a fountain at Daley Plaza in the center of the Loop that is also dyed green - see here.

Snow's mostly gone, but it's COLD. Almost freezing today and windy.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2011, 6:15pm

Post #237 of 255 (388 views)
Shortcut
That is - green! [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look rather nice, however - it's not an "algae-green"! Laugh

How long does it take the water to resume its normal color?

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2011, 6:20pm

Post #238 of 255 (379 views)
Shortcut
That must take an enormous amount of dye [In reply to] Can't Post

any idea how much?

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2011, 6:23pm

Post #239 of 255 (387 views)
Shortcut
That does have a pleasant melody! [In reply to] Can't Post

But then, we always knew that there was a connection between music and math, didn't we! Cool

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2011, 8:43pm

Post #240 of 255 (386 views)
Shortcut
Yep, and the toughest are weeds! [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit was pulling out weeds today as he was picking up twigs from the heavy snow and heavy wind.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2011, 8:47pm

Post #241 of 255 (473 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine that because Chicago is so much colder than we are that you are a week or two behind us on spring moving north!

Chicago takes St. Patrick's Day seriously, doesn't it. I think we have more Germans here than Irish, and there isn't much official celebration.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 13 2011, 10:00pm

Post #242 of 255 (388 views)
Shortcut
Submission goes out, rejection comes in - It's the circle of life... [In reply to] Can't Post

Two days. That's not quite a record, but it's darn fast! I'm not sorry I sent the piece out, I just wish the next two magazines on my list weren't both closed to new submissions for the week. The waiting is so much easier when the piece is out there and the whole process is out of my hands.

Guess I need to write some more in the meantime. They say you have to write a million words before you get published. I'm only up to 200,000.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 14 2011, 12:10am

Post #243 of 255 (385 views)
Shortcut
My snowdrop got snowed on last week, but I saw honeybees in the crocus blooms yesterday. Must be March! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 14 2011, 1:34am

Post #244 of 255 (393 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns (of your birthday) and [In reply to] Can't Post

profound thanks for your willingness to tackle the forces of evil Evil

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2011, 2:03am

Post #245 of 255 (375 views)
Shortcut
It's back to normal the next day [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the river about 3 pm yesterday and most of the artificial green was gone.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2011, 2:11am

Post #246 of 255 (408 views)
Shortcut
Can't find much information [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently the recipe is a secret, and the few sites I googled didn't say how much dye is used. They use these giant buckets of the dye from several boats.

Here's a set of photos that show the process step by step.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Mar 14 2011, 3:29pm

Post #247 of 255 (363 views)
Shortcut
But... but... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's VIRTUAL paper! Crazy

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Mar 14 2011, 3:34pm

Post #248 of 255 (366 views)
Shortcut
You're going about it right! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to work commissioned sales and honestly, writing IS "commissioned sales" with the caveat that you also have to MAKE the product you're selling!
But you're exactly right in your mindset to be successful: every "no" you get is one step towards the ONE "yes" that you need. Never take "no's" personally and always look forward to them as part of the "path" to the one yes required to make it all worthwhile.
I think you're much more likely to succeed at this than I am but best of SKILL to us BOTH!
Well done, AD!

GAndyalf

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Mar 14 2011, 3:38pm

Post #249 of 255 (378 views)
Shortcut
How odd, Magpie... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm lucky that I have a fairly high pain tolerance to begin with. That said, for lots of slightly-above-minor aches motrin appears to be the prescription of choice, but it has no affect on my pain at all. Even the top-end 800mg prescription stuff. Meanwhile percocet is one of the few that do a very effective job on my pain and again, luckily, I haven't found a single med yet that actually does make me drowsy though most of the prescription pain meds say they might.

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Mar 14 2011, 3:45pm

Post #250 of 255 (367 views)
Shortcut
and that's a plus for both! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.