Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*unlocks door* It's Friday - time for Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 11 2011, 5:04pm

Post #1 of 255 (2738 views)
Shortcut
*unlocks door* It's Friday - time for Fiesta! Can't Post

Welcome, one and all, to yet another Fiesta Friday!

I shall be tending the bar today as our esteemed barkeeper, Altaira, received a sudden business offer she “couldn’t refuse”!

First of all, I would like to make an ANNOUNCEMENT: After our last troll attack, which occurred in the wee hours of the morning (U.S. time), it was decided that it would be an excellent idea to have a Superuser available on-site 24/7.

So let’s have a round of applause for our newest Superuser: the lovely and fearless Ataahua! Cool

There’s plenty of drinks behind the bar here, hot cocoa and fizzy drinks as well, and make-your-own pizzas: help yourself to the toppings – extra cheese, mushrooms, olives, pepperoni, sausage, peppers, onions, grilled chicken, and more!

On a more serious note, we need to send out thoughts and prayers to the good people of Japan, who now must deal with the devastation of an incredibly powerful earthquake and tsunami. And let us continue to keep those in Christchurch in our thoughts and prayers, as well. Unsure Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2011, 5:08pm

Post #2 of 255 (1933 views)
Shortcut
I woke this morning to a knocking [In reply to] Can't Post

but it turned out to be a woodpecker, just beyond my bedroom window. The early morning birds are really ramping it up now, and, thanks to DST (not!) they will be waking me even earlier after tomorrow. But it's nice to know spring is really just around the corner.

I think a mimosa would be a good thing to have, liquid sunshine. And I'm off to have brunch with a friend and I might have one there too.

Happy weekend, everyone!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 11 2011, 5:12pm

Post #3 of 255 (1916 views)
Shortcut
Liquid sunshine, coming your way! [In reply to] Can't Post

We've had woodpeckers all winter, they love the suet we put out.

But I don't like them pecking on my house! Tongue

*hands Elberbeth some ear plugs* Maybe this will help...? Evil

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2011, 5:12pm

Post #4 of 255 (1944 views)
Shortcut
What a Friday! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess today is a hot chocolate day – rum for OhioHobbit’s!

It was terrible to wake up to the news that there had been another horrific earthquake – this time in Japan. I hope all the islands in the Pacific got tsunami warnings in time

We had two days of heavy rains and this morning we woke up to a wet heavy snowfall. This is the kind of snow that knocks out our electricity! Some trees are bent down to the ground and OhioHobbit heard a tree come down in our woods when he was out taking pictures. The eastern side of Ohio is under a flood watch. I would imagine that the western side of Pennsylvania is also, but they are not in our TV station’s area. It is supposed to rain and snow for the next few days.

And to top it off, the time changes in the U.S. Even though I am not working, just the sun being in a different place for a given time makes me crazy. I will be out of sorts for a couple of weeks. I wonder just how much electricity is actually saved by daylight savings. Instead of turning lights on in the evening, I turn them on in the morning!

Our plans for the weekend include staying snug on our hilltop. I’ll bet there are lots of flooded roads.

Hope everyone stays warm and dry, or in the southern hemisphere, stays cool and dry. Have a wonderful weekend and a better week next week.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2011, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 255 (1945 views)
Shortcut
I went to the dentist =o( [In reply to] Can't Post

I had some work done on my bad tooth, which really hurt, and I have to go back in a couple of weeks for a root canal procedure. Ouchie! Not a fan of the dentist at all Frown

I've had the day off work today, we took Scout out for a hike this morning, and this afternoon I've been working on a couple of cakes. Tomorrow is Scout's big day at Crufts, doing heelwork demonstrations, so I will have to give him a good groom tonight! You'd never guess he had white paws under all that mud!

Lots of bird activity at our feeders this week, (they are emptying them almost daily), so I guess Spring really is creeping in!

Happy weekend all x

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 11 2011, 5:15pm

Post #6 of 255 (1929 views)
Shortcut
*gets out the dark rum* [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoa! I hope those branches there didn't snap under all that weight! That's the kind of snow that looks lovely, but can do a lot of damage. Unsure

Staying snug sounds just right, though. And keep warm! Smile

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2011, 5:16pm

Post #7 of 255 (1910 views)
Shortcut
Woodpeckers are no way to wake up! [In reply to] Can't Post

We live in a log house and waking up to a pileated taking chunks out of the house is a real thrill! Finally got the bug larvae killed and plugged the hole. No trouble since!

acheron
Gondor

Mar 11 2011, 5:16pm

Post #8 of 255 (1948 views)
Shortcut
news about baby acheron [In reply to] Can't Post

Found out this week that the baby we're expecting that's due in July is going to be a boy! I've been predicting girl all along, so apparently my feelings and predictions are not very good. Cool

It seems more "real" now that we know. Still seems a long way away though, but I know it will be here before we know it.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 11 2011, 5:17pm

Post #9 of 255 (1932 views)
Shortcut
you know, the world could use a few RL super-users right now... [In reply to] Can't Post

My heart aches for all the people dealing with troubles around the world right now..I wish we had some super-users to stop the human caused tragedies, at least, and to wave a magic wand for those impacted by such horrific natural disasters.

Glad to know our own little borders here have gotten some extra protection -- we are most definitely well cared for here. To our new Super-User!

Off to do all the work I did not do this morning, so I will just take a coffee to go! My
son is home from college here, so we've had a lovely week with him and his wonderful girlfriend. Here's to safe travels for all the college kids on spring break in the northern part of the planet -- and to arrival of spring next week for all of us who have really been having a hard time waiting for it to show up!

Weaver

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Post #10 of 255 (1931 views)
Shortcut
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats, Ataahua! :D

It's been a crazy, up and down week. It's calmed down to a rather quiet day in jury duty (with horribly slow internet). I'm working on my midterms, one of which I'll post in the fan art board once I'm finished.

I am going to a job interview straight after, however, so hopefully it'll go well. It's right on the coast, too, so hopefully all this tsunami warning stuff will be through by the time I go later this afternoon. My thoughts are definitely going out to Japan right now; absolutely insane, the devastation.

This weekend? More work on my midterm projects. So... much... work. *collapse*

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Post #11 of 255 (1936 views)
Shortcut
In honour of a wonderful discussion... [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly I mistakenly came here YESTERDAY thinking it was Fiesta time! hehe Not working can be REALLY BAD for one's sense of Time! Crazy

But in honour of some of this board's Harry Potter fans trying to "edumucate" me on some of the finer points of motivation of that series' arch enemy I choose an obscure song from a Scottish "one-hit wonder" band from the 1970s <drops dime in jukebox>: http://www.youtube.com/...cyc&feature=fvst Laugh

My blog is starting sluggishly, but it IS starting. Some news on the other fronts, PM if you wish about those.

Finally on a TOTALLY NOT Hobbit/LotR note, GO BUCKEYES! (Big Ten Tournament as we type).

Best to all, DREAM well!
GAndyalf

Edit: Oh, and with dernwyn and Snoopy I'll have a tall root beer!

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

(This post was edited by GAndyalf on Mar 11 2011, 5:20pm)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2011, 5:18pm

Post #12 of 255 (1975 views)
Shortcut
You have my sincerest . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

sympathy on a root canal job!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2011, 5:19pm

Post #13 of 255 (1914 views)
Shortcut
Gives you lots . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

of time to find the perfect LOTR name for the little guy!

acheron
Gondor

Mar 11 2011, 5:21pm

Post #14 of 255 (1941 views)
Shortcut
the TORN facebook page asked if anyone named their children after Tolkien characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted that I was kind of considering "Beren", but probably not. Wink

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Post #15 of 255 (1921 views)
Shortcut
All right! I'm here in time for once! [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem with having Fiesta on Friday is that I'm so often out of town or going places and doing things, so will go a month at a time, sometimes, without getting to sit around the bar and visit with my 'sibs.

But I'm here today, on a lovely spring day, counting my blessings after yet another round of disaster for those on the Pacific Rim -- and in the midst of the Pacific, for that matter. Whew!

I'll have a nice comforting cocoa, and raise my cup to Ataahua, yes -- may the hair on her toes grow ever longer!

*stuffs tip jar with redbud and dogwood blossoms*

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Patty
Immortal

Post #16 of 255 (1929 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Ataahua, for taking on this added responsiblity.... [In reply to] Can't Post

to help keep at bay all those who are, well let's just call it like it is, "Kill-joys".

Prayers for all who have been or are continuing to be, in harm's way.

Now, where's that K&C I'm hankering for?Sly

Y'all be safe.

Patty

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Mar 11 2011, 5:22pm

Post #17 of 255 (1975 views)
Shortcut
WHOO HOOOO!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's SO AWESOME! I wanted a girl-child since I was 16 and I got a boy. You're gonna have SOOOOO much FUN!!!

Congradultashunz!

sample

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 11 2011, 5:23pm

Post #18 of 255 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Hi all. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi d, i will have a spicy ginger ale please.

It seems like the tetonic trolls are having at it this year. Japan is trying so hard still to recover from past money woes and this is worse. Thoughts and prayers are on their way. They are a strong and resilient people too. They will overcome this in the end i believe.

We got utter torrents here for 24hrs and we are now snow-free and warmer. It is good to see green ground. High hopes for a flower or two soon.

I got a surprize from OhioHobbit in disk form that is a very interesting story of finding property and the fun journey of building his dream log home and it entails a detailed building plan that he did. I am really enjoying it. I am on page 18 of 28 now. Hail to you OH and your accomplishments, well done (disk and the house that is:) ).

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

GAndyalf
Valinor

Mar 11 2011, 5:23pm

Post #19 of 255 (1916 views)
Shortcut
That's my son's name... [In reply to] Can't Post

What better name than the one that adorns Tolkien's own grave in Wolvercote?

sample

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 11 2011, 5:24pm

Post #20 of 255 (1934 views)
Shortcut
Look what the cat dragged in ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

.... me! lol, heya dernwyn, what's upppp??? Hope all is well, and congrats to our newest superdeeduper user, Ataahua :-).

I'll have a large piece of pie slopping over with luscious caloric deliciousness, extra pepperoni and a large glass of sparkling mineral water with lime to wash that down with, please and thank ya!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 11 2011, 5:26pm

Post #21 of 255 (1912 views)
Shortcut
Happy weekend to you, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our birds are singing, too -- the mockingbirds, both the white-winged and mourning doves, the cardinals. The female cardinal keeps hurling herself against my office window, thinking she sees a rival Crazy , so I'm getting some knocking, too.

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2011, 5:27pm

Post #22 of 255 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy your son's visit . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

and try to enjoy the work!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2011, 5:28pm

Post #23 of 255 (1899 views)
Shortcut
Good luck on your . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

job interview!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 11 2011, 5:28pm

Post #24 of 255 (1912 views)
Shortcut
A beautiful photo, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm sure you're ready for warmth, sunshine, and some peace and quiet. I agree with you about daylight savings -- it seems to me as though the authorities are just shifting electricity use from evening to morning. But what do I know?

A better week next week to you, too!

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 11 2011, 5:29pm

Post #25 of 255 (1918 views)
Shortcut
We've had typical Colorado weather this week. [In reply to] Can't Post

Frigid, sub-freezing temps on Monday, and highs near 70 today. Crazy

I hope Altaira's business offer didn't involve a dude in a fedora and pin-striped suit carrying a violin case. Shocked

We have new neighbors upstairs. They moved in the first of the month. So far they've been quiet, which is all we really ask for. The sound protection in our complex is crap, so we hear everything. So if they complicate it by playing their music way too loud or something, it can be pretty miserable. No sign of it so far, though. Knock on wood...

My mom apparently has this brilliant idea that my sister and I should start spending a few nights at her house now, because she's got no one to talk to.

Um, no.

If she's bored she can call her friends during the day and find stuff to do on her own time. She doesn't need to suck up our free time, too.

Her nieces and nephew were able to spend a lot of time with their mom (my aunt) because, first of all, they're retired and had the time to coddle her. And second, in the year or so before her death, my aunt had gotten to the stage where she couldn't live on her own. Plus, she probably treated them with respect, and they probably liked her. Unimpressed

There's not a damn thing wrong with my mom except ordinary old-people ailments plus a few imaginary ills.

When it gets to the point where mom isn't able to live alone, we're going to be in a quandary, because there's no way it would work to have her live with us. We don't get along well enough to spend more than a few hours in each other's company. And it's that long only because I'm biting my tongue and fighting to keep my temper. I'd go stark raving crackers if I couldn't get away from her at all...

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.