Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
What company toy company do you think will continue what Toy Biz started?

bgiles73
The Shire

Mar 9 2011, 1:39pm

Post #1 of 12 (815 views)
Shortcut
What company toy company do you think will continue what Toy Biz started? Can't Post

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I am wondering, if any companies are now looking at producing a line of figures for " The Hobbit"? I've heard rumors about Hasbro, but so far I've heard no confirmation. Will whaterver company that get these continue in the 6" scale like ToyBiz? Or will they start all over in another scale? I'm hoping for two lines a 6" line by NECA and a 3 3/4" scale by Hasbro ( Army building would be great in this scale) ! There was an ongoing thread about this at thegreendragon.com and since that site is no more I'm really missing following that thread. Hopefully, this thread will lead a reveal of who will be next up to finish what Toy Biz started!

Patty
Immortal

Mar 12 2011, 1:55pm

Post #2 of 12 (578 views)
Shortcut
Burger King? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

In all seriousness, though, I hope there will be a way that folks who can't afford higher end toys like those from Hasbro etc. can get in on the action figure game, as we did with Fellowship.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Mar 12 2011, 11:54pm

Post #3 of 12 (632 views)
Shortcut
I'm just going to.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Go through the drive through and get ten kid's meals just to get the action figures. Oh yes my precious very nice!Wink

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilė.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 13 2011, 6:27pm

Post #4 of 12 (677 views)
Shortcut
I was fortunate with the BK toys... [In reply to] Can't Post

the employees just let me buy the toys for under $2 each--don't remember exactly how much. I didn't have to eat all that unhealthy food.Smile

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

tolkiennerd
Lorien

Mar 14 2011, 6:47pm

Post #5 of 12 (511 views)
Shortcut
re [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know but I hope someone keeps making them I loved collecting them. I hope it's not Hasbro thought I was very diapointed in thier Naria line and don't care much for 3 3/4 inch figures.

bgiles73
The Shire

Mar 14 2011, 7:36pm

Post #6 of 12 (507 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit action figures [In reply to] Can't Post

That was Jakks that did the Narnia line. I thought they were pretty bad too. Hasbro is at the top when it comes to 3 3/4" scale figures, which I hope they get a license for that scale. As someone who collected the Lord of the Rings 6" line, I hope that NECA will continue with a line comparable to the Toy Biz line. Not to many licenses go all out in 6" scale anymore due to all the rising oil prices, so I'm sure anything done in that scale will be limited to just a few characters. Our hopes for an extended lineup will probaly have to be the smaller scale. I've been a collector of the Hasbro Star Wars and GI Joe lines for years, so I wouldn't be discouraged if they got The Hobbit and LOTR licenses.

In Reply To

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 14 2011, 8:12pm

Post #7 of 12 (532 views)
Shortcut
My favorite line of LOTR figures was the AOME figures [In reply to] Can't Post

They're listed as 3".

They were, overall, well made and easier for me to collect due to their smaller size. I had to superglue parts together, people onto horses or weapons into hands, figures onto bases. But once superglued, they stay put. The ToyBiz figures were almost impossible to stand on their own. I bought a lot of stands for them that are no longer made and even then, the joints sag and they lean and finally fall over. If the Army of Middle-earth figures had been available from the get-go, I would have stuck specifically with them.

I also have a few of the LOTR hex game figures. They were cool, and even smaller. But acquiring them was strictly hit and miss. I don't like that approach to collecting. (Magic the Card Game was first described to me as 'crack for gamers' and that's about it. One just keep buying and buying and buying hoping to get a desirable card. The hex game system is pretty much the same). Plus, there's a high percentage of Shadow figures and I wasn't keen on collecting them.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 14 2011, 10:01pm

Post #8 of 12 (628 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, they were quite disappointing [In reply to] Can't Post

especially compared to the LOTR line by ToyBiz.

Since then plastic model printers have been invented. These devices scan something and then spit out an exact 3D model. There really is no reason for action figures not to be as true to life as the ToyBiz models were.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2011, 5:02pm

Post #9 of 12 (790 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

They charged me a dollar for each one. AND they let me paw through the box of figures to find what I wanted. Loved those figures. They did a great job with that one considering they were for mass market and put into kid's meals!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 18 2011, 5:02pm)

stormcrow20
Gondor

Mar 21 2011, 9:25pm

Post #10 of 12 (705 views)
Shortcut
NECA, hopefully. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've offered my take on this before, most recently here. My hopes aren't very high for good figures from The Hobbit. The toy industry has changed. Prices have gone up and companies are moving to a smaller scale. Toy Biz gave us quality action figures in the six-inch scale, with excellent sculpts, details, articulation and multiple accessories...and it was an extensive assortment with many minor characters and random soldiers. It would be a miracle if someone were to tackle that today.

I agree that NECA is our best (if not only) hope for six inch figures even close to the wonderful quality we got from Toy Biz. But their assortments are usually very limited (they have yet to make many key characters from Harry Potter). Hasbro is the best for three to four inch figures, but they are only now beginning to master the actor likenesses and articulation in this scale. All we can do is hope for the best, as merchandising will soon be underway, if not already.

A greenlight from the shadows shall spring!

bgiles73
The Shire

Mar 25 2011, 4:48pm

Post #11 of 12 (819 views)
Shortcut
Diamond Select Toys? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking at pictures of The Red Skull from DST's Marvel Select offering for the new Captain America movie and thought maybe they could do a few for The Hobbit! They did a Minimates line for The Lord of the Ring a few years back. I'd still want Hasbro running a 4" scale line simultaneously though. I'm going to want all the characters they show on the screen and I doubt they'll do that in a 6" scale this time around. Heres a link to The Red Skull:
http://www.figures.com/...elect-red-skull.html

mrlordoftherings

Jul 9 2011, 2:17am

Post #12 of 12 (483 views)
Shortcut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbzOpvmzFk [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey guys my collection hope you enjoy

NEXT IS HOBBIT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbzOpvmzFk

(This post was edited by mrlordoftherings on Jul 9 2011, 2:19am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.