Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Fun with Spellcheck! Chapter 1

Aerlinn
Lorien

Jul 13 2007, 11:16pm

Views: 286
Shortcut
Fun with Spellcheck! Chapter 1 Can't Post

Spellcheck is not what you'd call familiar with Tolkien. Anyone who's written or reviewed just about anything from LotR (et al) on a Word document will have seen a page full of squiggly red lines, and probably got a good snortle or three out of what Spellcheck suggested as "corrections" for words not in its dictionary. (It didn't even give suggestions for entries like Alcarinquë, Akallabêth and Ainulindalë – it just sort of threw up its digital hands in despair.) Thus I give you: Fun with Spellcheck!

I did this once or twice a long time ago with a passage from LotR, but this time I figured I'd use a list of the entries from The Encyclopedia of Arda. I admit to choosing the funniest option offered, but I didn't make any of these up. Enjoy!

Adalgrim Took becomes Anagram Took
Adrahil, captain to Ondoher becomes Handrail, captain to Londoner
Aduial becomes Admiral
Adûnaic becomes Adenoid
Adurant becomes Adjutant
Aegnor becomes Avenger
Aeluin becomes Alvin
Aerandir becomes Abrader
Aerin becomes Airing (Sorry, Our Aerin!)
Agarwaen becomes Agrarian
Agathurush becomes Amateurish
Aghan becomes Afghan
Aglarond becomes Aileron
Aglon becomes Gallon
Aiglos becomes Anglos
Ailinel becomes Airline
Aiwendil becomes Airedale
Alatar becomes Avatar
Alatáriel becomes Alas Ariel
Alcarin, heir of Tar-Vanimeldë becomes Alarming, heir of Tar-Ganymede
Alcarondas becomes Jacarandas
Aldalómë becomes Alderwomen
Aldudénië becomes Albumenize
Aldúya becomes Latoya
Algund becomes Laguna
Almaida becomes Alameda
Almaren becomes Almoner
Almarian becomes Dalmatian
Almiel becomes Balmier
Alqualondë becomes Aquaplaned

(And just because: Here's that introduction…

Spellchecker is not what you'd call familiar with Talkies. Anyone who's written or reviewed just about anything from Looter (et al) on a Word document will have seen a page full of squiggly red lines, and probably got a good shortly or three out of what Spellchecker suggested as "corrections" for words not in its dictionary. (It didn't even give suggestions for entries like Alcarinquë, Akallabêth and Ainulindalë – it just sort of threw up its digital hands in despair.) Thus I give you: Fun with Spellchecker!

I did this once or twice a long time ago with a passage from Lott, but this time I figured I'd use a list of the entries from The Encyclopedia of Radar. I admit to choosing the funniest option offered, but I didn't make any of these up.)

Aerlinn's Law #17: "He who wants a rose must respect the thorn."
~~~~ Persian Proverb

"She who wants a Captain must respect the horn."
~~~B-Girl Proverb

Subject User Time
Fun with Spellcheck! Chapter 1 Aerlinn Send a private message to Aerlinn Jul 13 2007, 11:16pm
    ROFL! Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 14 2007, 12:04am
    Oh, too funny! GreenHeart Send a private message to GreenHeart Jul 14 2007, 3:19am
    These are cracking me up Radhruin Send a private message to Radhruin Jul 14 2007, 6:33am
    Go linners!!!! :D grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 14 2007, 10:51am
    Alarming, heir of Tar-Ganymede! luinfalathiel Send a private message to luinfalathiel Jul 16 2007, 4:24am
    Heeee! GaladrielTX Send a private message to GaladrielTX Jul 16 2007, 5:15pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.