Gladiator
View Results (24 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 4 2011, 12:16pm

Post #1 of 29 (499 views)
Shortcut
Braveheart or Gladiator? Can't Post

Two pretty similar movies, both praised by critics and fans (both movies won the Best Picture at the Oscars).

I like both but my vote goes to Braveheart, I love the music and I have always had a soft spot for Scotland.

The question is, which one do you prefer and why?

Patty
Immortal

Mar 4 2011, 12:45pm

Post #2 of 29 (312 views)
Shortcut
Braveheart. This was Mel back in his sane days... [In reply to] Can't Post

or perhaps just when he hid it better. Crowe always was a hothead.

No, seriously, with respect to the films themselves, which is all that really should matter, I am a lover of Scotland, too. I love the music as well, and the basic premise of the story--when it didn't stray off into non-factual territory. Wallace's speech to his troupes was awesome to.

Admittedly, I've never seen Gladiator because I had no wish to see it. So my vote doesn't really count.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2011, 2:17pm

Post #3 of 29 (309 views)
Shortcut
Gladiator [In reply to] Can't Post

They're both historically innacurate, so the history nerd in me must suffer which ever I chose, and yet they're still historical action/adventure, so the history nerd in me enjoys. Uhh...

Gotta love those crazy Romans. Antiquity, the Roman Empire, the Legions, the gladiators themselves... I love it all to death. Heart

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 4 2011, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 29 (314 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen Gladiator. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I love the Braveheart score. James Horner is one of my favorite movie score composers.

I also enjoyed the movie.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2011, 4:18pm

Post #5 of 29 (308 views)
Shortcut
Geez...tough choice.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked Braveheart though. This was one of 'those' great movies for me.....really liked all the scottish stuff and of course the fightin'. I watched this one a few times over the year. But Gladiator is right up there in the same kinda spot......I tend to watch Gladiator a bit more now though, as Braveheart is appearing a bit aged nowadays.....could just be the versions on tv....

Nuradar
Rohan

Mar 4 2011, 5:52pm

Post #6 of 29 (304 views)
Shortcut
excellent (and tought) question! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the others who have seen both, I like them both. Both have epic stories, larger than life characters, etc..

But I have a choice to make here, and I'm going to go with Braveheart. Why? I connected to it more emotionally than with Gladiator. Maybe it was the music, maybe it was Mel's acting/directing, maybe it was the fact that it was more 'outdoors-y". I love outdoor scenic landscapes.

Anyway, loved them both, but I'm going with Braveheart for those reasons.

Ref
Rivendell

Mar 4 2011, 8:50pm

Post #7 of 29 (320 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
They're both historically innacurate, so the history nerd in me must suffer which ever I chose, and yet they're still historical action/adventure, so the history nerd in me enjoys. Uhh...

Gotta love those crazy Romans. Antiquity, the Roman Empire, the Legions, the gladiators themselves... I love it all to death. Heart

I'm with you, Faenoriel. And I would say that Gladiator was a more complete film, more epic if you get my meaning.

Also, being mostly English, I found Braveheart left a bad taste in the mouth Frown

KAOS82
Rohan

Mar 5 2011, 1:57am

Post #8 of 29 (282 views)
Shortcut
Gladiator all the way!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm too partial cause I'm italian but I've never liked Braveheart, the story is nice but no so captivating as Gladiator
then if I have to choose between Gibson and Crowe I say Russell without any kinda doubt
"AL MIO SEGNALE SCATENATE L'INFERNO"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2011, 2:21am

Post #9 of 29 (280 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, [In reply to] Can't Post

Mel's antics have tainted all of his films for me - as with Tom Cruise I don't see the character, I see Malicious Mel. I do remember really liking Braveheart but I'm not interested in seeing it again.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 5 2011, 2:31am

Post #10 of 29 (300 views)
Shortcut
same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy the score for Braveheart very much. I haven't seen Gladiator and I attended a screening of Braveheart but I haven't seen that one, either. I pretty much spent the whole movie with my shirt neck pulled over my face. I couldn't take the violence in it.

My favorite part of the Braveheart score is where there are lots of horns that start blowing. I don't know which track it is.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2011, 6:10am

Post #11 of 29 (279 views)
Shortcut
I'll watch Braveheart over and over but I didn't like Gladiator at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Why? Maybe just because I saw Braveheart first. Maybe I prefer Scottish accents and music. Maybe I just like all those guys in long hair and skirts.

FREEDOM!

(This post was edited by Finding Frodo on Mar 5 2011, 6:12am)

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2011, 6:52am

Post #12 of 29 (270 views)
Shortcut
I prefer Gladiator [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a tough choice between the two, but I liked Gladiator more. I can't put my finger on why... maybe Mel Gibson seemed the wrong age for the part? I dunno. But being a descendent of the Wallace clan, I'd have liked something a little more historically accurate because of it being about my ancestral background (I blame my grandmother, the geneaologist, for that.)

I think the one thing that always sticks out to me from Gladiator is that the little boy that played Maximus' son looks a lot like a kid my mom used to do daycare for, a kid who I think of as a surrogate little brother. That leads me to have a stronger reaction to his few spots in the movie.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 5 2011, 8:34am

Post #13 of 29 (266 views)
Shortcut
Braveheart - by miles and miles [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing wrong with Gladiator, a fine film, but for me, it doesn't touch Braveheart.

The Patriot is a similar movie that I wouldn't watch again unless highly paid. Braveheart captured some alchemic magic.

acheron
Gondor

Mar 5 2011, 4:35pm

Post #14 of 29 (276 views)
Shortcut
hello cousin [In reply to] Can't Post

I am descended from the Wallace clan too.

acheron
Gondor

Mar 5 2011, 4:39pm

Post #15 of 29 (324 views)
Shortcut
I'm really into Roman history [In reply to] Can't Post

so I loved Gladiator. (despite its historical inaccuracies) Also think Hans Zimmer's soundtrack to Gladiator is his best, and it's one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Braveheart is excellent too, of course.

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2011, 6:00am

Post #16 of 29 (255 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Always good to meet a relative! Cool

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 6 2011, 5:50pm

Post #17 of 29 (245 views)
Shortcut
"Do you like movies about gladiators?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh couldn't resist

I'm in the Braveheart camp as well though Gladiator is on my list of favourites too.

(Not that I'm trying to defend his behaviour but is it not true that head (brain) trauma can lead to personality disorders, and that these sometimes take years to show up?)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2011, 8:35pm

Post #18 of 29 (251 views)
Shortcut
Demonizing entire nations [In reply to] Can't Post

is always a sign of bad film making.

Actually, it's a sign of bad anything.

Hamfast
Rohan

Mar 6 2011, 9:15pm

Post #19 of 29 (246 views)
Shortcut

Very well done film, and I love Hans Zimmer's score. Particularly "The Battle"

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 6 2011, 9:32pm

Post #20 of 29 (281 views)
Shortcut
Here I disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because something, be it a country, is portrayed as evil, does not make it "bad film-making". With this logic one could complain Mordor is treated unfairly in LOTR - yes, it's not a country, but it's the same thing really. It would be really dreary if everything has to be portrayed in a static way.

Remember, Braveheart is fiction. Based upon historic events yes, but fiction none the less.

acheron
Gondor

Mar 7 2011, 12:35am

Post #21 of 29 (243 views)
Shortcut
I don't know much about it unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a lot of genealogy info, but none from that part of the family. Maybe sometime I will try to research it.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2011, 3:05am

Post #22 of 29 (271 views)
Shortcut
Making entire nation of humans bad is bad [In reply to] Can't Post

and fiction is not "just fiction", it's thoughts one person communicates to group of other persons. It actually matters. It changes things. It's never "just entertainement". So making all Englishmen bad guys is wrong, and yes, it's bad story telling and bad movie making.

As for Mordor and orcs, that's actually one of Tolkien's weak points, and he acknowledged the problem himself, so I believe I have the right to say it's not entirely unquestionable to have a whole race of sentinent beings you can kill in masses without having to feel any bad about it.

But yeah, I guess we just have to agree to dissagree.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Mar 7 2011, 3:06am)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2011, 5:12am

Post #23 of 29 (290 views)
Shortcut

But that's perhaps that's just because it had such an impact on me, personally. It was the perfect movie, at a perfect time in my life, which coincided with several related matters, that ultimately -even if indirectly- shaped me as the person I am today... so I can't really be objective about it. Wink

Zizix
Rivendell

Mar 7 2011, 4:17pm

Post #24 of 29 (255 views)
Shortcut
I've only seen Braveheart, so eh, tough choice [In reply to] Can't Post

Concerning the evil countries debate, I never got the impression that Braveheart portrayed all English as evil (nor all the Scots as goodguys). The king and some officers were being evil, their soldiers were doing whatever they were told, as they usually do in films, and there wasn't much of a general populace. Then again, I'm not that touchy with such things, there are Indonesian films which show all the Dutch as badguys, I do not care as long as Indonesians don't actually hate me personally.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2011, 6:13pm

Post #25 of 29 (221 views)
Shortcut
Not showing ordinary civilians is kinda the problem [In reply to] Can't Post

the oh so hated enemy is just soldiers and leaders and schemers, not normal people you could or should relate to. I'm sorry if I'm being annoyingly touchy about this subject, but I'm fascinated by the concept of inhumanizing your enemy to justify violence against them. You can see everyone doing, in normal everyday life and in politics. It often involves that awful word "just"... I hate it when people say "You're just -----", "They're just----" etc. But yeah, I'm being oversensitive here. It's a subject dear to me. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.