Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Mount Taranaki not needed for The Hobbit

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 28 2011, 7:47pm

Post #1 of 25 (3402 views)
Shortcut
Mount Taranaki not needed for The Hobbit Can't Post

It looks like they're going digital for The Lonely Mountain - no real-life stand-in is sought, although other RL mountain landscapes are still be looked at.

From the Taranaki Daily News: Mountain not needed for movie

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 8:18pm

Post #2 of 25 (1911 views)
Shortcut
Wait a minute [In reply to] Can't Post

"We don't need a mountain," Ms Booth said. "Mt Doom (in the Lord Of The Rings) is a completely artist-created fictional painting,"

Is that true? I was almost certain they'd used a real mountain for Mt Doom.

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2011, 8:23pm

Post #3 of 25 (1857 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a real shame. Mt. Taranaki would've been great.

I wonder if the Lonely Mountain will be a bigature, or a fully CG creation.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 28 2011, 8:26pm

Post #4 of 25 (1866 views)
Shortcut
They need to inform their publicist as to the difference in mountains in different stories. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Mt Doom (in the Lord Of The Rings) is a completely artist-created fictional painting," she said.
"It's already established so it can't be changed."

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 28 2011, 8:43pm

Post #5 of 25 (1840 views)
Shortcut
If you read that literally [In reply to] Can't Post

It suggests that they are making the Lonely Mountain and Mt. Doom one and the same. I guess that is one way to tie the two storylines together.

Angelic

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 8:47pm

Post #6 of 25 (1816 views)
Shortcut
With full confidence in the artists' ability to render... [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't part of shooting on location part of the incentive for having the films in NZ and the tourist dollars that will be generated post the films release?

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 8:50pm

Post #7 of 25 (1829 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... the "what if any mountains" statement doesn't really add up... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would imagine they will use the Southern Alps like they did in the trilogy... and I agree with others here... Mt. Doom and the Lonely Mountain are obviously two completely different mountains altogether. Sounds like shoddy reporting and maybe a rep who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 8:55pm

Post #8 of 25 (1815 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps they'll be following Tolkien's illustrations? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Weta will create an accurate rendering of Tolkien's drawings of Erebor? Del Toro seems to have wanted to bring the original illustrations to life rather than finding rough New Zealand analogues for everything – he wanted to build artificial forest sets for Mirkwood because no forest resembled Tolkien's artwork. An artificial 'painterly sky' was also mentioned. Perhaps this sort of digital replacement is something we should expect to hear a lot more about during the production?

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 8:57pm

Post #9 of 25 (1844 views)
Shortcut
I hope it's the marriage of real life and vfx that Richard Armitage.... [In reply to] Can't Post

alluded to in the cast interview a few weeks back.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 28 2011, 9:21pm

Post #10 of 25 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Stirrer! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right: I didn't read the article closely enough and the PR person has confused the two mountains. So can we take anything she says gospel?

We'll find out in 18 months' time, I suppose.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 28 2011, 9:22pm

Post #11 of 25 (1849 views)
Shortcut
The bits of Frodo and Sam crawling up the mountain [In reply to] Can't Post

were filmed on location (I get confused about whether it was Ngaruhoe or Ruapehu), but the erupting mountain in the prelude and 'Mordor destroyed' scenes was entirely CGI.

Ataahua's stories

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2011, 10:09pm

Post #12 of 25 (1821 views)
Shortcut
Ruapehu [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't it up on the Whakapapa skifield, in summer?

I can't see there being any way that they'd turn Mount Doom into the Lonely Mountain. For starters, you have to get inside the Lonely Mountain. Can't get into the middle of a volcano - slight issue of lots of lava!

Boardwalk in mangroves

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 28 2011, 10:12pm

Post #13 of 25 (1786 views)
Shortcut
Ah of course, you're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the Whakapapa Skifield - I had forgotten that.

>> slight issue of lots of lava!

At least it'd keep Smaug warm. Angelic

Ataahua's stories

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 28 2011, 10:22pm

Post #14 of 25 (1785 views)
Shortcut
To be clear [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't seriously suggesting that they are trying to turn the Lonely Mountain into Mt. Doom. That would be absurd. But that is what Ms. Booth said.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2011, 10:40pm

Post #15 of 25 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I know [In reply to] Can't Post

I was referring to what she said too. I know TORNadoes are better acquainted with the mountains of Middle-earth than PR people are. Smile (*puts journalist hat on - one of those trilbys with "journalist" on a label in the hatband* This also demonstrates why one should never give a spokesperson a name - half the time they're just quoting what other people have told them without understanding it. She should have been 'a spokesperson for Three Foot Seven' instead. *takes journalist hat off*)

Boardwalk in mangroves

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 11:16pm

Post #16 of 25 (1766 views)
Shortcut
Real life locations still look better than any CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it's because they're not too perfect.. and because of the light...

sphdle1
Gondor

Mar 1 2011, 1:21am

Post #17 of 25 (1740 views)
Shortcut
How do you know for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

if you're inside the Matrix? Sly

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2011, 1:53pm

Post #18 of 25 (1686 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

the computers should know what mountains, landscapes and such really are like. No tasting needed. Are they telling us the truth? I'd say yes. Apparently, our minds still know the difference between realistic and unrealistic (hence we rejected the perfect utopia) and therefore they trie to make Matrix as realistic as they can.

sphdle1
Gondor

Mar 1 2011, 4:30pm

Post #19 of 25 (1671 views)
Shortcut
there in lies the essential flaw [In reply to] Can't Post

...the problem is choice...wherein the fundamental flaw is ultimately expressed, and the Anomaly revealed as both beginning and end...Thx to the Oracle. Hope being the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

The first Matrix was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art, flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is apparent now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being. Thus, it was redesigned on our history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of our nature. However, again frustrated by failure. The architect since came to understand that the answer eluded him because it required a lesser mind, or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection.

Is the real mountain actually there, or is it actually a spoon?

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

nobofthepony
Lorien

Mar 1 2011, 5:08pm

Post #20 of 25 (1659 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt it. They'll probably follow more of Howe and Lee's illustrations, which are more realistic. I think PJ understands that making it too impressionalistic and cartoony would take people out of the story. Tolkien's illustrations are beautiful in their own right, but I don't think they were meant to be a 1:1 correllation to what Middle Earth was supposed to look like. Tolkien was being impressionalistic and working as an illustrator. I doubt he would want ME depicted as an artificial environment with perfectly-lined trees and such. ME is a real place in Tolkien's mind, and it should be depicted as a real, believeable place. That's why I think GDT was way off on his ideas concerning this.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 1 2011, 6:46pm

Post #21 of 25 (1643 views)
Shortcut
My personal Take on this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

A great Ending to the Hobbit1 is that we
Finally see from the Dwarves and Bilbo View of the Lonely Mountian?
That would satisfy me.
Fully knowing the story to come.

moreorless
Rohan

Mar 1 2011, 8:44pm

Post #22 of 25 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Taranki could actually be used even if its not a location for shooting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember that the area around the Lonely Mountain is a devistated wasteland so Taranaki being surounded by fertile farmland and forrest on the upper slopes wouldnt really be suitable for shooting, it could however be composited ontop another location(I'm guessing either the volcanic areas of the central north island or the barren gliacal lake areas on the south island) as happened a few times in LOTR.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Mar 1 2011, 8:46pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2011, 9:51pm

Post #23 of 25 (1602 views)
Shortcut
And in the mids of all this [In reply to] Can't Post

what troubles me the most is that the machines bothered to look after us so well, even trying to give us our perfect paradise. From what I've learned, the backround for these events were that we the humans were total douchebags at them, until they rebelled - and yet they seem to care about us. You know, they could have found other sources of energy, like heath of the Earth deep under the surface. Makes me question, how human we are, and how human are they.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2011, 10:11pm

Post #24 of 25 (1632 views)
Shortcut
It's a bit more complicated than that [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, they could have found other sources of energy, like heath of the Earth deep under the surface.

In early versions of the script, the real reason the machines were keeping the humans alive was to use their collective brains as a sort of biological supercomputer – the power of the humans' minds was what was generating and sustaining the Matrix itself. Apparently the producers requested the removal of this aspect of the story, as they thought it would be too confusing for audiences. In the final film, it seems that the machines farm humans solely for their thermal energy, which doesn't really make physical sense.

One alternative explanation for the machines' interest in keeping humanity alive is that they may be bound by Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, which is a common plot device in fiction.

sphdle1
Gondor

Mar 2 2011, 12:59pm

Post #25 of 25 (1656 views)
Shortcut
there's irony at its best [In reply to] Can't Post

they thought it would be too confusing for the audiences, yet there aren't many people on the planet that fully understood the Architects speech in real time.

Here a theory that may make sense to explain the energy harvesting ... since we only use a fraction of our brain power, maybe while in the matrix the supercomputers found a way to maximize the energy in human brains, and that's what made us more viable as a source?

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.