Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Exclusive: Barrel-Riding Test Photos at Aratiatia Rapids
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 26 2011, 8:35pm

Post #26 of 53 (742 views)
Shortcut
Mmm, rose Elvish wine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sold. :D

When it comes to marketing the films, I really hope that a vineyard gets on board and offers limited edition Dorwinion wine. I'd crack open the wallet for a couple of cases!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

mwirkk
Rohan

Feb 26 2011, 8:45pm

Post #27 of 53 (744 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you are right, of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

just as Liv Tyler wasn't really riding a horse.

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

mwirkk
Rohan

Feb 26 2011, 9:09pm

Post #28 of 53 (779 views)
Shortcut
I hope you are right -- I don't much like the look... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't much like the look of this location. It doesn't match the descriptions of Mirkwood I remember in my mind's-eye while reading the Hobbit, or Tolkien's art of the barrel riding scene from the book.

Towards this eastern side of the forest is supposed to be marshy in areas just to the south of their location, and in the areas not far inland from here the forest is still quite tall and dense. The habitat pictured here reminds me of scrub forest you see in areas with low rainfall. But there are no terrain features through which the river runs which should cause this (a rain-shadow effect).

However, something like what is pictured here might be useful for close-up shots, with the surrounding forest filled in by CGI.

But I'm also thinking, if nothing else, this is primarily for testing out early concepts in the mechanics of shooting the scenes themselves.

The Black Knight Always Triumphs!!

-mwirkk :)

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Feb 26 2011, 9:28pm

Post #29 of 53 (728 views)
Shortcut
Brillliant [In reply to] Can't Post

The reports are starting to roll in and March is almost here. I love getting those little glimpses of the movie production. Smile

DrDeath153
Lorien

Feb 26 2011, 9:33pm

Post #30 of 53 (741 views)
Shortcut
The thought i had about the pink barrels [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that perhaps they're made out of pink Styrofoam to aid buoyancy. Seems like they're prototypes before they film fully painted versions- i see no reason why they would have to do the scene digitally necessarily since it's basically a bunch of barrels flowing down a river: the only complications would be if PJ wants to do something special with them (which is quite a possibility- hence the river rapids location), and even that could probably be managed practically.

The last shot of the location is the best, though i do agree with others about it being not quite how i'd imagined it, but i daresay it'll look quite different once it's gone through the cinematic process, and i daresay this will only be for a small part of the scene- much like the anduin journey it's likely to be a bit of a montage scene by and large with small interjections and elements of physical drama/comedy chucked in.

Dr Death

Anteor
Bree

Feb 26 2011, 9:57pm

Post #31 of 53 (726 views)
Shortcut
one concern [In reply to] Can't Post

did anyone notice the mention of "when they are running from orcs" in that article. Is that just an error and should say "Elves" or have they changed it so that they actually ARE you running from Orcs?

if more of us valued food and good cheer above gold and jewels. it would be a merrier world.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2011, 10:07pm

Post #32 of 53 (738 views)
Shortcut
The "insider" guy on Reddit... [In reply to] Can't Post

who seems to be legit claimed that the barrel-riding remains as it was in the book, but the lead-up to it is different. I THINK the reference to escaping Orcs in the OP was a mistake, but I wouldn't be surprised if our characters are captured by the Necromancer instead of Thranduil, in order to help tie the A and B plot together...

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

Hermoor
The Shire

Feb 26 2011, 10:22pm

Post #33 of 53 (707 views)
Shortcut
No way! [In reply to] Can't Post

THAT would suck...

Carne
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2011, 10:32pm

Post #34 of 53 (701 views)
Shortcut
I hope not. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Necromancer should not be the one to capture them.

I'm going to guess they will be chased by the elves, as opposed to the book where they had no idea the prisoners were escaping.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2011, 11:28pm

Post #35 of 53 (700 views)
Shortcut
Why, other than it's different from the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

which we know the films will be?

I think they're going to have trouble selling the Elves to the casual audience as "hostile isolationists" after the Vulcan-like ethereal Saints, (including Legolas), they were in the OT!

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Feb 26 2011, 11:35pm)

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Feb 26 2011, 11:54pm

Post #36 of 53 (674 views)
Shortcut
Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the certain distrust between Elves and Dwarves is well established in the LOTR as well as elvish tendency to closely guard their well hidden realms. If I remember correctly, the fellowship is not exactly welcomed to Lothlorien with open arms at first, although they have Aragorn and Legolas with them and only one dwarf.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 26 2011, 11:55pm

Post #37 of 53 (665 views)
Shortcut
I will take that bet [In reply to] Can't Post

Movie one Bilbo track ends with Bilbo on barrel. I have not one guess how they will lay out the Dol Guldur stuff.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 27 2011, 12:00am

Post #38 of 53 (693 views)
Shortcut
I will take a bet on the capture by Elves... [In reply to] Can't Post

Necromancer is a couple hundred miles away playing with Gandalf and Company.

Photobucket

KAOS82
Rohan

Feb 27 2011, 2:43am

Post #39 of 53 (667 views)
Shortcut
cool!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just smiling thinking at the dwarves inside
howvere they have to find a big river to shot cause these barrels are HUGE! Laugh

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NÍNIEL

Kiwi
The Shire

Feb 27 2011, 3:21am

Post #40 of 53 (637 views)
Shortcut
My Guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that they're shooting background plates, and the pink barrels – complete with tracking markers – will be digitally replaced in post. The wooden barrels on location could possibly be for lighting reference.

With no actors required on set, and the post-production schedule on these films likely being very tight and long, it makes sense that they'd be shooting something like this at this time.

Vellamo
Rivendell

Feb 27 2011, 1:19pm

Post #41 of 53 (606 views)
Shortcut
Ditto! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd crack open the wallet for a couple of cases!

Om nom... Me too. Tongue

Also, imagine what a great market niche ent-draught would have in the sports drink business!

bookgirl13
Lorien

Feb 27 2011, 2:04pm

Post #42 of 53 (582 views)
Shortcut
The Forest River [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some indications that initially the main water of the Forest River flowed faster than Tolkien's illustration showed, which was closer to the opening in the Lake. The book describes how the water flowed down in haste, sweeping away the casks and barrels, and eating out a wide bay on the north side. So the photographs here are not too far from that image.

Plus of course, PJ loves making things bigger - battles, mumakils, etc - so having a more dramatic scene with the barrels would not be too unexpected.

Vellamo
Rivendell

Feb 27 2011, 2:11pm

Post #43 of 53 (576 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I bet the dwarves would rather fight wolves and gobblins than listen to Eagles ;D // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Vellamo on Feb 27 2011, 2:15pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2011, 3:05pm

Post #44 of 53 (588 views)
Shortcut
One possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the Elvenking's halls will be attacked by goblins? Bilbo and the Dwarves will take advantage of the chaos to escape in the barrels. The goblins' attack allows for a climactic action sequence at the end of the first film, with Legolas getting a piece of the action. It may also be possible for the filmmakers to also work the attack into Thranduil's motivations for helping to fight against the goblins at the Battle of Five Armies?

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 27 2011, 3:15pm

Post #45 of 53 (556 views)
Shortcut
Flagg, I think your goblin-attack theory is spot on. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

bookgirl13
Lorien

Feb 27 2011, 3:17pm

Post #46 of 53 (544 views)
Shortcut
Attacked by orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

Your suggestion is an interesting way to combine orcs with the escape from the Elves. It would be a climatic end to the first film, and have the coda of seeing the Lonely Mountain as a lead into the second film.

But the inclusion of orcs in this sequence is based on the hesitant context given by the original blogger for the barrels sequence. He was not sure of his facts and therefore could just be mistaken.

I would rather the films followed the book fairly closely. The descent of the Elves on the Lonely Mountain was to gain a portion on Smaug's treasure. The arrival of the orcs meant that these warring factions had to band together to fight a common enemy. I am not sure that additional motivation to fight them was needed by the Elves.

Hermoor
The Shire

Feb 27 2011, 3:26pm

Post #47 of 53 (578 views)
Shortcut
No! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that is not true, they should follow the books. Elves can be selfish too, I would like to see elves acting bad...the contrast between the good and bad sides of the story need to be blurred for more interesting storytelling.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 27 2011, 3:57pm

Post #48 of 53 (557 views)
Shortcut
No...no Goblins here. [In reply to] Can't Post

The means of escape must be Bilbo-centric.

Photobucket

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2011, 4:09pm

Post #49 of 53 (588 views)
Shortcut
A goblin attack does not preclude Bilbo-centricism. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo could take advantage of the Elves' preoccupation with the goblins to free the Dwarves himself. The sequence could play out fairly similarly to how it occurs in the book. Bilbo would still be the one who uses his quick thinking and stealth to rescue his friends.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 27 2011, 4:26pm

Post #50 of 53 (548 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's motivations for helping to fight against the goblins at the Battle of Five Armies [In reply to] Can't Post

The Goblins attack at the Battle of Five Armies. That is Thranduil's motivation to fight. His motivation for being at The Lonely Mountain is a share of Smaug's stolen treasure. He comes assuming the Dwarves are dead.

Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.