Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another big earthquake just struck Christchurch
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 2:16am

Post #276 of 368 (871 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you are all ok!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh poor Rosie! I'm sure she was so scared, I'm glad you got her back!
Wow wow fortunate your husband is alright after something like that!
Stay safe, and I hope you get water soon!

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 2:19am

Post #277 of 368 (893 views)
Shortcut
That's how I feel [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not one drawn to tears really about anything, but I've teared up so many times today over this. It's so devastating.
All the little problems in life seem so trivial compared to this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

(This post was edited by aranelthehobbit22 on Feb 24 2011, 2:20am)

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 2:21am

Post #278 of 368 (892 views)
Shortcut
A chance to rejoice! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad the kitty's back!

What a kind neighbour you have! I'm sure it was greatly appreciated.

Photobucket

Photobucket

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 2:23am

Post #279 of 368 (860 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you're alright! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a terrible experience. Definitely not a good lunchbreak.
Stay safe!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 24 2011, 2:37am

Post #280 of 368 (862 views)
Shortcut
A roller coaster time [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thankful to have my cat back - pets give us all a lot of comfort. He's taken to lying beside me in bed - when I roll over he follows me!

The neighbours have been great. The two bottles of gifted water got me through the first few days and that meant that I didn't have to join the horrendous queues. I turned up this morning at the distribution centre to get more water and it only took half an hour so I have no complaints.

A lovely young man who worked for us last year and started work at CTV a few weeks ago has now been declared dead. I was in email contact with him the day before the quake. His fiance who also worked for us as a temp when she was a student is devastated.

I'm now in the process of looking for another building as our building will have to be demolished - along with many others in the suburb.

Oh dear - as I type this we've had an aftershock - quite a big one.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 24 2011, 2:42am

Post #281 of 368 (836 views)
Shortcut
*massive hug* Oh thank Goodness, you're okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry for what you've been through... for Christchurch. Thank Goodness you were in the park! Please stay safe. I don't think the shaking is over.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 24 2011, 2:47am

Post #282 of 368 (797 views)
Shortcut
*tears* I'm so sorry..... // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

milmol

Feb 24 2011, 2:48am

Post #283 of 368 (945 views)
Shortcut
whew [In reply to] Can't Post

so relieved to hear you're alright Pioneer!!! Smilebut i can't imagine how horrible it must be to go about in a world ransacked and broken. Pirate let me know if there's anything i could possibly do.... you're in my thoughts.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2011, 2:59am

Post #284 of 368 (828 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I tear up every time I read more stories or see more pictures

Any schoolwork related stresses seem so trivial now, especially since I essentially brought them on myself, but no one asked for an earthquake.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

milmol

Feb 24 2011, 3:04am

Post #285 of 368 (853 views)
Shortcut
:-( [In reply to] Can't Post

just the thought of having the town you live in and people you know being leveled makes me choke. Frown
for all of you in the area you're in my heartHeart

Don't wish for a better day, be glad and use the one you're in.

(This post was edited by milmol on Feb 24 2011, 3:08am)

LiJuun
The Shire

Feb 24 2011, 3:35am

Post #286 of 368 (878 views)
Shortcut
It's been a while, but I had to make sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank heavens everyone is alright! I've been getting updates from a couple of you (I wouldn't have been able to sleep!) for the past couple of days. I wanted to come to TORn straightaway to see if everyone was alright, but I've been dealing with a very sick cat.

I miss you all very much and I am ashamed that I came back only at a time of tragedy.

Those of you in the thick of it, I hope your friends and family (and pets!) are all safe. I hope your homes are relatively unscathed and that your workplaces suffered little enough damage that you can soon return to work. I know it's asking a lot in a situation like this, but I really want all of those things to be true. Well, and clean water and plenty of food.

I'll continue to pray for you all in the coming weeks and months. I know it'll be rough.

And I'll make an effort to come back to the boards for good news, too. :)

Return of the Punspace:
Coup de grace -- French for lawnmower
(You can thank Aerlinn for that.)

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 24 2011, 3:43am

Post #287 of 368 (895 views)
Shortcut
Hey you! Nice to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

No need to be ashamed. RL takes hold of us all at times. Luckily, TORn is the kind of place you can take a hiatus from, then come back and be welcomed with open arms.

Like now. Smile

hugs!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 24 2011, 3:59am

Post #288 of 368 (888 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry Nienna. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your loss is mine also. It is a hard thing.

I am glad your purry companion is back to share woes. I wonder what stories your kitty would tell if it could. Cuddle up. Better days will come:)

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 24 2011, 4:07am

Post #289 of 368 (896 views)
Shortcut
Hi LiJunn [In reply to] Can't Post

I am happy that we are still connected in spirit and are with us now:).

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 24 2011, 4:30am

Post #290 of 368 (788 views)
Shortcut
Eerie indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like they really ought to hand out glow sticks with the water! It can't be safe on a road like that.

(And after this is over, I think you should take up writing, if you haven't already . . .Evil)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 24 2011, 4:33am

Post #291 of 368 (845 views)
Shortcut
So very, very sorry for your loss, [In reply to] Can't Post

and for hers. Although we don't know her, please convey our sympathy; we are connected through you and your compassion.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 24 2011, 6:35am

Post #292 of 368 (841 views)
Shortcut
I am so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping against hope that he would be found alive.
I still can't believe this has happened.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 24 2011, 6:43am

Post #293 of 368 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Get out [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously. If you can, and you have somewhere to go, just go. Go to Dunedin and be safe.

I count myself as very fortunate that I have not seen what you saw on Monday.
My old house on Peterborough St will be dust now. I know I would have died if I had been in there.

As far as toilets go, some Portaloos have been set up near me. I am using my own toilet for 'number 1's', and I am following the advice for the other by using the garden. I don't quite know what you do if you don't have a garden!
The water has come back on but is sporadic, luckily I filled up some containers at Pioneer Stadium today.

Let me know by PM if there is anything I can do for you. Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 24 2011, 8:05am

Post #294 of 368 (743 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you weren't caught in it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 24 2011, 8:08am

Post #295 of 368 (838 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you here [In reply to] Can't Post

and you have nothing to be ashamed about. Returning out of concern and love for fellow TORnsibs is an admirable reason.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 24 2011, 8:17am

Post #296 of 368 (755 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm so sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have words, but I know that colleagues can become like family. How tragic to lose such a young man. :-(

BTW, my husband wanted me to ask what kind of place you work, that had so many books. Is it a library? A university? Don't worry about replying, just his usual curiousity.

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 24 2011, 9:51am

Post #297 of 368 (761 views)
Shortcut
Swedish au pairs [In reply to] Can't Post

Have the Swedish au pairs been located Macfalk or are they still missing?

I do hope they've been found alive.

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 24 2011, 10:22am

Post #298 of 368 (902 views)
Shortcut
Those books ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m the manager of the Book Discussion Scheme – we’re a national organisation with 920 book clubs (about 9200 members).

Our clubs register with us and give us their annual book lists. As an example, if a book club has 10 members (the average) then we would send then 10 copies of say, The Book Thief, along with 10 copies of the discussion notes (or reading group guides). We contract writers to write the discussion notes for each title in the scheme. (The Book Thief has been voted the best book by members.) The next month, prior to their meeting where they discuss the book, we will send them 10 copies of another book on their list. At the meeting the group leader would hand out the next lot of books, take in the copies of The Book Thief and return them to us.

In Christchurch our 170 clubs pick up and return the books, but around the rest of the country we courier the books out to the 750 clubs at our cost and they return them at their cost.

We want to double our club numbers within six years so we shifted to larger premises a year ago. Just as well as the old premises were condemned after the September earthquake – but this time our luck ran out.

We have about 650 titles in the scheme and add around 60 titles a year - we get free review copies of books from publishers and we get volunteer members of the scheme to review them for us and advise whether or not they should be added to the Catalogue. We have about 200 copies of the more popular titles.

alienorchid
Lorien

Feb 24 2011, 11:39am

Post #299 of 368 (890 views)
Shortcut
A little light.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the messages here. It's brought a little light into my day, knowing there are such caring people in the world.

I found out yesterday that a dude I was at art school with was among the fatalities. He was crushed by the falling facade of the tattoo parlour he worked at. His colleauge is in hospital with a broken neck and back. It's a sad time for everyone who knew him. I greatly admired his art and designwork, it inspired me at a really hard time in my studies.

It's so great to hear all the cantabrians here at TORn are okay! Such a relief :)

Bound
Rohan

Feb 24 2011, 12:12pm

Post #300 of 368 (745 views)
Shortcut
one Irish Guy... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is confirmed to be trapped alive in a collopsed building.. but no doubt there are hundreds in the same situation.

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.