Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another big earthquake just struck Christchurch
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2011, 5:27pm

Post #251 of 368 (828 views)
Shortcut
It's a big relief [In reply to] Can't Post

to see you're OK Pioneer. Thanks for checking in and letting us know.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 23 2011, 5:33pm

Post #252 of 368 (820 views)
Shortcut
Oh... that's good. [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't have to worry about Sammy (those Sam's always find their way home :) and thank Goodness for the kindness of your neighbour.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2011, 5:40pm

Post #253 of 368 (840 views)
Shortcut
Glad you are okay [In reply to] Can't Post

That must have been a terrifying walk home.
I hope your home isn't damaged and your friends and co-workers are all right.

Thanks for giving us your update.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 5:54pm

Post #254 of 368 (966 views)
Shortcut
Have they brought in water yet in your area? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 23 2011, 5:59pm

Post #255 of 368 (885 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you're safe! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine seeing the devastation you've seen :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 23 2011, 6:01pm

Post #256 of 368 (913 views)
Shortcut
I'm caught in her fear... [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt as if I was there with her... even now. What a brave, honest woman. Her story is for many. *tears* Surrounded by so many fears.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 6:48pm

Post #257 of 368 (878 views)
Shortcut
Well said, sil [In reply to] Can't Post

You always find something heartening to say. Thank you.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2011, 8:14pm

Post #258 of 368 (904 views)
Shortcut
Phew! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was getting worried that you hadn't checked in. Glad you're okay. How's your house?

I stayed in the Grand Chancellor for a conference in Chch. It's a bit weird that it's now condemned (I read it'll be demolished if it doesn't collapse of its own accord). Sort of brings it home even more, in a weird way.

Boardwalk in mangroves

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 8:32pm

Post #259 of 368 (889 views)
Shortcut
How's the Art Gallery? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in ChCh just last week (visiting from Hawaii) and admiring it so much. Loved Cathedral Sq, the Cathedral, the lovely flower festival taking place right in front of it, and especially admiring the spectacular all-glass Art Gallery. We were so saddened to see all the new parking lots (where bldgs had been torn out after Sept. 4) and all the damaged bldgs still in limbo. We particularly admired the spirit of a city that would place art in one of the new parking lots (a set of photos comparing sites in Berlin before the fall of the Wall and now). This is all heartbreaking.

Join us in the Reading Room for chapter discussions of LotR The Two Towers, Book III!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Feb 23 2011, 8:33pm)

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Feb 23 2011, 9:11pm

Post #260 of 368 (775 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you're alright! [In reply to] Can't Post

I pray that your kitty comes back safely!

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2011, 9:19pm

Post #261 of 368 (887 views)
Shortcut
Last night there were live TV crosses [In reply to] Can't Post

from in front of the art gallery and I couldn't see any damage, and inside were a lot of the emergency administration people. I hope that means that the building is untouched.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

lurtz2010
Rohan

Feb 23 2011, 9:50pm

Post #262 of 368 (912 views)
Shortcut
Mark Hadlow is in Christchurch helping out [In reply to] Can't Post

He was saying PJ, weta etc are sending down supplies

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 23 2011, 10:00pm

Post #263 of 368 (835 views)
Shortcut
Art Gallery fine [In reply to] Can't Post

The Art Gallery is undamaged and is being used as the Civil Defence headquarters.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 10:24pm

Post #264 of 368 (860 views)
Shortcut
Gold stars to the architect. [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing amount of glass to have survived both earthquakes! Truly a gorgeous building.

Join us in the Reading Room for chapter discussions of LotR The Two Towers, Book III!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 10:32pm

Post #265 of 368 (866 views)
Shortcut
How on earth did that survive? (Thank goodness!) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 10:41pm

Post #266 of 368 (948 views)
Shortcut
Hooray [In reply to] Can't Post

I considered reporting you as a missing person, but then wondered what I would say, since I only know your identity as 'Pioneer' and that you live here - not much to go on. Crazy

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 11:08pm

Post #267 of 368 (868 views)
Shortcut
Will you still have a workplace? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you going to go up North for a bit?
I hope you are safe and have company, and have enough food and water.

Pioneer
Rivendell

Feb 23 2011, 11:50pm

Post #268 of 368 (978 views)
Shortcut
"The Road" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Are you going to go up North for a bit?
I hope you are safe and have company, and have enough food and water.

Starling, I know this sounds weird, but where are you going to the toilet? I'm thinking of moving to Dunedin.

I went to get some water from the Army around 4am. As I walked along the middle of the roads it was pitch black as the moon was covered by clouds & there was no house or street lights - I could barely see the cracks in the road right in front of me. There was no-one else on the streets - no-one else walking around - no-one driving around. It was extremely eerie & reminded me of Viggo Mortensen's "The Road" movie.

Then, in the distance, I saw some little glow sticks that the army soldiers are carrying - & their tanks also had glow sticks attached to them. After getting some water, there was a significant aftershock & heard the sound of yet another building in the centre of town collapse, as I stood there in complete darkness by myself.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2011, 12:00am

Post #269 of 368 (813 views)
Shortcut
Your descriptions just sound other-worldly, Pioneer. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only imagine how surreal it all is for you. I think if you can get out of the city, do so - look after yourself and get some sleep away from the aftershocks.

Having said that, I've got my name down with Civil Defence as rotation personnel, if needed. I would be quite relieved to not be called up, but I'll go if asked.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 24 2011, 12:42am

Post #270 of 368 (876 views)
Shortcut
yes... I saw that Google people finder service [In reply to] Can't Post

but had to think a few minutes before convincing myself that no one was registering under their TORn name.

It is such a relief to know, isn't it? I mean... about our online friends and fellows? It is so hard when people all of a sudden aren't there for whatever unknown reason. To have it connected to such a disastrous event as this would be even harder.

I read these reports by you guys... and think about it. But I can't wrap my brain around it. I really can't. It is beyond my imagination what this must be like for the people of Christchurch.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 24 2011, 12:45am

Post #271 of 368 (990 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

...if a lot of ChCh folks decide to move elsewhere. It's a lovely, lovely city, and we were thinking how much we'd like to live there, but given the intensity and frequency of the aftershocks you've experienced since Sept, it's a wonder everyone isn't a nervous wreck. And now this happens!

I lived almost 40 years in CA (north and south), and only suffered 2 quakes of that intensity, with relatively few, minor aftershocks. I can only imagine what you're going through.

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 1:45am

Post #272 of 368 (816 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you're ok!! [In reply to] Can't Post

With so much damage, it's good to hear from TORnsibs in Chch to know that you're alright!

Stay safe.
I also pray that the fatalities don't increase!

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 1:51am

Post #273 of 368 (746 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you're alright!
I hope your dog recovers soon, I'm sure that was really hard on all the animal's nerves, just like it was on the people.
Stay safe!

Photobucket

Photobucket

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 1:55am

Post #274 of 368 (779 views)
Shortcut
Be careful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you get a bit of sleep, sounds like it's still pretty bad there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2011, 2:07am

Post #275 of 368 (798 views)
Shortcut
That is surreal... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like an uncomfortable dream...but it's no dream...Unsure

Stay safe, Pioneer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.