Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another big earthquake just struck Christchurch
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 10:34pm

Post #201 of 368 (974 views)
Shortcut
Search and rescue dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

go through the most thorough training imaginable. My brother and his wife have SAR German Shepherds and they travel all over the US getting various kinds of training. Their confidence comes from their faith in their handlers.

I am so glad to hear of all the Tornsibs who've been so thoughtful as to check in with us on such a horrible occasion. THANK YOU! I agree, we are quite a community.
I dearly hope those aftershocks stop once and for all. HUGS!

(((((((((((((((((((((Sunflower)))))))))))))))))))))) HUGS to you too, my dear.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveParticipant/727338.png

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 10:36pm

Post #202 of 368 (1071 views)
Shortcut
This is very good [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone but Pioneer is known safe.

Your husband and co-workers must have had to deal with a collapse of some sort there. Were the co-workers originally there from the beginning or were they ones that made the hole and entered in from the outside?

Blessings are found here indeed.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 10:37pm

Post #203 of 368 (940 views)
Shortcut
You can donate online [In reply to] Can't Post

The Salvation Army has relaunched its Canterbury Earthquake Appeal - I donated earlier today and it was really easy. You just need a credit card. I think Red Cross NZ may be doing an appeal too but their website's not loading for me right now.

Boardwalk in mangroves

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 22 2011, 11:19pm

Post #204 of 368 (936 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Everyone but Pioneer is known safe.

Your husband and co-workers must have had to deal with a collapse of some sort there. Were the co-workers originally there from the beginning or were they ones that made the hole and entered in from the outside?

Blessings are found here indeed.

His co workers were in the building but a different area. They were all on the ground floor and part of the floor above them fell in causing openings in the outter wall. A large bookcase had fallen over the entranceway blocking that route out. They were lucky they could get out. Hubby said outside was like a vision from hell.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 11:34pm

Post #205 of 368 (951 views)
Shortcut
So glad to see you *hugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

And really glad your husband wasn't badly hurt.

*wraps Nimloth in another hug*

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

~TORnado Babies 2009~ ~TORnado Babies 2010~
~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~ ~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~

Zmulady
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 11:47pm

Post #206 of 368 (948 views)
Shortcut
OMG! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gald you're ok. Thoughts and prayers for you all.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 11:53pm

Post #207 of 368 (938 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for checking in. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, my how terrifying! And how lucky that the file cabinet didn't seriously hurt your husband. I'm so relieved that you and yours are OK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 11:54pm

Post #208 of 368 (925 views)
Shortcut
So pleased you're okay [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just been into work and can now see that the building will have to be demolished. There's liquefaction and all the books on the ground are drenched. We will have to urgently look for another building ... but where??Unsure

A student that worked for us last year started work a couple of weeks ago at CTV. Things don't look good - he hasn't been found yet. Family are devastated.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2011, 12:05am

Post #209 of 368 (992 views)
Shortcut
In one of the collapsed buildings [In reply to] Can't Post

a camera has been lowered and rescuers can see 15 people alive. I don't know which building though. Try to have hope, Nienna.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 12:10am

Post #210 of 368 (950 views)
Shortcut
Is your water usable? And [In reply to] Can't Post

is Kitty back yet? Hope your house is still safe.Evil

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 12:12am

Post #211 of 368 (964 views)
Shortcut
So sorry that happened [In reply to] Can't Post

to your husband! A filing cabinet sounds very big and heavy and scary! Hope he didn't break any ribs.Unsure Do you folks have water available?

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 23 2011, 12:13am

Post #212 of 368 (946 views)
Shortcut
I think that was a false report [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't given up hope but things look grim.

(This post was edited by Nienna on Feb 23 2011, 12:18am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2011, 12:15am

Post #213 of 368 (931 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just seen the correction on Stuff. Damn it.

I'm so very sorry Nienna.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 23 2011, 12:16am

Post #214 of 368 (971 views)
Shortcut
Sammy's home [In reply to] Can't Post

A very wet cat came home at midnight. I left him alone at home this morning when I drove to work to assess the damage - he's been very clingy since I got back.

We have no running water but a kind neighbour who was at home when the earthquake struck ran the water into the bath and then gave out bottles of water to neighbours when they arrived home. By the time we got home there was no running water so it was gratefully accepted. It's great to have a cup of tea occasionally.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2011, 12:28am

Post #215 of 368 (963 views)
Shortcut
Hurrah for Sammy! That's good to hear. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 23 2011, 12:30am

Post #216 of 368 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Prayers to all affected by the quake. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been sick the last couple days, so I didn't know about any of this. Thanks to our TORnadoes for checking in. It seems like that would be the least of your worries, but your friends here really appreciate knowing you are all okay. I hope things settle down soon. Please be careful!

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 23 2011, 12:38am

Post #217 of 368 (883 views)
Shortcut
Thanks *hugs back* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 23 2011, 12:50am

Post #218 of 368 (954 views)
Shortcut
Not running water [In reply to] Can't Post

But there are water tankers available in some suburbs where you can take your containers to fill up.

LittleTook
The Shire

Feb 23 2011, 2:13am

Post #219 of 368 (946 views)
Shortcut
It is so distressing [In reply to] Can't Post

when things like this happen and the most you can do for anyone is worry about them and hope that everyone is alright. It is good to hear that some of our NZ TORnsibs are well and mostly unscathed, but it's still sad and worrisome knowing there are some people who are hurt and suffering (either physically or materially) and some who were victims of the sometimes cruel forces of nature. I hope that all turns out well and no more casualties are reported.

*Sending love and healing thoughts to everyone affected*

"Hope without guarantees." -Professor Tolkien

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody is in that position." -Dr. Patrick Curry

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 23 2011, 2:18am

Post #220 of 368 (916 views)
Shortcut
*tearing* This is all so heartbreaking. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank God you're okay. Fate had you home... I'm so glad. But what your husband went through is horrific. The goodness and bravery of his co-workers... of so many co-workers and passers-by who stopped to help while in danger of more debris from aftershocks and unstable buildings has saved so many.

I'm so sorry for this. *lingering hug* I'm so glad you and all our friends are okay. My prayers are with you all for the aftershocks to stop and the healing to begin.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

stormcrow20
Gondor

Feb 23 2011, 3:45am

Post #221 of 368 (879 views)
Shortcut
Best wishes to all in NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

Stay strong, stay safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Smile

A greenlight from the shadows shall spring!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2011, 3:48am

Post #222 of 368 (905 views)
Shortcut
You're all okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is very scary, what happened with your husband, I am so, so glad he was uninjured!

And that you were able to find your pup...and you're all safely home now...

{{hugs to all!}}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2011, 3:54am

Post #223 of 368 (935 views)
Shortcut
Here's an article [In reply to] Can't Post

The day the earth roared

Long, but worth a read, it's very touching

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 23 2011, 4:22am

Post #224 of 368 (918 views)
Shortcut
Oh, so glad! Welcome home, Sammy! [In reply to] Can't Post

And what a resourceful and truly wonderful neighbor you have! Makes me think of Pioneer days out west here (but they didn't have earthquakes!).

peleowyn
Rivendell

Feb 23 2011, 4:34am

Post #225 of 368 (895 views)
Shortcut
Our thoughts and prayers... [In reply to] Can't Post

are certainly with you, and all those who have been affected by this terrible quake ... And we're happy that you (and your kitty!) are now safe!

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

(This post was edited by pelanor on Feb 23 2011, 4:35am)

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.