Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another big earthquake just struck Christchurch
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 6:45pm

Post #176 of 368 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Finding water and getting organised [In reply to] Can't Post

I did the bulk of my cleaning up last night, so the broken glass and crockery are safely removed, but now I need to organise my toilet facilities, and get some water (when they are able to get some into my area). I have enough for today but then I will run out - didn't quite think to factor a thristy little dog into my emergency water requirements.
Other than that I will be on the phone and the computer, keeping in touch with people, and getting under the table every 20 minutes or so. Crazy

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 6:46pm

Post #177 of 368 (1115 views)
Shortcut
sending thoughts and prayers [In reply to] Can't Post

to all the tornsibs in Christchurch, it must be a terrifying experience!
I hope all of you and your friends and family stay safe during this awful time.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 6:59pm

Post #178 of 368 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Water distribution centres [In reply to] Can't Post

have been set up at schools in Lyttleton, Redcliffs, South New Brighton, Shirley, Wainoni and Phillipstown, with more likely to be added. You'll need to take your own container.

Can you get to one of those?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2011, 7:05pm

Post #179 of 368 (1419 views)
Shortcut
News media can be a little sensationalistic at times like these. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm seeing how concerned people are about the images they're seeing on the news and how frightening they are. As someone who has been through a major earthquake (SF, 1989 Loma Prieta), I can tell you that the news media will definitely show you the worst of the worst. That means that while there are many injured, and buildings that have been damaged, there will be a lot more people/places that will actually be pretty okay.

I'm a person who finds that information helps me to feel better. It makes me feel like I have a better grasp of the situation and in some way, a little more control. So I'm just going to share some info for those who aren't familiar with the impact of earthquakes who might want to know a little about earthquakes.

After an earthquake, the biggest issue is running water and electricity. These are big because of treating injuries or sustaining people who already rely on electricity to maintain their health. It's a lot more likely problems will arise in the next few days because of that.

There usually are aftershocks. This is normal. Aftershocks are usually (but not always) smaller earthquakes that aren't as harmful. Earthquakes are measured on an exponential scale, and I've been known to sleep through earthquakes as low as 3.5, which shows how mild an earthquake like that is, since I'm a light sleeper. From what I've read, this earthquake is being reported as an aftershock of the September earthquake. So, hopefully, the aftershocks will stay smaller, which is more commonly what happens.

I just want to reassure people that, yes, it all looks really scary, but my guess is that New Zealand may have some of the same strict building codes regarding earthquake retrofitting that we do in San Francisco, because both places are well known for seismic activity. They did have to rebuild Napier (also on the South Island) after a major earthquake similar to the San Francisco 1906 earthquake, so I'm sure New Zealanders, as well as we do here, know how to build for the eventuality of earthquakes. This is likely going to be a major preventative to harm as compared to some less developed countries where there aren't as many rules and thus a greater likelihood of injury and death.

Just remember that the news reports the scariest stuff, and considering that several people from the Christchurch area were able to get online and tell us they're okay is a great sign. That means they have fairly steady electricity in at least some parts of the city, which means more people are likely getting immediate health care for injury right now. That's a really good sign that the majority of people will be okay.

Again, my best to everyone there. I hope that recovery happens quickly and that everyone gets the assistance they need to rebuild and stay safe and healthy.

Slayer_Of_Orcs
The Shire

Feb 22 2011, 7:11pm

Post #180 of 368 (994 views)
Shortcut
Canada is ready too if called upon [In reply to] Can't Post

Our PM stated that we are ready and willing.

We are waiting ...

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 7:16pm

Post #181 of 368 (1047 views)
Shortcut
They are all a long way from me [In reply to] Can't Post

And a lot of the roads are out. I can wait for a while and see if they set up anything nearer to me. The ones you mentioned are all in the worst hit suburbs.
I have a nice neighbour next door and we are helping each other, so we will figure something out.

Anorien
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 7:38pm

Post #182 of 368 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear that tornsibs are ok! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've experienced earthquakes in Seattle before so I know how scary it can be. Hope things start settling down and our tornsibs can get some rest. Last I heard, search and rescue teams were being sent from the U.S. Hugs for all of the people of Christchurch and Kiwis everywere. Stay safe!!

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

rings7
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 7:50pm

Post #183 of 368 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Apparently [In reply to] Can't Post

everything is allright with the cast, i'm not familiar with the geography of the epicenter of the quake but as Robert Kasinsky tweeted, there are cast and crew members who have family in Chrischurch. My prayers go to all those affected by this. I surivived a 7.2 quake here in south California, so i know the feeling. It must've been a nightmare. Hoping for the best.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 8:31pm

Post #184 of 368 (977 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry, Sunflower [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to hold those ships back, too -- I've lost several friends recently. I hope your March goes better.

Bless you, too, Sunflower, for thinking of others at this difficult time.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 8:49pm

Post #185 of 368 (1062 views)
Shortcut
You've got that right, Aunt D [In reply to] Can't Post

Not all on-line groups are communities, but this one certainly is. It goes to show you the importance of friendship when events go wrong. (Hm, there's this wonderful story where the characters talk about helping their friends.... Wink )

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 8:54pm

Post #186 of 368 (1048 views)
Shortcut
i heard this on breaking news bbcnews24.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and wanted to log to check - and post here.

this is horrible...i mean, 2 earthquakes in such a short time....

PirateFrownFrownFrown

hope all are ok....

-e- from the UK...

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

and through it all we remain strong and true
for eternity is bonds unbroken
beyond the sea...

into the realm of TORN!

wheres breakfast?
- which one??!

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 8:55pm

Post #187 of 368 (917 views)
Shortcut
/as is the UK/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

and through it all we remain strong and true
for eternity is bonds unbroken
beyond the sea...

into the realm of TORN!

wheres breakfast?
- which one??!

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 22 2011, 8:59pm

Post #188 of 368 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Nimloth checking in finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

We are ok here but badly shaken. We have just got the power back on this morning but it seems water will be a lot longer. The damage to our house isn't structural (that I can see), but we lost a lot more of household items than in the Sept 4th earthquake. I left work early yesterday and was home when the quake hit. I was trying to get outside but couldn't stand up properly though my cocker spaniel Rosie got out the door and ran away. She was terrified, as I was! It took us 8 hours of searching the streets to find her. She was so distressed, and now won't leave my side. My hubby was working in town and when the quake hit a large filing cabinet fell on him trapping him underneath. A couple of co-workers got him out and they then had to crawl through a hole to get outside. He's lucky he was relatively unhurt, though very shocked of course. Our extended family are all ok and our house is liveable so we are fortunate. My heart goes out to all the families who have lost loved ones, it is just so devastating. We don't know what the future will bring and really just have to wait and see what happens in the next few days. It's lovely to know there are so many people out there who are so concerned for us, thankyou. Evil

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2011, 9:06pm

Post #189 of 368 (895 views)
Shortcut
So glad to hear from you **hugs** [In reply to] Can't Post

How are the aftershocks today?

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 9:13pm

Post #190 of 368 (925 views)
Shortcut
So relieved to see you, Nimloth! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your poor husband - thank goodness it wasn't even worse.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 9:13pm

Post #191 of 368 (889 views)
Shortcut
how frightening! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your husband was only bruised & nothing broken and you all get over your fright (including your poor dog) soon.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 9:27pm

Post #192 of 368 (893 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for checking in! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank goodness you and your husband are OK. You have all of our best wishes for the days and weeks ahead, Nimloth.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 9:32pm

Post #193 of 368 (916 views)
Shortcut
Phew! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was getting worried. I'm so glad to hear you are all present and accounted for, including dog.
You must have been so worried about your husband, it wounds like he went through a horrible ordeal. Two of my close friends work in the central city, both in tall buildings close to the areas of the CTV and PGG buildings. It was awful not being able to get in touch with them, but I have heard that they are both okay.
Poor Rosie. Midgey is exhausted and keeps falling into a deep sleep, only to be woken by yet another aftershock, and then the whole cycle starts again. Crazy

sador
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 9:36pm

Post #194 of 368 (942 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry about your husband - but glad that he is nearly unhurt. Phew! That sounds terrifying!

And take a good look at your house once things calm down - you can never know what hidden damage has occured.

But it's good to know you are one of the lucky ones. And it's terrible to think of those who were less fortunate.

Thank you for checking in!

"Let me think!" - Aragorn.

The weekly discussion of The Lord of the Rings is back! Please join us in the Reading Room for Book III.

"In this chapter, Tolkien's writing is infused with metaphors and similies drawing on the weather (when speaking of the Rohirrim) and the sea (when speaking of the Uruk-hai)."
- Ataahua.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 10:00pm

Post #195 of 368 (886 views)
Shortcut
So good to know you're okay [In reply to] Can't Post

Including the dog! Thanks for checking in, Nimloth.

Boardwalk in mangroves

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 10:16pm

Post #196 of 368 (930 views)
Shortcut
How horrible! Glad you are ok! [In reply to] Can't Post

Having just had such a lovely visit to Christchurch (and you!) we're devastated that this has happened, but glad you're ok.

Join us in the Reading Room for chapter discussions of LotR The Two Towers, Book III!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 10:22pm

Post #197 of 368 (988 views)
Shortcut
Bystanders [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband and I were sitting in Auckland airport awaiting our flight to Sydney and thence home to Hawaii when they announced that the airport was closed due to the quake (ChCh airport was closed, planes being routed to Auckland, and the air traffic control system was temporarily down). Everyone in the lounge immediately grabbed their phones, and we started getting fragmentary reports.

We had just spent several lovely days in Christchurch, including a nice visit with Roheryn and family, so it was all fresh in our minds. We had been so sad to see how much devastation remained after the Sept. 4 quake, and had fresh mental images of the lovely town square, Cathedral, parks, etc. Now we were hearing of deaths, the Cathedral down, and so much more. It is all terribly sad. Our prayers are will everyone in this stricken community.

Join us in the Reading Room for chapter discussions of LotR The Two Towers, Book III!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Annael
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 10:23pm

Post #198 of 368 (874 views)
Shortcut
it's amazing how personally involved I feel [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been to NZ, but somehow it is "ours" now because of the movies, and I've loved all the photos and reports of people who live or have visited there, and intend to visit myself someday. It's not just concern for the people I've met on the boards. I feel as sad about the cathedral as I would if it were my own church. I'll be watching for a chance to donate to the restoration.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 10:27pm

Post #199 of 368 (983 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Just...thank you. Frown

Garfeimao
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 10:32pm

Post #200 of 368 (918 views)
Shortcut
which is why you check the governmental press releases [In reply to] Can't Post

Gas is also very important to check, because it has a habit of leaking and then blowing up. It's also nice that if you have a gas stove, you an still cook without electricity.

And Napier is on the North Island, very lovely little town.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.