Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another big earthquake just struck Christchurch
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 1:10pm

Post #126 of 368 (1012 views)
Shortcut
What a relief [In reply to] Can't Post

that you're all safe! Give the boys big hugs from all of us! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 1:11pm

Post #127 of 368 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for checking in! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so very glad to hear that all of you are OK. Being with all those scared horses doesn't sound very safe. Whew! And how scary it must have been for NZS to be up on the fifth floor! I'm so relieved to hear he made it out safely.

What a terrible year this has been for you, with all the aftershocks. It sounds so unrelenting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Slayer_Of_Orcs
The Shire

Feb 22 2011, 1:16pm

Post #128 of 368 (1042 views)
Shortcut
I went to the NZHerald site via your link ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Very dramatic images and videos. So sad to hear of the death toll ... even one death is too many. I hope that there will be some help from other countries offered and accepted ... if required. The International community can be tight-knit under these circumstances.

We are waiting ...

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 1:26pm

Post #129 of 368 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Heartsick [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad to see everyone checking in safe and (mostly) sound. I'm heartbroken at the damage to the cathedral. I was there just last September after the last quake, and while there was some damage, it seemed to be holding up.

The damage looks to be devastating. Christchurch is such a beautiful city and it's so sad to see parts lying in ruins.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 22 2011, 1:28pm

Post #130 of 368 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Terrible news [In reply to] Can't Post

The pictures of the stricken cathedral really bring home the devastation. My heart goes out to everyone in that beautiful city. We visited about six months ago and fell in love with the place, so it's heartbreaking to see it like this. And so much loss of life. At least it's comforting to see that all our TORnsibs have come through safely. Wishing you lots of luck and courage for the next little while.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 1:33pm

Post #131 of 368 (1057 views)
Shortcut
So glad to see you [In reply to] Can't Post

Give those boys of yours a hug from me -all of them! How terrible that the cathedral is so badly damaged.

Thanks for thinking of us and checking in. We were worriedHeart

jflower
The Shire

Feb 22 2011, 1:40pm

Post #132 of 368 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Great to hear you are all okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I heard the news this morning the first thing I thought was if you and your family were okay. Take care and stay safe! Good to hear that your home is also intact.

jflower
The Shire

Feb 22 2011, 1:47pm

Post #133 of 368 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear that all the tornsibbs in the area are okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been around much but I think about the people here at torn all the time. When I heard this news this morning my thoughts immediately went to wondering if everyone from torn in the area was okay. Take care and be safe.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 2:15pm

Post #134 of 368 (1101 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know there was such a game [In reply to] Can't Post

Now you have got me curious.
I nearly dozed off before, but then there was another big thump and now I am wide awake again.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 22 2011, 2:32pm

Post #135 of 368 (1118 views)
Shortcut
I can't imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

in this stable (barring the odd insignificant twitch) country, in my solid little house with all my things around me, what it feels like to have your home and your life shaken and buckled by that kind of force. Must be terrifying. So sad that people have lost their lives, and so many are injured. Thinking of all those affected, and wishing them luck - and strength - to deal with what lies ahead.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 2:36pm

Post #136 of 368 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link: [In reply to] Can't Post

Cathedral

The one I have is plastic, so the pieces are more detailed than the traditional wooden ones: link

When my kids were little we didn't play the actual game, just used it like a jigsaw puzzle, trying to get all the pieces to fit together. It's beautiful when it's completed. I suppose that's a metaphor for the hard work your city has ahead of it :-(

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Feb 22 2011, 2:40pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 2:44pm

Post #137 of 368 (1011 views)
Shortcut
I just turned on my computer for the morning [In reply to] Can't Post

and saw the news. I came straight here to see if our Kiwi TORnsibs are all right.

Please, y'all take care of yourselves, and each other, and know that those of us Up Over are sending thoughts and prayers your way!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 22 2011, 2:45pm

Post #138 of 368 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness you are all ok! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad all our ChCh sibs are checking in. Glad your house is largely unaffected Ro. I hope you were able to soothe the poor horses - such frightening events must be even more bewildering and terrifying for animals.

{{hugs}} to you all. Thanks for checking in! Heart

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2011, 2:47pm

Post #139 of 368 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Love and good thoughts to everyone in Christchurch and throughout New Zealand. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't even begin to imagine what the people of Christchurch are going through - i'm sure many people are still trying to recover from the previous earthquake. I'm glad to hear that our TORn-sibs and their families are okay, but saddened to hear that so many others were lost. My love to you all.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 3:13pm

Post #140 of 368 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Now that's funny [In reply to] Can't Post

A relative of mine had this game and I have played it (badly) a few times. I always liked looking at it and mucking around with it even though I was hopeless at it.
I had no idea it was a New Zealand invention.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2011, 3:19pm

Post #141 of 368 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Glad you're all right; appalled at the level of damage. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't watch the news coverage without thinking back to our day in the city. How is Eldarion taking the aftershocks?

Fight for us! And regain your honor, learn valuable technical skills, and qualify for up to four years' college tuition under the GI Bill! What say you?

Annael
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 3:40pm

Post #142 of 368 (967 views)
Shortcut
*sigh of relief* [In reply to] Can't Post

glad to hear you and NZS and Eldarion & his brother made it through okay. What a frightening thing.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 4:17pm

Post #143 of 368 (954 views)
Shortcut
Oh, so glad! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so worried about your school kids too! And your new house! I can't remember--are you right in the city, or in the suburbs?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 4:21pm

Post #144 of 368 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad hubby and kiddies are O.K. This would be so difficult for children to comprehend, and to find a way to feel safe again.FrownUnsure

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 4:22pm

Post #145 of 368 (1015 views)
Shortcut
This is just not right. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always get the time different mixed up. Is it night there now? We'll just hang in there with you until you can sleep again.EvilEvil

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2011, 4:29pm

Post #146 of 368 (982 views)
Shortcut
ditto thank God so many are safe // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 4:41pm

Post #147 of 368 (968 views)
Shortcut
It's morning now [In reply to] Can't Post

I have given up on sleep and made coffee. I had some water left in the kettle from this morning so I used that.

shadowdog
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 4:43pm

Post #148 of 368 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Furballs can be funny that way. [In reply to] Can't Post

I lived in Los Angeles for 30 years and lived through numerous earthquakes. The first time my fox terrier felt one, she ran outside barking at it. When it stopped, she came prancing back in all proud of herself. From then on, she would bark frantically at every quake to chase it away. So glad you and the others who have checked in are all holding up. I know what you are going through with the aftershocks. You never know if it is going to be a bigger one; and finally you are just wishing they would stop. <<<<HUGS>>>>> to all.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2011, 4:54pm

Post #149 of 368 (953 views)
Shortcut
radio [In reply to] Can't Post

I use my radio as an alarm, so the very first thing I heard this morning was that there was about the earthquake and that 65 were confirmed dead. I was glad I had heard about it yesterday (except the death count) as otherwise I would have been really startled this morning.

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 4:54pm

Post #150 of 368 (1083 views)
Shortcut
I am close to the central city [In reply to] Can't Post

My new house was slightly damaged in the 7.1, damaged a bit more in the Boxing Day quake, but seems to have come through the 6.3 fairly well.

It was awful for the parents of the children I teach, because their kids are in a special needs unit and come from all over the city. One boy left school at 4.00 and got home at 6.30. The traffic was a nightmare, and lots of roads impassable.
One of our mothers was so worried and couldn't get to us by vehicle from her suburb, so she walked all the way (miles) through the liquefaction to get to her little boy, then pushed him home in the wheelchair.
The worst part was sitting outside for hours in the cold, everyone shivering from the cold and from shock. We managed to briefly go back into our building to get blankets to wrap around everyone. Then we huddled together like turtles for a couple of hours of regular aftershocks.

I am looking forward to daylight.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.