Another big earthquake just struck Christchurch
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 11:30am

Post #101 of 368 (1126 views)
Shortcut
Thank Goodness!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you made it home safely. It doesn't sound like it's over. This is awful!!! Thank God you're safe *warm hug*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 11:31am

Post #102 of 368 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Oh Kimi... [In reply to] Can't Post

this one is so much worse than the last. The aftershocks are doing so much more damage because of the weakened structures.

Stay safe, dear Lady... Thank God you're okay!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 11:32am

Post #103 of 368 (1311 views)
Shortcut
oh no.... /// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 11:35am

Post #104 of 368 (998 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Than Goodness you're okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm glad you made it home safely. This is just horrific! I've been watching the filming taken right afterwards. So many people trapped in those flattened buildings and cars. *tears*

sample sample

Unused Scenes

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 11:36am

Post #105 of 368 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Here is the link [In reply to] Can't Post

for a great site, which is very interesting if you want to know more about what is happening here. If you click on individual quakes, you can see a map of exactly where they are centred.

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 11:37am

Post #106 of 368 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Oh ,good news there. Thanks kel.\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 11:38am

Post #107 of 368 (1160 views)
Shortcut
That's what happens when you are under the table! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see Ro's post for ages.
I am so glad they are okay.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 11:39am

Post #108 of 368 (1011 views)
Shortcut
omg, Starling! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank God you're okay! And all of those children and families panicked to get reunited. I'm so glad you're safe!!! *massive hug*

sample sample

Unused Scenes

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 11:42am

Post #109 of 368 (1288 views)
Shortcut
I just sent PMs to them all. They may see an alert to check in. [In reply to] Can't Post

If they were really shaken they may be stunned. It may take a little while for them to sort things out. I am praying so.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 11:42am

Post #110 of 368 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Starling! [In reply to] Can't Post

The footage I've been watching has been from people standing in the street and the dust is still so thick and high that it looks like fog.

sample sample

Unused Scenes

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 11:44am

Post #111 of 368 (1328 views)
Shortcut
I PMed Pioneer but he hasn't responded yet [In reply to] Can't Post

He's in Christchurch so I'm just hoping it's a case of him not having electricity or something. I hope he and his family are doing fine Frown

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 22 2011, 11:47am

Post #112 of 368 (1099 views)
Shortcut
((MASSIVE HUGS)) [In reply to] Can't Post

to all the Christchurch sibbies..what a day. Saw this on another site and had to come back here and post my good wishes for you all.

You all have noticed I've been off TORN for a while. I just got back into town. FYI, I've had a triple whammy--lost my grandma, one of my aunts and one of my best friends in the past 12 days, 2 of them unexpectedly. (No, I'm not exaggerating. ) It's been a tough February for me. TH hasn't been much on my brain, sorry folksUnsure

But my situation pales next to that of all the poor familes who lost loved ones and property in this quake. I'm just heartsick. Cirdan, please, can you just, like, go on strike? Hold the Ships back? Mandos is really trying our patience these days.Unsure
I will light a candle for them. and keep them (and all of you) in prayer.

May God bless and keep you all, and have mercy please, dear Lord, on ChristchurchUnimpressed

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Feb 22 2011, 11:51am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 11:48am

Post #113 of 368 (1211 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness you're all fine [In reply to] Can't Post

Kel informed us on Facebook as some of us have a thread going on there keeping tabs of you all (Laera was worried about the NZ sibs and won't have access to TORn over the next couple of hours... but she will have access to Facebook which is why we started the thread).

Anyway, hope the kiddies get over it soon... they must've been pretty scared. Take care Heart

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 11:52am

Post #114 of 368 (1627 views)
Shortcut
At the moment we are having a shake about every 5 -10 minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so over this.
Every time there is a shake, Midgey runs to bark at the rangehood, which rattles in even the smallest shake. Midgey knows all bad things come from there!
Once I get a chance to sort out our bed I will attach him to me so he can't run over to the rangehood, and I will stuff him down the duvet. This is my tried and true method as developed after the 7.1.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2011, 11:54am

Post #115 of 368 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Sunflower [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am very sorry to hear you have been having such a hard time of late. That is an awful lot of loss for you. (((hugs)))

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 12:52pm

Post #116 of 368 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Holy cow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That graph is pretty--graphic. I knew you guys were suffering blow after blow, but that graph really spells it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 12:55pm

Post #117 of 368 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Poor kitty. [In reply to] Can't Post

And poor books. That's almost inconceivable, that many books piled in an avalanche. It will be back breaking work to clean up the mess, but as you say, not as heart-breaking as it could be.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 12:57pm

Post #118 of 368 (961 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

The books can be re-placed, but people cannot! Unsure

You've got a tremendous job ahead of you, but it will be much more bearable, knowing that everyone is there to do it. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 1:00pm

Post #119 of 368 (947 views)
Shortcut
So glad to know you're OK! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 22 2011, 1:00pm

Post #120 of 368 (980 views)
Shortcut
I have co-workers in Christchurch [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear our sibs in Christchurch are safe. Now I'm waiting to hear from co-workers there, whose office is right downtown near much of the damage.

Sounds like it is not over yet by a longshot for you folks, our thoughts are with you.

Notta

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 1:01pm

Post #121 of 368 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that a church is like a home. How devastating. I'm sure it will be rebuilt in time, but how sad it is now.

I've never been to NZ, and halfway around the world here, the first thing I thought of when I heard about the cathedral was the boardgame Cathedral, which has been sitting on our shelf for decades and which was modeled on your city and your church. Because of that silly game, I've always had a fondness for Christchurch, even when I didn't know anything else about it.

But now the name means so much more, and I'm so very glad to hear you're all right, sweet, sweet Starling.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2011, 1:03pm

Post #122 of 368 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Give extra hugs [In reply to] Can't Post

to Midgey and the kitties from all of us!

So glad that you're unharmed, and the school is okay - everyone shaken, but safe!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 1:03pm

Post #123 of 368 (1042 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you're all right [In reply to] Can't Post

and so glad to meet you, though I wish it had been under much better circumstances. Thank you for checking in!

Slayer_Of_Orcs
The Shire

Feb 22 2011, 1:04pm

Post #124 of 368 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Godspeed to our TORNsibs ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and ALL New Zealanders affected by this event. I have experienced smaller quakes in the past ... very scary. It is hard to imagine what Christchurch is going through at this time.

My thoughts and prayers are with New Zealand.

We are waiting ...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2011, 1:07pm

Post #125 of 368 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thank goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad to hear from you, dear Starling. What a terrifying day. What a terrifying year. I can't even begin to imagine. I'm so glad you and yours are all right. Poor dogs, poor kitties. And what an ordeal with the school kids, and their poor parents. Whew!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.