Africa
View Results (82 votes)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2011, 5:24am

Post #51 of 83 (396 views)
Shortcut
The only.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Canadian I'm assuming you mean?? And that is ok..you are 'allowed' to be a Canuck and not like hockey...I think....or should I be reporting you to 'the powers that be'??? :)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2011, 5:26am

Post #52 of 83 (379 views)
Shortcut
Not...really... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh come now SirDennis....you are in Kingston....a 'mecca' of hockey....Don Cherry, Doug Gilmour, Kirk Muller, Alyn McCauley (well, almost K-Town anyway)...all K-Town natives....FebFest is alive and well there....!!!!...kidding of course....but you do like curling right?

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 14 2011, 5:38am

Post #53 of 83 (396 views)
Shortcut
Nope... and *twack* you stop being horrible :-P // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

(This post was edited by Kelvarhin on Feb 14 2011, 5:40am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 14 2011, 7:24am

Post #54 of 83 (392 views)
Shortcut
It's like this [In reply to] Can't Post

Blew my knee out playing football in high school. That pretty much put an end to my interest in sports in general. Soccer's not bad...

You are right about hockey being huge around here though. I've often wondered why Kingston doesn't have a National League team. The Frontenacs seem to have no problem packing 'em in.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 14 2011, 3:49pm

Post #55 of 83 (422 views)
Shortcut
It's a whole 'nother country. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in central Texas.

I once had one of those maps that showed the true size of Texas. El Paso was on the Pacific Ocean, the Panhandle was up near the north pole, and East Texas was over by New York. The southern tip of Texas was down by the Panama Canal. All the other states and countries were just jammed in around Texas. Laugh

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2011, 4:21pm

Post #56 of 83 (409 views)
Shortcut
Geez... [In reply to] Can't Post

those knees eh? Always the knees! Mine are in rough shape from years of hockey mostly, throw in some rugby, soccer and swimming and I get bad knees before I"m forty. Along with a bad back, ankles and hips. All those areas that get jarred the most from body contact.

As for Kingston, yeah its a hockey hotbed for sure. The only thing keeping that team from getting a pro franchise is the population. Being right in the middle of Ottawa and Toronto it would logically make a good spot for another franchise. The Frontenacs have some great history. And Doug Gilmour coaching them the last two years must be great for publicity! Home town boy comes back to coach the local franchise!
One year I was working in Oshawa, and my dad was working/living in Kinsgton. Same company just different offices, anyway, both offices went in on a sponosorship deal with the local teams, us with the Oshawa Generals and the other office with the Frontenacs. Part of the deal was each office got seasons tickets to their respective teams. I was really the only big hockey fan in our office so I got to see most of the Generals games that year, especially those games against the Frontenacs. At the end of the season, the 'boss' of the office whose team had fewer points had to wear the 'other' teams jersey for a day. I believe my boss had to wear the Frontenacs jersey that year.
I have a cottage just north of Kingston, up Division St., so I spend many weekends duirng the summer out that way. Great area. Kingston is one of my favourite towns.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2011, 4:43pm

Post #57 of 83 (421 views)
Shortcut
Europe - The Netherlands [In reply to] Can't Post

great to have another sib from Europe, welcome!

KAOS82
Rohan

Feb 15 2011, 12:17am

Post #58 of 83 (377 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

as the poll shows we europeans are less than americans and that thing doesn't surprise me 'cause we are less in number of population (1 to 5) but even if we are few we can make our voice spread out Wink
btw we are a 'family' and it doesn't matter where we came from but what we have in coomon that is the passion for Tolkien's masterpieces and PJ movies

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 15 2011, 12:57am

Post #59 of 83 (365 views)
Shortcut
I really think you should have had more choices. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I lived in Canada or Mexico or Bolivia I would have been unhappy being lumped with the United States. Heck I am from Minnesota and I have problems being lumped with the USA.

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Feb 15 2011, 12:57am)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 15 2011, 2:06pm

Post #60 of 83 (352 views)
Shortcut
I can think of a few reasons [In reply to] Can't Post

for there being fewer Brits anwering this poll. The smaller population size has been mentioned, which is probably the biggest reason of all. (Internet connectivity wouldn't be one, according to SirDennis' graph, which shows a higher percentage of internet usage in the UK than in the US.)

But I can also think of a couple of psychological reasons for the lack of British respondents. One is that many Brits might find the vigorous debating style on these boards a bit "alien" and off-putting - I doubt I'd have ever started to post if I hadn't already become comfortable with the North American style from my many years living in Canada. Even now I feel too shy (or private, or something) to join in with things like Fiesta Friday.

And the other reason is that Brits have to answer "Europe" in this poll. That's just so not how Brits classify themselves!

Cool

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 15 2011, 2:18pm

Post #61 of 83 (356 views)
Shortcut
FarFromHome [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting thoughts - I share your view on some of your thoughts like Fiesta Friday. For me it was pretty natural to start posting as most forums are structured approximately in the same way as this (in a very good way, of course) Cool

sador
Half-elven

Feb 15 2011, 3:22pm

Post #62 of 83 (360 views)
Shortcut
This sub-discussion reminds me of the long-missing Saelind. // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 15 2011, 7:23pm

Post #63 of 83 (343 views)
Shortcut
Did she like hockey as well? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that you mention it, it has been some time since we've heard from her...

Ref
Rivendell

Feb 15 2011, 9:30pm

Post #64 of 83 (347 views)
Shortcut
England [In reply to] Can't Post

Leicester, England - right slap-bang in the middle Laugh

KAOS82
Rohan

Feb 16 2011, 2:14am

Post #65 of 83 (347 views)
Shortcut
as I wrote before... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I choose to put only the continents otherwise I should have put at least 10-12 differents options
The poll is to know where are you from, the forum is made to be more precise and discuss
that's all

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 16 2011, 5:19pm

Post #66 of 83 (325 views)
Shortcut
I was born in Wyo and my Sis was born in Cali [In reply to] Can't Post

But now we live in Michigan. We joke that we are nomads.Smile. It's really my mom and dad who are the nomads though because GB and I have lived in Michigan since I was three.Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 17 2011, 4:36pm

Post #67 of 83 (302 views)
Shortcut
I move around a lot but [In reply to] Can't Post

i try to be in Mundus Imaginalis, but i find that where ever i am, i'm in Axis Mundi.

But those around these here parts call it joisey, north joisey to be exact.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2011, 4:44pm

Post #68 of 83 (351 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I studied French, we had a big poster in the classroom that said "Texas is bigger than France."

Elentari03
Rivendell

Feb 20 2011, 5:49am

Post #69 of 83 (414 views)
Shortcut
USA - California// [In reply to] Can't Post

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Feb 21 2011, 2:56am

Post #70 of 83 (345 views)
Shortcut
Canada and ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Not as much of a fan as Donry!

(I'm in Toronto - your westward progression from Kingston ends here, of course!)

sador
Half-elven

Feb 21 2011, 2:14pm

Post #71 of 83 (272 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nashville Predators, no less.

(Of course, I didn't remember it; but a simple search comes up with this information, as well as with a couple of apologies for being late for RR discussions because of their games,)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2011, 3:24pm

Post #72 of 83 (290 views)
Shortcut
Still none from Africa. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I remember reading posts from someone from some Western African country.... can't remember whether it was here on ToRn or somewhere else - she was bragging that she believed to be the only one in Western Africa with a copy of HoME. Blush

KAOS82
Rohan

Feb 22 2011, 12:25am

Post #73 of 83 (281 views)
Shortcut
in effect, it's strange that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there're not africans; maybe (but it's difficult to believe) someone doesn't remember that JRRT was born in Bloemfontaine (South Africa) even if he moved to UK very quickly

also there are few Kiwis (those linked to our ME) and less Asians (cinema is not very diffuse in that continent, maybe the books too, I don't know exactly...)

and I am the only italian here, or so it seems Tongue

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 22 2011, 1:47am

Post #74 of 83 (330 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure there are people [In reply to] Can't Post

that are Italian. Just not ALL the way. I'm so mixed I don't know what I am all the way though.Smile

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Feb 23 2011, 7:29am

Post #75 of 83 (269 views)
Shortcut
I consider myself a global citizen, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if you want to get specific, I'm San Franciscan, born and raised. It would be difficult to take the California out of me. I have lived in different states in the United States, (Ohio, Texas, North Carolina) and it's true that some states are so different from each other, it's like visiting another country. I have also briefly lived in The Netherlands.

My grandfather was British, so sometimes we use words or phrases in my family that are British and we sound weird to other Americans. I had to explain to a kid I know that my mom wasn't British (and my mom really doesn't sound that British) and was actually born here in California. It was kinda cute. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.