Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Tolkien logo

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 20 2011, 9:28pm

Post #1 of 16 (3732 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien logo Can't Post

I was just dinking around with GIMP the other day and this is what I came up with. I know it isn't an old style like LOTR but I wanted to try to mix a modern look with the Tolkien logo.
What do you guys think?Smile

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilė.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 20 2011, 10:00pm

Post #2 of 16 (3194 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

how similar Tolkien's wordmark is to the Chinese character for "centre" or "middle?"

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 20 2011, 10:03pm

Post #3 of 16 (3175 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't notice that. Well, I may have if I ever knew anything about Chinese.Smile That's interesting!

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Feb 20 2011, 10:43pm

Post #4 of 16 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if that was done on purpose.

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing the evidently prefer.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 21 2011, 12:56am

Post #5 of 16 (3170 views)
Shortcut
Being the "wordie" that he was, [In reply to] Can't Post

that may be the case. Or it may be a happy coincidence since his character is clearly formed from his initials. Others here would be able to answer that question with more authority than I can muster presently. Angelic

The character is quite familiar as it forms part of the word for "China," or as the Chinese say, "Middle Kingdom." (Middle-earth anyone?) Note too the character looks like an overhead view of a dragon.Wink

(Middle Kingdom aka China)

As you probably know already, in pictographic writing such as Chinese calligraphy, words are often formed by adding marks to existing roots -- such as what may have happened with JRRT's wordmark, beginning with the character for "middle" -- or combining distinct characters, such as above.

But there is another reason I brought this up. For me, when it comes to logo design (logo from the Greek logos meaning word or reason), the meaning you are trying to convey should be built into the symbol. As well, a logo should create an association to its meaning. Though a bit of a cheat, this can be achieved through repetition such as the "M" of McDonald's fame.

To me, your design takes a successful logo and combines it with (some) words one might associate with that logo. It is a bit too random but at the same time arbitrary. In this way it is more like a "tag cloud:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud

Having said all this, your composition skills are solid. But the meaning of the piece isn't clear to me. Blush

If you are thinking of ways to update Tolkien's logo, perhaps you might redo it in a familiar contemporary font; what font does Twitter use in its logo?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 21 2011, 1:02am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 21 2011, 1:30am

Post #6 of 16 (3164 views)
Shortcut
And to follow up on "middle + ?" [In reply to] Can't Post

part of the JRRT mark is the character for "person":

Who can say?

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 21 2011, 3:12am

Post #7 of 16 (3178 views)
Shortcut
There isn't really... [In reply to] Can't Post

a meaning to the picture. I was just trying to combine a more contemporary look with something Tolkien related.
To quote someone in my Photoshop magazine "In my mind nothing has to make too much sense. If there is a giant egg in the landscape, so be it." - David Fuhrer

Here is another pic that I did. Again, no meaning just my favorite art style as the Tolkien logo.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 21 2011, 3:16am

Post #8 of 16 (3202 views)
Shortcut
This I like! [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry for the previous design lecture... Crazy

Nimloth9
The Shire

Feb 21 2011, 12:59pm

Post #9 of 16 (3125 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! Thumbs up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of all the kanji characters I know, the logo reminds me most of this one. I'm Japanese btw, and the character means: a bundle; to bind up.

Nimloth9
The Shire

Feb 21 2011, 1:22pm

Post #10 of 16 (3153 views)
Shortcut
oops, here's the kanji [In reply to] Can't Post

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 21 2011, 4:50pm

Post #11 of 16 (3134 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't bother me at all! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is easier to improve something if you get an honest opinion. Smile

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 21 2011, 5:04pm

Post #12 of 16 (3121 views)
Shortcut
Very cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always been sort of facinated with the Japanise language. A long time ago I learned the numbers 1-20, now I have only forgot 12 and 13. I admire people who can speak two languages!

Stay around TORN!Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 21 2011, 5:38pm

Post #13 of 16 (3152 views)
Shortcut
Can't get much closer than that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Going back to GB's question, now I too wonder if we are dealing with coincidence or inspiration?

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 21 2011, 11:36pm

Post #14 of 16 (3132 views)
Shortcut
How about this one? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like it as much as the graffiti one. Smile

Nimloth9
The Shire

Feb 22 2011, 5:05am

Post #15 of 16 (3313 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

You still remember that much!
I wish I could learn another language though.
Btw,
12 = jyu-ni
13 = jyu-san

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 5:05am

Post #16 of 16 (3375 views)
Shortcut
ooo [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Needed a refresher! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.