Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Aidan Turner (Kili) talks with EW
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 20 2011, 2:23pm

Post #1 of 30 (2628 views)
Shortcut
Aidan Turner (Kili) talks with EW Can't Post

Entertainment Weekly has a recent interview with actor Aidan Turner - otherwise known as Kili in the upcoming 'The Hobbit' films. Some highlight below, and for the full story visit Popwatch at EW.com:
You were sporting a pretty impressive beard at the Hobbit press conference. Is that for Kili?
AIDAN TURNER: Yeah, it is. I'm growing out the beard. We're giving it a chance, seeing what it looks like.

Is that how Peter Jackson plans to make you less handsome and more dwarf-like?
To de-handsomify me? [Laughs] No, not really. I mean, famously in the books, the dwarves have really long beards, so we're just trying stuff out and seeing what it looks like.

Are you in "hobbit boot camp" now?
Yeah. Well, it's dwarf boot camp, not really hobbit boot camp. It's just all dwarves--training and stuff.

[Read More] (Thanks to Ringer Irfon for the heads up!)

(This post was edited by calisuri on Feb 20 2011, 7:31pm)

Bound
Rohan

Feb 20 2011, 7:32pm

Post #2 of 30 (946 views)
Shortcut
Beards... [In reply to] Can't Post

That confirms my theory that they are going to try do as many natural beards as possbile... maybe ad extensions if needs be...

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Mortimus
Bree

Feb 20 2011, 8:06pm

Post #3 of 30 (899 views)
Shortcut
Agghh!! My Eyes! 'Being Human' spoilers!!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ctrl+Z, dammit...

Welsh hero
Gondor

Feb 20 2011, 8:08pm

Post #4 of 30 (844 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this and thought of you

(I'm Irfon :p)

They're really keeping quiet about Boot camp....... wonder why....

http://www.facebook.com/hobbitnz

Welsh hero
Gondor

Feb 20 2011, 8:09pm

Post #5 of 30 (816 views)
Shortcut
The title is evil. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it and had a mini heart attack.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2011, 8:17pm

Post #6 of 30 (796 views)
Shortcut
Non-disclosure agreements. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Welsh hero
Gondor

Feb 20 2011, 8:18pm

Post #7 of 30 (878 views)
Shortcut
Probably. he's worried he'll say the wrong thing...... [In reply to] Can't Post

and they'll not be happy if he does.

(This post was edited by Welsh hero on Feb 20 2011, 8:19pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2011, 8:29pm

Post #8 of 30 (826 views)
Shortcut
My understanding is... [In reply to] Can't Post

that under a standard agreement, pretty much everything is off-limits. So it's less about saying the wrong thing and more like trying to talk without saying anything at all. Tongue

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2011, 8:44pm

Post #9 of 30 (822 views)
Shortcut
It's amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

how much we are capable of speculating even though they're not really saying anything Tongue

Imagine if they actually listed everything that they were not allowed to talk about. That would be one loooong list.
You are not allowed to discuss unannounced cast members
You are not allowed to discuss how many push-ups you did yesterday
.... or the day before
You are not allowed to discuss the catering on set
Finally, you are not allowed to discuss the list itself Angelic

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 20 2011, 9:19pm

Post #10 of 30 (783 views)
Shortcut
List? [In reply to] Can't Post

What list? I ain't seen no list. What was your question?Evil

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Eldaria
Rivendell

Feb 20 2011, 9:46pm

Post #11 of 30 (798 views)
Shortcut
Makeup chair madness [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read from several sources that Jonathan Rhys Davies said it took 4-5 hours each and every day of filming to have his prosthetics and make-up applied. Times that by 13 for TH and I'm certain they are looking for ways to speed up that daunting task. And each dwarve would probably have his own makeup artist that would work exclusively with him over the course of the shoot. That would ensure that they get the same 'look' every day and they would gradually become quicker and quicker at getting the job done each morning.

I don't understand how weaves would work. What happens as the natural beard grows? And how do you attach prosthetics on a bearded face?

“There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep ... that have taken hold.”

KAOS82
Rohan

Feb 20 2011, 11:48pm

Post #12 of 30 (748 views)
Shortcut
yes it's true [In reply to] Can't Post

John to act as Gimli spent each shooting day more than 4 hours for his dwarfe look-like and he suffered a lot cause it was very irritating for him but he did a great job and so have to do the dwarves in TH, a natural barb is impossible cause dwarves barbes are very long and well-estetic as I saw in many different pictures
let the barb grow naturally in this case IS ABSURD!!!

TURIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NINIEL

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2011, 3:00am

Post #13 of 30 (725 views)
Shortcut
Why should Dwarves be ugly? [In reply to] Can't Post

They're stunted, not gross. As a Dwarf-friend I find this idea to be Elven propaganda.

But yay for Aidan, he seems like a good guy. :)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 21 2011, 3:03am

Post #14 of 30 (668 views)
Shortcut
Beauty is a relative thing.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2011, 3:35am

Post #15 of 30 (754 views)
Shortcut
EW is always good [In reply to] Can't Post

about getting as many glimpses of what's going on in NZ when there's Tolkien-esque things going on ;)

I'm so glad I renewed my prescription... description... ohhhhhh you know what I mean ;)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2011, 9:26am

Post #16 of 30 (622 views)
Shortcut
Not in Tolkienverse. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could give you list.

Tall = good
Short = bad
Slender = good
Sturdy = bad
Light skin = good
Dark skin = bad
Blond or black hair = good
Red hair = bad
etc
etc
etc

The Elven cultural hegemony is the poison of M-E! Mad

Sly

bookgirl13
Lorien

Feb 21 2011, 10:16am

Post #17 of 30 (648 views)
Shortcut
A bit sweeping [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many examples which show that your analysis is not universally applicable.

Hobbits are shorter than dwarves, they are not 'bad'.
Saruman is known as 'the white' but I would hesitate to call him good at the end of his tenure in ME.
Red hair = bad? Where and when?
The Nazgul were Númenoreans, so presumably white Caucasians.
Denethor is another example which proves the exception to your 'rule', and two of the 'villains' of The Silmarillion were Thingol (who was incredibly tall) and Fëanor (black-haired, tall, masterful). Even the golden-haired Galadriel was proud, and self-exiled from Valinor because she wanted her own lands to rule and desired the Ring to preserve her kingdom.

IMO the depiction of races and racial characteristics, and their relation to moral relativism in Tolkien is more complex than you appear to be stating.

Dwarves are called 'unlovely' in The Silmarillion, but Aulë created them to be a bulwark against Morgorth and he had an imperfect recollection of the appearance of Elves and Men in the vision of Iluvatar. They were meant to be sturdy so they could defend the earth. That is not what makes them bad, but they did have flaws intrinsic to their nature, as had all the other races on ME.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2011, 10:48am

Post #18 of 30 (637 views)
Shortcut
Forgive me my laziness [In reply to] Can't Post

Bad = bad in the terms of beauty, i.e. not attractive
Good = aesthetically pleasing

I'm the first to admit that these rules have expections, but as you know, expections just prove the rule. I've been wondering about the cultural uniformity of the different people of M-E. Hobbits and Elves, apparently independently from each other, like similar colors. The Rohirrim put a white stone into the crown of their king. Such an Elven thing to do! Women are considered to be appealing when they're tall, slender, and gracious as opposed to lets say curvy and saucy.

And I have certain grievance against JRRT for writing that Maedhros was physically well-formed and handsome, but had red hair. I dare say his fangirls don't complain much about the said red hair. Tongue

bookgirl13
Lorien

Feb 21 2011, 12:23pm

Post #19 of 30 (610 views)
Shortcut
I understand now... [In reply to] Can't Post

... where you were coming from. Physical attractiveness does seem to fit into a narrower aesthetic than some of us are comfortable with. But it is prevalent across all cultures and ages, with minor variations, in the real world and ME.

Tolkien uses short-hand epithets to denote his characters - like the Homeric 'rosy-fingered dawn' - and the height and fairy-tale beauty of characters is a indication of their closeness to Valinor and the Elves. The Numenoreans are taller than other men, and they are the ones given extended life and the Island as a reward. Thingol was the tallest of the elves and he was the one to marry a Maiar. (Hurin was an exception to this tallness = 'good'.)

Tolkien's apparently strong preference for tall = attractive (even amongst hobbits) might be based on his own relative shortness. As a similarly shorter than average person, I too regard those taller with envy and find them generally more attractive! But years of standing at a bar not getting served and finding clothes generally look more elegant before I put them on, my experiences have probably coloured my perceptions.

btw thank you for alerting to the red-headedness of some of Feanor's sons. I shall now have to follow those up. Perhaps the but had red hair was related to the fact that the hair colour was an indication that Maedhros's mother was not the pure-blooded Noldo that Feanor preferred! But Maedhros was tall, perhaps in compensation.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2011, 12:37pm

Post #20 of 30 (642 views)
Shortcut
Hadn't though about that [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's shortness might have indeed affected his tastes.

And to be just, he did intend to write "mythology for England". So it's understandable that it has an English feeling, even if it means limited cultural variety.

As for you being short and admiring tall people: I was tall when I was teenager (I had my growth spurt earlier than the rest of my class) and therefore identify with tall or tallish people. And to me some of the most appealing things are the short people, both men and women. I guess I connect shortness with youthfulness and strong spirit. My OCs too tend to be short too.

acheron
Gondor

Feb 21 2011, 8:47pm

Post #21 of 30 (569 views)
Shortcut
Next time you get on a plane [In reply to] Can't Post

make sure you appreciate being "shorter than average". You can wave to me in the next aisle, I will be the one squished up in one of those tiny seats. Wink

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

bookgirl13
Lorien

Feb 22 2011, 11:01am

Post #22 of 30 (461 views)
Shortcut
There are some advantages [In reply to] Can't Post

I was generally thought younger than I actually was - galling when I was young but later I appreciated it.

I also showed my dexterity in fighting my way through legs and arms to get to the front of a concert and stand in with my head in the speakers.

But generally, I always wished I was taller (and slimmer).

bookgirl13
Lorien

Feb 22 2011, 11:10am

Post #23 of 30 (473 views)
Shortcut
Also think about the historical context [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien would be well aware that, when the British Government was recruiting for the Boer War, the vast majority of men were found to be unfit and undernourished to be in the army. They had to continually lower height and weight requirements to get enough me to send out to fight.

According to some (all?) historians, WWI was won and lost on the fitness and diet of the combatants.

Height was a definite indicator of the quality of health of people, so it is not surprising when Tolkien was envisaging a race whose spirit and longevity required a 'strong' body, that being tall was almost mandatory!

Doesn't excuse his ant-red headedness (though I still have to look into this) Smile

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2011, 6:14pm

Post #24 of 30 (442 views)
Shortcut
Just a thought about dwarf beards [In reply to] Can't Post

So here's my thought (and please excuse the following run-on sentence.) If Aiden is growing out his beard, and as we've seen so far in the books and films that Dwarves have long beards, and considering he's playing a supposedly young dwarf, could it be that for those playing younger dwarves, they're considering letting them have shorter beards to help depict that they are on the younger side? It could also save those involved in the filmmaking process a fair amount of time and money to reduce time spent in the makeup chair and increase time filming.

I wonder if they'll come up with a way to simplify the makeup as well, considering that it did take such a long time to do the Gimli makeup and they have more dwarves to work on. Also, I'm wondering if they also maybe are planning to reduce some of the makeup, as I recall reading that the casting of some of these young, handsome actors was partly to give us some eye-candy as well, so they may not want to cover up their faces with as much makeup as used on dwarves in LOTR. As I recall, Gimli was the youngest of the dwarves in the council in Rivendell, and in the film, they didn't seem to want to imply that he was young, or they probably would have went with younger casting.

Oh, and as for the Tolkien asthetics, personally, I find red hair extrememly attractive. Wink

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2011, 6:17pm

Post #25 of 30 (418 views)
Shortcut
I suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

there's going to be less prostethics, and the actrors' faces are allowed to be seen more. Or should I say I wish that's the case, as IMHO they went too far with LotR dwarves. But the fact they're at least considering letting some of them have their own beards could indicate this.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.