First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

acheron
Gondor

Feb 3 2011, 3:08pm

Post #1 of 40 (5628 views)
Shortcut
TORN LOTRO kin Can't Post

Hey..

So I played LOTRO for awhile a couple years ago, but stopped shortly before the Moria expansion came out. I've been thinking of getting back into it. Isn't there a kin for TORN people (on Landroval I think)? Are you all still playing? I think one of the reasons I quit before was that I didn't have any friends playing it, and though I tried a couple times I never found a group to play with, so a TORN group would be great. Smile

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 3 2011, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 40 (4922 views)
Shortcut
We do have a kin on Landroval! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's called "The Sibs of TORn."

We're not terribly active, but the more people we can get to participate, the more active we can become, I hope.

Let us know what times you generally play, and we can make sure that one of the kin officers can invite your toons in!

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Feb 3 2011, 6:30pm

Post #3 of 40 (4925 views)
Shortcut
Rosie's right, there sure is! [In reply to] Can't Post

A few of us pop in now and then. We pass out invitations like candy; no application needed!

Now if only the busy season at work will end... I'm guilty ten times over for crimes of unavailability for the Sibs of TORn. I'm a lifer, though, so as long as I can afford internet access I'll be dropping by the Party Tree to e-smoke some of Lobolan's (13th Hour) excellent pipe weed by the pound.

Here's a shameless pitch for the kinship and LOTRO in general. I'll try to log off the VPN and on to Landroval 5-6 hours from now.

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

I don't know about you, but the name "Farmer Maggot" would deter me away from his produce faster than those guard dogs of his. Farmer Maggot, seriously? I'd much rather thieve from the likes of a Farmer Tastytaters or Farmer Sweetcorn. How about old Farmer McDonald? I'm lovin' it.

acheron
Gondor

Feb 3 2011, 11:49pm

Post #4 of 40 (4908 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll create my new characters on Landroval then. Will probably roll a char or two tonight, and I have tomorrow off of work so I should have some time during the day to get a good start. Cool

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2011, 4:28am

Post #5 of 40 (4936 views)
Shortcut
We have most hours [In reply to] Can't Post

of the day covered I think...but there are only a few of us on there.....so it's fairly quiet at the moment.....but the Kinship is definitely full of characters....just waiting for more to join in!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 5 2011, 6:54pm

Post #6 of 40 (4904 views)
Shortcut
Be sure to let us know your new toons' names. [In reply to] Can't Post

And we'll have to arrange a time to have a kin officer online at the same time you are to invite you in.

I don't remember all my toons' names, but the ones I can recall offhand are RosieLass (natch!), Bnessin, and Belweneth.

Don't ask me what class or level they are, though, because I'd have to look to see. Crazy

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

acheron
Gondor

Feb 7 2011, 4:10pm

Post #7 of 40 (4907 views)
Shortcut
ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I added Rosielass, Donry, and Legalize to my list so hopefully I can catch one of you. I'll add your alts there next time I'm on. Actually saw Legalize on the other night, but only when I got the message "Legalize has signed off", so obviously that didn't work...

Only rolled one character so far, named Alaraman.

13thHour
Rivendell

Feb 8 2011, 1:42am

Post #8 of 40 (4875 views)
Shortcut
add me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

My character's name is Lobolan (elf hunter). If we're on at the same time, I'll gladly shoot you an invite. We're always on the lookout for some fellow Tolkien-loving players!

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

(This post was edited by 13thHour on Feb 8 2011, 1:44am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2011, 4:39am

Post #9 of 40 (4980 views)
Shortcut
I haven't [In reply to] Can't Post

been on much in the last couple of weeks, but am looking to get back into the swing of things a bit more. I'm usually on pretty late at night (or early depending on how you look at these things!), usually its sometime after 1:00 am eastern. My shift is over at midnight usually, so getting home, grabbing a bite to eat and then settling in to play for an hour or two usually gets me online around then.....Hope to see you online sometime! I have 7 characters roaming around Landroval, Donry being the highest level of my toons...

acheron
Gondor

Feb 10 2011, 4:40pm

Post #10 of 40 (4857 views)
Shortcut
Got in [In reply to] Can't Post

Legalize invited me in yesterday evening. So I'll see you all on soon hopefully!

Also I want to thank 13thHour for the pipeweed he sent me. Cool

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2011, 4:50pm

Post #11 of 40 (4830 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done! Welcome aboard.....and lets get that kinship house going one of these days.....like Animal House but Tolkien....

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Feb 10 2011, 4:59pm

Post #12 of 40 (4833 views)
Shortcut
Tu-nic! Tu-nic! // [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know about you, but the name "Farmer Maggot" would deter me away from his produce faster than those guard dogs of his. Farmer Maggot, seriously? I'd much rather thieve from the likes of a Farmer Tastytaters or Farmer Sweetcorn. How about old Farmer McDonald? I'm lovin' it.

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 10 2011, 5:19pm

Post #13 of 40 (4848 views)
Shortcut
Are we eligible for a kin house yet? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember how long it takes.

And can anyone afford the upkeep? I don't have that much coin. Tongue

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2011, 5:53pm

Post #14 of 40 (4837 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

What the timeline is....and no idea what the upkeep is.....ummmm.....my main has a couple gold pieces only....so probably not enough to even buy one...

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 10 2011, 6:00pm

Post #15 of 40 (4845 views)
Shortcut
It's a certain number of weeks. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't recall how many. Fifteen? Eighteen? Dunno. And I don't remember how long the Sibs kin has been around, either. Crazy

My personal house on Brandywine is a deluxe, and it was 8-ish gold for the original purchase, and some couple hundred silver for a week's upkeep. And I know kinship houses are more.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2011, 6:07pm

Post #16 of 40 (4839 views)
Shortcut
A deluxe!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

My toon has to roll with your toon more often! :)
I have the 'normal' house....or basic, whatever its called....I think its about 55 silver a week.....its a bit small though....I'm thinking of upgrading one of these days....but the coin is tough...

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Feb 10 2011, 6:07pm

Post #17 of 40 (4845 views)
Shortcut
We're eligible, yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Currently TSoT is a Rank 7 kinship, so we're allowed to purchase a house, and yes, have 1,200 toons on our member list. Shocked

Big ol' houses like the one we deserve are ~15 gold, give or take a few. I doubt we have enough for the initial purchase yet, which is fine. One of these days we'll get more than 2 of us online and we'll tour some homes... You know, have an e-viewing to pick a neighborhood/street location.

Upkeep is about 300 silver, which I can cover without problems.

Lob needs a place to store his mountains of pipe-weed, after all. Tongue

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 10 2011, 6:11pm

Post #18 of 40 (4847 views)
Shortcut
I converted to a deluxe house from a standard. [In reply to] Can't Post

I needed (well...wanted) the extra storage container, and the deluxe house gives a bigger vendor discount even than the kinship house does.

And when you're getting your behind handed to you regularly by skirmishes or instances, the savings on repair bills can add up. Pirate

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 10 2011, 6:18pm

Post #19 of 40 (4837 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to run around and earn some more cash. [In reply to] Can't Post

To contribute to the house purchase.

I have a couple toons who haven't even started their crafting yet, though, because they don't have any money to work with.

I made my mini a yeoman--cook, farmer, tailor--which was probably a mistake, because every time she's collected a little bit of coin, she levels and has to spend it all on buying her skills and doesn't have any left to craft with. Minis have more skills to shell out for in lower levels than the other classes do...all those instrument proficiencies and stuff!

Without a gathering craft (prospector or forester), she can't just collect and auction items for coin. And even though farming is relatively inexpensive, it does require a little outlay.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2011, 6:21pm

Post #20 of 40 (4818 views)
Shortcut
Tell me about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

My main is a yeoman...and the farming isn't really that profitable until higher levels...and I have found tailor rather useless at this point....

acheron
Gondor

Feb 10 2011, 6:24pm

Post #21 of 40 (4842 views)
Shortcut
I went with explorer [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first played (on Windfola) I went with Yeoman too. It was fun -- I liked the cooking and farming a lot -- but expensive.

Explorer -- forester/prospector/tailor -- I think will bring in a lot of cash. So I can start contributing to a kinship house fund too pretty soon. Smile

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 10 2011, 6:32pm

Post #22 of 40 (4849 views)
Shortcut
Tailoring is hideously expensive. [In reply to] Can't Post

And complicated, with all the extra items you have to make/purchase in order to craft an item. On a lot of them, you spend more on the additional components than you get back for vendoring the item after it's crafted.

So it can be frustrating to level.

Cooking is horribly expensive, too, if you wind up buying a lot of ingredients rather than farming them, but at least you can use the food. Every level needs food!

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 10 2011, 6:34pm

Post #23 of 40 (4929 views)
Shortcut
Good choice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I made sure I had at least one of every craft with my first few toons, but after that I just made all the others explorers, so they would always be able to collect something, wherever they are.

acheron
Gondor

Feb 13 2011, 10:11pm

Post #24 of 40 (4867 views)
Shortcut
Crafting [In reply to] Can't Post

So who do we have as crafters?

Right now I am hoping we have a metalsmith who can make me iron crafting tools. :) I have plenty of iron for them!

I have lots of wood and metal for resources, and I'm doing pretty well at leveling the tailor skill up so far, so let me know if anyone wants apprentice/journeyman things from any of those skills!

Also, I would have sent this in-game mail, but I couldn't find how to send mail to the entire kin. Does that only work if you are an "officer" or something?

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2011, 5:13am

Post #25 of 40 (4918 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you can email the entire kinship.....there is a checkbox......if you get into the mail box and select compose....there should be a check mark in the bottom left hand corner some where about emailing the Kinship....I have done this once, but it was with a 'ranked' toon.....so I'm not sure its available to all....I would think so though...

As far as crafting goes...I imagine we have just about everything imaginable. I know of my 7 toons, I've overlapped most of the crafting abilities.....It would just be a matter of who is online most often for you I think....????

If no one else gets back to you, let me know...I have a metalsmith (not sure who off the top of my head or what level he is), and might be able to help...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.