Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Kiwi Cartoonist Tom Scott's Latest

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 30 2011, 5:02pm

Post #1 of 14 (2452 views)
Shortcut
Kiwi Cartoonist Tom Scott's Latest Can't Post

Kiwi cartoonist Tom Scott comments on Peter Jackson's stay in hospital in his latest comic.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 31 2011, 1:09am)

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Jan 30 2011, 10:33pm

Post #2 of 14 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Looks More Like Spielberg To Me [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss Fat Peter at times for seemed at his best when was a portly Hobbit

Patty
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 10:52pm

Post #3 of 14 (1174 views)
Shortcut
I'm just so glad he lost all that weight before this happened to him. Imagine how much that would have [In reply to] Can't Post

complicated his illness and recovery. Take it from one who knows--you don't even breathe as well when you're very overweight.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2011, 11:08pm

Post #4 of 14 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Fat vs thin Peter [In reply to] Can't Post

He looked so much happier and jolly when he was fat, but now while thinner, he doesn't appear to sparkle as much as he did.

(This post was edited by Carne on Jan 30 2011, 11:09pm)

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Jan 30 2011, 11:19pm

Post #5 of 14 (1191 views)
Shortcut
He's not Santa Claus. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 30 2011, 11:48pm

Post #6 of 14 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Although if he were, [In reply to] Can't Post

the toys would be *awesome*.

"Look what I got! A catapault!"

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

StarElf
Rohan

Jan 31 2011, 3:12am

Post #7 of 14 (1077 views)
Shortcut
And can you imagine the deranged Christmas carols? [In reply to] Can't Post

"I want a Numeorean for Christmas! Only a Numenorean would do!
Don't want a Smaug,
nor lembas made from soy,
just a Numenorean to play with and enjoy!"

Was the world being born what called me...?
At the bottom of the deep sea, I could hear a voice.

(This post was edited by StarElf on Jan 31 2011, 3:16am)

thain_of_westfarthing

Jan 31 2011, 3:26am

Post #8 of 14 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Pardon me for being dense, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

What is the joke in this cartoon? Is is that the level of technology in Middle-earth is so primitive that surgery performed there would end up looking as depicted in the cartoon?

The level of skill (and technology) in Middle-earth surgery would depend upon which race was performing the procedure. I would expect orc surgery to be pretty gross, dwarf surgery somewhat less so, and elf surgery would be pretty advanced.

Remember, Elrond was supposed to have drawn out the fragment of the Morgul-knife that was working its way towards Frodo's heart. There was a small scar left on his left shoulder (as we are told when he awakens afterwards). Certainly nothing like that depicted in the cartoon. PJ's doctor would appear to have been at the level of orc or dwarf surgery, as the cartoon depicts the results.

Pardon me for going all Michael Martinez on you all here, but it was because I didn't quite get the joke.

squire
Half-elven

Jan 31 2011, 3:42am

Post #9 of 14 (1145 views)
Shortcut
The joke is addressed to the 99% of people who think LotR is standard fantasy fare [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right about the details of Tolkien's works regarding medical care and surgery. But most people who will read that cartoon don't know those details, and don't even know they don't know. To them, LotR is a famous medieval sword and sorcery epic movie that won a lot of awards and made a lot of money for Sir Peter Jackson. In the generic version of such books and movies there are a lot of medieval style clothes that "lace up" rather than using, say, buttons or zippers. Thus the joke is that Sir Peter's surgery was "laced up", grommets and all. It's not meant to be realistic either with regard to Tolkien's world or ours.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

StarElf
Rohan

Jan 31 2011, 3:45am

Post #10 of 14 (1130 views)
Shortcut
It is kind of hard to tell, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think those might be rings attached to the sutures.

(This post was edited by StarElf on Jan 31 2011, 3:46am)

thain_of_westfarthing

Jan 31 2011, 4:12am

Post #11 of 14 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Rings attached to sutures? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are those supposed to be the nine rings of men, then? If so, there are only eight round rings (actually, grommets) in those laced sutures. The lowest suture does appear to have a square "buckle" on it. Maybe that's the Nazgul-lord's ring, which would make nine.

"Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
"And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 31 2011, 5:26pm

Post #12 of 14 (931 views)
Shortcut
Ow... ow... ow... :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Jan 31 2011, 5:41pm

Post #13 of 14 (966 views)
Shortcut
I assumed that it was Warg Rider style repair [In reply to] Can't Post

though if I remember correctly, that was even more outlandish...

StarElf
Rohan

Feb 1 2011, 9:48am

Post #14 of 14 (1064 views)
Shortcut
*shrugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

As squire pointed out, they do seem to be grommets. Maybe I just can't reconcile a Middle Earth fan who'd perform that sort of surgery on Peter Jackson----maybe if they were also a D&D player, though. Crazy I've known some larp-players who'd....well, let's just say I wouldn't be surprised to see THEM coming up with the idea.Sly

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.