Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
What is the maximum size for attachments to the board?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2011, 12:40am

Post #1 of 23 (456 views)
Shortcut
What is the maximum size for attachments to the board? Can't Post

And are there any files that are not accepted? What files are accepted? (.jpg, .gif, .pdf, .doc, etc)

Thank ye kindly.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2011, 12:47am

Post #2 of 23 (395 views)
Shortcut
The best person to go to for this information [In reply to] Can't Post

is the one and only Magpie, in her Image Posting Guidelines!

And if the answers you are seeking are not there, just mention them here - and I bet she'll be by with all you need to know! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2011, 12:55am

Post #3 of 23 (395 views)
Shortcut
Alright, I'll send her a PM. [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone else knows, though, any input would be great.

Crossing my fingers for something around 4MB accepted...

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 1:03am

Post #4 of 23 (415 views)
Shortcut
she's talking attachments [In reply to] Can't Post

not images displayed in posts, which is what my tutorial covered.

Although, images displayed in posts can be an attachment... not all attachments are images and not all images that are attachments are displayed in posts. Some are opened by clicking on the attachment link.

From TORN 201 FAQ - bold done by me
2.21 How do I upload an attachment? First of all, please note that all attachments must be 250 kilobytes or smaller. If you use the Advanced Editor: click on [Browse] next to the “Attachment” box at the far bottom left of the “Reply” box. Find the file on your PC that you want to attach to your post and click on the [Open] button. Click on [Upload Attachment]. You can stop there if you want to just leave the file as an attachment. If it is a picture that you want to insert into your post, place your cursor in your post where you want to insert the picture. Click on the picture icon in the Advanced Editor menu and instead of inserting a URL address from the internet, check the “Inline Image” option. Select the inline image you want to insert, hit the “Submit” button and voila! Your image will be inserted at the point you specified. If you use the Basic Editor: follow the steps above to upload an attachment. If it is a picture you want to insert into your post, type the following: [inline filename.fileformat] Hint: you can copy the filename and file format directly from the attachment name at the bottom of the “Reply” box. Remember, if you’re using the Basic Editor, you can also click on the [Get Markup Help] link at the top of the “Reply” box (See 2.9 above).

From the same source - bold present in the original source
The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 50k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 250k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 50k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 25k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

My interpretation is that, if you want to display the image in your post, it must not be larger than 50k (and it really needs to be below that... more like 45k) but an image larger than 50kb but below 250 could be attached.

As to what file types can be uploaded, I don't see any info on that. I'd be tempted to run a trial and error.

Let me run one as replies to this message.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 1:06am

Post #5 of 23 (405 views)
Shortcut
gif - jpg - png trial [In reply to] Can't Post

all three worked

LOTR soundtrack website

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 30 2011, 1:07am)
Attachments: Opaque-Sky-Blue.gif (2.31 KB)
  Thin_BlueIce.jpg (18.1 KB)
  ClearBlueSky.png (29.8 KB)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2011, 1:09am

Post #6 of 23 (394 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie, you've covered it well. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2011, 1:10am

Post #7 of 23 (405 views)
Shortcut
So as long as [In reply to] Can't Post

they're not placed within the body of the post, they should attach okay! Smile Thank you, Magpie!

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 30 2011, 1:11am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 1:11am

Post #8 of 23 (393 views)
Shortcut
pdf trial [In reply to] Can't Post

ah... even though the terms of say the max for attachments are 250kb, trying to attach a pdf created with photoshop that was 163kb was denied.

let me try larger photos.

a jpg at 157 was denied.

So I think the 250kb limit is in error. I think it's less than 50kb that's allowed.

a pdf under 50kb was accepted

LOTR soundtrack website
Attachments: Opaque-Sky-Blue.pdf (19.1 KB)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 1:18am

Post #9 of 23 (398 views)
Shortcut
I think the FAQ are in error - see my pdf post - the limit is not 250kb [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps the total limit is 250 - but the FAQ seems to indicate to me that any accepted file can be attached that is under 250kb and that is not the case.

Now, in the FAQ, the two entries are switched in order from how I presented them. The displaying images in a post is first... the attachments is second. So perhaps the implication is that the info about displaying images in a post transfers to the attachments and since no image above 50kb can be displayed in a post, then no file larger than 50kb can be attached.

But that is not how I would interpret it. I would see rules about displaying images as a smaller subset of the rules about attachments in general. Therefore, I would think that 250 kb could be attached but not displayed. However, I am in error with that interpretation. I feel that this needs to be clarified in the FAQ.

LOTR soundtrack website

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 1:23am

Post #10 of 23 (403 views)
Shortcut
are you sure? [In reply to] Can't Post

So as long as
they're not placed within the body of the post, they should attach okay!

Ainu Laire was asking about attachments so I didn't test displaying... but I would guess the file types of jpg png and gif would display fine.

Remember we're talking two things here: file type and file size.

I was only testing file type with the post you replied to.

jpg

png

gif

The file types jpg - gif - png can be attached and can be displayed within a post.

The file type pdg can be attached but can not be displayed within a post.

LOTR soundtrack website

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 30 2011, 1:25am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 1:28am

Post #11 of 23 (398 views)
Shortcut
mp3 trial [In reply to] Can't Post

a 22kb mp3 file uploaded

a 45kb mp3 file uploaded

a 63kb mp3 file would not upload

LOTR soundtrack website

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 30 2011, 1:28am)
Attachments: Wilhelm_TTT.mp3 (21.2 KB)
  fotr_haldir_Mae govannen Legolas Thranduilion.mp3 (45.0 KB)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 1:36am

Post #12 of 23 (389 views)
Shortcut
doc - odt [In reply to] Can't Post

odt = Open Office document - needs to be opened with Open Office freeware

doc = can be opened with many types of word processing software

LOTR soundtrack website
Attachments: homemade butter mints.odt (10.4 KB)
  things not to say during rotk.doc (12.0 KB)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 1:47am

Post #13 of 23 (414 views)
Shortcut
summary conclusions [In reply to] Can't Post

The following file types could be attached to a post :
  • jpg
  • png
  • gif
  • pdf
  • doc
  • odt
  • mp3

It's possible other file types would attach just fine.

Only these file types tested could be displayed as an image in a post:
  • jpg
  • png
  • gif
bmp files were not tested at they are very large and would probably never be small enough to meet the limits in kb size. It should also be noted that png files tend to be large in kb size in relationship to their pixel dimensions. I do not use png files here because they must be very small in pixel dimensions to be under the limit. jpg and gif are better file types for images displayed here.

However, the limit on file size whether they be attached or displayed seems to be 50kb (and again, I have found that that limit is more like 45 than 50).

The TORN 201 FAQ does read: "all attachments must be 250 kilobytes or smaller."

However, even file types as small as 63kb were rejected. It is possible the setting has changed but the FAQs not updated. Or the FAQs may mean to imply that the total size of all files attached to one image must be 250 kb or smaller but no individual file can be larger than 50 kb. That requires clarification from someone other than me.

And finally, it bears saying that there is also a limit on the pixel dimensions of images displayed in posts. I do not believe that limit applies to images that are merely attached but not displayed in the body of the post. But that is only a guess on my part and not to be taken as official word.

LOTR soundtrack website

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2011, 1:50am

Post #14 of 23 (389 views)
Shortcut
I'll ask Altaira/Inferno to look into it. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2011, 2:33am

Post #15 of 23 (393 views)
Shortcut
I spoke too soon! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for doing all this testing! Crazy

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 30 2011, 3:50am

Post #16 of 23 (401 views)
Shortcut
I think that's a typo [In reply to] Can't Post

*cough* my typo *cough* Blush

The size indicated in the picture posting part of the FAQ is correct: It's 50K. The attachment part has a typo of 250K. But, since a picture is nothing more than an inline attachment, the file size limit is also 50K. I've fixed it. Thanks!Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 30 2011, 3:53am)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 30 2011, 7:49am

Post #17 of 23 (418 views)
Shortcut
I think that each time [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a jpg rejected, there was a message about being over the 48kb limit. Very annoying to be over it at 48.3 after making sure that I wasn't over the specified 50kb, especially as it never happened to me in the early days of the new boards.

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2011, 10:48am

Post #18 of 23 (415 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Granted, this completely throws my idea of posting something related to TORn through the forums-- it's a 3MB pdf file, and the normal uploader through the admin area only takes files up to 2MB. This is getting really annoying. XD

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 2:48pm

Post #19 of 23 (384 views)
Shortcut
One short term option [In reply to] Can't Post

is the service: YouSendIt.com

I use this a lot for files that can't be 'attached' to a post in a forum. If you register, you can upload quite large files and they are available for 100 downloads and 7 days (whichever comes first).

If you don't register, the max size is smaller as are the # of downloads and days. It pays to register. I get regular promotional emails from them which are not overly spamming but I haven't noticed any other untoward effect from registering. I have an old yahoo account I use for registering on sites like this. Also, there are a lot of ads on the site but I have Adblock so I don't see them.

You can handle files two ways. Set it to be sent directly to another email or send it to yourself. If you're sending it to someone else, they are sent an email with a link to the file. If you send it to yourself, you are sent that email. Either way, you are presented, upon completion of the upload, with a url for downloading the file. If I want to share it with lots of people, I 'mail' it to myself, grab the url when the upload is complete, and provide that url in a post.

And to be clear... YouSendIt does not mail the actual file. It stores the file on their server and mails out a link to download the file.

Off hand, I can't think of another way to put it on the web full time unless you have a website. Google Docs seems to convert the pdf to text and discards any images. Probably not what you want.

LOTR soundtrack website

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 30 2011, 2:52pm

Post #20 of 23 (421 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I will make photos the proper size using the 'Save for Web' option in Photoshop. I can control the pixel size and the kb size. I'd scale it down to the proper pixel size and under 50 only to find it was rejected. Then I'd have to go back and redo it.

I don't know why it took me awhile to get it... but I also made that mistake a few times. Now I just aim for 40 and under.

But it's hard to tell people it's 50kb because that's what the FAQ/TOS says when I know that's not correct.

LOTR soundtrack website

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 31 2011, 1:27am

Post #21 of 23 (377 views)
Shortcut
This is the first I've heard of that problem [In reply to] Can't Post

(comments are general and not necessarily directed to Magpie).

The solution to the FAQ not being right is simple - let me know it's not right and I'll change it. Tongue

The attachment size is part of the board set up for each forum, and the value is currently exactly 50k. I'm not sure why the software cuts it off just below that, but it is what it is. I just edited the FAQ to say the max size should be 45k. That should solve the problem of people going right up to the limit, only to find the board software won't accept the attachment/picture.

Sorry for any inconvenience. Again, if there are any other little glitches like this, please let me know so I can adjust the board software, or adjust the FAQ, accordingly. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 31 2011, 4:10am

Post #22 of 23 (397 views)
Shortcut
I thought this had been discussed before [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't know if it was on feedback or as a side conversation somewhere else. :-)

Now I have to remember to change the tutorials on my site.

LOTR soundtrack website

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 31 2011, 5:49pm

Post #23 of 23 (493 views)
Shortcut
Found it! [In reply to] Can't Post

We discussed it on the LotR Movie board back in January 2010. :)

NARF
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.