The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Lord of the Rings complete recordings

djm008
The Shire

Jan 27 2011, 6:44pm

Post #1 of 11 (422 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings complete recordings Can't Post

I am looking for Lord of the Rings complete recordings, all parts. I know they are for download, but i want the originals. Is somebody her who has a spare part?

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 27 2011, 9:34pm

Post #2 of 11 (191 views)
Shortcut
:-) [In reply to] Can't Post

well.. I wonder if anyone has a 'spare' copy they'd let out of their possession. You might find someone but I'm guessing a lot of people wouldn't part with their copy for any reason.

Why not buy a new copy?

CR FOTR
CR TTT
CR ROTK

Amazon has 'used' copies available through second party dealers but there is no cost savings for these so a new copy is just as good a deal.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2011, 9:46pm

Post #3 of 11 (186 views)
Shortcut
As far as I know [In reply to] Can't Post

the recordings of LotR are not legally available for download (except maybe the Mind's Eye dramatization, which, I've read on these boards, is available from libraries in the USA.

If you mean the unabridged recordings by Rob Inglis (which are brilliant), then you'll need to fork out the cash for them. They're worth it!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 27 2011, 9:49pm

Post #4 of 11 (245 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

by 'complete recordings' I assume the poster meant the complete recordings of the soundtracks.... because that is the name of those sets: Complete Recordings.

If not... I think we need some clarification of what the djm008 is looking for.

But I didn't think s/he was looking for downloads.

I know they are for download, but i want the originals.

It sounds like they want a physical copy of something.

LOTR soundtrack website

djm008
The Shire

Jan 28 2011, 7:38pm

Post #5 of 11 (197 views)
Shortcut
indeed i mean the soundtracks [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed Magpie. I mean the soundtracks which are called Lord of The Rings complete recordings.

3 cd's and 1 dvd in each set. I know they are downloadeble, but i want the originals...

I saw them on amazon, but there still expensive....

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2011, 7:56pm

Post #6 of 11 (171 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure why you'd think someone would sell them cheaper [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no harm in asking, but most people I know who post here (can't speak for the lurkers) would not be likely to sell their set for cheaper than the going rate.

They are expensive but I think of music in terms of how much enjoyment it will give me. If the CR-ROTK (which has 4 CDs and a DVD) has 4 hours of music and you listen to it ten times, that works out to about a $1.35 a hour. How much do you spend for a movie that lasts 2.5 hours? How much do you spend for a hamburger that is eaten and digested in 4 hours.

And most of us listen to these things more than 10 times. If you plan to listen less, they are probably not a good bargain. But, music, imo, is the best bargain around for entertainment in comparison with movies and food. But everyone's mileage varies on that.

Also, you get the liner notes which are comprehensive. In fact, the liner notes were worked into Doug Adams book so, by purchasing the CR sets, you have a good portion of his book.

And, the packaging is nicely designed. These are not jewel cases.

The fact that even used copies of the sets are selling for the same price as new tells me these things are highly desired and are unlikely to be found at cheaper prices. I'd rather buy something new and know it was in good shape (or returnable) than to buy used at nearly full price and take my chances.

But, like I said, there's no harm in looking around. Have you tried e-bay? Around here, we stores that carry used CDs (some are music stores, some are 'book' stores that have CDs and DVDs). Do you have anything like that near you?

Good luck.

LOTR soundtrack website

djm008
The Shire

Jan 28 2011, 8:21pm

Post #7 of 11 (170 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello there,

Thanks for the text. No i don't have shops like that in my naberhoud. I live in the Netherlands.

I can't find them second hand...

So i have to keep looking.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2011, 8:40pm

Post #8 of 11 (169 views)
Shortcut
You could try the Tolkien Shop [In reply to] Can't Post

- aka Tolkien Winkel, in Leiden. here's a link to their site.

http://www.tolkienshop.com/contents/en-uk/d44_01.html

This is the English version; there's a Dutch one too (naturally).

Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2011, 9:55pm

Post #9 of 11 (168 views)
Shortcut
They don't have them - and it doesn't look like they're any cheaper than Amazon [In reply to] Can't Post

although... I didn't do the conversion from Euros to Dollars but these are new items. The issue isn't availability. The issue is, djm008 wants a less expensive alternative than buying a new set. But even used sets offered through Amazon are the same price as new.

just fyi - None of the following that are listed at that site are the CRs

Howard Shore, Soundtrack The Two Towers deluxe edition
Housed in a blue leather slipcase with extra bonusmaterial on the cd. Limited.
This is the Limited Edition CD. It's the same CD as the TTT OST with one extra track on it containing music heard in FOTR extended scenes. The case is leatherette.

Howard Shore, Soundtrack The Return of the King deluxe edition
In a darkgreen leather slipcase, with a dvd abut the making of the soundtrack and more bonusmaterial. Limited. Cd.
This is the Limited Edition. It's the same CD as the OST - about an hour's worth of music. But there's a bonus disc that is a DVD of extras. The case is leatherette.

Howard Shore, Soundtrack The Return of the King - Internet version
In a darkred leather slipcase with extra bonusmaterial. Plus a dvd about the making of the soundtrack.

This is the same music as the deluxe edition mentioned just above but the case is a different color and collectible cards were included.

Howard Shore, The Lord of the Rings soundtrack
The Motion Picture Trilogy Soundtrack
Slipcase with 3 cd's on which the soundtrack of the movies. With a set of 7 different inlays.*
That's just the three OSTs packaged in a slip case.

There are some nice options otherwise, in terms of non Jackson/Shore soundtrack music. I might be tempted to buy a few were that a US site.

LOTR soundtrack website

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2011, 11:04pm

Post #10 of 11 (163 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that [In reply to] Can't Post

- as you can see, stuff relating to the movies is not my forte. My area of expertise lies in the books and their derivatives, such as posters, calendars and audio versions of the books.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 28 2011, 11:38pm

Post #11 of 11 (303 views)
Shortcut
the movie soundtrack releases can get confusing [In reply to] Can't Post

confusing enough, I created a whole section on my site to document the differences so people could figure out what was what ... and what they wanted to buy. It doesn't help that some sites have slightly misleading info on their products (like the wrong image for some releases).

I even had to solicit some help to finish that section.

I meant to say that I have seen the Limited Editions for very good prices on ebay. Earl linked me to a sale where I got one (the TT Internet LE) for less than $1.32 and S&H. That was more fun than thrift store hunting!

LOTR soundtrack website

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.