The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The Middle-earth 1200 (#'s 900-891)

Dân o’Nandor-on-Anduin
Rivendell

Jan 19 2011, 5:00am

Post #1 of 3 (432 views)
Shortcut
The Middle-earth 1200 (#'s 900-891) Can't Post

A necessary few-weeks hiatus, but I’m back, just before The Hobbit, to which I’ve dedicated this endeavour, begins filming...

1st QUARTER REPORT - Of the first 300 characters, this is the breakdown:

Sexes: 224 males (74.5%); 72 females (24%); 4 neutrals (1.5%)

Races: 147 Men (49%); 75 Halflings (25%); 28 Elves (9.5%); 7 Orcs (2.5%); 6 Maiar (2%); 5 Dwarves (1.5%); 5 canines; 4 Giants/Trolls; 4 birds; 4 spiders; 3 horses; 2 trees; 10 others.

Sub-Races: 73 Eriador Hobbits (24.5%); 33 Númenoreans (11%); 31 Europeans (10.5%); 14 1st House Edain (4.5%); 13 Gondor Dúnedain (4.5%); 13 2nd House Edain (4.5%); 12 Avari (4%); 12 unknown Men (4%); 10 Noldor (3.5%); 8 Undead (2.5%); 7 Eothéod (2.5%); 7 Orcs (2.5%); 6 Gondor Men (2%); 5 3rd House Edain (1.5%); 4 spiders; 3 Sindar; 3 Longbeards; 3 Enemy Maiar; 2 Arnor Dúnedain; 2 Falmari; 2 Broadbeams; 2 Trolls; 2 Giants; 2 wolves; 2 dogs; 2 cats; 2 normal horses; 25 others.

Occupations: 73 unknown (24.5%); 45 children (15%); 33 mothers (11%); 29 soldiers (9.5%); 13 animals (4.5%); 10 loremasters/writers (3.5%); 10 explorers/adventurers (3.5%); 8 guards/watchmen (2.5%); 7 Lords (2.5%); 6 mariners (2%); 6 wives (2%); 4 Ruling Princes; 4 healers; 4 food-preparers; 4 mounts; 4 Princes; 3 Princesses; 3 smiths; 3 outlaws/thieves; 3 professors; 3 lawyers; 2 Chieftains; 2 farmers; 2 counsellors; 2 woodsmen/foresters; 2 handmaidens; 15 others.

Asterisks (In the UT index, new characters are asterisked – I’ve continued this Pre-UT/Post-Sil premise, as Foster/Tyler/etc contain only the former): 224 Asterisked (Post-Sil) Characters (74.5%); 76 Un-asterisked (Pre-UT) Characters (25.5%).

These percentages will of course change through the next 3 quarters. But of note, in the breakdown of Sub-Races so far, the top 4 groups (combining the 3 Houses of the Edain) are 3rd Age Hobbits (73), 2nd Age Númenoreans (33), 1st Age Edain (32), & our Age Europeans (31) – a fitting apportioning of the full Story of Tolkien’s Secondary World, all 3 Ages in descending order, ending with the Real World conduit Age of his tales (always of import to him).

Further thoughts, including my essential reasons for doing this, will await the Half-time Report. But I can say that the total hits to my list on all websites is now nearly 20,000! So some devotees are paying heed, and thanks to all!!

The 2nd quarter will see the emergence, in this order, of the Stewards of Gondor, Kings of Arnor, Kings of Númenor, Chieftains of the Dúnedain, Lords of the Edain, Kings of Rohan, Outlaws of Barahir, White Trees, & Kings of Gondor. And we begin appropriately with the one I’ve been prematurely ushering-in for several weeks now...

#900 Elatan of Andúnië, husband of Silmarien
By marrying the eldest child of Tar-Meneldur, this titled Númenórean of the northwest haven became the father of the 1st Lord of Andúnië, thus progenitor of the line of Faithful extending through King Elessar. He’s mentioned only in the 1st paragraph of ‘Aldarion & Erendis’, and gets 4pts from the UT index (1pg indexed), 1pt from the ‘Line of Elros’ family-tree, & 1pt from Wiki.

#899 Pansy Baggins>Bolger, wife of Fastolph
She’s Bilbo’s great-aunt, and the ancestor of 'various descendants'. She, as well as the following 3 hobbits, gets 3pts from Foster’s ‘Guide’, 1pt from EoA, 1pt from Wiki, & 1pt from the LotR index (with 2pgs indexed). Pansy appears on 2 trees, as do the next 2 hobbits.

#898 Belba Baggins>Bolger, wife of Rudigar
She’s Bilbo’s natural aunt, and the great-grandmother of Fatty Bolger.

#897 Ruby Bolger>Baggins, grandmother of Frodo
She’s the younger sister of Rudigar Bolger, and married Fosco Baggins. Their children were Dora, Drogo, & Dudo.

#896 Bingo Baggins, uncle of Bilbo
Bingo, unlike the 3 hobbits above, appears on only 1 family-tree, but is also indexed from the text in my 2005 Hammond & Scull edition (although I find him nowhere within ‘A Long-Expected Party’). Whether it’s an honest mistake, or an ode to Frodo’s former name in the drafts (or a bit of both), Bingo appears early in the 2nd quarter, rather than late in the 1st.

#895 Umuiyan, doorkeeper of Tevildo
This 3rd & last cat to appear (see Miaulë #991 & Oikeroi #1057) is described as having yellow eyes & a large ugly head. When Lúthien approaches him to see Tevildo, Umuiyan says “Whither away, little maid – dost not know that you trespass on the sunning ground of his highness Tevildo and his thanes?” Then she pets him, “and seizing Tinúviel suddenly by her garments at the shoulder to her great terror he tossed her upon his back and... led her along that terrace to... the horrible form of Tevildo himself”. Umuiyan then whispers in his ear “A maiden awaits thy pleasure, my lord, who hath news of importance to deliver to thee”; and after they converse, as the doorcat stumbles bearing away Lúthien, Tevildo says “What ails thee, Umuiyan, thou clumsy-foot? It is time that thou left my employ if age creeps on thee so swiftly”. The old cat responds, “Nay, lord, I know not what it is, but a mist is before mine eyes and my head is heavy”, and it’s said he staggered as one drunk, “so that Tinúviel slid from his back”, and he laid down “as if in a dead sleep”. Umuiyan gets all 6pts from the BoLT2 index, with 2 indexed pgs.

#894 Daurin, Noldo of Valinor
In ‘The Lost Tales’, when Morgoth & Ungoliant destroy the 2 Trees in Valinor, a wandering Noldo named Daurin, wielding a blade “from the forge of Aulë... steeped in miruvor”, intercepts their plans; and although he cleaves one of Ungoliant’s legs, he is soon succumbed and stabbed to death by the 2 assailants. Daurin gets all 6pts from the BoLT1 index, with 3 indexed pgs.

#893 Ulbar, shepherd of Numenor
He’s been foreshadowed on this list by Henderch of the Westlands at #948; Îbal, Ulbar’s son, at #961; & Ulbar’s Wife back at #1168. Ulbar is indexed as the “Númenórean, a shepherd in the service of Hallatan of Hyarastorni who became a mariner of Tar-Aldarion”. He gets all 6pts from the UT index, with 3 indexed pgs.

#892 Vigo Boffin son of Jago
He gets 4pts from the HoMe6 index, 1pt from Wiki, & 1pt from the LotR index, with 3 indexed pgs. He appears only on the Boffin tree, thus isn’t listed by Foster or Tyler. But a son of Jago (and grandson of Hugo & Donnamira Took) exists in the drafts, a Fosco Boffin, who no doubt became Vigo, thus I’ve combined their points. However, this Fosco in the drafts is also the businessman of Overhill (see #1174 & HoMe6); but Vigo & Mr. Boffin are both indexed in H&S’s 2005 LotR, so I’ve kept them as separate characters without adding any of Fosco’s pts to Mr. Boffin of Overhill. (If any of my faithful followers has a different angle on this, I’ll listen).

#891 Galdor, seneschal of Edoras
At first in the drafts he was simply “the old seneschal of Edoras in Eastfold (Dunharrow)”; but becomes Ealdor, then Galdor, still the old seneschal of the Eastfold, in the drafts to the ‘Muster of Rohan’. He never did make the cut for LotR, but gets all 6pts from the HoMe8 index, with 4 indexed pgs.

Some interesting one’s to come next week - a couple Elf Princesses, a couple Númenoreans, a Dwarf who didn’t make the LotR cut, a regular Hobbit at The Ivy Bush, the 1st of 4 Ainu time-weavers, the last link of the 1st leaders of the Eothéod, the horse of a very high-ranking Elf, and the last member of a prominent law firm...

(This post was edited by Dân o’Nandor-on-Anduin on Jan 19 2011, 5:04am)

sador
Half-elven

Jan 24 2011, 9:42am

Post #2 of 3 (281 views)
Shortcut
Just raising your score to nearly 20,001... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to meet Umuiyan, and the whimsical "sunning ground of his highness Tevildo and his thanes"!

And also Ellatan and especially Ulbar, with his highlighting of Eldarion's marital tragedy.

Do you know (or remember; I expect Christopher Tolkien has discussed this somewhere) what is the connection between the miruvor in which Daurin's sword was steeped and Elrond's?

And as a last comment - I strongly doubt there was ever a chance of Galdor the senschal making the cut - after all, who would give a noble of Rohan a Sindarin name? And I don't expect the senschal would be a foriegner of Gondor - in fact, I suppose Tolkien wouldn't want this French term in his trilogy!
I don't remember the drafts to The Muster of Rohan, but I half-suspect that Elfhelm "your marshal" replaced Galdor.

"Let me think!" - Aragorn.

The weekly discussion of The Lord of the Rings is back! Please join us in the Reading Room for Book III.

"This chapter reads like a detective story. How successful is the mystery for first-time readers? What compensations does it offer for returning readers who know how the questions will be resolved?"
- N.E. Brigand.

Dân o’Nandor-on-Anduin
Rivendell

Feb 3 2011, 5:40am

Post #3 of 3 (351 views)
Shortcut
late response [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for neglecting you sador, but for some reason I've been unable to access this site for some days now.

And as much as I'd love to discuss miruvor and its later incarnations, as I've said before, I don't really have the time or inclination to discuss general questions about Tolkien's World arising from my list - only things concerning the list itself.

For instance, I'll definitely look into your suggestion that Galdor's entire character may have been subsumed by Elfhelm. In return, any thoughts on whether Vigo should be considered to have been subsumed by Mr. Boffin of Overhill?? I'm not sure if you even own all of HoMe, or not.

Anyway, always look forward to your thoughts, keep em coming...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.