Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Elijah Wood confirms Orlando Bloom! (and that his own part as Frodo will be very small)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 16 2011, 10:37am

Post #1 of 38 (2772 views)
Shortcut
Elijah Wood confirms Orlando Bloom! (and that his own part as Frodo will be very small) Can't Post

I just found this on The Hollywood Reporter (apparantly they interviewed him just hours ago)

EXCLUSIVE: Elijah Wood: 'The Hobbit' Is Going to Be an 'Amazing Reunion'

"(Ian) McKellen is back, Cate Blanchett is back, Andy Serkis is back , and Orlando (Bloom)," Wood tells The Hollywood Reporter at the Art of Elysium 'Heaven' gala on Saturday evening. "It's going to be like going back in time."
  • As for who else might be joining the cast, Wood insists he doesn't know. He wouldn't even say if his Rings onscreen sidekick Sean Astin was coming back. "I haven't even read the script," he says.

Wood does know his part will be small and it will be shot in February. Wood's character Frodo doesn't officially appear in J.R.R. Tolkien's book The Hobbit, He did not say how Frodo would be worked into the movie. But Wood assured fans that he only took the part knowing that it would respect the work.
"There only would have been reservation about taking the part if there had been something that had infringed upon the integrity of the original book," he says. "But that was never going to be the case."
While the 'Rings' reunion is happening, the actor does not believe it will be a repeat session where the main actors opted for bonding tattoos during the filming of the original series.
"This time around, I don't think so," says Wood. "But you never know."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...mazing-reunion-72205

As the return of mr.Bloom has never been official, surely this is a very good indication of that he actually will. Elijah should know.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Jan 16 2011, 10:43am)

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2011, 11:18am

Post #2 of 38 (1157 views)
Shortcut
*dons protective gear in preparation for the rain of purist complaints* /// [In reply to] Can't Post

/

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 16 2011, 11:50am

Post #3 of 38 (1242 views)
Shortcut
I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

that those who think that the Hobbit would make a perfectly good movie without all the extra plot and LotR cast cameos have every right to complain. They are not all purists.
I am ambivalent. I want it both ways. The Hobbit pure and simple & The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings Part One. The first ain't going to happen so I hope for a minimum of egregious departures from the Book and Appendices of LotR.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jan 16 2011, 4:25pm

Post #4 of 38 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Framing Device [In reply to] Can't Post

As Tolkien provided a framing device for his story with the Red Book of Westmarch, as written by Bilbo and then continued by Frodo and Sam, followed by other editors and translators, then having an indication of this in The Hobbit film is not too much of a departure from Tolkien's intent. It is obvious from The Lord of the Rings that Bilbo regaled his young cousins, Sam and anyone else who would listen to him the story of his adventures with Gandalf and Thorin etc., so again showing Bilbo telling to story to Frodo, or Frodo reading from the Red Book is not a complete fabrication.

What will be more interesting is how the film will approach the changes that Tolkien made to the The Hobbit through several editions to reflect the newer ideas containing in The Lord of the Rings. His conception of Gollum and how Bilbo got the ring changed a lot and, rather than leaving The Hobbit alone, he incorporated the rewritten sections into his story of how the ring affected Bilbo.

The Hobbit as we have it now is substantially different at key points from when originally published. The changes to be made in this film are possibly less meaningful than the ones Tolkien made himself in his lifetime.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2011, 4:26pm

Post #5 of 38 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Not a purist [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not a purist, nor do I come under any other heading which can be considered in a derogatory tone. I think Kangi Ska puts it very well -

"I believethat those who think that the Hobbit would make a perfectly good movie without all the extra plot and LotR cast cameos have every right to complain. They are not all purists."

No-one will hear any complaints from me. I don't want to be called names.

Edit - Come to think of it, I'd be surprised if anyone posts a comment which differs from the status quo after that comment, from an admin.

(This post was edited by geordie on Jan 16 2011, 4:29pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2011, 5:35pm

Post #6 of 38 (1057 views)
Shortcut
I have no problem with the White Council storyline... [In reply to] Can't Post

but as others have said, turning TH into a glorified LotR flashback, rather than letting it stand on its own as an organic exercise in storytelling, feels like a contrived, hypocritical typical Hollywood move. Here's hoping the shadow of LotR does not pervade throughout the entire production.

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 16 2011, 5:55pm

Post #7 of 38 (1052 views)
Shortcut
It's all fun and games geordie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Asbestos suits were required clothing on the discussion boards after FOTR came out.

And welcome back to Movie: Hobbit. Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 16 2011, 7:06pm

Post #8 of 38 (980 views)
Shortcut
I agree. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 16 2011, 7:16pm

Post #9 of 38 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Hey, then the rain will put out the flames, and [In reply to] Can't Post

we can all have calm, placid discussions.AngelicWink
Here's an example of how we ought to behave (dons asbestos rain hat AngelicEvil): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdAXq3N2JmE

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2011, 8:33pm

Post #10 of 38 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaha! Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's especially apt because I remember when somebody who got banned from TORN went over to TORC and complained that we were nothing but a tea party. Laugh

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 16 2011, 9:39pm

Post #11 of 38 (937 views)
Shortcut
With all those returning, I wonder if Smeagol will make an appearance? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 16 2011, 10:04pm

Post #12 of 38 (942 views)
Shortcut
*squirts Kyriel with a water gun* // [In reply to] Can't Post

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 16 2011, 11:29pm

Post #13 of 38 (924 views)
Shortcut
I see they're using the Admin china. [In reply to] Can't Post

Better buff those finger-marks off the cups before using them again.

(You get a free drink at the next Fiesta for that one, Ethel!) Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 16 2011, 11:39pm

Post #14 of 38 (911 views)
Shortcut
Heeheehee! (Slurp, slurp . . . I mean [In reply to] Can't Post

sip.)

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2011, 12:04pm

Post #15 of 38 (810 views)
Shortcut
*hides water balloon behind back and waits for opportune moment* // [In reply to] Can't Post

/

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2011, 6:39pm

Post #16 of 38 (773 views)
Shortcut
That's quite likely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some flashbacks to Sméagol sitting by the river bank and teaching his grandmother to suck eggs would be welcome. It would help to break up the monotony of the back-and-forth riddling dialogue in the dark dreary cave, and give further insight into Gollum's personality to boot.

Maybe we'll see Déagol too? It would make the Return of the King prologue quite a bit more powerful if we got to see a younger Sméagol and Déagol playing together. (Were they relatives or just friends? Their names are strangely similar if it's the latter.)

(This post was edited by Flagg on Jan 17 2011, 6:43pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2011, 6:42pm

Post #17 of 38 (783 views)
Shortcut
The Riddle game is far from dreary [In reply to] Can't Post

- Tolkien was proud of those riddles. He made up all of them himself.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2011, 6:45pm

Post #18 of 38 (778 views)
Shortcut
I was talking about the cave, not the riddle game [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I don't think riddles really make for visually compelling film either. I believe the scene would benefit from flashbacks to Sméagol's youth.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 17 2011, 6:48pm

Post #19 of 38 (780 views)
Shortcut
How about the Salmon? [In reply to] Can't Post

I want a cameo by the magic Salmon (but not as the Elf Warrior Wench).

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 17 2011, 6:48pm

Post #20 of 38 (791 views)
Shortcut
That's down to the screenplay and the acting, Flagg.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... if the riddle game follows the book and is done well the build up of tension would be almost unbearable.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2011, 6:49pm

Post #21 of 38 (744 views)
Shortcut
O-kay, then. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Riddle game is not monotonous. Tolkien was proud of those riddles; he made them up himself.

Finrod
Rohan

Jan 17 2011, 6:56pm

Post #22 of 38 (767 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth's Riddlemaster [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien was proud of those riddles. He made up all of them himself.

Well, yes and no.

The riddles were enough his own that he felt people just copying them without acknowledgement were unfairly infringing on his creations. I shall avoid the p-word here, but that’s really what he thought.

But that doesn’t mean his riddles in the dark have no precedents whatsoever in those older traditions that Tolkien drew constantly upon in all his myth-making. Indeed, most of them do.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2011, 7:03pm

Post #23 of 38 (740 views)
Shortcut
Visually, I think it is monotonous [In reply to] Can't Post

'Riddles in the Dark' is an entire chapter devoted to dialogue between two characters in a dark, wet cave. Bilbo tells a riddle, Gollum tells a riddle, Bilbo tells a riddle, Gollum tells a riddle, and so on and so forth. I am not disputing the quality of these riddles or the scene's dialogue, but I could easily see the audience becoming bored with this scene if the visuals do not stray beyond the interior of a dark, wet cave. I think brief cut-aways to Sméagol's youth would be perfectly appropriate – Tolkien describes Sméagol's memories of eggs, flowers, sunlight etc, and I think that Jackson should show these memories.

Bran
Lorien

Jan 17 2011, 7:15pm

Post #24 of 38 (768 views)
Shortcut
Actually I think the opposite. [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene in LOTR where Serkis' Gollum argues with himself is generally accepted as one of the highlights of the three original films.

A dark claustrophobic cave, Bilbo all alone and vulnerable and a creepy Gollum, threatening to kill and eat Bilbo if he gets a riddle wrong - could be, and I think will be, another highlight. Of course, it requires two actors capable of bringing the best out of each other and the situation, but I think that's a given.

Mawr yw ein braint i berthyn i'r gwm Llynfi

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2011, 8:19pm

Post #25 of 38 (753 views)
Shortcut
Let me check.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't pull that statement out of the air; I was basing my latest reply on my memory of something which Tolkien said in a letter. On looking it up I see that, though I wasn't entirely accurate, I was at least near the gold:

"As for the riddles: they are 'all my own work' except for 'Thirty White Horses' which is traditional, and 'No-legs'. The remainder, though their style and method is that of literary (but not 'folk-lore') riddles, have _no models_ as far as I am aware, save only the egg-riddle which is a reduction to a couplet (of my own) of a longer literary riddle which appears in some 'Nursery-rhyme' books, notably American ones..."
(Letter no.110)

Which, I now see is what you were talking about; Houghton Mifflin wanting to take his riddles for a poetry anthology without a fee. What I would stress is Tolkien's word that most of them have _no models_, ie they are entirely his own work.
Smile

Tolkien enjoyed riddles and word-play, and he didn't limit this enjoyment to modern English. His contributions to 'Songs for the Philologists' are good examples of this (some are reproduced in Shippey's 'The Road to Middle earth'), and he also knocked off a couple of riddles in Anglo-Saxon. He sent one to his old boss at the OED, Dr Henry Bradley. I'm privileged to have seen the actual postcard from Tolkien to Bradley on which this riddle is written; it was part of an exhibition on the Inklings held at the Oxford Museum, in 1999 IIRC.

This, and another A-S riddle, are reproduced in The Annotated Hobbit, 2nd edition, pp.124-5. Douglas Anderson notes that both are 'original compositions, based on traditional riddles', and that the second one is 'an imaginative expansion of a familiar rlddle that survives in many variations'. (the modern riddle is 'Little Nancy Etticoat).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.