How would you cast The Hobbit?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

priell3
Lorien

Jul 16 2007, 1:49pm

Post #26 of 35 (4413 views)
Shortcut
How about... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Dominic Monaghan as Bilbo and Orlando Bloom as Thranduil?

Our other favorite "Hobbit" actors could appear in other roles at the end of the film
when Bilbo returns from his adventure and finds his belongings being sold.

Christopher Lee as the voice for Smaug?

Andy Serkis as the Great Goblin?

Severian

Jul 17 2007, 9:26pm

Post #27 of 35 (4407 views)
Shortcut
Wow, [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman would be a great Bilbo!

And how about Ricky Gervais as Gollum? Smile

Severian

Jul 17 2007, 9:29pm

Post #28 of 35 (4375 views)
Shortcut
Question... [In reply to] Can't Post

On this board, why don't threads bump back to the top of the forum when they are replied to?

Thanks.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2007, 11:04pm

Post #29 of 35 (4453 views)
Shortcut
Are you new? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, welcome. I don't know if I've seen you around here before.

I think the last part of this section of the FAQ may answer your question:

"2.3 Can I reply to posts that have fallen off of the board? Hallelujah, yes! Threads and posts stay active forever unless locked for some reason by a moderator; they simply move to page 2, 3, 4... etc. Eventually, threads will become dormant as they fall to older pages, so variations of a topic can be started anew. This helps preserve the “fresh, new conversation” aspect of the old boards. You can check on replies to old threads by re-sorting a board by “activity.” For more on how to do this (See 2.34…)."

~~~~~~~~

Coming up with reasons for changing my nick from GaladrielTX to Galadriel wore me out.

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2007, 11:34pm

Post #30 of 35 (4435 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Freeman, if you are reading this [In reply to] Can't Post

No disrespect was intended by suggesting you would make a wonderful Bilbo Baggins; I for one do not think you look like a goblin. I think you would be a fantastic edition to the already long line of brilliant actors who have visited Tolkien's Middle Earth, and a perfect successor (precursor?) to Sir Ian Holm.

HeartSmile

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Deagols_Bane

Sep 18 2007, 2:11am

Post #31 of 35 (4365 views)
Shortcut
Sylvester McCoy for Bilbo!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

One actor I've rediscovered that would be perfect for the part would be Sylvester McCoy. He played Doctor Who #7, and did a great job. He even looks about the same today that Ian Holm looked back in 1999 when they were shooting the LOTR films. Granted, he's in his 60's, but give him a dark wig and some makeup, and he'd be perfect! After all, Bilbo was already in his 50s when he found the ring, so it's not that big of an age difference. Look him up on IMDB.com and see what I mean!Smile

(This post was edited by Deagols_Bane on Sep 18 2007, 2:21am)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 18 2007, 2:27pm

Post #32 of 35 (4408 views)
Shortcut
As for Bilbo, Ian Holm or Elijah Wood. otherwise it would senseless. Solutions inside. Please read. [In reply to] Can't Post

It goes without saying that for Gandalf we need Sir Ian McKellen.

The problem arises with Bilbo.
I'd like to see Ian Holm, but if that's not possible, here are three solutions:

1-Find an actor who looks like an exact copy of a young Ian Holm, and then
a) call Holm to dub this guy
b) reshoot the scene in LOTR when Bilbo finds the Ring with this guy, leaving the voice of Holm.

2-use the performance capture (we need Holm to do the voice over) and create a perfect replica of the young Ian Holm we see at the beginning of LOTR.

3-Do a Princess Bride approach where they have our Ian Holm Bilbo telling the story to a group of little hobbits ) I say five to ten years before the 111th birthday of Bilbo) gathered on the floor or chairs around him (like at his party). We could have Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and maybe some others listening in with knowing smiles on their faces. Now, remember in Rivendell when Frodo told Bilbo he used to pretend he was off with him on one of his adventures? This would be a way for Elijah Wood to play both Frodo and Bilbo as he imagines himself on the adventure. (Thanks to grammaboodawg for this clever idea)

PLEASE, do not replace Ian Holm with another actor and pretend he is Bilbo... it would be just wrong.
And, most important, it would be painful for all the fans who have loved so much the trilogy, me included.

These solutions are not impossible to realize! They can be done. Please, don't ruin the whole movie with an easy solution.

As for the other actors... I leave this to PJ and Co. They already did a perfect job in LOTR, they know how to choose.

(This post was edited by xxxyyy on Sep 18 2007, 2:31pm)

esheming
Bree

Sep 19 2007, 10:29pm

Post #33 of 35 (4378 views)
Shortcut
not Ian Holm?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't understand this discussion. Bilbo did not age from the time that he found the Ring (this was an effect of the Ring). The prologue of the 'Fellowship' film shows Ian Holm, playing Bilbo, finding the Ring. This is accurate. He would have looked the same! No recasting necessary! Don't fix it if it ain't broke! I can't imagine anyone other than Ian playing Bilbo!

Warden Of Halifirien

Sep 5 2008, 1:09pm

Post #34 of 35 (4026 views)
Shortcut
Jeremy Irons [In reply to] Can't Post

Jeremy Irons should do Smaugs voice!!!

War is kindled

tobenhoff

Jun 24 2009, 3:32pm

Post #35 of 35 (5175 views)
Shortcut
Casting Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had one guy in mind for Bilbo for a while now, he's perfect, and it's Martin Freeman. He played the Jim character in the original british "the Office" and starred in Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy.

Nobody could be better. Average guy, with perfect comic timing, thrust into an impossible situation. He was born to play the role.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.