Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Deadline.com: Serkis Close to Signing

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 10 2011, 5:39pm

Post #1 of 25 (1706 views)
Shortcut
Deadline.com: Serkis Close to Signing Can't Post

Mike Fleming over at Deadline.com is reporting that Andy Serkis is close to signing on for The Hobbit. Any would of course be reprising his role as Gollum. Read more about this at Deadline.com

Meanwhile we will try to get the news directly from Andy himself, stay tuned!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jan 10 2011, 10:48pm

Post #2 of 25 (553 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic News [In reply to] Can't Post

Though not a surprise in the least. Still great to have confirmation, though! Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jan 10 2011, 10:51pm

Post #3 of 25 (573 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently, its just been completed, at least by Deadline. The more interesting part to me was this:
"According to sources, others who appeared in The Lord of the Rings poised to return at this point include Ian McKellen (who's still working out a deal to return as Gandalf in a major role), Christopher Lee is in talks to reprise the wizard Saruman, and Ian Holm to return as an older version of Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman is playing that title role in the two new movies)."

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 10 2011, 10:54pm

Post #4 of 25 (535 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised that didn't get mentioned in the news story.

Still, cool if they can work something out with Lee.

(This post was edited by duats on Jan 10 2011, 10:55pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 10 2011, 10:57pm

Post #5 of 25 (534 views)
Shortcut
Yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I found those two the most interesting part of the article as well, as Andy Serkis has to be almost a foregone conclusion.

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 10 2011, 11:26pm

Post #6 of 25 (486 views)
Shortcut
Phew! [In reply to] Can't Post

Waiting for this announcement has really been stressing me out! Can't wait to hear final confirmation on all the reprising roles!

Also, *first post dance* !!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2011, 11:38pm

Post #7 of 25 (556 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm and Christopher Lee... Good news (in more ways than one) [In reply to] Can't Post

This news is awesome. I hope it's true. Andy has always seemed like a foregone conclusion, but it's nice to know that he is almost locked up.

Ian McKellen is the most important announcement to me at this point. He IS Gandalf for this era of films. I really don't think that Peter Jackson and Co. have come this far and hung on for this long only to see WB say... "Meh, Gandalf's replaceable." Especially, if they are bringing back Ian Holm, Andy Serkis, Elijah Wood, and Cate Blanchett. While Ian McKellen would seem a foregone conclusion as well it would be nice to have that particular deal DONE.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 11 2011, 12:52am

Post #8 of 25 (472 views)
Shortcut
Thrilled to see this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy is a greatly under-appreciated actor due to the nature of his mo-cap characters. His work on LOTR & Kong is absolutely fantastic, and it's great news to hear he will be reprising his role as Gollum.

Elentari03
Rivendell

Jan 11 2011, 1:26am

Post #9 of 25 (469 views)
Shortcut
Good news. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile It is hard to imagine anyone else as Gollum. Serkis was fantastic.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2011, 4:32am

Post #10 of 25 (406 views)
Shortcut
I always thought they could accomodate Lee if they shot [In reply to] Can't Post

in England....we will see if that is the case. And also with Ian Holm.....many of us could see him in a scene recalling his adventure. Great news all around.

StarElf
Rohan

Jan 11 2011, 6:27am

Post #11 of 25 (373 views)
Shortcut
Andy Serkis is the only person I 100% trust to play Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

He did such a fantastic job in LotR, it would be a crying shame not to see him in TH. (So to speak, anyway!)

Was the world being born what called me...?
At the bottom of the deep sea, I could hear a voice.

(This post was edited by StarElf on Jan 11 2011, 6:27am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11 2011, 6:34am

Post #12 of 25 (359 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn alienorchid :o) [In reply to] Can't Post

Your first post dance comes at the right time. With the returning cast announcements it's almost like a party with old friends. Have fun! WinkCool

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 11 2011, 7:56am

Post #13 of 25 (314 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back Andy:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Cant imagine anyone who could play it so well

Patty
Immortal

Jan 11 2011, 8:16am

Post #14 of 25 (336 views)
Shortcut
Can I be any more over the moon about this? [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I don't think I can.

Tell PJ I am officially hyped.

And on McKellan's site he muses and poses the question whether or not anyone would really care if he didn't return as Gandalf--to which I say here (since I don't have a facebook account and can't post to him) "Don't kid yourself, Gandy--there IS no other Gandalf but you!"

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 11 2011, 8:36am

Post #15 of 25 (310 views)
Shortcut
I felt the same..... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when I read that on Ian McKellen's site. I wish there was a way of replying to him, "Of course people care - no one else could be Gandalf but you!"

Bran
Lorien

Jan 11 2011, 10:08am

Post #16 of 25 (309 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

if it would have been possible to create a convincing, consistent Gollum without Serkis. Whilst, theoretically, it may have been possible to replace other actors without making it jar too much, the work Serkis did face and voice, in helipng Weta design Gollum - I'm not sure it could have been repeated with another actor without standing out as different to a great degree.

Mawr yw ein braint i berthyn i'r gwm Llynfi

maut
Rivendell

Jan 11 2011, 10:08am

Post #17 of 25 (297 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian Holm! I love the idea to see him again as he IS Bilbo. And Lee of course. I cannoot imagine better Saruman. And andy - here is no questions for me.
But what about Hugo Weaving? No news from him?

Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away ere break of day

To seek the pale enchanted gold.

Vangalad
Lorien

Jan 11 2011, 12:55pm

Post #18 of 25 (272 views)
Shortcut
It's official !!! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.variety.com/...18030022?refCatId=13
Yesss preciousss Wink

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Jan 11 2011, 1:01pm

Post #19 of 25 (254 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2011, 6:59pm

Post #20 of 25 (218 views)
Shortcut
It could have been done. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of all the Lord of the Rings actors that are returning, Andy Serkis would have been the easiest to replace – because a new actor wouldn't affect Gollum's appearance in any way. But I am glad he's in negotiations.

Bran
Lorien

Jan 11 2011, 7:05pm

Post #21 of 25 (204 views)
Shortcut
I disagree entirely [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only is Gollum's face and mannerisms based on Serkis (presumably they'd have to use the new actors face), but the voice would be immediately recognisable if it wasn't Serkis. If you see the way Serkis contorts his face in the appendices, contortions which the animators found essential to their work, I think they would really struggle to make Gollum the same, as another actor may not be able to mimic it.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 11 2011, 7:16pm

Post #22 of 25 (202 views)
Shortcut
That's not necessarily so [In reply to] Can't Post

If Serkis declined to reprise (or was unable to return for some other reason), that would not have stopped the filmmakers from using his likeness. If his likeness (the CG Gollum model based on him) had been used with a different actor providing the voicework and motion-capture, the new Gollum could still have looked exactly like the Serkis one. And Gollum's facial contortions were added by the animators, not provided by Serkis (as far as I can recall).

Finding an actor (or actors) to mimic Serkis's movements and voice would be difficult, but it would not be possible. I'm sure there are some very good Gollum impersonators out there. I think my own second choice for the role would have been Doug Jones, who is very good at acting through prosthetics or mo-cap.

I must emphasise that I did not say that Gollum could have been recast easily. But I do believe that he could have been recast more easily than Gandalf, Elrond, Saruman, Galadriel, and so on. A recast live-action character looks noticeable different. A recast animated character needn't look different at all. That is my only point.

Bran
Lorien

Jan 11 2011, 7:27pm

Post #23 of 25 (199 views)
Shortcut
You may be right, Flagg [In reply to] Can't Post

but my recollection from the EE appendices as that the animators copied almost exactly what Serkis did with his face. I'm not saying another actor couldn't do it, but I get the distinct impression from the DVD that Serkis was very, very important in that process.

Anyway, no need to worry now!

Ruijor
Rohan

Jan 11 2011, 8:39pm

Post #24 of 25 (162 views)
Shortcut
I said it before and I´ll say it once more... [In reply to] Can't Post

EPIC CAST! Cool

Now let´s wait and pray for Weaving´s annoucement...

maut
Rivendell

Jan 11 2011, 9:18pm

Post #25 of 25 (232 views)
Shortcut
That's the point [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
EPIC CAST! Cool

Now let´s wait and pray for Weaving´s annoucement...

I hope he will reprise his role though I didn't like him much but still I'd prefer him to be Elond more than anyone else.

Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away ere break of day

To seek the pale enchanted gold.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.