The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Thursday Movie Trivia!

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 22 2007, 4:33pm

Post #1 of 24 (9844 views)
Shortcut
Thursday Movie Trivia! Can't Post

Well, I must say that "most" of you are pretty smart and can count, too, as there were lots of right answers on Wednesday. Let's see how you do today!

Your Questions of the Day:

1. Who does Gandalf call an old rascal?

2. What creature blows the horn as Frodo and Sam watch the Black Gate open?

3. What kind of pipe-weed does Merry say he'd give anything for a whiff of in Fangorn?

4. Where does Eomer take the badly wounded Theodred?

5. Where on the Balrog's body does Gandalf make a first strike with his weapon?

6. What battle in the The Two Towers does Barrie Osborne make a cameo appearance in?

I'll post one more set of questions on Friday, and then the answers and scorecard of how everyone ranks on Saturday.

BONUS ROUND:

I was playing around with the spellchecker, and while it is much improved from our old Board one, it seems it has a few glitches. For example, here are the spellings it gave me as possible alternatives for the name "Theodred":

Tattered
Tottered
Tatered
Twittered
Tutored

Questions:

1. Which of those names did the spellchecker miss, which meant I had to add it manually?

2. What alternative way(s) to spell Theodred is missing from "your "list, when you spellcheck his name? Post your answers here so we can inform the Admins right away!

A few of you need some "extra" points, so here is your chance to catch up -- have fun!

Weaver

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 4:52pm

Post #2 of 24 (9190 views)
Shortcut
Here's to make up my score then! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo?

An orc

3. What kind of pipe-weed does Merry say he'd give anything for a whiff of in Fangorn?
Old Toby

To Meduseld

on its chest.

6. What battle in the The Two Towers does Barrie Osborne make a cameo appearance in?
Helms Deep

2. Theorem is an alternative on my MS word spellchecker... Ironically it spots Theoden, complete with acute accent on the e!

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 22 2007, 5:27pm

Post #3 of 24 (9214 views)
Shortcut
my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo?
2. an orc?
3. Old Toby
4. Edoras, and the golden hall of Meduseld
5. its chest?
6. Helm's Deep

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 5:30pm

Post #4 of 24 (9180 views)
Shortcut
try this set of 6...3....2.....um, I cant count today!!!! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo

Orc Guard or overseer

Old Toby or Longbottom leaf - think it was Old Toby, though.

Meduseld

(nearly caught me out!!) Chest

Helms Deep

I'll post one more set of questions on Friday, and then the answers and scorecard of how everyone ranks on Saturday.

BONUS ROUND:

I was playing around with the spellchecker, and while it is much improved from our old Board one, it seems it has a few glitches. For example, here are the spellings it gave me as possible alternatives for the name "Theodred":

Tattered
Tottered
Tatered
Twittered
Tutored

Questions:

1. Which of those names did the spellchecker miss, which meant I had to add it manually?

Well (on mine it was already there) and that is Theoden (complete with accent on the e!)

2. What alternative way(s) to spell Theodred is missing from "your "list, when you spellcheck his name? Post your answers here so we can inform the Admins right away!

-e_H-

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 5:32pm

Post #5 of 24 (9197 views)
Shortcut
a partial answer... I'll be back later. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, I must say that "most" of you are pretty smart and can count, too, as there were lots of right answers on Wednesday. Let's see how you do today!

Your Questions of the Day:

Bilbo?

It's a troll... please tell me I don't need to know what kind... I know someone will know what kind... I know a soundtrack friend named it and for some reason I've got Olog-hai (or some similar spelling) in my head.

Bilbo talks about Old Toby... am trying to hear Merry's voice or notice the barrels. I'm going to come back to this question later.

Back to Meduseld.

ummm... on the breast?

I'm guessing Helm's Deep.

BONUS ROUND:

Tattered
Tottered
Tatered
Twittered
Tutored

Questions:

'those names'... indefinite pronouns.. the bane of my life. By 'those names' do you mean the names from your question list... I thought so at first and answered like this:

I'm not sure I follow you. I wou

ld assume quite a few names would show up as incorrect... but you would have already typed them and so I don't understand 'add manually'... unless you're talking about the very correct spelling that would include accents. But you didn't use any accents so that would mean you didn't 'add them manually'. (I always angst over what the instructor is actually asking... )
If you want the names the spellchecker wouldn'r recognize I'll say:
  • Gandalf
  • Frodo
  • pipe-weed
  • Fangorn
  • Eomer
  • Theodred
  • Balrog's
depending on the spell checker... it might recognize both Barrie and Osborne.
If you're talking about adding your own accents then the answer would be
  • Eomer / Éomer
  • Theodred / Théodred

But then I ran spell check and realized one of 'the names' in the alternate possibilites for Theodred was incorrectly spelled so now I think you wanted me to find that word (which was tatered) which you added manually to that particular list. See, it makes sense when one knows the intention.

Théodred (I think this is what you're looking for...)

A few of you need some "extra" points, so here is your chance to catch up -- have fun!

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 22 2007, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 24 (9207 views)
Shortcut
The "bonus round" idea was intended to be humorous! [In reply to] Can't Post

"It was just a bit of fun"! Honest!

There is NOTHING wrong with the spellchecker -- it's actually a really GREAT thing to have!

I should have known better than to poke fun at it, though, in a "test out" week here for the new boards.

I just thought the "names" it came up with as alternative for "Theodred" (i.e., "Twittered") were pretty funny. I added one of my own, and then wanted to see what other ones the comedians around here could suggest.

Don't take this one too seriously, folks!

Weaver

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 6:33pm

Post #7 of 24 (9201 views)
Shortcut
Tough ones! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Who does Gandalf call an old rascal? That would be Bilbo, but not to his face - he calls him that when he's talking to Frodo in the cart.

2. What creature blows the horn as Frodo and Sam watch the Black Gate open? I think it's a troll. Not a cave troll - a gate troll? A horn troll?

3. What kind of pipe-weed does Merry say he'd give anything for a whiff of in Fangorn? Old Toby (the best pipeweed in the South Farthing, according to that old rascal Bilbo)

4. Where does Eomer take the badly wounded Theodred? To the Golden Hall of Meduseld

5. Where on the Balrog's body does Gandalf make a first strike with his weapon? Hmm, never noticed. Unless it's referring to the fight at the start of TTT, I think he starts with a blow to the head there.

6. What battle in the The Two Towers does Barrie Osborne make a cameo appearance in? I never heard about this one. But there's only one battle in The Two Towers, surely?

BONUS ROUND:

Tattered
Tottered
Tatered
Twittered
Tutored

Questions:

1. Which of those names did the spellchecker miss, which meant I had to add it manually? Tatered for sure. You made that up yourself, didn't you? Wink I guess you're "tatered" out after dining with the Gamgees...

2. What alternative way(s) to spell Theodred is missing from "your "list, when you spellcheck his name? Post your answers here so we can inform the Admins right away! How about: Thundered; TheOneRing; The Red

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 7:07pm

Post #8 of 24 (9174 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't find a spelling mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

you done good with your manual typing.

Radagast for sending a moth instead of an eagle. Listen closely at the scene and you'll see, um, hear I'm right.

I can'tanswer this one, family board.

The smoking kind

To his deathbed scene but he didn't get to make his deathbed speech.

A tickle under the wings that makes the balrog spread them and bare his chest for the wound to the heart. These were kindred spirits in a former incarnation.

I'm guessing there were lots of battles he was present in but only one caught on film, the battle of the night shoot.

bonus question 2: Theo dead.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

teddiwen
The Shire

Feb 22 2007, 7:33pm

Post #9 of 24 (9191 views)
Shortcut
weeeeeee [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo

An orc

I thought Pippin says "A whiff of Old Toby"

Medulseld (the golden hall), Edoras

His chest

no clue but I'll guess the Warg Battle scene

teddi
~Old Toby Productions

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 7:51pm

Post #10 of 24 (9185 views)
Shortcut
Wheee! Here it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo
2. Troll
3. Old Toby
4. Edoras
5. Hmm. Arm?
6. Gee, how many battles are there in TTT? Helm's Deep
Bonus: 1. Barrie
2. It got the same ones you listed except "Tatered"

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 7:54pm

Post #11 of 24 (9144 views)
Shortcut
Ack! I was soooo hoping for bonus points!!! /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 9:26pm

Post #12 of 24 (9155 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo

It's sometimes hard to tell one creature from another (kind) but he looked like an orc to me.

Old Toby (sadly, that was the name of a dog we once had)

Back home to Edoras

Think it was a direct down-cut to the chest

Has to be Helm's Deep, unless he was disguised as a warg.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Menelwyn
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 9:32pm

Post #13 of 24 (9150 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Who does Gandalf call an old rascal? Bilbo

2. What creature blows the horn as Frodo and Sam watch the Black Gate open? an orc

3. What kind of pipe-weed does Merry say he'd give anything for a whiff of in Fangorn? Merry doesn't say anything about that; Pippin wishes for Old Toby

4. Where does Eomer take the badly wounded Theodred? Edoras (Meduseld)

5. Where on the Balrog's body does Gandalf make a first strike with his weapon? chest

6. What battle in the The Two Towers does Barrie Osborne make a cameo appearance in? Helm's Deep

Kethry
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 9:51pm

Post #14 of 24 (9192 views)
Shortcut
Lookie! I'm taking Thursday's test on Thursday! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's rather a change for me.

1. Who does Gandalf call an old rascal? Bilbo

2. What creature blows the horn as Frodo and Sam watch the
Black Gate open?
a Troll

3. What kind of pipe-weed does Merry say he'd give anything for a whiff of in Fangorn? Old Toby

4. Where does Eomer take the badly wounded Theodred? to Edoras, to Meduseld, to Theodred's room. I'm just trying to be specific, because I don't know quite what the card is looking for.

5. Where on the Balrog's body does Gandalf make a first strike with his weapon? hmm, his chest?

6. What battle in the The Two Towers does Barrie Osborne make a cameo appearance in? He had a cameo? I didn't know that. Where? Oh right, I'm supposed to answer that. Helm's Deep seems like the obvious choice, but I choose the defense of Osgiliath.

"You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about - the more you have left when anything happens." ~ Ethel Barrymore

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 10:07pm

Post #15 of 24 (9180 views)
Shortcut
I'm back... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I still can't make that elusive name floating in my head come to roost. So, even though I don't think it's Old Toby, I'll give that an answer rather than leave it blank. (This is the sort of a test where a wrong answer doesn't count against us, isn't it? *laughs* yes... I drove my teachers nuts.)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 10:11pm

Post #16 of 24 (9180 views)
Shortcut
Doh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't read well enough. I missed this whole phrase, "blows the horn". I jumped right from creature to Black Gate....

It's a troll... please tell me I don't need to know what kind... I know someone will know what kind... I know a soundtrack friend named it and for some reason I've got Olog-hai (or some similar spelling) in my head.

But I did name the troll that was at the Black Gate as an Olog hai so perhaps I could earn some extra credit? *pleading, hopeful look*

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 10:13pm

Post #17 of 24 (9146 views)
Shortcut
OH... I'm not taking it seriously at all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just love indulging in my obsessive need for perfection and driving people nuts with it... You're all meant to roll your eyes and laugh. ;^)

~LANCELOT~
The Shire

Feb 22 2007, 10:17pm

Post #18 of 24 (9155 views)
Shortcut
Me Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo Baggins
2. An Orc
3. Old Toby
4. Meduseld
5. Chest
6. Helms Deep

White shores, and beyond, a far green country, under a swift sunrise...

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 22 2007, 10:36pm

Post #19 of 24 (9142 views)
Shortcut
Hope you get a bonus point [In reply to] Can't Post

for being the only person so far (assuming I've not missed anyone) who's noticed that it's Pippin who wishes for Old Toby, not Merry. Now you mention it, I can say I knew that too, but it just didn't register. How embarrassing, still not being able to keep Merry and Pippin straight after all this time! Blush

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2007, 10:40pm

Post #20 of 24 (9219 views)
Shortcut
You know, these quizzes are killing my computer... [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason, weaver, your quizzes (and only your quizzes) shut down my browser whenever I try to reply or copy the questions. If I didn't know better, I'd say you're a virus in disguise.Tongue

Bilbo

An orc.

Longbottom Leaf.

Home, to Golden Hall in Edoras.

The back of his head.

I thought he was Return of the King? Helm's deep?

Too annoyed for spell-schecking... I'll take my bad score for what it's worth.

ringhead91
Rivendell

Feb 23 2007, 2:10am

Post #21 of 24 (9144 views)
Shortcut
my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

an orc
Old Toby, aka Longbottom Leaf
Edoras
his back
the battle at Helm's Deep

BONUS ROUND:

Tattered
Tottered
Tatered
Twittered
Tutored
Questions:

Tatered
2. What alternative way(s) to spell Theodred is missing from "your "list, when you spellcheck his name?
Tatered

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 3:24am

Post #22 of 24 (9136 views)
Shortcut
Alrighty.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo

An orc

The southfarthing pipe weed

Back to Edoras

His horn

Battle at Helm's Deep

The more questions I answer the more I realize how long it's been since I saw any of the films. My mind is fading. Eeep.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 23 2007, 5:11pm

Post #23 of 24 (9156 views)
Shortcut
I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! [In reply to] Can't Post

More guesses.....

Gollum?

A troll.

South Farthing?

Edoras.

His ... chest? Maybe I should start a discussion, "Do Balrogs have chests?"

Helm's Deep?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2007, 1:43am

Post #24 of 24 (9701 views)
Shortcut
Questions ... questions that need answering... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well if it was book Gandalf I'd say Radaghast. But movie Gandalf? I'm stumped.

A troll.

Longbottom Leaf.

To Theodred's bedroom in Meduseld.

His chest?

Helm's Deep.

BONUS ROUND:

Tattered
Tottered
Tatered
Twittered
Tutored

Questions:

Eomer.

We use spellcheckers?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.