Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien reference needed

Auraran
Lorien

Jan 8 2011, 5:28am

Views: 491
Shortcut
Tolkien reference needed Can't Post

Does anyone know where this Tolkien quote is from – if it is indeed an actual quote?

"We were all Orcs in the Great War."

I've run across it on all the major sites (including Wikipedia) that give definitions of orcs, but the only reference given is "citation needed" which of course, is no reference at all. I was under the impression that it was from The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, but it's not there. I checked the index under "orcs used figuratively," and there are quotes on pages 64, 78, 82, 111, and 246 – comparing humans to orcs – but none of them are the quote in question.

It certainly sounds like a quote from one of his letters. Does anyone know – if it's indeed a legitimate quote – where it's from?

Subject User Time
Tolkien reference needed Auraran Send a private message to Auraran Jan 8 2011, 5:28am
    I'm extremely suspicious. Curious Send a private message to Curious Jan 8 2011, 12:00pm
        Not quite all the major sites Auraran Send a private message to Auraran Jan 8 2011, 5:02pm
    I've never seen that quote before squire Send a private message to squire Jan 8 2011, 2:49pm
        Orcs as Germans? Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Jan 8 2011, 5:00pm
            Tolkien: "monsters, trolls, giants = barbarity = Germans" (1915). N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jan 8 2011, 9:46pm
                Yes, but that's not about the orcs, exactly squire Send a private message to squire Jan 8 2011, 10:10pm
                Garth addresses that too Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Jan 8 2011, 10:26pm
        Thanks for your comments Auraran Send a private message to Auraran Jan 8 2011, 5:14pm
    Well Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jan 8 2011, 3:42pm
        You searched for years? Auraran Send a private message to Auraran Jan 8 2011, 5:05pm
    I bow to the scholars, but a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Jan 8 2011, 5:23pm
        Yes, that's what I thought of too Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Jan 12 2011, 4:18pm
    I was glad to see FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Jan 8 2011, 8:02pm
    On the subject of Tolkien "quotes" dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jan 8 2011, 10:52pm
        Again, I'm suspicious because I cannot find any citations. Curious Send a private message to Curious Jan 9 2011, 1:04pm
        yeah, I couldn't find a source for that one either acheron Send a private message to acheron Jan 12 2011, 6:03pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.