Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Elijah Wood will be in 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Bound
Rohan

Jan 7 2011, 11:39pm

Post #226 of 379 (32613 views)
Shortcut
Honesty the best policy.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, he never seems to BS at all.

But to be honest I've seen other actors that seem very honest and yet in not egotastic.

But hey I'm not turning this into a I HATE SEAN ASTIN thread... It's all good... Peace and love !!!

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

carrioncrow
Lorien

Jan 7 2011, 11:40pm

Post #227 of 379 (32709 views)
Shortcut
Elijah Wood 10 years on [In reply to] Can't Post

I know there's alot of talk about Woods' "perpetually youthful" appearance...but it is nearly a decade on since principal photography of LOTR and he may not be so convincing back in the ole wig & feet....and before someone suggests "but CGI...", let me remind you we're (reportedly) talking about a narrator. If the creative minds on this movie ( THE HOBBIT let us not forget) are wasting time and money on making Frodo Baggins look 10 years younger, this project is shaping up as a (hopefully at least hilarious) fiasco.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jan 7 2011, 11:45pm

Post #228 of 379 (34567 views)
Shortcut
So Frodo will probably end film 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

He'll close the red book and say "And that's the end of that chapter... We'll have to wait a while to get the rest of Bilbo's adventure as I'm too tired for today now who's up for some Longbottom leaf?"
"ME!" says Sam.
"I am!" says Pippin.
"Right here!" says Merry.

Roll credits

...or something like that.

Bran
Lorien

Jan 7 2011, 11:53pm

Post #229 of 379 (33322 views)
Shortcut
Bringing back cast members [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly don't see it as 'bringing back cast members'. Many of these characters existed at the time of the Hobbit, and the rest were born and grew up before LOTR. The two hobbit films will, I guess, be 6 hours or so in Theatrical versions, maybe 7 hours in EE. If Legolas gets a minute or two, a boy Estel at Rivendell, a flash of Balin at Moria, even a young Gimli, it would hardly detract from the vast bulk of the Hobbit at all, and could set up FOTR very nicely when watching the films as a set.

Mawr yw ein braint i berthyn i'r gwm Llynfi

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 11:56pm

Post #230 of 379 (34917 views)
Shortcut
I love Sean [In reply to] Can't Post

to peices too, but I have to admit, I DID read his book, and I have to give him credit for not holding back and including stories of things he said that offended several people and for which he later repented. For instance, he came out in the press and was angry at Peter and Fran for the take of the famous Mount Doom sequence that made it to the screen. Peter did about 30 takes of the "Do you remember the Shire?" scene (OH GOD I still tear up just thinking of this), and Sean and Elijah got better and better as it went on. According to Sean, his best work, where he was the most emotional, was in the closing takes, but Peter ended up putting something around Take 15 in the final version, and Sean thought it wasn't good enough, he was po'd about it and splashed it all over the media. (Hard to believe that Sean could have been any better than THAT, remembering that scene, and I've always been curious ever since to be able to see Take 30...but the way I see it is, Peter wanted more of the "even as hope seemed to die in Sam, a new strength rose up in him, as if he were steel that could not bend or break" or however that phrase went, and he wanted to evoke that "sam finding new reserves of strength and defiance" look rather than a weepy and emotional Sam.
But for Sean it was a cop-out I suppose. For the life of me, after he experienced the audience reaction to that scene, I don't know what in heck he had to complainb about. Planet Earth was pretty much reduced to a puddle of mush by that scene, and it has become famous in modern film.

Then again, didn't he admit he was bipolar? Suppose it explains "I SO wanted to be up there!" (Oscars stage).

You have to remember too, that Sean more than any one of them, is a total creature of Hollywood. His parents wrre Hollywood royalty, and from an early age he was active in the biz. Most child actors who are in high-profile by the age of 10 end up screwed up in some way. On drugs, with busted relatiohips or whatever. I think considering all went through Sean turned out relatively well. GOing to an elite school for Hollywood progeny can't have helped matters either. Its a screwed up place. (Hollywood, not LA< I mean...sorry Ainu!)

Parts of the book shocked me, but he's past all that now. Nobody's perfect, and I forgive Sean his flaws.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jan 8 2011, 12:03am)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 11:59pm

Post #231 of 379 (52680 views)
Shortcut
Except that, of all of those... [In reply to] Can't Post

the only one that could be a "returning cast member" is Orlando Bloom.

Obviously Viggo Mortensen can't play a 10-year-old boy (at least, not convincingly), and I don't see John Rhys-Davies as a young dwarf, either.

Did they show Balin at Moria in LOTR? I don't remember.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

carrioncrow
Lorien

Jan 8 2011, 12:03am

Post #232 of 379 (38027 views)
Shortcut
for what its worth [In reply to] Can't Post

here is a rough outline of what i had in mind from over a year ago:

A Hobbit, Master Samwise Gamgee (a respectable 102 years old), stands alone with the aid of a walking stick in contemplation in what appears to be a beautiful well tended garden in the midst of the glade where Frodo first appears in Peter Jackson’s FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. (It is, in truth, now the gravesite of Sam’s wife, Rose Gamgee)

CUT TO: A few more scenes of morning in Hobbiton.

CUT TO: A "well-to-do" Hobbit is shown tidying up on the doorstep of Bag End and preparing to settle down and enjoy a "pipe of tobacco out of doors". This hobbit is Samwise Gamgee, Master of Bag End. His morning regimen is disrupted by an intrusion...several of his own grandchildren (including a young Holfast Gardner) and other children from the holes of the Lower Hill. Up to mischief or actually seeking Samwise for entertainment…a tale is called for…"Frodo of the Nine-Fingers"…no…here on the doorstep of Bag End on this morning it is the Tale of Bilbo and
"The Road going ever on and on…" that Sam has in mind. Sam sits down with the children all around and begins the tale of Bilbo’s adventure with Gandalf and the Quest for Erebor…

The events of THE HOBBIT – CHAPTER 1 "An Unexpected Party" – PAGES 11-36

events of THE HOBBIT – CHAPTER 2 "Roast Mutton"– PAGES 37-43 up to the point where Bilbo steps into the firelight of the three trolls…"
and this is what he saw…" One of the trolls turns from the fire to face Bilbo. It is a terrible creature just as full of menace as those trolls portrayed in Moria or the Black Gate of Peter Jackson’s LOTR…

CUT TO: A trembling hobbit child (Holfast Gardner?). The story has become a bit too intense for the young hobbit. Sam interrupts the tale to speak a word of comfort, pauses to consider…The story resumes, but now in a gentler (strictly PG-rated) tone more reminiscent of JRRT’s original HOBBIT as written. The tone of the Film will only slowly build back to the PG-13 intensity of Jackson’s LOTR films.

FADE BACK: The story picks up again at the trolls’ camp. They are still threatening creatures, but now with intelligible speech and a slightly comic aspect to their character. Proceed with the story:

THE HOBBIT – PAGES 44-106

Sam’s presence as "THE NARRATOR" will be keenly felt from the point Bilbo finds the ring until Bilbo is reunited with the dwarves on the Mountain side. Perhaps we’ll hear the children shout out the answer to the riddles…

proceed with THE HOBBIT – CHAPTER 6 – PAGES 107-

CUT TO: Sam looking into the eyes of the hobbit children. "…
Going on from there was the bravest thing Bilbo ever did. The tremendous things that happened afterwards were as nothing compared to it. He fought the real battle in that tunnel alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait…" Sam pauses and looks into the eyes of young Holfast. Holfast sets his jaw and nods deliberately as if to say "Yes. Go on." At this point the tone of the film has returned to the PG-13 level and intensity of Peter Jackson’s LOTR films. The image of Bilbo walking down the dark tunnel toward the light and heat of the dragon’s lair draws obvious parallels to Sam’s own experience at Mount Doom.

FADE TO: THE HOBBIT – CHAPTER 12 – PAGES 227-
Gandalf, Balin and Bilbo settle down with their evening pipes outside the doorstep of Bag End.

FADE TO: Sam and the children sitting on the very same doorstep all those years later. It has changed little. It is now evening for Sam and the children as well. He finishes the tale and sends the children off to home and bed. Some reside at Bag End. Sam takes a moment alone to look at the stars. He recites a bit of his own poetry. As a few of the children enter the front hall of Bag End, Elanor (Sam’s eldest daughter) steps outside. She brings a satchel and Sam’s Elvish cloak. He has a moment with his daughter. A company of Elves comes around the hill on their way west to the sea. Sam has been expecting them. He heads off to join them with walking stick in hand.

THE END

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 8 2011, 12:06am

Post #233 of 379 (41737 views)
Shortcut
Are you kidding? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where would Peter be without his beloved slo-mo? It's like Guillermo's tentacles.Sly

(EDIT: I relaize how that sounds..oh GOD. Let me just say that those of you who are familar with Guillermo's portfolio know what I mean..it's like someone getting stabbed in every Jackson film.)

Ah, not knocking ya Peter. At least not yet. <g>. Sometimes that slo-mo made me cry.

I hope the threads get better--I can't wait for the Sir Ian confirmation thread myself.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jan 8 2011, 12:15am)

Bran
Lorien

Jan 8 2011, 12:08am

Post #234 of 379 (37128 views)
Shortcut
Well yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But I did say 'before the time of LOTR' as well, and we don't know that that time period will categorically be excluded from these films.

The point I was making, though, is that there is nothing intrinsically wrong, imo, with using characters from LOTR in these prequels - Tolkien gives us immense detail on their whereabouts. Whether we see the same actor, or the character as a child with a different actor, it still serves the prupose of introducing the character into the five movies.

The only thing I would object to, as I said earlier, is if the character is shown with a major difference in story.

Mawr yw ein braint i berthyn i'r gwm Llynfi

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 8 2011, 12:08am

Post #235 of 379 (35072 views)
Shortcut
Sean Astin [In reply to] Can't Post

While I thought he was the coolest of the hobbits behind the scenes, for instance that "safety sam" part with helicopters was a lot of fun, I have also heard that his book is whiney. I have to read it myself though to form a better opinion.

But he'll always be Sam to me Smile

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

The Party Tree
Lorien

Jan 8 2011, 12:15am

Post #236 of 379 (34565 views)
Shortcut
This is a charming idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although it reminded me of the unfortunate fact that The Return of the King film didn't end with Sam living in Bag End.

But aside from that, I think that some way of bringing in those wonderful narrative lines that otherwise might not make it into the movie would be great, whichever hobbit they choose in order to do it.

(This post was edited by The Party Tree on Jan 8 2011, 12:16am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 8 2011, 12:23am

Post #237 of 379 (33437 views)
Shortcut
The thought of being responsible makes me queasy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can picture being stoned by frenzied fans of the book. I would probably join in. (Kangi hit himself in the head with a large stone.)

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 8 2011, 12:29am

Post #238 of 379 (35319 views)
Shortcut
I've always wonderd about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember the end of LOTR or appendices on this...but in the book, Sam does not live in Bag End? I know he did the first couple of years after his marriage, Frodo says "There's as much room in Bag End for as big a family as you'd wish for" and Sam does move in. But after Frodo departs?

He can certainly afford to keep Bag End, I imagined he returned well recompensed from Gondor. Did Sam's giving up Bag End come from his regret over losing Frodo--hard to stay in a place that reminds of of your best friend who "died"--or was it just good politics on the part of the Mayor of the Shire--hobbits can be tetchy about those who "returned from living in foreign parts" and it makes good political sense for Master Samwise to love to humbler dwellings? Or did he think Bag End was cursed...Hey I don't admit toknowing as much as you guys do.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jan 8 2011, 12:30am)

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 8 2011, 12:31am

Post #239 of 379 (33761 views)
Shortcut
Only Balin's tomb was shown // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 8 2011, 12:31am

Post #240 of 379 (33213 views)
Shortcut
Lee did several Dracula & vampire films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Frank Langella
Dracula (1979)

Photobucket

The Party Tree
Lorien

Jan 8 2011, 12:37am

Post #241 of 379 (33487 views)
Shortcut
Sam inherits Bag End and stays there in the book, but they must have just abandoned that whole idea in the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

They must have left that out of the movie for pacing reasons, but I honestly don't think it would have been that difficult to incorporate it. So I'm not sure what the movie-verse explanation is for him not living there (if there is one).

(This post was edited by The Party Tree on Jan 8 2011, 12:39am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 8 2011, 12:37am

Post #242 of 379 (47190 views)
Shortcut
Wrong target [In reply to] Can't Post

you, Kangi and I are united in our outrage at the notion that any future book by GDT could be as whinny as Sean Astin's book (which I admit to only have skimmed at a local bookstore). Laugh

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 8 2011, 12:38am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 8 2011, 12:41am

Post #243 of 379 (35268 views)
Shortcut
Not really [In reply to] Can't Post

as much as I like PJ's films so far, his signature techniques (which between us we outlined fully) have been over done.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 8 2011, 12:56am

Post #244 of 379 (34951 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, I have never been to France. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I LOVE French Fries (Even if they were not invented in France). As to the Camera...that would be a hard one to fence. I am sure each one is heavily documented.

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 8 2011, 1:38am

Post #245 of 379 (35355 views)
Shortcut
I found the letter. I thought I had deleted it but It got saved on disk when I backed up My Doccuments [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Jackson,
I have been impressed with your work and especially enjoy your off tilt dark sense of humor.
Your postings on the Kong is King web site are fun and remarkably informative. I am 56 years of age and recall King Kong as one of my earliest TV experiences. I watched most of it from behind the couch. The Dino remake was a disappointment to say the least. I am looking forward to The King’s release.
I am also looking forward to what hopefully will come beyond. I am referring to the possible production of the Hobbit as a sequel to LOTR.
I am and have been a serious scholar involved in the study of Tolkein’s work since 1973. I will say up front that I enjoyed your version of the myth immensely. Every single person that worked on that project deserves congratulations and well done.
I recently attended the Fiftieth Anniversary Conference at Marquette University , Milwaukee WI, USA and became involved in discussions with several of the leading writer/experts on Tolkein’s work. There were a number of people there who had found their first taste of the Professor’s work in your work. There was a bit of mostly unspoken animosity toward these “movie people”. I approached a couple of the presenters during breaks and questioned them about their response to the films. I did this as by introducing myself as a “book & movie person. I detected a good deal of resentment in the responses I received.
“It’s a boy’s action adventure movie.” One man said. I pointed out that I had been involved with those fans that loved the films and that by far this group was made up disproportionately of women. His response was something to the effect that it was just a response to the “Hunks” cast in the leading roles. I actually laughed. These women are mostly in the age range of 30 to 60. Some had read the books, some had not: all of them are. He did not want to talk after that.
Some of the scholars fear that the popularization will diminish the stature of LOTR as literature. Some appear to be a bit possessive and don’t want to share. Others riled against “unnecessary’ story changes that were made by the films. I spoke on behalf of the idea that, as the storyteller you gave your version of the myth, and it was not necessary to judge one against the other but to appreciate each for what it was. I truly thank you for the years of your life that you put into this film.
Last but not least I am writing to share an insight that you may or may not take to heart. It involves an Idea about a possible structure for the script” The Hobbit” as a sequel for LOTR. Please do not run shrieking into the woods. I am sure you get thousands of suggestions both good and bad but please hear me out.
You should maximize the connection to LOTR: this could be done by setting up the body of the story as a flashback. The story could start in the shire at the end of The War of The Ring and be introduced in several possible ways by one or another of the Hobbits. This beginning could incorporate some unshown part of the LOTR story line and include cameos by some or all of the original actors. This action sequence could lead into the Hobbit, which could come back around again to LOTR. I offer this only out a deep feeling of gratitude and strange feeling of kinship. It would be truly remarkable to hear from you, but I consider this letter a message in a bottle.

Yours in Fellowship

P.S. I belong to a chapter of the Tolkien Society here in Minnesota. (Barry Osborne’s home). We are screening the Extended trilogy (got the rights from New Line) on the big screen on New Years Eve for about 1300 of our friends and family. It will be fun. Wish you could be here. It would be a hoot.
Note: I clipped out addresses and I am now 62 so that dates the note. I also put the pertinent text in bold.

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jan 8 2011, 1:41am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2011, 2:03am

Post #246 of 379 (34178 views)
Shortcut
Oh, well, [In reply to] Can't Post

in that you are indeed correct.

I would go so far as to say that 'whiney' is to Guillermo as 'cuddly and loving' is to Gollum.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jan 8 2011, 2:23am

Post #247 of 379 (34122 views)
Shortcut
If you wrote that letter then why are you dissappointed by this news? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 8 2011, 2:32am

Post #248 of 379 (36505 views)
Shortcut
As I said earlier: [In reply to] Can't Post

I have come to the opinion that the book can best be served by an adaption that makes it neither a prequel nor a sequel. I also said that I was ambivalent about the whole thing. It will all depend on how the story is handled. I am of two minds about a lot of things involved in the making of the Hobbit film. It really could go so many ways. I just do not want it to fail for stupid reasons like greed or ego. It will be harder to make great cinema with the play within the play structure, but it is possible.

Photobucket

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2011, 3:39am

Post #249 of 379 (34539 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, I agree completely [In reply to] Can't Post

Hollywood is completely nutty, and LA has it's less-than-savory areas, too!

While I want to enter the industry, there are many reasons why I want to be behind the scenes, not on screen, and I consider myself lucky that I was not born into the industry. It's really a hit or miss with childhood actors, and children born with parents in the industry.

However, I've met enough fans, and enough people in the industry, to know that both are eccentric in many similar ways... which is why I think I'll fit well, if I ever make it ;)

As for Sean, he was always... very blunt. Perhaps less humble than expected by society. But his heart seems to be in the right place, and that is all one can ask for.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

rings7
Rohan

Jan 8 2011, 5:15am

Post #250 of 379 (34246 views)
Shortcut
So [In reply to] Can't Post

basically PJ will do exactly what he's been advised not to do, which is to remind us that the Hobbit is in fact a prequel.

I have a mixed feelings. I don't know. I love the Hobbit. I think we all Tolkien fans and LOTR movies fans don't necessarily need to be reminded what the Hobbit is. Unsure

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.