Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Elijah Wood will be in 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2011, 6:38pm

Post #126 of 379 (33252 views)
Shortcut
That depends [In reply to] Can't Post

Did Bilbo write his memoirs in the third person, beginning with 'In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit'? Or did he write them in the first person, leaving Tolkien (who discovered a copy of the Red Book) to translate his tale and rewrite it as a children's story?

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 6:42pm

Post #127 of 379 (36361 views)
Shortcut
But you forget [In reply to] Can't Post

It's actually 65 years (60 between TH and FOTR, the year of the War of the Ring, and 4 more years after the end of the War, to the last scene in Bag End. Unless they show Frodo reading from the almost-completed Red Book say, 3 after. )

MrCere, does the rumor say we are actually going to SEE Frodo onscreen in the opening scene of TH 1? If we merely hear him doing a voice-over, it presents far less problems. It would b easier for me to accept the occaisional voice-over during TH as well. Then, you are still in the dark about who this mysterious "narrator" is, and the existence of Frodo and the timeframe of the narrative/identity of the Narrator is gradually revealed as the story goes on. (at the beg. of FOTR the future viewer realizes, "Oh, so this is who it is! Frodo, son of Drogo and Primula, and Bilbo adopted him!" --it seems we are going to be seeing the tragic deaths of, or at least a Hobbiton scene of, Drogo and Primula).

This is the Problem: this is all a lot easier to believe if the future viewer is watching the EE's. But if they are watching the Theatricals, this won't make any sense at all. ""60 years later" at the beginning of FOTR, as we see Frodo under the tree? And we've just seen the Prologue which takes you 3000 years back in tim. I remember watching the Prologue in the theater the first time, and if I hadn't known the story well, I imagine that "60 yrs later" would have confuse me at first. 60 yrs after what? Oh, right, 60 yrs after Bilbo finds a ring in a cave. That Prologue was seemingly straightforward but really asked a lot of movie-firsters, I'm thinking. (I'd love to hear reactions from movie-firsters if the Prolgue confused you at all, the first time you saw it?)

You have to remember, that Peter is facing the same problem George Lucas faced with the SW prequels. Fans of now may grouse, but this is really being made for future generations, where they'll sit down and watch the Pentology in order. So if we hear Frodo as a narrator in TH long before we see him onscreen, it would work wonderfully. (Except the theatrical would present some problems--that "60 yrs later" would have to be removed--as well as Ian Holm not looking like Martin in that brief flash-back? forward? scene in the FOTR Prologue --OUCH MY POOR BRAINTongueSmile)--

If WB is pressuring Peter into doing a sort of "Super-Prologue" to tie all this up for the movie-firster, when it really isn;t necessary, we're screwed. They have to have faith that it makes far more sense for the viewer to gradually find out who the narrator is, and the story would flow a lot better. OH God nightmare visions of Dune here*

But if the script calls for the audience to *see* Frodo in the very first scene of The Pentology, this would cause problems. How do you explain this character to the first-time movie-firster of the future? We see a mysterious scene of a hobbit reading a book he is writing in a house we don't know, yet, is Bag End. Is he alone, reading it as he writies it, as we later see Bilbo doing at the beginning of FOTR EE? Maybe that would work--if it's a brief teaser, just to get our curiosity piqued--if we are told nothing, If Frodo tells us nothing. IS Elijah really going to be reading the first pages word for word--"IN the hole in the groumd there lived a Hobbit?" etc. And when Gandlaf appears, he's say, "Gandalf! If you'd half of what I heard" etc.

Will he be reading to Elanor maybe? That would be a problem, since we'd only be able to see the back of Elanor's head, it being a miracle if they could find a 3-yr-old who looks exactly like 3-yr-old Alexandra did. (Although the aspect of the Saga having evolved, as Sam wished it, into a "fireside-tale for young Hobbits" is a charming one, if it is realized on the screen.It was hinted at at the end of TTT< in Sam's speech, just as it was in the book. That would be a nice evolving transition. )

Would we see Sam as well? Increasingly I think that Sean should narrate the darned thing, since "the very last pages were really his." I wish if Peter ever adds anything in the Ultimate Edition, it would be for a middle-aged or older Sean Astin handing the Red Book off to grown-up Alexandra, and hey, his other 2 grown kids, playing Goldilocks and Rosie-lass,etc--that woul be **absolutely enchanting**--I think they'd do it too! --not likely though--but hey a gal can dream can't she?Sly)

(Ok Sunflower, you're going insane. Stop the madness now. LaughLaugh)

Count on us fans to make a mountain out of a mol-hill-or in this case a Hobbit-hill. I'll bet Peter and Co and Guillermo (if he still reads this) are laughing their heads off. This is all probsbly hoo-hah, as HM says, over nothing.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jan 7 2011, 6:49pm)

The Party Tree
Lorien

Jan 7 2011, 6:44pm

Post #128 of 379 (35432 views)
Shortcut
That would be perfect. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought the point of having a narrator at all for TH would be so that this line could start off the movie.

Bound
Rohan

Jan 7 2011, 6:48pm

Post #129 of 379 (34248 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know Geordie seems to be leaving these forums.. and his last comments - if about Elijah Woods seem rather odd. Did you meet him in real life and was rude to you.. is this the origin of your hatred??

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Bran
Lorien

Jan 7 2011, 6:54pm

Post #130 of 379 (37458 views)
Shortcut
Knowledge of the ring [In reply to] Can't Post

Might have a part to play in this.

I suspect the film makers will not want to give away anything about the true nature of the ring in these films. That would potentially spoil the start of FOTR for future film goers unfamiliar with the story.

Doesn't that suggest that Frodo narrating the Hobbit from a time before FOTR makes more sense? When he, himself would not know what the ring was?

Mawr yw ein braint i berthyn i'r gwm Llynfi

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 6:54pm

Post #131 of 379 (52299 views)
Shortcut
I agree, it seemed as a strange comment to make // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 7 2011, 6:57pm

Post #132 of 379 (36093 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! You just gave me an idea for my sig line! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never participated in the great NARF wars of the Fourth Age, but now I can be a NAArP'erLaugh

NAArP since 2011!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2011, 7:02pm

Post #133 of 379 (35577 views)
Shortcut
Both. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see both of those, followed by

U GUYZ ARNT REAL FANS REAL FANS WOUD ARGREE WITH ME I AM THE BIGEST LOTR FAN EVAR I SAW ALL THE MOVIES 3 TIMS!!!!!!!!!!

<Looking through crystal ball>

HOW DARE PJ REMOVE THE TALKING PURSE!!!!

HOW DARE PJ LEAVE IN THE TALKING PURSE!!!

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 7 2011, 7:11pm

Post #134 of 379 (49839 views)
Shortcut
Who knows? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be good to begin that way too, but if there's to be some sort of prologue-ey Frodo-reads-book opening then there is, and we might as well make the best of it for now - at least, that's the way I'm trying to look at it.

But if the cinema darkens and the titles go up and the first words we hear are "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...", no matter who says them, I shall start watching with a big satisfied smile!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2011, 7:11pm

Post #135 of 379 (37425 views)
Shortcut
Lindele, I see your point. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I feel your pain. I don't know if this will help or not, but part of the reason every thread is peppered with complaints is that there are always many schools of thought on any issue concerning the books or the movies. This means that everyone is happy at some news and unhappy at other news. So when one group is happy, another group isn't, and vice versa. This means that while there are a few wet blankets around who apparently don't like anything at all, a lot of the complaining is spread around - different people complaining at different things. It helps somewhat to know the people as individuals, because then instead of a big group complaining en masse, you get to the point where you know that this person loves this idea and hates that one, but that person is the opposite, and that one over there can be trusted to bring up ______ at every opportunity. I don't know that it makes it less whiny, but at least it gives some variety to the chorus of moans. Wink

If you're waiting for the news that makes everyone happy....I'm not sure we've ever heard it. Perhaps the announcement of Ian McKellan's signing will be the closest, though I'm sure there's someone who's secretly hoping he'll be out and someone else will be in, and they'll make sure to come and tell us so. Tongue It's just the nature of things in a place like this.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 7 2011, 7:16pm

Post #136 of 379 (34616 views)
Shortcut
It's not a purse! It's a Middle Earthian carry-all!! [In reply to] Can't Post

As a purist (but not an ardent purist), I will be satisfied with nothing until I get to see the movie.

Until then I shall complain (but not ardently) about the tune in my head not being in the same key as the tune in TPTB's heads.

NAArP since 2011!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 7 2011, 7:16pm

Post #137 of 379 (36435 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe Lurtz *is* Itaril! [In reply to] Can't Post

"She was an elf once, taken by the dark powers, tortured and mutilated. A ruined and terrible form..."

"The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. The ring must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this."

*crickets*

peleowyn
Rivendell

Jan 7 2011, 7:17pm

Post #138 of 379 (36253 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful news!! [In reply to] Can't Post

We were all so hoping to see all our friends again! Hooray!!

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2011, 7:20pm

Post #139 of 379 (34944 views)
Shortcut
You're right about the McKellen announcement [In reply to] Can't Post

Even that won't totally satisfy everybody. I remember Gandalf'sMother saying that she (or he?) would like The Hobbit to get a new director, a new Saruman and a new Gandalf, but that's the only person as far as I'm aware.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 7 2011, 7:20pm

Post #140 of 379 (36367 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

But hopes it doesn't come true.Sly

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 7:23pm

Post #141 of 379 (34058 views)
Shortcut
Haha. Good one, Darkstone // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 7:26pm

Post #142 of 379 (33858 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I think maybe 99% of the fans (this is just my estimation) accepts Ian McKellen as Gandy. It may not have been their first choice, but he worked. Another estimation is that maybe 80 % loves Ian McKellen as Gandy (as myself). Like Silverlode I think this announcement is the closest we can get to a mutual Yay-feeling around here. Or a mutual Nay-feeling for that matter, if he does not reprise his role as Gandalf. Unsure

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 7:26pm

Post #143 of 379 (35043 views)
Shortcut
Well, I was hoping that everyone would be new, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not because I disliked McKellen's Gandalf, because I didn't. I thought he did a terrific job.

I was just hoping to see a different Middle-earth from a different director's perspective, just for variety's sake.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 7:28pm

Post #144 of 379 (36677 views)
Shortcut
Maybe this is where they're moving the Trolls' purse. // [In reply to] Can't Post

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Jan 7 2011, 7:29pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2011, 7:33pm

Post #145 of 379 (34472 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

that it would be nice to get a different director and a different perspective on Middle-earth (there are several that I would have preferred to direct The Hobbit), but recasting iconic characters solely for the sake of mixing things up is just going too far in my view.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 7 2011, 7:35pm

Post #146 of 379 (34318 views)
Shortcut
So they're making a troll's purse from an elf's ear? / [In reply to] Can't Post

"The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. The ring must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this."

*crickets*

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jan 7 2011, 7:36pm

Post #147 of 379 (34831 views)
Shortcut
Here's a thought [In reply to] Can't Post

What if they somehow tie Frodo into Gandalf The White's long talk with Tom Bombadil at the end of ROTK where Gandalf would tell the tale of how all this business of the ring started?

Photobucket
<<< There is a long road yet >>>

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 7:36pm

Post #148 of 379 (36012 views)
Shortcut
It is a gift. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2011, 7:39pm

Post #149 of 379 (36512 views)
Shortcut
I love the idea of working Bombadil in somehow [In reply to] Can't Post

If only they'd left the line in RotK where Gandalf says he's going off to meet him...

Maybe Frodo could narrate Bilbo's tale while sitting in Bag End and reading the Red Book, and Gandalf could narrate the adventures of the White Council while telling his parts of the story to Tom Bombadil?

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 7:39pm

Post #150 of 379 (34956 views)
Shortcut
Well, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be silly for Peter Jackson to cast a different Gandalf.

But if we'd gotten a different producer and director, I would have wanted them to start with a clean slate and give us all new casting.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.