Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How many copies of Lord of the Rings (the book(s)) do you own?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How many copies of Lord of the Rings (the book(s)) do you own?
10+
View Results (45 votes)

acheron
Gondor

Jan 6 2011, 5:48pm

Post #1 of 35 (1403 views)
Shortcut
How many copies of Lord of the Rings (the book(s)) do you own? Can't Post

I just received my fourth in the mail today -- the 50th anniversary leather-bound one volume. A special Christmas present to myself. Wink (http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-50th-Anniversary/dp/0618517650/ -- our own MrCere has a glowing review posted at Amazon)

I also own:

* A mass-market paperback set in three volumes (plus The Hobbit) from the mid-90s. On this page under "Ballantine Fifth Issue". http://mysite.verizon.net/aznirb/mtr/oop-lotr.html

* The one-volume hardcover with Alan Lee illustrations. I believe this one: http://www.amazon.com/...dos/ASIN/0395595118/

* A one-volume paperback printed in the UK, with an early movie tie-in cover. (No actors or anything, but a movie-style design and "Soon to be a motion picture" or something on it) Ah, here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007123817/

Those are all that I have at my current house. At my parents' house, though, there is the edition I first read, also a one-volume paperback from the UK. This is not exactly it, but very similar: http://www.tolkienbookshelf.com/...12705154a5fe511f8499 I believe that link contains an earlier version from the 60s, the version I had was probably printed in the mid-70s. That version does not contain all the appendices, only the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen.

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 6 2011, 5:50pm

Post #2 of 35 (1139 views)
Shortcut
1: [In reply to] Can't Post

The translated copy from 1961

I have 2 copys of TH though, one with the original translation and one with a newer translation.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 6 2011, 5:57pm

Post #3 of 35 (1144 views)
Shortcut
Since we include audiobooks in the Reading thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll say two. I have the BBC Audio and a set of the books given to me years ago. I also used to own the paperback set many years ago, but it has long since bitten the dust.

Same with The Hobbit.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jan 6 2011, 7:10pm

Post #4 of 35 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Answer with caveat... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a military man and with moves in one's life come purges. Further, I've BOUGHT many copies that were not gifts but lent and 'never came home'. So my total copies BOUGHT is in the 10+ range, but that I still have on-hand is 3. I have the red single volume edition circa mid-80s, an older 70s boxed 3-volume, and a movie-era set.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 6 2011, 7:24pm

Post #5 of 35 (1112 views)
Shortcut
I chose "6" in the poll, because I had to pick something. [In reply to] Can't Post

But the answer is a little more convoluted than that. Crazy

My original complete set of LOTR + TH that I got in Junior High School is tattered and disintegrating, so I bought a replacement set more recently. I also have a single-volume of LOTR only.

I loaned out my millennium edition (what a ripoff that was!) and then I told my friend to keep it.

I also have a copy of TH with the Michael Hague illustrations, as well as the History of the Hobbit by John D. Rateliff, which includes the complete text.

Throw in the BBC dramatization of LOTR, and the complete audiobook readings of both LOTR and TH by Rob Inglis, and I think it averages about six copies. Or five-and-a-half. Or something.

The Party Tree
Lorien

Jan 6 2011, 7:26pm

Post #6 of 35 (1122 views)
Shortcut
I have three sets in my house, but only one technically belongs to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I first read my dad's hardbacks, and then because they were starting to loose their hull-integrity (they have been well-loved to say the least) my little sister got paperbacks to use when traveling.

And then my parents got me a coming-of-age Alan Lee-illustrated hardback set that for my very own. :3

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2011, 7:33pm

Post #7 of 35 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Seven books/sets. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. 2 red-cover collector editions - hardback

2. 1 Lee-illustrated edition

3. 1 set of movie paperbacks

4. 2 sets of Ballantine paperback with Tolkien-illustrated covers

5. 1 boxed set of Ballantine larger paperback with map of Middle-earth on the box.

That doesn't count all the copies of The Hobbit we have. And our duplications are because we merged two Tolkien collections and purchased more together.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 6 2011, 7:46pm

Post #8 of 35 (1125 views)
Shortcut
This required a quick visit to the library. [In reply to] Can't Post

At a glance I see 22 sets or complete-in-one-volume books. Duplicate books are stored in the garage in a water tight container. One set of shelves is dedicated to The Hobbit and another to Tolkien's other works and Volumes of commentary, Just below the ceiling and completely around the room are hung the majority of my ToyBiz action figures. Over one window is a large horse-head banner in the Rohan style that Mrs Kangi hand made for the King's Banquet during the first Trilogy screening (after the RotK premier night) in the Twin Cities. She has a Masters of Fine Arts and teaches painting as a third job. My Tolkien Library is my fortress of solitude. I wish I had more room to put every thing out.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 6 2011, 7:46pm

Post #9 of 35 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Those red cover collector's editions look beautiful. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would treat myself to one some day only the set I have was a gift from a loved one, so I wouldn't want possibly to hurt her feelings by getting that one. But it is awesome.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2011, 7:51pm

Post #10 of 35 (1116 views)
Shortcut
You do realize, [In reply to] Can't Post

that there are never too many copies of Tolkien books? They make a bookcase look better. The giver of your other set should feel honored that you loved the set so well, you wanted another version or edition to fill out the shelf!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2011, 7:52pm

Post #11 of 35 (1108 views)
Shortcut
WOW! Enough said! // [In reply to] Can't Post

RosieLass
Valinor

Jan 6 2011, 7:53pm

Post #12 of 35 (1110 views)
Shortcut
You win! :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Jan 6 2011, 7:58pm

Post #13 of 35 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I just saw that Amazon is selling my set for $350 !! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Towers-Return/dp/B000JILPWA/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294343833&sr=1-8

or rather, a third party is. I'm searching for the red book now.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jan 6 2011, 8:44pm

Post #14 of 35 (1133 views)
Shortcut
If I had more than one sets I would--- [In reply to] Can't Post

Get mixed up with my book marks.

the_argonath
Lorien

Jan 6 2011, 8:56pm

Post #15 of 35 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Two. And a half.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I first read my dad's old tattered copy from the '60s that somehow got torn in half, but which I have taken the liberty of keeping in a safe place. So I bought a random run-of-the-mill all in one paperback. But I found the text in there really small so I've got the individual Alan Lee illustrated paperbacks which I love! I got TH, The Sil. etc in them versions because I love them so much Evil
I really want to find an early UK edition though, which will no doubt cost time, patience and money...

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2011, 10:34pm

Post #16 of 35 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Three [In reply to] Can't Post

A nice Alan Lee illustrated set, a one-volume one that I used for Menelwyn's January LOTR class (not taking place this year), and a set with photographs from the movie on the covers and backs.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2011, 10:41pm

Post #17 of 35 (1090 views)
Shortcut
three... at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

I've owned many more copies but I've gifted them all away. I have too many books and not enough shelf space. I couldn't afford to keep extra copies around any more.

My copies are:
a one volume, trade paperback with a movie cover (Nazgul)

This was purchased used and it had gotten wet at some point. But I didn't mind a bit. It's the copy that sits on my desk for quick reference. I love that all the books are in one volume as well as the index. I like that it opens more easily than the smaller paperbacks. And I love that it's already a bit battered because I don't want to fuss with keeping it in good shape.

LOTR + The Hobbit softcover boxed set

I bought this because my intention was to buy a complete set of Tolkien's works with the same cover design. I didn't follow that plan for a few reasons and I got a nicer set a little later. This set sits on my shelf waiting for a new home.

LOTR + The Hobbit hardcover boxed set

I won these from the Cryptic Crossword puzzle competition that TORn sponsored. I later bought a copy of the Silmarillion that has the same spine design that's illustrated (and signed) by Ted Nasmith.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2011, 10:42pm

Post #18 of 35 (1097 views)
Shortcut
adding audio books would increase my total by 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

...since I have the audio books on CD and cassette.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2011, 10:46pm

Post #19 of 35 (1109 views)
Shortcut
are you adding you TH and History of TH to your total? [In reply to] Can't Post

cause my copies of Tolkien written books number far more than the 3 LOTR copies (+2 audio book copies) that I claimed. :-)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 6 2011, 10:49pm

Post #20 of 35 (1099 views)
Shortcut
2 [In reply to] Can't Post

One three in one English paperback.
And one three separate volumes of the Dutch translation.

I still want the hardcover with Alan Lee drawings, since I also have The Hobbit, but I'm still saving for that one.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 6 2011, 10:53pm

Post #21 of 35 (1105 views)
Shortcut
I forgot... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the cassettes of both the BBC audio and the less wonderful American version. I haven't listened to that in years--well, I don't listen to tapes. Everybody in the American version sounded truly home on the range.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 6 2011, 10:59pm

Post #22 of 35 (1113 views)
Shortcut
well now... if we're adding radio dramas... [In reply to] Can't Post

then add two more to my total:
  • BBC on cassette
  • that other one on cassette
:-P

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 12:37am

Post #23 of 35 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Just two. [In reply to] Can't Post

One set for reading--paperbacks that include The Hobbit.
One set to look beautiful and impressive on the shelf--hard cover 50th anniversary edition with the fold-out maps.

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 7 2011, 12:40am

Post #24 of 35 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

It's high time for me to try to aquire a copy of an un-translated Lord of the Rings. The original. Perhaps I'll like it better in Tolkien's original language.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 7 2011, 1:17am

Post #25 of 35 (1079 views)
Shortcut
I forgot to count audio books [In reply to] Can't Post

and just did a quick estimate of seven. Let's see:

1. Old Ballantine paperbacks
2. El Senor de los Anillos (which I did read) paperbacks
3. One paperback single-volume
4. One movie tie-in single-volume hardback
5. The red "leather" volume that was wedding present from Uncle Baggins in 1978 :-)
6. The Alan Lee single-volume hardback
7. The 50th anniversary blue single-volume hardback

I'm not counting my backup Ballantine paperbacks that I bought in about 1973 after my brother kind of beat up my originals. I recently loaned them to my dad and told him he could keep them if he wants to. He may get around to reading them after he finishes Harry Potter. :-) If he does, it may be a new age record for first reading of LotR; he's 81. He read Farmer Giles of Ham and enjoyed it a lot.

I also have the BBC version that I taped off the air when it aired decades ago; those tapes are pretty worn out. And the set in the wooden box.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.