The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Coming to DC and Chicago in May

Annael
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 11 (1954 views)
Shortcut
Coming to DC and Chicago in May Can't Post

I'll be in DC May 19-21 and and then visiting Entmaiden in Chicago May 21-24. Entmaiden has suggested that we might make a pilgrimage to Marquette University for a day to see the Tolkien archives. I know there are quite a few TORnadoes in the area; anyone able to take off a day in the middle of the week to play? I'll have less free time in DC (there for a nephew's graduation from law school and to visit my new grand-nephew!) but maybe could have dinner.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Force of Hobbit

Feb 22 2007, 9:35pm

Post #2 of 11 (1516 views)
Shortcut
I would love to meet up with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I work in DC and live just outside of the city. Email me when you know more about your itinerary....

Smile

Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain

— J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets, 1999

(This post was edited by Force of Hobbit on Feb 22 2007, 9:47pm)

Patty
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 9:57pm

Post #3 of 11 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure I and the Mr. will be there... [In reply to] Can't Post

almost a certainty.

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2007, 12:08am

Post #4 of 11 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Another possible outing [In reply to] Can't Post

is to Wheaton College in the western suburbs. There's a bunch of Tolkien archives there, including the desk he used to write The Hobbit. Lots of CS Lewis archives, too.

In addition to the Tolkien activities, Chicago is a great town to visit and late May is great for weather.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

wolfranger
Bree

Mar 2 2007, 9:49pm

Post #5 of 11 (1496 views)
Shortcut
I live in Chicago! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes, anyway. I will, in fact, be living there in late May. So keep us posted! I haven't actually ever been to either Wheaton or Marquette. Shame on me.

"The progress of evolution from President Washington to President Grant, was alone evidence enough to upset Darwin." Henry Adams, The Education of Henry Adams.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 16 2007, 6:53pm

Post #6 of 11 (1518 views)
Shortcut
plans are made [In reply to] Can't Post

arriving DC afternoon of Friday May 18th, staying at the Bloomington Inn; Saturday is pretty free; Sunday is family thing (nephew graduating from Georgetown Law), then flying away Monday.

Arriving Chicago noonish Monday May 21, staying at the Marriot on Michigan, leaving Thursday morning, putting myself entirely in Entmaiden's hands!

Only a real man would dare do his morning power walk in a puffy shirt.

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 29 2007, 2:54pm)

Patty
Immortal

Mar 21 2007, 8:09am

Post #7 of 11 (1498 views)
Shortcut
We'll see you two there.. [In reply to] Can't Post

but will only be staying over one night.

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

Patty
Immortal

Mar 23 2007, 8:04am

Post #8 of 11 (1494 views)
Shortcut
Trying to decide which day/night to come... [In reply to] Can't Post

because we are the transportation to and from work for my son. I had somehow or other thought you were doing a weekend, but we'll need to try to make arrangements for him to his job.

At home, amongst the Mallorn trees.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 23 2007, 2:14pm

Post #9 of 11 (1499 views)
Shortcut
The archivist at Wade Center, Wheaton College... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is a big Tolkien fan (I met her at the Marquette Conference). Her name is Laura Schmidt and be sure to contact her if you're considering visiting. She loves to see other Tolkien fans.

If you can't get a work email contact for her (from the college's website somewhere) PM me and I'll give you her private email.

bluepilgrim

Mar 30 2007, 8:38pm

Post #10 of 11 (1463 views)
Shortcut
DC, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just another plug for our DC group if you're not already in it :-)

DC Ringers: The Fellowship of the Beltway

http://lotr.meetup.com/5

or

http://groups.yahoo.com/5

We're going to the Trilogy Festival in Arlington en masse. Always a good time. Newbies most welcome!

Annael
Immortal

Apr 10 2007, 8:46pm

Post #11 of 11 (1800 views)
Shortcut
BREAKING NEWS - TRIP CANCELLED [In reply to] Can't Post

financial reasons force me to cancel this trip. Sorry, all.

If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives . . . But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern.
- Ursula Le Guin

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.