Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What do you call that fizzy sugar drink where you live?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What do you call that fizzy sugar drink where you live?
Pop
Soda
Soda pop
Coke
Lemonade
Other
View Results (53 votes)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 3 2011, 2:36am

Post #1 of 74 (580 views)
Shortcut
What do you call that fizzy sugar drink where you live? Can't Post

This came up in conversation in my family recently. We all say "Pop". My folks are from Nebraska and California/Colorado, and us kids grew up in Colorado.

If English is your second language, you can answer "other" and tell us what it's called in your primary language, and/or what you learned to call it in English.

Hamfast
Rohan

Jan 3 2011, 2:43am

Post #2 of 74 (230 views)
Shortcut
It's always been soda to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Top 5 flavors...
Dr. Pepper
7UP
A&W Root Beer
IBC Cream Soda
Orange Crush

( I don't drink much soda at all anymore though....I like to keep ginger ale in the fridge for something bubbly when you need it)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2011, 3:33am

Post #3 of 74 (208 views)
Shortcut
almost always pop [In reply to] Can't Post

though sometimes I call it soda, never soda pop

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jan 3 2011, 3:34am

Post #4 of 74 (235 views)
Shortcut
Pop! Goes the Mom. [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter calls it soda (but she grew up in the North East, not in Nebraska or Colorado which both use the proper termAngelicEvilWink).

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3 2011, 4:12am

Post #5 of 74 (228 views)
Shortcut
Other - fizzy drink or soft drink. / [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 4 2011, 7:27pm)

acheron
Gondor

Jan 3 2011, 4:28am

Post #6 of 74 (292 views)
Shortcut
Soda now [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up in Ohio calling it "pop", but I converted to "soda" pretty quickly when I went to college in New England. (I live in Virginia now and still say "soda".)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 3 2011, 5:29am

Post #7 of 74 (221 views)
Shortcut
pop... Michigan & Minnesota [In reply to] Can't Post

But Minnesotans call rubber bands 'rubber binders'.

Once, when I was a kid, my cousin from across the street came over and said her mom wanted to borrow a poke. My mom could not get out of her what my aunt wanted so she finally called over and found out a poke was a bag. Which, of course made perfect sense when you consider a 'pig in a poke'.

I've also had to explain what an English muffin was for people visiting me from the UK. They'd never heard of it.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2011, 5:43am

Post #8 of 74 (239 views)
Shortcut
It's all pop to me ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a detailed, interactive, county-by-county breakdown of American names for soft drinks:

http://popvssoda.com:2998/...ts/total-county.html

I live smack in the middle of Pop land, but my husband comes from Soda land. Somehow we overcame our language differences ... Sly

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Jan 3 2011, 5:45am)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2011, 7:23am

Post #9 of 74 (267 views)
Shortcut
Mmmm... we generally call it "refresco" [In reply to] Can't Post

As in Refreshment. Short and colloquial for refresco is "chesco" much in the same we call beer (cerveza) "chela". Film translations usually call it either "soda" or "gaseosa" (as in gassy), but have never heard someone call it the latter in "real life".

I guess the cult term is "bebida carbonatada" = carbonated drink. Of course there are people that only call it "Coca" = Coke... but that's not generally well-seen.

Oh well... too much dissertation on soda... Tongue

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 3 2011, 9:00am

Post #10 of 74 (266 views)
Shortcut
Läsk [In reply to] Can't Post

Läsk, or Läskedryck is the general word used for drinks that are sweet and that are carbonated like Coca-cola. The translation I have always used for that is soda.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 3 2011, 2:36pm

Post #11 of 74 (222 views)
Shortcut
That map is fascinating! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm trying to figure out those five yellow/green counties in Colorado. The ones in the mountains make sense, since those mountain resort towns are more like California socially than like the rest of Colorado. But El Paso County is out on the plains and should be like the Midwest. Hmm....

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 3 2011, 2:39pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 3 2011, 2:41pm

Post #12 of 74 (181 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Interesting. // [In reply to] Can't Post

TolkienOtaku
Rivendell

Jan 3 2011, 3:03pm

Post #13 of 74 (201 views)
Shortcut
Devil's urine [In reply to] Can't Post

Not my idea to call soda that, though. Some guest doctor on Dr. Oz came up with it. Mainly because of how unhealthy soda is. And yet I still drink it on occasion. Weird.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 3 2011, 3:18pm

Post #14 of 74 (200 views)
Shortcut
I can't stand the stuff myself, but that's quite a name! :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

I like carbonated water though. When my kids were little they called it "spaka wata" ("sparkling water").

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 3 2011, 3:47pm

Post #15 of 74 (230 views)
Shortcut
It's "Coke", people. [In reply to] Can't Post

As in, "What kind of Coke do you want?"
Dr. Pepper, Sprite, or Coke? Tongue

Yeah, I'm in Texas. LaughCool

And I hate it when restaurants try to give me Pepsi in place of Coke. It's not the same thing at all! So I just order iced tea instead.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 3 2011, 3:57pm

Post #16 of 74 (189 views)
Shortcut
Fizzy Lifting Drink.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Jan 3 2011, 4:01pm

Post #17 of 74 (256 views)
Shortcut
Pop is pop. A soda is a drink made with carbonated water, syrup, and ice cream. [In reply to] Can't Post

and the concoction is consumed with a straw and a spoon, especially, in olden days, by a dating couple at an ice cream store.

Now, Pop can be orange, coke, 7 up, etc. but it's all pop, and designated specifically only when you want a specific flavor.

And that's the story in Indy.

(This post was edited by Patty on Jan 3 2011, 4:03pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 3 2011, 4:10pm

Post #18 of 74 (202 views)
Shortcut
Gaseosa! :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

And it also amuses me that the cult term is "bebida carbonatada". It's no surprise that when I see English and Spanish on a sign or package, the Spanish version is always half again as long as the English version :-D

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 3 2011, 4:12pm

Post #19 of 74 (209 views)
Shortcut
Yum! That soda recipe sounds delicious. [In reply to] Can't Post

And makes me think of The Music Man. They had some funny old-fashioned name for it there. Strawberry phosphate, or something.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 3 2011, 4:20pm

Post #20 of 74 (211 views)
Shortcut
I gather people who call pop "Soda" [In reply to] Can't Post

say "Ice cream soda" to designate that . Much easier to just call it "soda" and call pop, "pop". Yeah, we are great thinkers here in Indy.Laugh

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jan 3 2011, 4:43pm

Post #21 of 74 (232 views)
Shortcut
I've heard dentists call it "chainsaw for the teeth" // [In reply to] Can't Post

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2011, 4:52pm

Post #22 of 74 (181 views)
Shortcut
We are pop... [In reply to] Can't Post

eh.......speaking of which....I may just have to run down to the store and purchase a pop or two.....back to work tonight....which is worse than a bicycle with no seat..... but only back for a few days and then off to Mexico for a bit.....

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2011, 5:27pm

Post #23 of 74 (225 views)
Shortcut
In Michigan - pop. In Georgia - Coke (regardless of the flavor) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've lived in the South for about 5 years, and I still refer to soda as 'pop', which gets me odd looks. Wink

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2011, 5:48pm

Post #24 of 74 (217 views)
Shortcut
Pop. To me, soda is club soda, not the same thing at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember when my brother brought his new American wife to visit us. She asked for a soda, so I gave her club soda. Fortunately she thought it was funny.

But I normally don't drink pop of any kind. I just don't like it, it's far too sweet. The only one I can stand is Squirt, which tastes more like fruit juice. But we can't get it here, so I stock up whenever I go to the States.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 3 2011, 6:14pm

Post #25 of 74 (186 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! [In reply to] Can't Post

So in Indy a "Scotch and Soda" would have syrup and a scoop of ice cream in it?

Sounds.....interesting.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.