Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A wizard is never late nor is he early he arrives precisely when he means to.?

thehobbitftw
Rivendell

Dec 26 2010, 8:39am

Post #1 of 20 (857 views)
Shortcut
A wizard is never late nor is he early he arrives precisely when he means to.? Can't Post

So seeing that there is no word on Ian Mckellen reprising his role.Who do you think would be a good candidate to fill in his shoes.?WinkCool
(This is a What if sort of question.)

(This post was edited by thehobbitftw on Dec 26 2010, 8:41am)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2010, 9:32am

Post #2 of 20 (420 views)
Shortcut
Michael Gambon [In reply to] Can't Post

- or Brian Blessed. Either would be great.
Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 26 2010, 9:46am

Post #3 of 20 (371 views)
Shortcut
air. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2010, 3:14pm

Post #4 of 20 (565 views)
Shortcut
Michael Gambon as Gandalf, [In reply to] Can't Post

unlike Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, actually makes a certain amount of sense. He does look sort of like Ian McKellen.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 26 2010, 3:49pm

Post #5 of 20 (358 views)
Shortcut
Pfft... [In reply to] Can't Post

The answer to your question is nobody. Warners is eventually going to cave and pay McKellen what he wants, because they know business in the states would be stunted without a familiar, famous and relevant face like Ian McKellen. Or they just haven't announced more casting yet, and won't until after the new year. Replacing McKellen in The Hobbit would be different from replacing the perfectly cast Richard Harris in Harry Potter, though. As hiring Gambon didn't kill business for Harry Potter like replacing McKellen, which would be a catastrophic and gargantuan mistake from a business perspective. The only way they replace McKellen is if he dropped dead like Harris did (God forbid).

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 26 2010, 3:54pm

Post #6 of 20 (342 views)
Shortcut
It would be a crime to replace him // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 26 2010, 5:12pm

Post #7 of 20 (331 views)
Shortcut
Woody Allen... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Oh, Jesus, they're dead people's bones all over this troll's cave. No wonder I'm nauseous"...

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 26 2010, 5:13pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 26 2010, 5:20pm

Post #8 of 20 (333 views)
Shortcut
Woody is good but Clint Eastwood is better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Go ahead troll make my day!

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 26 2010, 5:25pm

Post #9 of 20 (331 views)
Shortcut
Dual Role [In reply to] Can't Post

Frank Langella. "But he's already portraying Saruman!" you exclaim. Well, good ol' Frank could be the Peter Sellers (Dr. Strangelove) of The Hobbit. He could do both roles. Evil

carrioncrow
Lorien

Dec 26 2010, 6:08pm

Post #10 of 20 (327 views)
Shortcut
plenty of choices [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no question Gandalf is a character that many actors could play well.
I've always thought there were to routes to success with Gandalf of The Hobbit films: Ian McKellen or somebody else.
each has its benefits, obstacles and opportunities.
I'd guess easily 50% of people who watched all three LOTR in theaters cannot name the actor who played Gandalf (I just asked 5 in the house i am staying for the holidays and only 2 named Ian McKellen)
What percentage of audience members, would you guess, who have seen more than 2 Harry Potter films in the cinema are blissfully unaware that Dumbledore has been played by more thn one actor? further, what percentage know and are indifferent.
if they cast a coat rack as Gandalf, 99% of those saying "Ian or I'm out" will still be standing in line for opening week (at least for Film One).
McKellen is in a strong bargaining position not because the film financiers are smart, but rather because they are cowards.

erynion
Lorien

Dec 26 2010, 9:03pm

Post #11 of 20 (296 views)
Shortcut
It has to be Ian. [In reply to] Can't Post

Alternatively of course Johnny Depp. Definitely. He'd be the most obvious choice. Can't you see it?

(This post was edited by erynion on Dec 26 2010, 9:07pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 26 2010, 10:08pm

Post #12 of 20 (306 views)
Shortcut
Well, there has been word. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So seeing that there is no word on Ian Mckellen reprising his role.Who do you think would be a good candidate to fill in his shoes.?WinkCool

There has been no official annoucement from the studio, but Sir Ian has indicated, himself, that he will be returning. I'm satisfied with that.

Elentari03
Rivendell

Dec 26 2010, 10:50pm

Post #13 of 20 (288 views)
Shortcut
Gambon would be good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never seen Harry Potter, but I did see him in Amazing Grace, and he was fantastic. Stole the movie.

However, Ian McK will probably be back. Smile

Eldaria
Rivendell

Dec 26 2010, 10:53pm

Post #14 of 20 (284 views)
Shortcut
My first choice is Sir Ian, but .... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would still stand in line if he were to be replaced, (for whatever reason), with Christopher Plummer.

Squashed_into_Jelly
Bree

Dec 27 2010, 1:19am

Post #15 of 20 (245 views)
Shortcut
The Captian [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a travesty to replace Sir Ian. But, if it absolutely has to happen, there is only one logical choice. Patrick Stewart.They look the same, act the same and sound the same. It has even been said before that they are one in the same. If the makeup was done right it would be hard to tell the difference.

Eldaria
Rivendell

Dec 27 2010, 1:36am

Post #16 of 20 (244 views)
Shortcut
I'm bumping Christopher Plummer down to 3rd cuz ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're right, Sir Patrick would be an awesome second choice.

duats
Grey Havens

Dec 27 2010, 2:32am

Post #17 of 20 (237 views)
Shortcut
Three choices [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher Plummer
Michael Gambon
Patrick Stewart

erynion
Lorien

Dec 27 2010, 3:09am

Post #18 of 20 (221 views)
Shortcut
Er? [In reply to] Can't Post

No? XD

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Dec 27 2010, 5:53am

Post #19 of 20 (256 views)
Shortcut
Here's another vote for Captain Picard [In reply to] Can't Post

Patrick Stewart: "Picardalf" jokes aside, he really is the closest you can get to Sir Ian on the A-list in voice and appearance. Except for the nose and the hairdo, as evidenced by a casual look at the X-men movie. And since Gandalf's nose and hair were fake to begin with it's not hard to switch them

As for Christopher Plummer, I'm not familiar with much of his work except for the one-eyed Shakespeare-spouting Kllingon conspirator General Chang in Star Trek VI. But I certainly liked the commanding presence he lent to that character.

If the studio wants to save a buck, I've mentioned earlier Patrick O'Connor from The Hunt for Gollum was a decent Gandalf for cheap, but we only saw him sitting on a chair and smoking a pipe, not sure how he'd do in other scenes.

Michael Gambon might make a good Gandalf too, with plenty of Hollywood wizarding experience, but I'm not familiar with any of his non-Dumbledore work, and my guess is he probably wants to get away from the wizard thing now that the HP series is wrapping up. (Speaking of HP alumni not wanting to do any more films with wizards in them, it's a shame the kid who played Harry Potter wasn't interested in auditioning for The Hobbit, he could have made an excellent Drogo)

(This post was edited by guitarzankansasfan on Dec 27 2010, 5:56am)

Bran
Lorien

Dec 28 2010, 7:36pm

Post #20 of 20 (232 views)
Shortcut
Agree, nobody [In reply to] Can't Post

Has to be Ian, imo. He owned the part, and for many millions he is Gandalf. I just don't see it with another actor.

Whilst I'm on the subject, I'm very worried about Saruman. I know the score with Sir Chris, but the biggest, and best surprise for me would be if they found some way of using him as Saruman, even if it was filmed in England and then substituted, the way they substituted Gollum for AS. It must be possible, surely?

Please?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.