The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Screenwriters

ladyoftheredwoods
Bree

Jun 29 2007, 2:32am

Post #1 of 5 (5303 views)
Shortcut
Screenwriters Can't Post

Who would you want to write the script for the Hobbit movie?
I'm assuming it won't be Fran and Phillipa if Peter Jackson does not direct. Who usually chooses the screenwriters?

Patty
Immortal

Jun 29 2007, 4:09pm

Post #2 of 5 (4137 views)
Shortcut
If the unthinkable happens.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and "The Hobbit" is made without our guys, I'm not sure who I'd want to do the screenplay. My favorite screenplay writer usually writes for TV (Andrew Davies), and I've seen him do screenplays from creepy horror (Mother Love) to our beloved Jane Austen adaptations and he is top notch. I don't know how he'd do with Tolkien, but then I would not have thought, based on pedigree, that PJ et al would be THE ONES born to do LotR, and looked how that turned out.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 30 2007, 11:27am

Post #3 of 5 (4119 views)
Shortcut
From what I've read [In reply to] Can't Post

(and I'm no expert on this stuff), if New Line decides to make The Hobbit they will have to do it quickly, before their rights expire. And this would probably mean a quick script, possibly written by in-house scriptwriters. They would have to rely on the brand to sell the movie, and hope for the best. That's how I understand it anyway. They could probably make a nice pile of cash doing it this way (sequels/prequels of "franchise" movies seem to be able to make millions regardless of quality), but it seems like a terrible waste of such a valuable resource.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

orcbane
Gondor

Jun 30 2007, 12:48pm

Post #4 of 5 (4121 views)
Shortcut
Fran & Phillipa & Peter [In reply to] Can't Post

did such a marvelous job with Lotr it is hard to imagine someone else being given the work. Who ever attempts it will already have an very difficult task, trying to follow Lotr with the Hobbit. The three main ingredients I saw to the first films success was a great book to start with, respect of it by the screenwriters and lastly their own fresh & original film interpretation. The last two may seem to be in conflict, but I do not see it that way when crossing media (book to film, etc.).

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Jul 2 2007, 11:43pm

Post #5 of 5 (5183 views)
Shortcut
If I really HAD to pick someone else... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I would pick Costa Botes. He is a New Zealand screenwriter who worked with Peter on Forgotten Silver and even did the original synopsis of LOTR that Peter shopped around to the studios.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.