Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - June 28
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28 2007, 2:09pm

Post #1 of 77 (669 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 28 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

June 28 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Expect me when you see me.
(not from the appendices + no text)
... He went off at dawn. 'I may be back any day,' he said. 'At the very latest I shall come back for the farewell party. I think after all you may need my company on the Road.'
... At first Frodo was a good deal disturbed, and wondered often what Gandalf could have heard…"

... Sam appeared later in the day to work in the gardens. Frodo joined him as they tilled around the potato plants and he enjoyed this last summer's routines. At first they worked silently, then Sam asked if Frodo had to go discuss "plans" with Gandalf. Upon hearing that the wizard had left early that morning, Sam continued working the ground deep in thought.
... "What do you suppose he heard that made him go off so suddenly?" he asked, voicing Frodo's own concern. "I don't mind saying that I was counting on him being with us when it comes time to…" he broke off and looked around before finishing in a whisper, "…to be leaving the Shire and going into the wilds outside."
... "He said he'd be back by then, Sam. So try not to worry," Frodo said reassuringly; but he couldn't help shake the feeling that Gandalf's sudden departure had more to it than he was letting on.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Patty
Immortal

Jun 28 2007, 4:46pm

Post #2 of 77 (463 views)
Shortcut
My firm vow not to watch these movies again until... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hold them in my hands in High Definition is weakening with every TIME of gramma's that I read.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2007, 5:37pm

Post #3 of 77 (432 views)
Shortcut
Go ahead, give in! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did this past week, and it was great -- I held out for about a year, then I couldn't stand it any longer.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28 2007, 7:14pm

Post #4 of 77 (415 views)
Shortcut
*plays "Jaws" music* duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh...// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2007, 8:18pm

Post #5 of 77 (425 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Resistance is futile! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Yep, once again Star Trek works its way into LotR...)

The trouble is, I find myself more and more wanting to watch unfilmed scenes - both from the books, and from little non-book moments, like this!

And it must have been a relief to Frodo, to have someone he could discuss his plight openly with, when Gandalf was not there...in even a small way, he could share his burden, and Sam was most trustworthy. WinkAngelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"History often resembles "Myth", because they are both ultimately of the same stuff."
-JRR Tolkien, "On Fairy-stories"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28 2007, 9:04pm

Post #6 of 77 (414 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly what I was thinking! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Patty
Immortal

Jun 28 2007, 9:47pm

Post #7 of 77 (436 views)
Shortcut
"The trouble is, I find myself more and more wanting to watch unfilmed scenes - both from the books, and from little non-book moments, like this" [In reply to] Can't Post

This is soooooooooo true, dernwyn. I must see the deleted scenes Mr. PJ! And soon!

I'm thinking they won't be released, though, until it's in high def. I seem to recall that's what PJ said.

(This post was edited by Patty on Jun 28 2007, 9:51pm)

hatster
Rohan

Jun 28 2007, 9:55pm

Post #8 of 77 (422 views)
Shortcut
well, that was my plan too, but then [In reply to] Can't Post

This winter I went out and got a nice big LCD wide screen. Not wall TV or anything, but big for my little one bed room apartment. Then I went out and got an upconverting DVD player with surround sound and a sub woofer.

I still held out until this past weekend. I'll say that the upconverting works pretty well. I'm sure that true Hi Def will be smoother (I see a bit of jitter in this) but man o man it beats my old computer screen w/surround sound and certainly beats my old Lo Def TV with sorta stereo :-)

I've watched the first two and plan to get ROTK in this weekend

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

Patty
Immortal

Jun 28 2007, 10:13pm

Post #9 of 77 (428 views)
Shortcut
I have an older hi def TVset... [In reply to] Can't Post

which I can not use to upconvert (no HDMI interfaces) so I've not purchased any of the upconverting players. I watched the films when they recently were shown on TNT HD, but the picture was stretched (not shown at 2.35:1--nothing on TNT HD is shown original aspect ratio) and my set is not bright enough (too old) to do especially TNT justice since it's so dark. I am hoping to get a new one in about a year--which WILL be widescreen and have HDMI. Surely by then the movies will be available in HD. What a party we'll have when those come out in high definition!

hatster
Rohan

Jun 29 2007, 12:42am

Post #10 of 77 (441 views)
Shortcut
well, if you get a chance to watch it upconverted to 1080p [In reply to] Can't Post

It is well worth it :-)

All I really need now is someone who hasn't seen them who wants to. That is about the only thing that would truly make a viewing feel special.

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 29 2007, 8:41am

Post #11 of 77 (428 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 30 pt 1 (I know... I know... today's the 29th!) [In reply to] Can't Post

This one's a bit long, so let's start with a bit of it Today... in Middle-earth.

The Chief Days : Midsummer's Eve

I Lithe, 2941 (S.R. 1341) pt.1
1. Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin and Company prepare to leave the Last Homely House.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."So the time came to midsummer eve, and they were to go on again with the early sun on midsummer morning.
...Elrond knew all about runes of every kind. That day he looked at the swords they had brought from the trolls' lair, and he said: "These are not troll-make. They are old swords, very old swords of the High Elves of the West, my kin. They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars. They must have come from a dragon's hoard or goblin plunder, for dragons and goblins destroyed that city many ages ago. This, Thorin, the runes name Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver in the ancient tongue of Gondolin; it was a famous blade. This, Gandalf, was Glamdring, Foe-hammer that the king of Gondolin once wore. Keep them well!"
..."Whence did the trolls get them, I wonder?" said Thorin looking at his sword with new interest.
..."I could not say," said Elrond, "but one may guess that your trolls had plundered other plunderers, or come on the remnants of old robberies in some hold in the mountains of the North. I have heard that there are still forgotten treasures of old to be found in the deserted caverns of the mines of Moria, since the dwarf and goblin war."
...Thorin pondered these words. "I will keep this sword in honour," he said. "May it soon cleave goblins once again!"
..."A wish that is likely to be granted soon enough in the mountains!" said Elrond. "But show me now your map!""

sample sample

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 29 2007, 8:42am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 29 2007, 8:46am

Post #12 of 77 (412 views)
Shortcut
*hand shoots up* ummmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

My memory's really, really bad now. So by the time they come out on HiDef, it'll be a whole new experience for me! Each time I watch it! A week later, even...

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 29 2007, 8:51am

Post #13 of 77 (416 views)
Shortcut
I want the dvd Peter promised [In reply to] Can't Post

with filmed scenes that were deleted! *twitch* PLUS! PLUS!!! I've been listening to the director commentaries for RotK, and all through ALL the director commentaries, Peter keeps joking about putting this and that in a 25th anniversary edition. Uhhh... that scares the buhjeepers outta me! I'll be... *counts on fingers* 77 years old from the time of RotK's release in 2004.

Okay... I'm really stressing now. TENTH ANNIVERSARY, PETER! ONE-ZERO! 5th would be suhwheet!

sample sample

Patty
Immortal

Jun 29 2007, 2:12pm

Post #14 of 77 (404 views)
Shortcut
What boggles my mind is that we've already had the 5th anniversary [In reply to] Can't Post

of FotR.

My my, and still no "Hobbit" to complete the set...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 29 2007, 2:13pm

Post #15 of 77 (405 views)
Shortcut
Ancient history [In reply to] Can't Post

Treasures that have lain hidden for many years, now beginning to see the light of day...no, not the swords! I'm referring to The Fall of Gondolin, which Tolkien first put down on paper during World War II.

It's references like this, and Moria, and even the presence of Elrond himself, which tie The Hobbit into the larger legendarium. This is not a simple there-and-back-again tale: its origins are far more complex, and you can feel how this story is rooted in the ancient histories. And it's moments like this that make us long for more tales of Middle-earth.

"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 29 2007, 4:04pm

Post #16 of 77 (389 views)
Shortcut
It makes Middle-earth real... what a gift! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

hatster
Rohan

Jun 29 2007, 9:34pm

Post #17 of 77 (394 views)
Shortcut
well gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

Next time you come east, you'll have to run up the coast about 2.5 hours so we can have a trilogy weekend together :-) I'll fire up the widescreen and pop the popcorn

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2007, 1:11am

Post #18 of 77 (378 views)
Shortcut
*high five* I'd LOVE to!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

Aerlinn
Lorien

Jun 30 2007, 4:34am

Post #19 of 77 (386 views)
Shortcut
*makes note to drop in uninvited*/ [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2007, 10:38am

Post #20 of 77 (396 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 30 pt.2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

The Chief Days : Midsummer's Eve – I Lithe

I Lithe, 2941 (S.R. 1341) pt.2
1. Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin and Company prepare to leave the Last Homely House.
Elrond said, ""...show me now your map!"
..."He took it and gazed long at it, and he shook his head for if he did not altogether approve of dwarves and their love of gold, he hated the dragons and their cruel wickedness, and he grieved to remember the ruin of the town of Dale and its merry bells, and the burned banks of the bright River Running. The moon was shining in a broad silver crescent. He held up the map and the white light shone through it. "What is this?" he said. "There are moon-letters here, beside the plain runes which say 'five feet high the door and three may walk abreast.'"
..."What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also liked runes and letters and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.
..."Moon-letters are rune-letters, but you cannot see them," said Elrond, "not when you look straight at them. They can only be seen when the moon shines behind them, and what is more, with the more cunning sort it must be a moon of the same shape and season as the day when they were written. The dwarves invented them and wrote them with silver pens, as your friends could tell you. These must have been written on a midsummer's eve in a crescent moon, a long while ago."
..."What do they say?" asked Gandalf and Thorin together, a bit vexed perhaps that even Elrond should have found this out first, though really there had not been a chance before, and there would not have been another until goodness knows when.
..."Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks," read Elrond, "and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole."
..."Durin, Durin!" said Thorin. "He was the father of the fathers of the eldest race of Dwarves, the Longbeards, and my first ancestor: I am his heir."
..."Then what is Durin's Day?" asked Elrond.
..."The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together. But this will not help us much, I fear, for it passes our skill in these days to guess when such a time will come again."
..."That remains to be seen," said Gandalf. "Is there any more writing?"
..."None to be seen by this moon," said Elrond, and he gave the map back to Thorin; and then they went down to the water to see the elves dance and sing upon the midsummer's eve."

I Lithe, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Arwen comes to the City.
(from the appendices)
..."It was the day before Midsummer when messengers came from Amon Din to the City, and they said that there was a riding of fair folk out of the North, and they drew near now to the walls of the Pelennor. And the King said; 'At last they have come. Let all the City be made ready!'
...Upon the very Eve of Midsummer, when the sky was blue as sapphire and white stars opened in the East, but the West was still golden, and the air was cool and fragrant, the riders came down the North-way to the gates of Minas Tirith. First rode Elrohir and Elladan with a banner of silver, and then came Glorfindel and Erestor and all the household of Rivendell, and after them came the Lady Galadriel and Celeborn, Lord of Lothlórien, riding upon white steeds and with them many fair folk of their land, grey-cloaked with white gems in their hair; and last came Master Elrond, mighty among Elves and Men, bearing the sceptre of Annúminas, and beside him upon a grey palfrey rode Arwen his daughter, Evenstar of her people.

...And Frodo when he saw her come glimmering in the evening, with stars on her brow and a sweet fragrance about her, was moved with great wonder, and he said to Gandalf: 'At last I understand why we have waited! This is the ending. Now not day only shall be beloved, but night too shall be beautiful and blessed and all its fear pass away!'"

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 30 2007, 2:38pm

Post #21 of 77 (394 views)
Shortcut
Still hoping they publish an edition of The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

where this map is inserted, as Tolkien desired: on a separate page, with the moon-runes written on the flip side in reversed letters, so you can hold the page up to the light and read them. I love the cleverness of that idea!

In Douglas Anderson's Annotated Hobbit, he notes that the moon-letters for the word "when" actually spell out "hwen", which "reflects Anglo-Saxon usage".

I'm also starting to see a lot more, thanks to the Beowulf discussion that Curious is leading! Do you see Tolkien's casual use of Old English alliterative poetry - "...and the burned banks of the bright River Running"! It's the things like this which make his writing so lyrical.

Oh, what a perfect picture to go with the arrival of Arwen! We all recognize it as occurring just before the "vision" in the movies, but it could just as easily be them travelling somewhere along the southern road. Maybe that's Glorfindel behind her...

Got a question regarding the banner: "First rode Elrohir and Elladan with a banner of silver" - does this mean, that Elladan carried the banner, or that the brothers were each holding a pole, with the banner strung between them? And what would have been on this banner?

"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 1 2007, 8:56am

Post #22 of 77 (389 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

MIDSUMMER'S DAY -- Lithe -- Mid-year's Day (July 1st)

Midsummer's Day, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf, Thorin, the Dwarves and their Burglar leave Rivendell for the Lonely Mountain.
..."The next morning was a midsummer's morning as fair and fresh as could be dreamed: blue sky and never a cloud, and the sun dancing on the water. Now they rode away amid songs of farewell and good speed, with their hearts ready for more adventure, and with a knowledge of the road they must follow over the Misty Mountains to the land beyond."

Midsummer's Day, 2980 (S.R. 1380)
1. Aragorn and Arwen – A promise is born.
(not from the appendices)
..."Then for a season they wandered together in the glades of Lothlórien, until it was time for him to depart. And on the evening of Midsummer Aragorn, Arathorn's son, and Arwen daughter of Elrond went to the fair hill, Cerin Amroth, in the midst of the land, and they walked unshod on the undying grass with elanor and niphredil about their feet. And there upon that hill they looked east to the Shadow and west to the Twilight, and they plighted their troth and were glad.
...'And Arwen said: "Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices; for you, Estel, shall be among the great whose valour will destroy it."
...'But Aragorn answered: "Alas! I cannot foresee it, and how it may come to pass is hidden from me. Yet with your hope I will hope. And the Shadow I utterly reject. But neither, lady, is the Twilight for me; for I am mortal, and if you will cleave to me, Evenstar, then the Twilight you must also renounce."
...'And she stood then as still as a white tree, looking into the West, and at last she said: "I will cleave to you, Dúnadan, and turn from the Twilight. Yet there lies the land of my people and the long home of all my kin."'"

Midsummer's Day, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf meets Radagast the Brown.
(from the appendices)
..."'At the end of June I was in the Shire, but a cloud of anxiety was on my mind, and I rode to the southern borders of the little land; for I had a foreboding of some danger, still hidden from me but drawing near. There messages reached me telling me of war and defeat in Gondor, and when I heard of the Black Shadow a chill smote my heart. But I found nothing save a few fugitives from the South; yet it seemed to me that on them sat a fear of which they would not speak. I turned then east and north and journeyed along the Greenway; and not far from Bree I came upon a traveller sitting on a bank beside the road with his grazing horse beside him. It was Radagast the Brown, who at one time dwelt at Rhosgobel, near the borders of Mirkwood. He is one of my order, but I had not seen him for many a year.
...'"Gandalf!" he cried. "I was seeking you. But I am a stranger in these parts. All I knew was that you might be found in a wild region with the uncouth name of Shire."
...'"Your information was correct," I said. "But do not put it that way, if you meet any of the inhabitants. You are near the borders of the Shire now. And what do you want with me? It must be pressing. You were never a traveller, unless driven by great need."
...'"I have an urgent errand," he said. "My news is evil." Then he looked about him, as if the hedges might have ears. "Nazgûl," he whispered. "The Nine are abroad again. They have crossed the River secretly and are moving westward. They have taken the guise of riders in black."
...'I knew then what I had dreaded without knowing it.
..."'The Enemy must have some great need or purpose," said Radagast; "but what it is that makes him look to these distant and desolate parts, I cannot guess."
"'What do you mean?" said I.
...'"I have been told that wherever they go the Riders ask for news of a land called Shire."
...'"THE Shire," I said; but my heart sank. For even the Wise might fear to withstand the Nine, when they are gathered together under their fell chieftain. A great king and sorcerer he was of old, and now he wields a deadly fear. "Who told you, and who sent you?" I asked.
...'"Saruman the White," answered Radagast. "And he told me to say that if you feel the need, he will help; but you must seek his aid at once, or it will be too late."
...'And that message brought me hope. For Saruman the White is the greatest of my order. Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue; and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends. But Saruman has long studied the arts of the Enemy himself, and thus we have often been able to forestall him. It was by the devices of Saruman that we drove him from Dol Guldur. It might be that he had found some weapons that would drive back the Nine.
...'"I will go to Saruman," I said.
...'"Then you must go now," said Radagast; "for I have wasted time in looking for you, and the days are running short. I was told to find you before Midsummer, and that is now here. Even if you set out from this spot, you will hardly reach him before the Nine discover the land that they seek. I myself shall turn back at once." And with that he mounted and would have ridden straight off.
...'"Stay a moment!" I said. "We shall need your help, and the help of all things that will give it. Send out messages to all the beasts and birds that are your friends. Tell them to bring news of anything that bears on this matter to Saruman and Gandalf. Let messages be sent to Orthanc."
...'"I will do that," he said, and rode off as if the Nine were after him.'"

Midsummer's Day, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Wedding of Elessar and Arwen
(from the appendices)
..."...Then the King welcomed his guests, and they alighted; and Elrond surrendered the sceptre, and laid the hand of his daughter in the hand of the King, and together they went up into the High City, and all the stars flowered in the sky. And Aragorn the King Elessar wedded Arwen Undómiel in the City of the Kings upon the day of Midsummer, and the tale of their long waiting and labours was come to fulfillment."

Midsummer's Day, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Frodo resigns office of mayor, and Will Whitfoot is restored.
(from the appendices)
..."If Sam thought himself lucky, Frodo knew that he was more lucky himself; for there was not a hobbit in the Shire that was looked after with such care. When the labours of repair had all been planned and set going he took to a quiet life, writing a great deal and going through all his notes. He resigned the office of Deputy Mayor at the Free Fair that midsummer, and dear old Will Whitfoot had another seven years of presiding at Banquets."

Midsummer's Day, 3082 (S.R. 1482)
1. The death of Mistress Rose, wife of Master Samwise, on Mid-year’s Day.
(from the appendices-no text) ...And in the full tale of days, Sam is again parted from one he loves. With a deep sense of fulfillment and understanding beyond words, in his grief he finds comfort and waits for a day foretold.

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 1 2007, 9:38am

Post #23 of 77 (377 views)
Shortcut
The depth of Tolkien's work [In reply to] Can't Post

and world never ceases to amaze me. *shakes head* Middle-earth is real... that's all there is to it.

I've always envisioned the brothers escorting their sister to this incredible, historic, life-changing moment... each supporting the banner hung between them with their sister and the rest of the company following. I've seen the brothers much like Eomer and Faramir along with Aragorn taking their places in the new age as leaders (knowing Elrond will depart). Their riding with the symbol of their kindred and realm is significant for themselves as well, imho.

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 1 2007, 9:42am

Post #24 of 77 (388 views)
Shortcut
Five Years! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know! Nearly eight since they started principle photography! It IS mind-boggling.

We need The Hobbit. It's been so quiet in hearing news about it. I'm hoping the silence is a good sign that things are happening behind the scenes :)

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 1 2007, 11:28am

Post #25 of 77 (378 views)
Shortcut
A day of endings and beginnings! [In reply to] Can't Post

A day of changes, throughout the history of Middle-earth! The continuation of a Quest after new information has been brought to light (or moon-light, as the case may be!); the decision that would continue the story of Beren and Lúthien; the message that would send one wizard into danger - and another into unknowingly managing his escape; the re-uniting of ancient kingdoms; the restoration of a Hobbit to his office; and the fullfillment of another Hobbit's life's work in Middle-earth - and the sign that he has one more journey to make, one that will complete all the other tales...

I do like the idea of this day being its own separate day, that emphasizes how special it is!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.