The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Lady Giladriel vs Gandalf

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Dec 14 2010, 1:55am

Post #1 of 16 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Lady Giladriel vs Gandalf Can't Post

The powerful elf vs the powerful Maia- what do you think?

Couldn't Lady Giladriel [if she wanted to] defeat Sauron without any help or is that something I just thought I heard?

Bustin' makes me feel good!!

I do believe if our honorable friend continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel for objections he is in danger of getting splinters under his fingernails.

Have you heard nothing of the stubbornness of dwarves and their elf
instigators?

The dark spybot will not avail you, flame of Ubuntu!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 14 2010, 3:10am

Post #2 of 16 (976 views)
Shortcut
Close but [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf wins by an eyebrow. Maiar rule!

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

StarElf
Rohan

Dec 14 2010, 3:22am

Post #3 of 16 (1024 views)
Shortcut
I think...... [In reply to] Can't Post

if Galadriel could have defeated Sauron without anyone's help, then she totally would have done it. What you might have heard might have been something along the lines of Galadriel being able to defeat Sauron if she had the Ring, but it would still ultimately corrupt her and she'd ultimately wreak the same evil. Sauron might even well have another chance to take the Ring, so the whole 'transfer of power' thing would have been very superficial.

Personally, my bets are on Gandalf. Some of it might depend on if it was Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White, though. GtW is a much tougher opponent than GtG.

Was the world being born what called me...?
At the bottom of the deep sea, I could hear a voice.

(This post was edited by StarElf on Dec 14 2010, 3:27am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2010, 3:52pm

Post #4 of 16 (973 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to pick Mithrandir.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although the lady of the woods might be able to smile real pertty like and probably kick mean butt, I think the old man in the white cloak could come out on top in this epic battle of middle-earth heavyweights.....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 14 2010, 4:07pm

Post #5 of 16 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Agreed with Star-elf: [In reply to] Can't Post

If Galadriel was that powerful she would have made an effort.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Dec 15 2010, 12:38am

Post #6 of 16 (968 views)
Shortcut
Not really... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If Galadriel was that powerful she would have made an effort.

It wasn't her "task". It wasn't appointed to her. But, if I were her I would slap some people (orcs) around more than she did.

I do believe if our honorable friend continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel for objections he is in danger of getting splinters under his fingernails.

instigators?

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 15 2010, 7:34am

Post #7 of 16 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it wasn't her task, but [In reply to] Can't Post

In my point of view, she had the responsibility to aid the suffering people of Middle-earth instead of wandering around in Lorien looking sad. Everyone may not agree with this but that's how I view it.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

StarElf
Rohan

Dec 15 2010, 1:00pm

Post #8 of 16 (970 views)
Shortcut
Also.... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Galadriel was a Queen of the Noldor, and the Noldor had been fighting alongside the Sindarin Elves against the forces of evil for thousands of years. In the Prologue to Fellowship, you can even see Noldorin Elves in the fight against Sauron. Galadriel's kinsman Elrond was even there when Isildur got the Ring.

2. Galadriel was the mother of Celebrian, as well as the grandmother of Arwen and her brothers. People who are moms and grandmas don't let big, bad evil demons ruin the home planet of their kids and grandkids if they can stop it.

3. Guilt. Galadriel might have felt that the Royal House of Noldor still had to redeem itself for the civil war it had unleashed between the Elves during the First Age.

4. If Galadriel didn't have the willpower to overcome the temptation to travel with her uncle to Middle Earth despite the attacks on the Teleri, then I doubt she could have resisted the temptation to defeat Sauron. She likely also wouldn't have been as tempted by the Ring if she could just defeat Sauron on her own.

(This post was edited by StarElf on Dec 15 2010, 1:09pm)

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Dec 15 2010, 1:48pm

Post #9 of 16 (965 views)
Shortcut
You sound like what Merry said to Frodo in ROTK!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Roast chicken?!

You're taller. Who? You. Then what? Then me! I've always been taller than you. Pippin, everyone knows you're the short one. I'm the tall one. Please Merry. Your what? Three foot six at the most. Whereas I'm pushing three seven. Three eight! Three foot eight! You did something.

It's Latin. Loosely translated, it means... we cheat.

"Strange treasures in this fair world appear, strange all, and new to me." That is a poem by Thomas Traherne and I have absolutely no idea what it's about. But, when I was small I was made to learn it by heart so I don't see why you shouldn't suffer too.

StarElf
Rohan

Dec 16 2010, 7:31am

Post #10 of 16 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Well, they are both right! :P :P [In reply to] Can't Post

And Frodo was only 'appointed' as Ringbearer because he volunteered in the first place. Tongue If he hadn't, who knows how long everyone at the Council would have gone on arguing about who was going to carry the Ring?

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2010, 11:05pm

Post #11 of 16 (879 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Dec 19 2010, 12:46am

Post #12 of 16 (1041 views)
Shortcut
The white or grey?// [In reply to] Can't Post

instigators?

Airaloske
The Shire

Dec 28 2010, 4:13pm

Post #13 of 16 (855 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel wasn't trained for the offense. She's probably a kick-bum defender but when it comes to going on the offense I don't think she can quite hold a candle to dear old Olorin. Gandalf can use a sword, yes, but he can also use his power to cast offensive spells. I'm sure Galadriel could use a sword when it came down to it, but I don't think her offensive spellcraft is nearly as strong as Gandalf's, not to mention the fact that Gandalf is probably physically stronger than the Elf-Queen (not just because, on an anatomical level, dudes are generally stronger than chicks, but because he's been tromping through the wilderness for a ridiculously long time while Galadriel's been hanging out in her forest castle with Celeborn, weaving cloaks, baking lembas, polishing her jewelry, and looking in her Mirror). No, my money's on our favorite wonderful wizard. Maybe back in the day Galadriel kicked some tail but I don't think she quite has what it takes any more.

StarElf
Rohan

Dec 30 2010, 2:50am

Post #14 of 16 (879 views)
Shortcut
Okay, so maybe Galdriel wasn't one of the Galadhrim, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll bet she could outrun at least 89% of them. We have to give Galadriel credit where she was due; Elves had health and strength beyond that afforded to mere mortal women. Galadriel had strong genes, even for an Elf, and I doubt she was just sitting around all day in Lotholorien. Since she was still so young and strong, I can imagine her challenging Celeborn and/or her handmaidens to footraces when nobody was looking. Or maybe even when they were. If Nessa wasn't above running around in the woods from time to time, I doubt Galadriel would feel the need to be. She's a freakin' queen of the Elves, and Elves do seem to love their exercise. If it came down to fists over enchantment, then I'll bet Galadriel would have an excellent chance of pummeling Gandalf. Gandalf might have been strong, but Galadriel was just as tall and had the advantage of a more youthful body. I'd probably bet on her if it just came down to brute strength. Evil

Airaloske
The Shire

Dec 30 2010, 5:35pm

Post #15 of 16 (1065 views)
Shortcut
meh [In reply to] Can't Post

dudes are still stronger Wink *runs away*

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 26 2011, 8:52am

Post #16 of 16 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

...By a nose...

Get it?

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.