Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
used book find: Taipei edition ROTK/TT

a.s.
Valinor

Jun 27 2007, 11:41pm

Post #1 of 6 (764 views)
Shortcut
used book find: Taipei edition ROTK/TT Can't Post

Do you have the same habit: compulsively checking the Tolkien section of every used book store in hopes of finding something unusual but hardly ever actually finding anything? Well, I stopped at lunch today at a local used book store and found something pretty neat. I'm not actually a "collector" so don't really know the worth of anything. My criteria is "coolness", I hate to say...

Anyway, I saw a TT and a ROTK that looked exactly like miniatures of my own personal 2nd edition Houghton Mifflin's; same dust jacket covers, same print, same number of pages...but littler. The paper is very thin almost tissue paper, so the book is much thinner, and about an inch shorter:

Looking inside, I found this:

And the MAPS!!! The maps are intact in the back, and look exactly the same (I think, eyeballing it anyway) except they are printed on very fragile tissue paper.

They only had ROTK and TT, so I bought both of them. How I wish they had FOTR as well!!

Pretty nifty, don't you think?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say they're gonna come back.
Some say you rest in the arms of the Savior if sinful ways you lack.
Some say they're coming back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be."

~~~~~Iris DeMent

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 28 2007, 12:29am

Post #2 of 6 (633 views)
Shortcut
Wow - even from the scans [In reply to] Can't Post

you can see how thin the pages are. The words on the next pages in are visible!

Very, very wicked cool a.s. Are you going to keep them as 'look, don't touch', given the fragile pages?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Modtheow
Lorien

Jun 28 2007, 1:39am

Post #3 of 6 (631 views)
Shortcut
Extremely nifty! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also compulsively check the Tolkien section in every used book store I go by, and now I know that there's good reason to do it.

Where's drogo? I wonder if he's ever seen or heard of this edition.

Great find, a.s.!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 28 2007, 1:41am

Post #4 of 6 (629 views)
Shortcut
*jaw drops* This is so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! I love stuff like this.

Yeah... I can't stop from looking for Tolkien's books. I have lots and lots of different editions, but I HAVE TO LOOK!

Keep looking around there. I find if you discover one or two things, there are others ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2007, 1:52am

Post #5 of 6 (636 views)
Shortcut
"not for export" [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are incredible - a rare find!

Is all the text inside, in Chinese also?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"History often resembles "Myth", because they are both ultimately of the same stuff."
-JRR Tolkien, "On Fairy-stories"

a.s.
Valinor

Jun 28 2007, 10:40am

Post #6 of 6 (693 views)
Shortcut
no, the text looks exactly like my HMs! [In reply to] Can't Post

Each page almost looks like a photocopy of my 2nd edition HMs: same size, same type face, etc. However, there is less white space at the top and bottom margin of each page. There are exactly the same number of pages as in my HMs, etc.

I WISH I could find FOTR! I found one online but it's the fourth printing.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say they're gonna come back.
Some say you rest in the arms of the Savior if sinful ways you lack.
Some say they're coming back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be."

~~~~~Iris DeMent

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.