Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Pro's and Con's of following a film in the making.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 13 2010, 7:00pm

Post #26 of 35 (368 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean we're going to have to discuss things in the style of "While you've made some good points, I disagree with you on some parts. Here's why" instead of "You're a poo-poo head!"?

That's gonna slow up the post count.

Not all who wander are lost.

(But that's the way to bet.)

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Dec 13 2010, 7:02pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 13 2010, 8:06pm

Post #27 of 35 (332 views)
Shortcut
Good thing you've already made Half-elven then, isn't it? >:) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 13 2010, 8:36pm

Post #28 of 35 (368 views)
Shortcut
Exactly what I was thinking! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you going to put an asterisk on post counts?

Not all who wander are lost.

(But that's the way to bet.)

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2010, 10:15pm

Post #29 of 35 (335 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the movie's quality [In reply to] Can't Post

Following the LOTR movies' filming and production was a good experience because the movies largely lived up to their hype. All in all, I'm glad I did it. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about movie making; best of all, it's what led me to TORN!

Following the Phantom Menace's filming and production was fun while it lasted, but ended up being frustrating because the movie wasn't very good. I didn't follow the Star Wars prequel movies very closely after that. I think I'd have enjoyed TPM more if I hadn't been closely following it -- my expectations would have been lower.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Dec 13 2010, 10:17pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 13 2010, 11:24pm

Post #30 of 35 (341 views)
Shortcut
Making it to Half-Elvin in under 3 strikes [In reply to] Can't Post

is an accomplishment all it's own.

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 14 2010, 8:24am

Post #31 of 35 (320 views)
Shortcut
Opinions. Everybody's got one. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If people are taking a tone with me, or patronizing me, or yelling at me, or dismissing me, or just refusing to accept any opinion but their own as valid... trust me, I don't feel like hugging them when we part. In fact, I tend to avoid their corner of the room the next social event we attend because interaction isn't pleasant.

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 14 2010, 8:26am

Post #32 of 35 (376 views)
Shortcut
Okay, obviously I have no clue how to use the "quote" function. :( [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I really, truly did type, but it didn't show up because I could not get my cursor out of the quoted area. Tongue

I stopped visiting TORN for a long while during the LOTR years because of exactly this. There was a very small, but very vocal, minority of fans who would not tolerate any criticism of the films, and I got tired of getting slapped down every time I mentioned something I didn't like.

As far as spoilers, in this case, I knew how the storyline went, so that kind of spoiler was irrelevant. And I think I was happier knowing about some of the filmmakers worst excesses ahead of time, because that gave me time to resign myself to them. Then, if they turned out to be not as bad as rumor suggested, I was pleasantly surprised!

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 16 2010, 8:40pm

Post #33 of 35 (322 views)
Shortcut
*waves* Nice to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

(outside FB, I mean :-D )

I went for all the spoilers I could grab, back in the First, Second and Third Ages. I was glad I had, so I wasn't devastated at some of the (in my opinion) stupid choices that were made, like Aragorn's fall off the cliff. I had already steeled myself for them. And I could sigh in relief at some that had been thought better of, like Arwen at Helm's Deep. And I got to keep my eyes peeled for the reappearance of Figwit :-D

I haven't really been following the Hobbit info, though, since I'm not as invested in it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Artanis
Rohan

Dec 17 2010, 12:16pm

Post #34 of 35 (312 views)
Shortcut
*Waves back* :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

Good points about being prepared for any 'stupid choices' made in the films. Hmm very good point.

Artanis

LittleTook
The Shire

Dec 23 2010, 2:59am

Post #35 of 35 (376 views)
Shortcut
"I like egg-y pudding." [In reply to] Can't Post

This might be a silly comparison, but for me it’s like watching my mom making one of my favorite dishes for dinner or treats for dessert. Seeing the process and what step she’s on and what she’s put into it makes me anticipate the end result more. There’s also the fact that she knows I’m waiting and excited—it’s the same for The Hobbit with me. I was too young and naive about things like the internet when LotR was coming out and to this day I’m still disappointed that I missed out on all the news and hype about it. But now I have a chance to make up for it, at least a little. The Hobbit is a gift from PJ and Co. They know we’re waiting eagerly for it, ready to devour it and ask for seconds. Any news or updates that can be given to me before the gift of TH may be presented to us all with love in 2012 is more than welcome. It’s only whetting my appetite! Tongue

And as for some of the comments about how, essentially "knowing too much about production" in a sense “ruined your appetite” for the magic of M-e, for me it has enhanced my appreciation for the work that was done to make those films possible and for that reason I enjoy them even more than when I had no idea how they made hobbits small compared to humans! Laugh

When the time comes to visit Middle-earth again, I’m sure that it will be a sort of déjà vu to when I first saw Lotr:FotR: pure magic that pulls one into another world and takes them on yet another unforgettable journey. And the facts that were revealed to me about the making of it will subconsciously add to the experience. Heart

"Hope without guarantees." -Professor Tolkien

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody is in that position." -Dr. Patrick Curry

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.