Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell (and Beyond) -- February 22, 2007
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Miradan
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 12:11pm

Post #1 of 32 (265 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell (and Beyond) -- February 22, 2007 Can't Post

Good morning, fellow travellers! I trust all your walks are going well. Welcome to the Walk on the lovely new TORn boards. Very exciting!

My walk is going well – I’m nearing the Black Gate with Frodo, Sam, and that stinker Gollum. The weather has been lovely for the past couple days, so lots of great walking. I’m on track to meet current challenge, which is to reach Faramir by March 25 – at this point, I’ll probably be past him by then. Not a bad thing!

One of my favorite songs, from FOTR, “Three is Company”:

Upon the hearth the fire is red.
Beneath the roof there is a bed;
But not yet weary are our feet,
Still round the corner we may meet
A sudden tree or standing stone
That none have seen but we alone.
Tree and flower and leaf and grass,
Let them pass! Let them pass!
Hill and water under sky.
Pass them by! Pass them by!

It always makes adventuring sound like so much fun! Little did they know what they were going to find on the Road.

Don’t forget to update your mileage on the Shields page. Be sure to keep a paper record of your miles, as there is always the potential for the Shields page to crash (again). And see you in Rivendell!!!!

Miradan
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 12:12pm

Post #2 of 32 (151 views)
Shortcut
Explanatory note: [In reply to] Can't Post

The Eowyn Challenge/ Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a LOTR-related fitness walk thingy that began in March 2003, and that has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. The idea is to keep track of your mileage as you walk, and soon you will find yourself traversing the 458 miles to Rivendell. The walk is open to all. Keeping a goal date in mind can be useful for some, others are happy taking the scenic route and getting to Rivendell eventually. The website for the Walk explains things far more coherently than I can; please check out the link below, especially the main page and the Walk page. Lots of useful links, including wonderful mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, can be found on the Tools page.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread can usually be found right here on Main, on Thursday mornings.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 3:22pm

Post #3 of 32 (155 views)
Shortcut
Still bouncing along with the Company from Minas Tirith [In reply to] Can't Post

on our way to bring Theoden to the burial mounds of Rohan. We're going at a leisurely pace, so it'll be a while ;)

I really love that song, too! The hobbits know how to capture their favourite things in their tunes!

Thanks lots, Miradan! Give Faramir a hug for me when you see him!

oh, and I think your link didn't take... or it's hiding really well!

HUGS!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 22 2007, 4:58pm

Post #4 of 32 (131 views)
Shortcut
Just reached the Stock Road/ [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 4:59pm

Post #5 of 32 (147 views)
Shortcut
Sigh - progress is slow [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how rancid Gollum smelled after trudging through the Marsh? Can you even stand to be near him?

Well, I've completely fallend off the wagon, but I got back on today and climbed some (45 flights of) stairs. If I don't get moving soon, I'll never be in shape for playing Ultimate Frisbee this summer (probably already too late to be in peak condition, grrr), and I'd never forgive myself for that!

Notta

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 5:07pm

Post #6 of 32 (122 views)
Shortcut
Spending all your time on the new boards? [In reply to] Can't Post

Instead of zooming around as usual?

Smile

Notta

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 5:08pm

Post #7 of 32 (123 views)
Shortcut
You're in the best part of the Walk, in my opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

Early on, there are soooo many fun milestones. Later on, it is almost like work to get from one milestone to the next ("almost", since Tolkien is never work, right?).

Notta

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 22 2007, 5:15pm

Post #8 of 32 (124 views)
Shortcut
I'm proud of myself because [In reply to] Can't Post

I walked before work which means I have to get out of bed at 5am which is tough! But this morning I got up, brushed my teeth, then went back to bed. After about 20 minutes of not being able to get back to sleep I got up and out there walking. I did have to cut it short since I was a half hour late but that's better than nothing. And I just took a brief walk at lunch.

PS: I'm also proud because this is my first post on the new boards. I just discovered them on Tuesday. I do like them but have a hard time with change. Plus I'm lacking in computer skills so I hope I didn't screw this up.

Keep up the walking everyone and I hope to see you all at Fiesta tomorrow!

Kethry
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 5:18pm

Post #9 of 32 (130 views)
Shortcut
Moving slowly along [In reply to] Can't Post

I've finally left Rivendell, and have camped the first night out. I really miss those nice beds already. I was lazy last weekend, so I didn't get much exercise. And then I managed to hurt myself Monday so I had to visit the chiropractor on Tuesday. It felt so good to be able to move and walk on Wednesday. Well, but I have a workout with the trainer tonight, and I might have to ask him to take it a bit easy on me, my back is still aching a bit.

Oh! a friend of mine told me that he could tell that I was working out, because he noticed that I was looking really good lately. Blush That felt really nice to have someone notice a change.

"You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about - the more you have left when anything happens." ~ Ethel Barrymore

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 5:37pm

Post #10 of 32 (113 views)
Shortcut
Hey good to see you here again! [In reply to] Can't Post

So, was this THE friend I saw you mention a few Fiesta's ago? You know, HIM?

Notta *Still wasting time on those comics*

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 5:38pm

Post #11 of 32 (125 views)
Shortcut
You should be proud of yourself [In reply to] Can't Post

Making the committment to get up early and exercise is very difficult (for me, at least). Way to stick with it!

And yeah, you seem to have managed to post just fine.

Notta

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 5:40pm

Post #12 of 32 (105 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a week you're having! Congrats and sympathy for having to get up early... but it's SO worth it! AND congrats on your first post here! It's intimidating and fun all at once. We're all on level ground in discovery, so it's been surreal! :)

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 5:40pm

Post #13 of 32 (125 views)
Shortcut
I find I keep [In reply to] Can't Post

running to the same walls as i find my way around ;)

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 5:43pm

Post #14 of 32 (106 views)
Shortcut
Compliments on your progress from others [In reply to] Can't Post

is always so encouraging! Makes the effort worth it :D I'm bummed you hurt yourself. I hope it's not too serious! You know that your workouts count at mileage, too. Every little bit helps ;)

Hang in there... and I hope your recovery if FAST!

sample sample

Kethry
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 5:46pm

Post #15 of 32 (118 views)
Shortcut
No, unfortunately not. [In reply to] Can't Post

Different guy. HE is preoccupied with a skinny little blond. (no offense meant to any other skinny little blonds!) But it's still nice to have someone notice.

Oh, and I found another time-waster for you. It has an even bigger archive to catch up on. Sly If you want to know... but you're probably too busy.

"You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about - the more you have left when anything happens." ~ Ethel Barrymore

Kethry
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 5:59pm

Post #16 of 32 (138 views)
Shortcut
It's not too serious. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just keep managing to knock my hip out of place. A few years ago, while playing volleyball, I went down on my knee really hard, which displaced my hip. Which totally messes up all your back muscles. But even after getting it fixed, it's still prone to moving. Monday night I managed to displace my hip again, not nearly as badly, but still bad enough. At least I'm a wimp and don't like to live with pain, so I went to the chiropractor as soon as possible. Downside is that I might have to keep going back for awhile to make sure it stays in place.

And of course I'm using my workouts for milage! That's how I've managed to get on the Walk again, I was using the workout as motivation to get going again.

Heart Thanks for the encouragement.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 6:14pm

Post #17 of 32 (129 views)
Shortcut
That's the great thing about bookmarks [In reply to] Can't Post

They can hang out 'til I have time to waste on them. Go ahead, pass it on!

Sorry to hear about "the guy", but the good news is that skinny little things tend to break easily, so you've got that going for you!

Not that we'd ever wish that on someone....Angelic

Notta

Kethry
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 6:14pm

Post #18 of 32 (166 views)
Shortcut
Glad to see you back on the wagon! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm still using your spreadsheet and chart, it's very useful. Now I just need to make time to get the next batch of milestones on that sheet. I miss seeing them as I go. I assume that you just took the milage figures from the walk page and put them in?

Anyhow, 45 flights of stairs? That's a lot of stairs!

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 6:38pm

Post #19 of 32 (135 views)
Shortcut
I've got all the milestones up to Lothlorian [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want me to send the spreadsheet, I can do that. Otherwise you're on your own. And yeah, I just did a copy/paste of the mileage from the website (I think I had to clean up a few blank lines, etc to make it look just right).

Notta

Kethry
Lorien

Feb 22 2007, 8:25pm

Post #20 of 32 (109 views)
Shortcut
That's alright [In reply to] Can't Post

If all you did was a cut/paste, then I can do that for myself. It's just finding the time at home to do it. I don't really spend time online on the weekends.

Oh, and as for the newest timewaster, it's called Irregular Webcomic and here is the first one. It's updated daily, and currently has 1488 comics in the archive. The interesting thing about this one is that it's not just one storyline, there's 16. The author has a great index and a listing of the various themes. You can either start at the first one and keep going, or you can read theme by theme. Let me know what you think, when you get a chance to read some.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2007, 8:31pm

Post #21 of 32 (104 views)
Shortcut
Bookmarked - thanks! [nt] [In reply to] Can't Post

Miradan
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 10:56pm

Post #22 of 32 (110 views)
Shortcut
Ooops [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally forgot to actually include the link this morning. . .Blush Still getting used to the new boards.

Will be more than happy to give Faramir a hug for you!

Miradan
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 10:58pm

Post #23 of 32 (119 views)
Shortcut
The Shire is definitely the best part of the Walk [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of fun stuff happens there, within a fairly small number of miles. Not like the first 200 miles of the walk to Lorien, or paddling down the Anduin.

Miradan
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 10:59pm

Post #24 of 32 (102 views)
Shortcut
45 flights of stairs!! [In reply to] Can't Post

wow! Good for you!

There's still plenty of time to get in shape before frisbee season -- good luck!

Miradan
Rivendell

Feb 22 2007, 11:01pm

Post #25 of 32 (97 views)
Shortcut
Good job [In reply to] Can't Post

Both with the walking, and with figuring out the new boards. They do take some getting used to -- I've used boards similar to this, but this one has its quirks.

Good luck with the walking.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.