Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Just wondering...

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 26 2007, 8:56pm

Post #1 of 19 (243 views)
Shortcut
Just wondering... Can't Post

When you click on "Who's Online", you get a list of Tornsibs and what they are doing at that moment. You also get a list of "Guests" and what they are doing. My question is, are the "Guests" just people who haven't logged in yet, or who don't have a user name? Or are they Tornsibs who have elected to be "invisible" and just appear as anonymous guests?
No big deal, I was just curious. Not Curious, though. Wink

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Sherry
Rivendell

Jun 26 2007, 10:09pm

Post #2 of 19 (136 views)
Shortcut
IIRC [In reply to] Can't Post

Just anyone who is online and not logged in. Any registered user would show up as a guest if not logged in.

People who have elected to remain invisible, when logged in, don't show up iirc.

There are many out there reading these forums that have not signed up a user name or ever posted here. Therefore not logged in. They are the 'guests' you see. Lukers or people not logged in.

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I'm listening to - My Last FM page

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26 2007, 10:17pm

Post #3 of 19 (151 views)
Shortcut
They are [In reply to] Can't Post

sad, sad people with no lives who sneak around and spy at us.

Or possibly Tornados who haven't signed in :-)

a.s.
Valinor

Jun 26 2007, 11:18pm

Post #4 of 19 (143 views)
Shortcut
Gasp!! It sees us [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to look after this post, and realized it KNEW I WAS LOOKING AT IT (well, it said I was "viewing category" or something....) and also IT KNEW someone else was "writing private message"...and

right now

this very minute (I just checked in another window)

IT KNOWS I AM "WRITING POST REPLY"!!

Wow.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say they're gonna come back.
Some say you rest in the arms of the Savior if sinful ways you lack.
Some say they're coming back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be."

~~~~~Iris DeMent

a.s.
Valinor

Jun 27 2007, 2:58am

Post #5 of 19 (136 views)
Shortcut
what's "printable mode", precious? [In reply to] Can't Post

In a rather wierd coincidence, after viewing this thread here and then discovering the power of the "Who's Online" board (I guess really it should be known as the Mother Board, since it knows what we are all up to!!), I went searching on Google for some info on hidden cities for a post in the RR.

During that Google search I entered something like "why can't Morgoth find Gondolin" (to see what wiser people had already said on the subject) and noticed a post from newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_printable;post=29236;guest=122987

And if you click on that it takes you to a "printable view" of one thread in flat mode (which I never saw before---the print thingy, not the thread).

So anyway, the coincidence: I just went back to "Who's Online" (still floored by how that thing knows what everyone is doing!!! sort of freaky, that thing) and lo and behold, two of the guests were "viewing posts" in "printable mode".

So, I just now also noticed (I hope some moderator is able to follow this "explanation"...) that you can print a thread. Cool.

But why are those printable threads showing up on Google?

Not that I mind, exactly. It's just a mystery to me.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say they're gonna come back.
Some say they're coming back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.

~~~~~Iris DeMent

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 27 2007, 3:17am

Post #6 of 19 (107 views)
Shortcut
Itsy-bitsy spiders... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Three meals for the Elven-kings high on the sky flet,
Three for the Dwarf-lords meat ripe off the bone
Three for Mortal Men doomed to diet,
Seven for the Halflings of Hobbiton!
In the Land of the Shire where the Taters fry.
Seven meals to rule them all, seven meals to find them,
Seven meals to bring them all and at the Party bind them
In the Land of the Shire where the Taters fry.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 27 2007, 3:22am

Post #7 of 19 (123 views)
Shortcut
Would printable mode have something to do with... [In reply to] Can't Post

that 'print thread' button between 'watch thread' and 'view flat mode'?

A Magpie's Nest Soundtrack Site has been updated with new lyric information for TTT.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 27 2007, 4:13am

Post #8 of 19 (111 views)
Shortcut
Looks like it to me. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2007, 10:12am

Post #9 of 19 (128 views)
Shortcut
Or possibly people who are at jobs where they are forbidden... [In reply to] Can't Post

to log onto message boards. "Big Brother is watching and may take away your job!"

a.s.
Valinor

Jun 27 2007, 10:41am

Post #10 of 19 (121 views)
Shortcut
but why are they showing up on Google searches? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are our individual posts searchable (and findable!) on Google? I couldn't get any of my individual posts to show up in Google (and any random posts, either) but that doesn't mean anything (I could just have not hit on the right specific Google search term to make one appear...)

a.s.

"an seileachan"

~~~~~Iris DeMent

Wynnie
Rohan

Jun 27 2007, 1:52pm

Post #11 of 19 (106 views)
Shortcut
some do, some don't [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why, but I have found that some new-TORn posts are Google-able. Try searching your old nickname. It doesn't seem true of all of them, though.

User profiles show up too, but unless the nicknames are fairly distinctive, they get lost in a sea of other matches. Adding "theonering" to the search will pull up most of them as first hit, but it doesn't work for "a.s."

None such shall return again.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 27 2007, 3:47pm

Post #12 of 19 (114 views)
Shortcut
That would be the same [In reply to] Can't Post

as Tornados who haven't signed in or sad people spying on us, depending on whether they sign in when they come home or not.
;-)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2007, 4:31pm

Post #13 of 19 (118 views)
Shortcut
I know of one Tornado who isn't allowed... [In reply to] Can't Post

to post at work who just e-mails his post home and has his stay-at-home wife post things for him! Isn't he lucky to have such a wonderful wife?

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2007, 5:29pm

Post #14 of 19 (170 views)
Shortcut
They're not alone. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just as paranoid. I email posts home and post them when I get there. Of course, I'm sure I'd get in trouble if anyone read my emails so it's kind of silly, I guess. I often wonder if anyone has noticed, during lunchtime or right after working hours, the board is suddenly bombarded with Galadriel posts.

~~~~~~~~

Coming up with reasons for changing my nick from GaladrielTX to Galadriel wore me out.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2007, 8:29pm

Post #15 of 19 (83 views)
Shortcut
How to search Google for only TORN posts [In reply to] Can't Post

Put

site:newboards.theonering.net

somewhere in your search string. That should only pick up sites that are located at newboards.theonering.net.

Right now, google claims there are 1330 matches if I simply search on site:newboards.theonering.net with no additional filters, so it clearly doesn't have all the pages indexed.

Of course, since the boards are now searchable, I don't know how much good this does, but there you have it.

Notta

Aerlinn
Lorien

Jun 28 2007, 10:56pm

Post #16 of 19 (103 views)
Shortcut
It's how I read threads at work. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I want to read a whole thread, I hit "print thread", copy the whole thing, and paste it into Notepad. They apparently do pay attention to how much time is spent online, if nothing else, so I minimize it this way; I can read a few posts here and a few there and not be too very obvious about it. Wish I'd thought of it a couple of jobs ago.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jun 29 2007, 5:15am

Post #17 of 19 (65 views)
Shortcut
Right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone can view these boards without registering, and they will show up as "guests." No big mystery.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2007, 9:16am

Post #18 of 19 (101 views)
Shortcut
That would work! [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband does his looking at TORN during lunch. They pay attention to what sites you are on during working hours and will take your internet access away if you "abuse" it.

Tyler
Lorien

Jul 1 2007, 8:46am

Post #19 of 19 (55 views)
Shortcut
OMG i typed. [In reply to] Can't Post

site:newboards.theonering.net Tyler.And it pulled up Every thing i had ever done on torn. thats juat cool to me.Smile I typed in someone else's torn name. And i could see every post thay have made on torn.That was still here

Never doubt that a small group of peple can change the world indeed,that is the onely thing that ever has......Margaret mead

(This post was edited by Tyler on Jul 1 2007, 8:53am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.