Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORN EXCLUSIVE: Cate Blanchett, Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy, Mikael Persbrandt join cast of Peter Jackson’s ‘The Hobbit’
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Dec 7 2010, 3:45pm

Post #1 of 146 (14381 views)
Shortcut
TORN EXCLUSIVE: Cate Blanchett, Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy, Mikael Persbrandt join cast of Peter Jackson’s ‘The Hobbit’ Can't Post

Los Angeles, December 7, 2010

Cate Blanchett, Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy and Mikael Persbrandt have joined the cast of Peter Jackson’s highly anticipated adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s epic ‘The Hobbit.’ Also joining them are Ryan Gage, Jed Brophy and William Kircher. The films, which are scheduled to commence principal photography in February 2011, mark Jackson’s return to Middle-earth following his Oscar-winning ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy. The announcement was made jointly today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema, Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

Jackson, who directed all three ‘Lord of the Rings’ films, will helm the two films back-to-back, telling the story of ‘The Hobbit’ in two parts from a screenplay by Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro.

Cate Blanchett (‘Lord of The Rings’ trilogy, ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’) will reprise her role from ‘Lord of The Rings’ trilogy as Galadriel, the Lady of Lothlorien. Ken Stott (‘Charlie Wilson’s War’, TV’s ‘Rebus’) will play the Dwarf Lord Balin, Sylvester McCoy (TV’s ‘Doctor Who’) will play the wizard Radagast the Brown and well-known Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt (‘Everlasting Moments’, ‘Day and Night’) will play the shape-shifter Beorn. British actor Ryan Gage (‘Outlaw’, TV’s ‘Doctors’) will play Drogo Baggins, with New Zealand actors Jed Brophy (‘Lord of The Rings’ trilogy, ‘District 9’) playing the role of the dwarf Nori, and William Kircher (‘Out of the Blue’; TV’s ‘Legend of the Seeker’) rounding out the company of Thorin Oakensheild in role of the dwarf Bifur.

Peter Jackson welcomed the news of Cate Blanchett’s return to Middle-earth. “Cate is one of my favorite actors to work with and I couldn’t be more thrilled to have her reprise the role she so beautifully brought to life in the earlier films.” On the casting of Scottish actor Ken Stott, Jackson commented, “Fran and I have long been fans of Ken’s work and are excited he will be joining us on this journey.” Jackson also welcomed the addition to the cast of Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt. “The role of Beorn is an iconic one and Mikael was our first choice for the part. Since seeing him read for the role we can’t imagine anyone else playing this character.”

The actors join the previously announced cast including Martin Freeman (TV’s ‘Sherlock,’ ‘Breaking and Entering’) as Bilbo Baggins, Richard Armitage (upcoming ‘Captain America: The First Avenger’), Aidan Turner (TV’s ‘Being Human’), Rob Kazinsky (TVs ‘EastEnders’), Graham McTavish (‘Secretariat’), John Callen (TV’s ‘Power Rangers Jungle Fury’), Stephen Hunter (TV’s ‘All Saints’), Mark Hadlow (‘King Kong’) and Peter Hambleton (TV’s ‘The Strip’). Additional cast announcements include James Nesbitt (‘Millions’ and TV’s ‘Cold Feet’) and newcomer Adam Brown.

Since ‘The Hobbit’ films received a green light on October 15, pre-production has been in full swing with release dates targeted for December, 2012 and December, 2013. Jackson will utilize groundbreaking visual effects and his incomparable storytelling to bring J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel to the big screen. Both ‘Hobbit’ movies will be filmed in Digital 3-D, using the latest camera and stereo technology to create a high quality, comfortable viewing experience.

The two films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally.

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with co-writer Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner as executive producers. The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson, Walsh and Cunningham, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, ‘The Return of the King’ swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

ABOUT NEW LINE CINEMA:
New Line Cinema continues to be one of the most successful independent film companies. For more than 40 years, its mission has been to produce innovative, popular, profitable entertainment in the best creative environment. A pioneer in franchise filmmaking, New Line produced the Oscar®-winning ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy, which is a landmark in the history of film franchises. New Line Cinema is a division of Warner Bros.

ABOUT PETER JACKSON/WINGNUT FILMS:
Peter Jackson is one of the world's most successful filmmakers. His monumental achievement co-writing, co-producing and directing The Lord of the Rings trilogy (with fellow Academy Award winners and frequent collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens) earned a total of 30 Academy Award nominations and 17 Academy Awards. Jackson and Walsh received their first Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay for their acclaimed film Heavenly Creatures. Jackson, through his New Zealand-based Wingnut Films banner, also was responsible for the globally successful 2005 remake of King Kong which earned over $500 million worldwide and 3 Academy Awards. Jackson most recently directed the Academy Award nominated The Lovely Bones; an adaptation of the acclaimed best-selling novel by Alice Sebold, which to date has earned nearly $100 million worldwide; and produced the global sensation, District 9, which received an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture. He is also developing a trilogy of films with Steven Spielberg based on Tintin, the world renowned comic book series by Herge. In 2010 he received a Knighthood for his services to film.

ABOUT METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER STUDIOS INC.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music, and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries. For more information, visit www.mgm.com.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 7 2010, 9:05pm)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2010, 8:55pm

Post #2 of 146 (9476 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

that Mikael Persbrandt is cast as Beorn. I don't know much (ie: anything) about him, but the front page poll right know shows Beorn as 12.69% and the Elvenking leading at 44.42%

Other than that... Hurrah for known roles Smile

The wide world is all about you:
you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Anteor
Bree

Dec 7 2010, 8:56pm

Post #3 of 146 (10047 views)
Shortcut
hmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

and once again I know none of the names on that list except that of Sylvester McCoy's. I am glad we finally have a full band of dwarves and a Beorn though. On the flip side why is Drogo there? Oddness.

if more of us valued food and good cheer above gold and jewels. it would be a merrier world.

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 7 2010, 9:02pm

Post #4 of 146 (10660 views)
Shortcut
Looks great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Exciting times we live in!!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 7 2010, 9:07pm

Post #5 of 146 (10328 views)
Shortcut
So with Cate in, [In reply to] Can't Post

the White Council’s inclusion in the films looks like a dead cert. Which means we should get to see the Necromancer’s home in Mirkwood.

Can’t wait!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 7 2010, 9:11pm

Post #6 of 146 (9701 views)
Shortcut
Still no official word on Sir Ian? // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

hutch
Rohan

Dec 7 2010, 9:11pm

Post #7 of 146 (9464 views)
Shortcut
Cate Blanchett's back [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Dec 7 2010, 9:12pm

Post #8 of 146 (9967 views)
Shortcut
Wonder Why No McKellen News. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanna see more Cate in this cause like to see her an Ian McKellan in a scene other then the ending in return of th king. What do we know the Guy playing Balin. Does have a Dwarf face. He looks kinda like JRD.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2010, 9:13pm

Post #9 of 146 (9609 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a major cluster of bombshells dropped on us just there. I'll have to contemplate this for a few hours. Well, it's terrific that we have confirmation of Cate Blanchett/Galadriel's return. I have to admit, I am sort of disappointed that the new additions are all people I've never heard of, but I'm sure they'll all do well if Peter Jackson chose them.

I have to say, I'm puzzled by the casting of Persbrandt as Beorn – I thought Ron Perlman was perfect, and Perpsbrandt really seems out of left field. But Jackson says he's great, so I suppose I'll take his word for it. Maybe it will be another Heath Ledger/Joker situation (the unconventianal but brilliant casting part, not the untimely death part).

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2010, 9:16pm

Post #10 of 146 (8898 views)
Shortcut
Judge for yourself. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ken Stott

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2010, 9:16pm

Post #11 of 146 (10140 views)
Shortcut
Jed Brophy is Nori! Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a great guy, and it's good to see a Kiwi in a prominent role.

Love all the other cast announcements, too!

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Dec 7 2010, 9:17pm)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2010, 9:20pm

Post #12 of 146 (9948 views)
Shortcut
I don't like this Drogo news... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not one for bridging the films. I personally just want The Hobbit as it is in the book, even the Necromancer is pushing it for me.

"His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh."

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 7 2010, 9:21pm

Post #13 of 146 (10101 views)
Shortcut
Gee, gee, gee! [In reply to] Can't Post

Observations

Cate back, great! I started to wonder.

McCoy looks like a good addition for Radagast

Ken Stott I have no idea of, but I'm sure he's fine.

Persbrandt as BEORN. And with PJ's comments there, wow, could definately not see this coming. But I have faith in PJ (and he has just about secured The Hobbit's sucess here in Sweden thanks to this)

But where is Sir Ian?

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

hutch
Rohan

Dec 7 2010, 9:28pm

Post #14 of 146 (9807 views)
Shortcut
i think its exciting [In reply to] Can't Post

to see unknown faces. no movie star distractions. i like being introduced to actors i never heard of from other countries. as an American i can sometimes forget that other countries have actors of their own and are as good (if not better) than our big stars here. i'm actually really glad 'Hellboy' isnt in TH.i'm sure the actors will do well and we'll get more actors and films to know as a result of being introduced to them via iconic roles.
i just love that the roles, not the actors, are what are iconic here and now (though the actors may become iconic afterwards).

(This post was edited by hutch on Dec 7 2010, 9:30pm)

nobofthepony
Lorien

Dec 7 2010, 9:30pm

Post #15 of 146 (9254 views)
Shortcut
Jed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Jed Brophy played the orc that helped Aragorn ride a warg off the cliff in TT, right??

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 7 2010, 9:32pm

Post #16 of 146 (9912 views)
Shortcut
That is correct [In reply to] Can't Post

Garfeimao
Rohan

Dec 7 2010, 9:33pm

Post #17 of 146 (10505 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Jed is a cool dude [In reply to] Can't Post

And William Kircher is also from New Zealand, while Ryan Gage is another fresh, young actor from the UK. Again with the mixing of well established names, newbies, and then some experienced actors from other countries. This is going to be another global community, how fun.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

carrioncrow
Lorien

Dec 7 2010, 9:37pm

Post #18 of 146 (11002 views)
Shortcut
All great news [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the look of the Balin actor, not as flinty as i had in mind, but definitely suitable for the company's senior member and throin's consigliere

No she-dwarves. well, that settles it . Let us proceed

(and i don't have to eat my hat over the Beorn casting. Bring on the Bees!!

duats
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2010, 9:42pm

Post #19 of 146 (10295 views)
Shortcut
Initial Reactions [In reply to] Can't Post

- I'm glad to see Cate Blanchett is returning.

- I'm disheartened by the lack of Ian McKellen.

- Other than Cate Blanchett, I am unfamiliar with all of these actors (even McCoy), so I'm once again at the mercy of Mr. Jackson until I see footage. I will say, though, that Kevin Stott looks perfect for a dwarf, and I can see Presbrandt as Beorn (though I admit to having him pegged for Thranduil). Honestly, I'm just happy that I was wrong about Radagast replacing him, so I'll give Presbrandt the benefit of the doubt.

- I personally think the inclusion of Drogo is unnecessary, so I'm not all too thrilled by that.

(This post was edited by duats on Dec 7 2010, 9:43pm)

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 7 2010, 9:59pm

Post #20 of 146 (13761 views)
Shortcut
Incredible news [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Cate would never return to Middle-earth after her three weeks of shooting in 2000... but here she is, ten years later! Beautiful. Will we see Lothlorien again? Or will we see her somewhere else this time around? What does this mean for Marton Csokas? Craig Parker?

It's also curious she is the first official returning cast member to be announced. Perhaps they're saving Ian, Andy and Hugo for last?

I think Persbrandt will be a good Beorn. Couldn't see him as Thranduil at all.

smokerings
Rivendell

Dec 7 2010, 10:05pm

Post #21 of 146 (10726 views)
Shortcut
Jed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he also played one of the ring wraiths (cloaked mind you) I believe - but yes, played the orc that took Aragorn off the cliff side.

I bet they are holding off on Ian until the last cast announcement. We shall see - but excited by the announcements!

The Party Tree
Lorien

Dec 7 2010, 10:06pm

Post #22 of 146 (11068 views)
Shortcut
Oh no. Drogo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does this mean we'll have to bring extra tissue boxes? or...

Daisy Gold
The Shire

Dec 7 2010, 10:08pm

Post #23 of 146 (11467 views)
Shortcut
Drogo... and maybe Primula? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am delighted to see 'old friends' returning. Smile
I don't mind these 'extras' being fitted into a film. The book may not have had room for extended scenes were as a film could easily accommodate them.
Drogo is interesting. I wonder if they will also cast a Primula. Maybe they are going to show something of Frodo's early years.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 7 2010, 10:08pm

Post #24 of 146 (10987 views)
Shortcut
William Kircher [In reply to] Can't Post

played Stu Guthrie in Out of the Blue - the senior policeman who was the last man shot by David Grey. He's been an actor for a long time and is very good. He's also one of those reappearing faces on NZ screens that locals recognise instantly, but can never put a name to.

They'll be able to in a couple of years now, though! :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alex Maglor
Bree

Dec 7 2010, 10:11pm

Post #25 of 146 (10554 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

Possibly a flashback scene, with Drogo and wife drowning in the river... And Bilbo adopting a young Frodo as a final "and bridge" scene...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.