Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Mikael Persbrandt in The Hobbit?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Snulle
Bree

Dec 3 2010, 8:10am

Post #1 of 78 (4038 views)
Shortcut
Mikael Persbrandt in The Hobbit? Can't Post

Hey all!

On of the Sweden's biggest newspaper has an article today saying that they got a scoop that Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt has got a role in The Hobbit.
It doesnt say which role but they are very sure about this fact.

Article is in Swedish.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/...lm/article8218240.ab

Mikael is very famous in Sweden but less known I guess in the rest of the world.
Although he is a very good actor. :-)

Cheers!
/Snulle

(This post was edited by Snulle on Dec 3 2010, 8:17am)

Vidstige
Bree

Dec 3 2010, 8:30am

Post #2 of 78 (2250 views)
Shortcut
Persbrandt [In reply to] Can't Post

Mikael Persbrandt on IMDB

The article says that the character has a "Nordic connection". I don't think he'll play one of the dwarves, as he's quite tall (1.89 m) and slim. Maybe Beorn, Thranduil or Bard...

Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya! Do you waaaaant...do you waaaaaant...to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy?

Deputy leader of The Blades of Arnor, a mature, friendly Lord of the Rings Online kinship on Snowbourn

Helmer - Man - Guardian - Explorer - Level 65
Laitainon - Elf - Lore-master - Historian - Level 65
Petur - Man - Captain - Tinker - Level 52
Xenarwen Warriorprincess - Elf - Champion - Armourer - Level 28

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Dec 3 2010, 8:34am

Post #3 of 78 (2173 views)
Shortcut
This is great news for us Swedes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oops, I made a new thread about this... didn't see this one...

From Aftonbladet:

"The Swedish actor has landed a role in the Hollywood production 'The Hobbit' based on the book 'Bilbo - en hobbits äventyr' by J R R Tolkien. Mikael Persbrandt's role in the movie is unclear, but reports indicates that his character will have a Nordic connection. Persbrandt is now going meet great Hollywood names as the actress Cate Blanchett and the director Peter Jackson, who also directed the LOTR-trilogy.
- He is really excited over this. He's looking forward to do a Hollywood movie, a source says.

According to sources, Mikael Persbrandt has already tried out clothes that may be used in the movie."

http://www.aftonbladet.se/...lm/article8218240.ab

He's almost completely unknown abroad, but he's one of Sweden's most well known, beloved and respected actors, although he's also somewhat of a bad boy.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Snulle
Bree

Dec 3 2010, 8:35am

Post #4 of 78 (2142 views)
Shortcut
Beorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the article you can read this.

"Mikael Persbrandts role in the movie in unclear, but word is that the character will have a "nordic link". "

This makes me think he will play Beorn. Beorn is pronounced "Björn" in Swedish and that is "Bear" in English.
But I guess we have to wait and see if this is true at all. Smile

(This post was edited by Snulle on Dec 3 2010, 8:36am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 3 2010, 8:43am

Post #5 of 78 (2087 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

How perfect. Think he will make a good bear?

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 3 2010, 8:43am

Post #6 of 78 (2099 views)
Shortcut
He was excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

in Jan Troell's "Everlasting Moments" just last year. Maybe he's our Bard?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 3 2010, 8:54am

Post #7 of 78 (2318 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, going by his face alone [In reply to] Can't Post

he's likely been cast as Thranduil. Although the "Nordic connection" hints at Beorn... "Beorn" is pronounced the same as "Björn" (which is more of a pun than a connection of course). I can't see this guy as Bard at all.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 3 2010, 9:07am

Post #8 of 78 (2120 views)
Shortcut
Well Beorn's house is straight out of Beowulf. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 3 2010, 9:09am

Post #9 of 78 (2040 views)
Shortcut
LOL. [In reply to] Can't Post

This. Is. Not. Expected.

Mikael Persbrandt? Wow, will pull me out of the story right there. He'll probably play Bard.

Persbrandt usually plays "tough guys" like in the series of kommisarie Beck.

Here is a clip with Persbrandt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAN6MvS91sg

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Boromir2k
Bree

Dec 3 2010, 9:17am

Post #10 of 78 (2020 views)
Shortcut
Beorn, I am guessing. [In reply to] Can't Post

The guy (Mikael P) is 190 cm tall and weighs in at 90 kg. More Beorn there than Bard, I am thinking and hoping.
The man's a great actor, no denying that. Looking forward to this...! Cool

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 3 2010, 9:18am

Post #11 of 78 (2034 views)
Shortcut
Well Beorn is as tough as they come. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't look at the clip right now as U tube is blocked here. I will check it out at home. I figured you would be excited when this popped up. Sly

Photobucket

Boromir2k
Bree

Dec 3 2010, 9:26am

Post #12 of 78 (2010 views)
Shortcut
PRetty excited, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 3 2010, 9:32am

Post #13 of 78 (1998 views)
Shortcut
Haha, I can imagine you guessing that [In reply to] Can't Post

Well my (not so) professional guess is that this is a clear lock for Bard. He's tall, he's in the right age.

And he is "tough". He always seem to play a fellow with a big mouth and a pistol close in hand.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 3 2010, 9:42am

Post #14 of 78 (1949 views)
Shortcut
By the way, if you want a full translation, just shout! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 3 2010, 9:46am

Post #15 of 78 (1967 views)
Shortcut
*SHOOOOOOOUT* [In reply to] Can't Post

*pant... gasp* Ahem... I'd like to request a full translation when you get the time (if there's anything else Hobbit-related worth translating that is) Smile

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 3 2010, 9:50am

Post #16 of 78 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Here is the "News From Bree" post from TORn's homepage [In reply to] Can't Post

Spy Tomper sends in a report that Mikael Persbrant has been cast for an unknown roll in 'The Hobbit.' The link we were sent isn't in English but our spy reports, "He is one of the best known actors in Sweden today," and "(he) is known for playing macho characters and a rather stiff way of acting." So there you go!

B.R.n
The Shire

Dec 3 2010, 9:53am

Post #17 of 78 (1916 views)
Shortcut
GKS [In reply to] Can't Post

Nordic connection could also mean the Goblin King...or Smaug?

Timbo_mbadil
Rivendell

Dec 3 2010, 9:55am

Post #18 of 78 (1990 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

I only know him from the Beck series (which is one of the few crime thingies I not only endure, but quite like), and love both his character and his work.

I don't see him as Beorn, though, whom I always figured more, well, bear-like… My guess is Bard.

Otherness represents that which bourgeois ideology cannot recognize or accept but must deal with (…)
Robin Wood 2003, p. 49. "Hollywood from Vietnam to Reagan – and beyond". Columbia University Press, New York, Chichester, West Sussex.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 3 2010, 10:00am

Post #19 of 78 (1969 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the Master of Lake-town? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Nordic" could even refer to Lake-town. I guess it depends what the filmmakers are basing Lake-town on.

ETA: Watching the clip, it looks like he could make a good Dwarf too, maybe Balin or Dain? I don't think they'll cast an almost complete unknown as Bard seeing as he's one of the lead characters. Just my thoughts.

(This post was edited by Earl on Dec 3 2010, 10:04am)

Boromir2k
Bree

Dec 3 2010, 10:08am

Post #20 of 78 (1951 views)
Shortcut
Beor or Bard, he's in! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thinking about it...I might see him as Bard too.

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Dec 3 2010, 10:20am

Post #21 of 78 (1952 views)
Shortcut
Full translation of article [In reply to] Can't Post

NÖJESBLADET REVEALS: Mikael Persbrandt is in the sequel to ”Lord of the Rings”: He is really excited
Nöjesbladet can reveal that the Swedish actor is confirmed for the Hollywood movie ”The Hobbit”.
”He’s really excited over this,” a source says.
A couple of weeks ago Nöjesbladet revealed that Mikael Persbrandt, 47, will play secret agent Carl Hamilton in a new movie based on Jan Guillou’s popular books.
Here’s the next big scoop: The Swedish actor has landed a role in the Hollywood production ”The Hobbit” based on the book ”Bilbo - en hobbits äventyr” by J R R Tolkien. Mikael Persbrandt's role in the movie is unclear, but reports indicates that his character will have a Nordic connection. Persbrandt is now going meet great Hollywood names as the actress Cate Blanchett and the director Peter Jackson, who also directed the LOTR-trilogy.
”He is really excited over this. He's looking forward to do a Hollywood movie,” a source says.
According to sources, Mikael Persbrandt has already tried out clothes that may be used in the movie. Persbrandt’s shootings will take place during a couple of weeks early next year. The movie’s premiere is in december 2012 in USA. Peter Jansson, Mikael Persbrandt’s agent, is very secretive when confronted by Nöjesbladet.
”No comments.”
Do you deny this reports?
”I have no comments.”
Jens Peterson, film critic at Nöjesbladet, has visited the set of ”The Two Towers” and ”The Fellowship of the Ring” in New Zealand. He believes that Persbrandt is up for a tough test.
”I have seen the tough and demanding world Peter Jackson creates. There will be none of the typical Hollywood conveniences,” he says.
”I must be a very special feeling to land a role in ’The Hobbit’. This will be movies that will live on for very long, and have a very high artistic level. A memorable contribution in ’The Hobbit’ will likely land Persbrandt more roles in the future. This is a unique chance,” Peterson says.
Nöjesbladet hasn’t been able to reach Persbrandt for a comment.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Mishka
The Shire

Dec 3 2010, 10:59am

Post #22 of 78 (2020 views)
Shortcut
I think he would be good for Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

He has those statuesque features that are perfect for Elves and he does look kind of arrogant and almighty. Perfect for Thranduil!
I'm dying to know who's going to play Bard!!!!

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 3 2010, 12:04pm

Post #23 of 78 (1834 views)
Shortcut
Good translation, and [In reply to] Can't Post

The essence of it all is that it's a done deal. According to Aftonbladet, that is. This report has sense in it and Jens Peterson is a huge LOTR fan and has met up with PJ plenty of times, he knows how to seperate a rumours from facts.

However since it's not officially confirmed yet, we'll just have to await the announcements. I could bet a few coins on that S. McCoy will be announced as Radagast and M.Persbrandt as Bard in a close future.

Earl - I must disagree! Bard is not a leading character, really!

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 3 2010, 12:06pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 3 2010, 12:34pm

Post #24 of 78 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn is prounced as Björn, which means Bear.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 3 2010, 12:56pm

Post #25 of 78 (1792 views)
Shortcut
By leading character, I meant... [In reply to] Can't Post

... someone along the lines of Aragorn, the "human hero" of the story, who has (or will have seeing as there's two films) a well-defined and developed character arc as opposed to other characters on the sidelines.

I'm still holding out for Michael Fassbender in the role of Bard Evil

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.