Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sylvester is Radagast - Just not official yet...

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 30 2010, 7:22am

Post #1 of 23 (1793 views)
Shortcut
Sylvester is Radagast - Just not official yet... Can't Post

The BBC has a great interview with actor Sylvester McCoy today that, again, confirms his role as Radagast the Brown in the upcoming Hobbit Films. We are pasting the relevant parts below, but make sure you check out the full interview with some other juicy tidbits at the BBC site.
With the internet awash with casting rumours, how much can McCoy actually say? After all, his role has not been officially announced.

Sylvester McCoy played the Doctor on TV from 1987 to 1989. "I can't say anything! I don't even know if I've said too much already," he admits.

"I've already got my wrist gently tapped. I just want to tell the world about it... I know it's all bubbling away and plans are being made." McCoy is no stranger to Peter Jackson. He was down to the last two for the role of Bilbo Baggins in Lord of the Rings.

"The other actor got it, and that was Ian Holm," says McCoy. How does he feel about just missing out on such a major part?

"In a way you think, what a pity Ian Holm wasn't working that week," he says wistfully.

"But at the same time it was an honour to be up against Ian. He won, and he's a brilliant actor.

"As an actor this happens all the time. You never know which way things go."

That also holds true for the Hobbit's drawn-out casting process. "When they sent out the character description for the part I'm playing, it says he's between 57 and 75.

"When it started out I was 57, but it's taken so long to get to fruition I'm now 75!" (Not so - he is actually 67.)

This reporter's amateur take? The reason Sylvester has not been officially announced has more to do with adapting The Hobbit for screen and storytelling liberties, than something contract related...but I could be wrong! Afterall, we do already know that Radagast plays no major role in The Hobbit, but his role in the films is rumored to be significant. We are all looking forward to Sylvester and Sir Ian official announcements any day!

[Read On]
(Thanks to Michael from DeHobbit.net for sending us this link.)

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Nov 30 2010, 7:03pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2010, 12:51pm

Post #2 of 23 (1079 views)
Shortcut
Woot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Chris you're awesome... you always put up the most amazing stories.

This ol' chap is SO lovable I just know I'm going to love him as the old wizard Radagast Cool

xy
Rohan

Nov 30 2010, 3:00pm

Post #3 of 23 (1082 views)
Shortcut
"his role in the films is rumored to be significant" [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds more than Radagast just popping up for a moment during Bilbo's adventure...just what will the nature-loving Istari be doing in the movies ?

Being a part of the White Council ? Helping Bilbo & Co. along their journey, perhaps in Mirkwood ? Espionage around Dol Guldur ?

Hamfast
Rohan

Nov 30 2010, 3:14pm

Post #4 of 23 (1111 views)
Shortcut
I get the feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ and co. are going to give the fans a holiday gift to hold us over until shooting begins. The gift will be the announcement of several cast members. I wager Gandalf, Radagast, and Saruman. I forsee a press conference announcing all the wizards at one time. At least that's what my crystal ball told me....

Garfeimao
Rohan

Nov 30 2010, 6:51pm

Post #5 of 23 (1005 views)
Shortcut
As long as it's not a Palantir [In reply to] Can't Post

Crystal ball good, Palantir not so much.

And I like the idea of announcing all the Wizards together, that would be very cool.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 30 2010, 8:11pm

Post #6 of 23 (998 views)
Shortcut
Saruman? [In reply to] Can't Post

I dread this announcement, because it won't be C. Lee Unsure

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 30 2010, 8:21pm

Post #7 of 23 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Why [In reply to] Can't Post

did you think that. I am hopeful that he can still appear in this film.

carrioncrow
Lorien

Nov 30 2010, 11:17pm

Post #8 of 23 (940 views)
Shortcut
rumors [In reply to] Can't Post

the fact that Radagast appears at all is significant in that he doesn't figure in the book.

there's no certainty yet that (1) Radagast will be in the films, or (2) Radagast will be a speaking role or anything more than something like the Dwarven Kings in the FOTR prologue, or (3) that this fellow will win the role (he certainly seems to be flapping his gums out of turn)

carrioncrow
Lorien

Nov 30 2010, 11:25pm

Post #9 of 23 (949 views)
Shortcut
the world... [In reply to] Can't Post

for the most part, does not care.

press release, maybe. press conference? whu? what would be the point?

get on with it already

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 30 2010, 11:30pm

Post #10 of 23 (940 views)
Shortcut
Time waits for no man. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Lee could still have some involvement. We will find out soon.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

stormcrow20
Gondor

Dec 1 2010, 1:01am

Post #11 of 23 (920 views)
Shortcut
I like him. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sylvester McCoy was previously unknown to me, but after watching a couple of interviews on Youtube (mainly this one), so far I like him. He is quirky and eccentric (and rather hobbity), and I think that will work great for Radagast the Brown. I just hope the writers don't cross the line between "eccentric" and "bumbling".

Mr. McCoy seems to have a quick wit, and he is very expressive with his eyebrows. I think these traits should also lend well to his performance as the nature-loving wizard. On top of all that, he has worked with Ian McKellen before, which will hopefully lead to some very interesting interactions. And his excitement for the part is definitely a good sign! As long as Radagast is handled well in the script, I would say that the character is in capable hands. This is getting exciting!

A greenlight from the shadows shall spring!

Pete
Bree

Dec 1 2010, 4:29am

Post #12 of 23 (928 views)
Shortcut
I can already picture him as Radagast, in fact... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I just Photoshopped his face onto the body of the LOTR TCG Radagast. Enjoy!

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2010, 9:11am

Post #13 of 23 (836 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2010, 9:17am

Post #14 of 23 (856 views)
Shortcut
Great!... And what about him [In reply to] Can't Post

as the butterfly who comes to Gandalf a few times as a 'messenger' in LotR?...! He was supposed to have the abilities of a shapeshifter, wasn't he?!...Angelic

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2010, 9:21am

Post #15 of 23 (860 views)
Shortcut
He still can play the part, [In reply to] Can't Post

if he doesn't have to travel far, or at all, to get to the studio where that part will be shot. I'm sure PJ & Co are finding the way to have him in.

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Dec 1 2010, 9:22am)

Lausus
Bree

Dec 1 2010, 6:16pm

Post #16 of 23 (849 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Lee should be Saruman again, but apparently won't [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qGFbBNnodw

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2010, 7:38pm

Post #17 of 23 (821 views)
Shortcut
That video [In reply to] Can't Post

is pretty old, and a lot of things have changed since then. On an IGN interview from the same year, he said he'd love to reprise the role of Saruman if they could work out a way for him to film his scenes in a London studio.

Lausus
Bree

Dec 1 2010, 7:39pm

Post #18 of 23 (831 views)
Shortcut
In that case [In reply to] Can't Post

You've just made me tap-dancingly happy that there's hope for more Christopher Lee Saruman!

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2010, 8:01pm

Post #19 of 23 (818 views)
Shortcut
Here are the relevant parts of the interview [In reply to] Can't Post

You can read the rest of it here. And it's actually from February 2009, which is about six months after the video interview you posted was recorded. This interview (as well as the other one) was conducted before the 'bridge film' idea was scrapped.

IGN: Will you be reprising your role as Saruman in The Hobbit or the follow-up film that links it to Lord of the Rings?
Lee: I've heard Ian McKellen has agreed to play Gandalf again in The Hobbit. But my character doesn't appear [in the book] at all. But then again you never know. They might suddenly put in the council of the wizards. I have no idea. Nobody has approached me and as for this mysterious other film, is it supposed to take place before The Hobbit, after The Hobbit, before Lord of the Rings?

IGN: It's supposed to link the events of The Hobbit with those of Lord of the Rings. As a Tolkien expert you might be a good person to have on set...
Lee: Well, yes, because you have to remember that they're thousands of years old these wizards. It might be the time when Saruman the White was the head of the council and was a decent, noble, marvellous person. They might show him in that light because it was never explained why he suddenly turns.

IGN: Would you be willing to reprise the role?
Lee: In the spirit very much so. But I've reached an age now [86] where going to New Zealand again would be a very considerable effort. It would not be easy because it's an exhausting journey. Even with a break I'm not sure I could do it.

IGN: If they could film your part in London, would you be interested?
Lee: Oh yes, of course. I'd be delighted.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2010, 5:05am

Post #20 of 23 (788 views)
Shortcut
That's what I understood too.// [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2010, 5:07am

Post #21 of 23 (829 views)
Shortcut
There!... Great answers! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Gryffindorfan687

Dec 3 2010, 8:23pm

Post #22 of 23 (755 views)
Shortcut
I think it's good casting [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds great to me. Although IMDb has David Tennant in the casting list, just rumored but still there. It would be a little too much Doctor Who if they were both in the movie. Not that I'd complain. Smile

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 4 2010, 10:35am

Post #23 of 23 (764 views)
Shortcut
Such an underrated actor [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully they didn't change their minds about him playing the part or cut Radagast out of the script, I cannot wait to see McKellen and McCoy together in this movie.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.