Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Are you already into Blu-Ray?
Poll: Are you already into Blu-Ray?
Yes
No
I'm waiting on a specific disc before I go Blu
Not the least bit interested in high definition
I would be, but my wallet says nay, nay, nay
View Results (32 votes)

Patty
Immortal

Nov 23 2010, 8:49pm

Post #1 of 15 (320 views)
Shortcut
Are you already into Blu-Ray? Can't Post

Have you taken the plunge into high definition for home video yet?

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2010, 8:53pm

Post #2 of 15 (215 views)
Shortcut
The lord of the lash says nay,nay,nay [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks cool, but I'll stick to my DVD for a few more years, blue-ray is a bit too expensive now for me to completely swap my whole dvd-collection to bluray.

Patty
Immortal

Nov 23 2010, 9:19pm

Post #3 of 15 (190 views)
Shortcut
I only swap out movies that I adore... [In reply to] Can't Post

like Babe, and Pride and Prejudice, and, ultimately LotR. Oh, and The Fifth Element.Blush

I don't already have The Birds, so I will buy it when it comes out.

But inasmuch as you can play your dvds on the blu-ray player too that helps.

The Party Tree
Lorien

Nov 24 2010, 1:39am

Post #4 of 15 (262 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure the blu-ray player makes DVDs look better, too.

Patty
Immortal

Nov 24 2010, 7:08am

Post #5 of 15 (265 views)
Shortcut
It's supposed to. I wouldn't know because... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't play my dvds on the blu-ray player. I won't shorten it's usable life with dvds--I play them on the dvd player.

I would guess that how much better they look would still be very dependent on how good the source dvd looks, though, and some are definitely better than others.

the_argonath
Lorien

Nov 24 2010, 1:27pm

Post #6 of 15 (193 views)
Shortcut
I would... but [In reply to] Can't Post

My parents refuse to buy one yet. But they've just got Sky HD (like American Cable TV I think) so I'm edging a little closer! Although I have a large DVD collection so it would be a shame to render it obsolete in favour of new blu-rays Frown I may just buy a PS3 and kill 2 birds with one stone.... Wink

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2010, 2:34pm

Post #7 of 15 (191 views)
Shortcut
So pretty... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got myself a blu-ray, and some discs. It's a nice little treat, but yes, the price range does limit me to just the movies I love.

Oh, and combo packs are great as well. Wink

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Nov 24 2010, 2:34pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2010, 5:23pm

Post #8 of 15 (160 views)
Shortcut
Hi-Def yes, Blu-ray no.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a hi-def television and hi-def television package.....but no blu-ray player.....

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 24 2010, 8:10pm

Post #9 of 15 (153 views)
Shortcut
I bought a Blue Ray player [In reply to] Can't Post

a year ago because it would stream Netflix. I did not have a BR disk until my son bought Batman The Dark night. I did find the Blue Ray LotR Trilogy at Half price Books the other day. It is in the library with the rest. I woul not say I wa into Blue Ray.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 24 2010, 8:29pm

Post #10 of 15 (200 views)
Shortcut
my problem is the cost would be for more than the discs and the player [In reply to] Can't Post

since we're still working off an older tv we need a converter box. That, along with all the other devices we have plugged in do not allow for the addition of a blu ray player. There are no more places to plug things into the wall or the tv.

I don't buy high ticket items without much thought but with the current economy, there is no way I could ditch and replace a large tv (very large, rear projection) and dvd player (which is also the converter box) to get blu ray.

I suspect, by time we find we have to replace the tv, technology will have moved to some new realm.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Nov 25 2010, 2:10pm

Post #11 of 15 (226 views)
Shortcut
I suppose it's just me [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can't get past the dorky name. Blu-ray sounds like some kind of Flash Gordon weapon to me...

Tongue

We get hi-def TV, which I like. But we don't watch that many DVDs anyway, so I don't see us buying a hi-def player until our regular DVD player needs replacing.

Hamfast
Rohan

Nov 26 2010, 6:22pm

Post #12 of 15 (181 views)
Shortcut
I saved for one year. [In reply to] Can't Post

And used all of this year's tax return to upgrade my technology. I bought a new 21" inch screen iMac that is a beast. As well as a Sony Bravia 40" LCD 120hz HDTV. And a PS3 for the blu-ray, dvd ,and gaming experience.Now I am knee deep in upgrading my favorite dvd's to blu....not all titles are available yet though, like The Big Lebowski, or Manhattan, or LOTR EE's Frown

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2010, 1:57am

Post #13 of 15 (118 views)
Shortcut
maybe when LotR EE comes out [In reply to] Can't Post

which could be long enough that I'd be out of college (at least undergrad) and have the money to... who am I kidding, I'll be in college for a looooong time and college students don't have the money to buy blu-ray players Tongue

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 4 2010, 9:47am

Post #14 of 15 (113 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. When EE bluray is here, I'll be tempted. // [In reply to] Can't Post

mykonos
Bree

Dec 9 2010, 6:57pm

Post #15 of 15 (130 views)
Shortcut
mmmm hi-def [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm into anyway hi-def and would love to get into blu-ray. But I wont be able to afford it for 6 months to a year.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.