Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sir Ian McKellen.

Mole
The Shire

Nov 19 2010, 8:45pm

Post #1 of 19 (1008 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ian McKellen. Can't Post

Hi guys,

I just spoke to a fellow PGCE student who told me that Sir Ian McKellen came in to his placement school (Bristol) in order to do a talk on homophobia. I'm very jealous and that he got to meet him. I almost immediately asked him if anybody questioned him about the Hobbit and specifically whether he was doing it. I was delighted when he told me that Sir Ian's reply was; "I'm doing it...we start filming in February". So that's good enough for me. My colleague has no reason to make this sort of thing up and he's not that sort of chap anyhow. In addition i'm told that he spoke very well, was funny and managed to skirt round some awkward questions. My friend said that it was very positive as many of the children were not accepting of gay people, yet some attitudes were changed or mellowed at least. He also said that he was surprised at how "doddery" he looked when walking..."as you don't think of him like that" were his words.

That's all folks. So the main man will play Gandalf the Grey for sure, wahoo!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 19 2010, 9:20pm

Post #2 of 19 (477 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't really terribly worried about Sir Ian's participation, but his most recent comments were so noncommittal. It's nice to have news of a firm confirmation that he is doing it. I can't imagine that it will be long before we have official confirmation if he is publicly stating it himself.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

DiveTwin
Rohan

Nov 19 2010, 9:56pm

Post #3 of 19 (401 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dying to see some official notification on this; waiting on his as well as the other folks on the "we need back" list ...

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 19 2010, 11:14pm

Post #4 of 19 (372 views)
Shortcut
Good stuff! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 19 2010, 11:44pm

Post #5 of 19 (339 views)
Shortcut
Now the doubters can take a deep breath and sigh.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2010, 12:22am

Post #6 of 19 (346 views)
Shortcut
Great news! Thanks for the post.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2010, 12:33am

Post #7 of 19 (398 views)
Shortcut
Looking doddery.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"he was surprised at how "doddery" he looked when walking"

Hmm, not a good sign, but I did not notice weakness in the Khazad-dum stage clip....hopefully he is healthy enough for whatever action he as coming his way.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 1:10am

Post #8 of 19 (397 views)
Shortcut
He Has No Real Battles [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Hobbit the only fighting he has is at the end at The Battle of Five Armies I think.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2010, 3:32am

Post #9 of 19 (345 views)
Shortcut
No real battles? [In reply to] Can't Post

From "Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire"
"Good heavens! Can you ask! Goblins fighting and biting in the dark, everybody falling over bodies and hitting one another! You nearly chopped off my head with Glamdring, and Thorin was stabbing here and there and everywhere with Orcrist." (Dori to Gandalf)

And don't forget that when the Wargs attacked later in that chapter, Gandalf climbed a tall tree and lobbed burning pine cones at the wolves, and was on the verge of a kamikaze leap when the Eagles came. I'm not saying that Sir Ian can't do it, just that it won't be a walk in the park.

Where's Frodo?

(This post was edited by Finding Frodo on Nov 20 2010, 3:34am)

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 4:41am

Post #10 of 19 (315 views)
Shortcut
Stunt Man [In reply to] Can't Post

Lets not not forget digital doubles and stunt men were used in rings and likely will be for the Hobbit as well. I do suppose that Gandalf The Grey did have things to do but not as a Battle General as Gandalf The White but then again Gandalf the Grey did kill a Balrog

Nimloth
Lorien

Nov 20 2010, 4:41am

Post #11 of 19 (306 views)
Shortcut
Good news indeed!// [In reply to] Can't Post

StarElf
Rohan

Nov 20 2010, 7:21am

Post #12 of 19 (297 views)
Shortcut
Good, good.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Things can always change (Heaven forbid!), but it's a relief when things we look forward to are made official. Smile Sir Ian WAS Gandalf.

mulubinba
Rivendell

Nov 20 2010, 9:20am

Post #13 of 19 (263 views)
Shortcut
Thanks!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great news - thanks for sharing. Smile

Silmaril
Lorien

Nov 20 2010, 4:50pm

Post #14 of 19 (230 views)
Shortcut
great! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks a lot.

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Nov 20 2010, 8:35pm

Post #15 of 19 (219 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Things can always change (Heaven forbid!), but it's a relief when things we look forward to are made official. Smile Sir Ian WAS Gandalf.

No, he IS Gandalf! Wink

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Glaurung63
Lorien

Nov 21 2010, 10:41pm

Post #16 of 19 (149 views)
Shortcut
nice [In reply to] Can't Post

great news and Sir Ian is awesome for addressing tolerance of others at your school....

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Nov 23 2010, 6:23pm

Post #17 of 19 (135 views)
Shortcut
GREAT news [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks so much for sharing Wink

Mole
The Shire

Apr 12 2011, 8:35am

Post #18 of 19 (46 views)
Shortcut
Here is a link about his work [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.guardian.co.uk/...r-schools?CMP=twt_fd

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Apr 12 2011, 8:27pm

Post #19 of 19 (68 views)
Shortcut
This is just a theory,but... [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps Ian Mckellen is back in the UK to also film scenes with Christoper Lee? Andy Serkis opened his own mo-cap studio, and since he is going to be a second unit director, maybe they will use his studio to do some green/blue screen scenes. http://www.theimaginariumstudio.com/

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.