Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Howard Shore Going There... Back Again
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 18 2010, 4:22am

Post #1 of 67 (1492 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore Going There... Back Again Can't Post

Ahead of next week's performance of The Lord of the Rings Symphony in Vancouver, Canada, the guys over at The Province snagged an interview with Howard Shore and asked him about whether he'll be returning to Middle-earth to score the upcoming Hobbit films. And for fans of the outstanding music Shore's composed for The Lord of the Rings films his reply should serve to satiate sufficiently... at least until the score itself finally debuts a couple years from now.
"We've talked about making these movies for many years, at least since 2002. It looks like finally it's going to be happening. I'll be working on it for the next three years -- it's going to consume a lot of my time and work now."

Read the entire interview over at The Province.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Nov 18 2010, 12:31pm)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18 2010, 9:51am

Post #2 of 67 (679 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a happy hobbit.

Of course we already knew he would be back thanks to Doug Adams. But to hear it from Howard Shore himself is even better!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18 2010, 9:55am

Post #3 of 67 (641 views)
Shortcut
Yeah me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just yesterday checking out the website for the new Harry Potter soundtrack, complete with limited edition releases and all, and I literally, and I mean LITERALLY, got a chill down my spine thinking about what the soundtrack for The Hobbit, its website, its limited/regular/extended editions, etc., would be like Cool

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 18 2010, 10:49am

Post #4 of 67 (617 views)
Shortcut
And me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The music he wrote for the previous films is so good. Can't wait.... Will jolly well have to wait! Wink

Bexlin
Rivendell

Nov 18 2010, 11:59am

Post #5 of 67 (591 views)
Shortcut
Was fairly sure he'd be there... [In reply to] Can't Post

BUT so great to hear it confirmed!! Yay! I so love the LOTR soundtrack and hope for more beautiful music for the Hobbit.

sphdle1
Gondor

Nov 18 2010, 12:13pm

Post #6 of 67 (597 views)
Shortcut
Awesome news... [In reply to] Can't Post

& no more discussions on who will compose it if he couldn't Cool

Silmaril
Lorien

Nov 18 2010, 12:37pm

Post #7 of 67 (606 views)
Shortcut
howard shore's music is a very important element of the films! [In reply to] Can't Post

i cannot imagine anyone else doing this!

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2010, 12:42pm

Post #8 of 67 (604 views)
Shortcut
hadn't Howard talked about it last year in NYC, as well? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know he's mentioned it more than once in interviews. It's just always easier for me to track down Doug's comments to quote than it is Howard's.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ June 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Huan71
Lorien

Nov 18 2010, 12:45pm

Post #9 of 67 (602 views)
Shortcut
No argument there ! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i cannot imagine anyone else doing this!

I think that's one thing EVERYONE can agree on! Wink

New Zealand,
Home to the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Movies...

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18 2010, 12:56pm

Post #10 of 67 (625 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, you've posted Doug's comments about the same here as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'm sure of that Smile

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2010, 2:05pm

Post #11 of 67 (580 views)
Shortcut
I can. [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore is the perfect choice and I certainly want him to score The Hobbit, but the films wouldn't be destroyed if he didn't. There are plenty of other great composers out there. John Williams comes to mind, as does Hans Zimmer.

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 18 2010, 2:12pm

Post #12 of 67 (590 views)
Shortcut
Let's just say [In reply to] Can't Post

nobody can do it like Howard Shore can. And his way is the right way. As amazing as some other composers are, they just aren't right for these movies.

B.R.n
The Shire

Nov 18 2010, 2:22pm

Post #13 of 67 (605 views)
Shortcut
King Kong, anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

Again, you are all assuming what it is only a possibility.What about the story surrounding the film soundtrack of King Kong?Didn't SPJ and Shore have some kind of fall out on that occasion?

(This post was edited by B.R.n on Nov 18 2010, 2:29pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 18 2010, 2:34pm

Post #14 of 67 (576 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore and PJ had a falling out. It was more of a studio choice to get a new composer. Besides, In the interview Shore said he was coming back for the Hobbit, and we all know that Shore was probably the most reluctant of all to leave 'Middle-earth.' So he is probably one of the most excited to return.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2010, 2:35pm

Post #15 of 67 (580 views)
Shortcut
a bus could fall on his head, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's life. Full of unexpected possibilties

But what we are discussing is: Is Howard Shore scoring the Hobbit.

And the answer to that is: Yes.

I don't think the fact that he was replaced on King Kong is going to factor in here. If it were, it would have already. One does not go... 'gee... I liked this guy for LOTR but it didn't work for KK. I'm not sure if he's right for TH but let's try him'. If one had doubts, one would not - for a movie this size - take on a risky venture.

I think the fact that Shore was replaced on KK and still asked back for TH means they are even more convinced he's right for the job. I also things it makes for a better movie since they are clearly going for continuity between TH and LOTR. And I don't think there is any bad blood between them and the idea that there is has been repeatedly denied by Shore and his associates.

Again, you are all assuming what is is only a possibility.

We're not assuming anything. It is confirmed. If you want to take the slim possibility that he would replaced on the project as evidence that his scoring is 'only a possibility' than we have to say that about every person involved. Any one of them could get ill or injured or have a family emergency or be determined to be too young for the part. But we don't label their involvement as 'only a possibility'. They are involved. Tomorrow, they may not be.

Shore is involved and scoring. :-)

btw: I don't think PJ & HS had a falling out over KK. His replacement was a creative choice. "Falling out" is a quarrel, a disagreement, a fight... they didn't do that. They just determined that Shore's approach was not what the movie needed.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2010, 2:39pm

Post #16 of 67 (623 views)
Shortcut
Well, not everyone agrees :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I once said, 'It seemed like Tolkien fans ruled the world' because, when one spends time with like minded people, we feel the strength of numbers.

Most people hanging in places that discuss the LOTR tend to be skewed with people who liked Shore. And Shore fans are particularly loyal and avid.

But not everyone thinks Shore was the best choice. I've seen plenty of fans who still maintain that someone else could have done it better and/or that Shore fell short of their expectations.

So, "a LOT of us" can agree, perhaps. But not "EVERYONE". :-)

Slayer_Of_Orcs
The Shire

Nov 18 2010, 3:06pm

Post #17 of 67 (543 views)
Shortcut
Yesssssss [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been waiting for some sort of confirmation on this. I was afraid that he would not be the composer. It is getting better every day.

We are waiting ...

Slayer_Of_Orcs
The Shire

Nov 18 2010, 3:22pm

Post #18 of 67 (563 views)
Shortcut
LOTR fans ... at least the fans of the movies ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... have a large emotional investment in the trilogy and those involved in its creation. I can see how some might view any variance from a desired path as a "falling out". I too have been wary of any issues that might deviate from the path that I would like to see The Hobbit take in its evolution.

We are waiting ...

Hamfast
Rohan

Nov 18 2010, 3:26pm

Post #19 of 67 (561 views)
Shortcut
I am delighted to hear this news. [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally believe the LOTR soundtracks are the best in film history. I think it is very important to have connective threads to LOTR in The Hobbit, and this is the most important one other than Ian Mckellan. Great news on a thursday morning !

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 18 2010, 4:15pm

Post #20 of 67 (524 views)
Shortcut
Great. I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

Shore gets more time now so he can write the score in peace... remember during ROTK he had a huge task in very little time!

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 18 2010, 4:15pm

Post #21 of 67 (541 views)
Shortcut
Zimmer [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be devastated if Shore would have been lost but, Zimmer would have been my number one replacement.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

B.R.n
The Shire

Nov 18 2010, 4:22pm

Post #22 of 67 (546 views)
Shortcut
David Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

Meh, my vote goes to David Holmes and a jazztronica musical interpretation of The Hobbit >:)

Silmaril
Lorien

Nov 18 2010, 4:30pm

Post #23 of 67 (531 views)
Shortcut
king kong was something different. [In reply to] Can't Post

they had different opinions how the king kong score should sound, this will not happen in this case, that's for sure.

Silmaril
Lorien

Nov 18 2010, 4:34pm

Post #24 of 67 (529 views)
Shortcut
Summoning [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Meh, my vote goes to David Holmes and a jazztronica musical interpretation of The Hobbit >:)

i think there are a lot of black metal fans who want summoning to do that soundtrack.

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Nov 18 2010, 4:35pm)

B.R.n
The Shire

Nov 18 2010, 4:35pm

Post #25 of 67 (532 views)
Shortcut
^&%^&%^&% [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously now, I'm afraid that too many members of the former LOTR crew might feel overconfident about making this film, mainly because of the trilogy's success.And in this case lightning never strikes twice in the same spot.Do I hear Razzie nominations?

Since the news confirmed that The Hobbit stays in NZ, I had 2 ill-fated dreams:one in which the final product looked like a silly digital cartoonish version of Avatar spliced with Beowulf;the second one featured myself on The Hobbit's set while finding out that the production was cancelled(Martin Freeman was there too) .I just can't stop thinking that this flilm will hit the floor(is that an idiom?).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.