Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who Should Play Balin
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 18 2010, 6:35am

Post #1 of 26 (776 views)
Shortcut
Who Should Play Balin Can't Post

I think it should be people known but maybe not a mega star. I think how Pete cast LOTR worked pefectly and thats why trust him in his unknown cast so far but a couple.

Here are my top 3 choices.

1 Kevin McNally.
2 JK Simmons.
3 Ray Stevenson.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 18 2010, 9:13am

Post #2 of 26 (352 views)
Shortcut
Sam Neill would be perfect as Balin.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Patty
Immortal

Nov 18 2010, 9:39am

Post #3 of 26 (357 views)
Shortcut
Pete Postlethwaite.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, I wish he could be SOMEBODY in this movie.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

PettyMim
Rivendell

Nov 18 2010, 10:04am

Post #4 of 26 (363 views)
Shortcut
Two words - "Gordon's Alive!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

Garlic Bread?!

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 18 2010, 10:51am

Post #5 of 26 (341 views)
Shortcut
Master of Laketown? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but I couldn't cope with him as a goody. I'd always be thinking of Sergeant Hakeswill.....

DrDeath153
Lorien

Nov 18 2010, 11:53am

Post #6 of 26 (352 views)
Shortcut
Personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd go for Bill Bailey. I think he's almost owed a part in this film, and seeing as age and authority have been practically thrown out the window in the casting of the dwarves i see no reason why he shouldn't play Balin. He also has the benefit of being part of the 'clique' of actors which Martin Freeman belongs so while i can't be 100% sure that they're good mates at least they have met and know each other's styles.

To the person who said they couldn't see Pete Poselthwaite in a non-villainous role- isn't that pretty much the greatest insult to an actor's ability? While every major actor has a role that cast's a long shadow, any actor worth their salt can at least modify it. I mean it's not like you can sit there and say 'Oh, well Laurence Olivier pretty much was doomed for me after Richard III' or 'Ian McKellen will never be anyone other than Max in Bent, it was just definitive'. How many careers of the greats would be kept forever in that bonsai state if everyone refused to suspend their disbelief that an actor can play more than one role?! It'd be tragic!Tongue

Dr Death

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2010, 12:38pm

Post #7 of 26 (332 views)
Shortcut
Pete Poselthwaite has played [In reply to] Can't Post

many non-villainous characters, including his roles in The Lost World, Alien 3, The Constant Gardner and Clash of the Titans...

BTW, not sure why Bill Bailey is owed a role? Although I agree that the casting of the Dwarves has been highly eclectic...

Anyhoo, I assume that this is the role Michael Fassbender may be in negotiations for, (if not for Bard). Sam Neill would be a pretty good fit, though, except I doubt they'd cast a better-known actor as Balin than the one playing Thorin...

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2010, 2:01pm

Post #8 of 26 (346 views)
Shortcut
Stephen Fry or Bill Bailey would be good. [In reply to] Can't Post

The actor who plays Balin needs to be very likeable to maximise the effectiveness of Bilbo's friendship and the Chamber of Mazarbul scene.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 18 2010, 2:13pm

Post #9 of 26 (317 views)
Shortcut
Since I'm the only person who seems to have said that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... about Pete Postlethwaite, could I just say I'm sorry. No insult was intended, to him, to his ability or to you, but that's just how I feel about it. As soon as his name's mentioned I see and hear the truly loathsome Sergeant Hakeswill (and maybe that's a tribute to his acting ability, that he played that part so well.... Also to the fact that he has a very distinctive face and voice.) I must have seen him in other parts but I don't remember them.

Perhaps I should wish they'd cast him as Balin, so he can prove me wrong! Wink

Patty
Immortal

Nov 18 2010, 4:45pm

Post #10 of 26 (293 views)
Shortcut
Pete has been a villian and a goody too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think of him in Dragonheart and Aeon Flux and also Martin Chuzzlewit. But I agree, if an actor has been very powerful in a role that makes a particular impression on you, it's not at all unusual to have crossover baggage when you see him in something else. Happens to me all the time, that's why I'm avoiding "Sherlock" until after I see Freeman in "The Hobbit". That may not be fair, but sometimes that's just the way the mind works. I don't think it's an insult to his acting ability at all.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 18 2010, 5:34pm

Post #11 of 26 (259 views)
Shortcut
He was Also In [In reply to] Can't Post

Pete was in Clash Of The Titans and Soloman Kane resently. Love the guy he is great. I see him as a Lake Town citizen more so then a Dwarf

Garfeimao
Rohan

Nov 18 2010, 8:48pm

Post #12 of 26 (231 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Pete is tall enough to be a dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

He's not a tall actor, and I think they at least want either a little girth on the dwarves, or athletic broad shoulders, and neither description fits Pete Postelthwaite. BTW, I adore him, he does good guy and thug really well, thinking of both In the Name of the Father and the recent The Town here at the moment.

And I'm rather addicted to Sherlock at the moment. It only took Martin about 30 seconds to win me over as Dr. Watson, really stunning performance. I started watching the beginnings of the DVD last night and saw part of the Making of special, so it's really nice hearing him talk about the process of casting and acting and working with fellow actors.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

sharku
Rivendell

Nov 18 2010, 11:31pm

Post #13 of 26 (221 views)
Shortcut
My vote [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be for Brian Blessed, just because I want to see him as something in The Hobbit... and he'd make a particularly good Dwarf (or Beorn).

He also has the sort of booming voice that John Rhys Davies has, and they are meant to be cousins after all (Balin and Gimli that is, not Brian Blessed and JRD!).

Otherwise Bill Bailey could be good.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 19 2010, 12:04am

Post #14 of 26 (205 views)
Shortcut
He was Oscar-nominated for playing a decent man. [In reply to] Can't Post

Postlethwaite's only Academy Award nomination came for playing Giuseppe Conlon in In the Name of the Father (1993) with Daniel Day-Lewis.
It's a first-rate film.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkienís life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 19 2010, 12:20am

Post #15 of 26 (193 views)
Shortcut
Peter Poselthwaite just is not Balin. [In reply to] Can't Post

He might make a good Dwarf but Balin is a very special Dwarf. Someone of a gentler nature. That Is why I nominated Mr. Neill.

Photobucket

Empedocles
Rivendell

Nov 19 2010, 12:22am

Post #16 of 26 (192 views)
Shortcut
Still going with Brendan Gleeson [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, give us back Glorfindel!!!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 19 2010, 12:33am

Post #17 of 26 (189 views)
Shortcut
As long as he wears that wild eye thingy, I am for it.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Nov 19 2010, 12:34am)

Patty
Immortal

Nov 19 2010, 7:57am

Post #18 of 26 (164 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough, although I think he could do it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Master of Laketown then, please PJ!

Kangi, as you are a Sam Neil fan, catch Dean Spandley if you get the chance. He thinks he's a reincarnated dog it this, and though the movie is a mild comedy, his dog "past" is not played for laughs. He was great in it. But you'll probably have to snag a region 2 dvd player to see it.

sticklebat
Lorien

Nov 19 2010, 12:02pm

Post #19 of 26 (170 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

Postlethwaite doesnt strike me as Balin at all...hes been in literally dozens upoon dozens of similarly cast roles in similarly genre'd films.

Hes a good choice for characters in these types of films & obviously a lot of people have realised this & already tapped into that time & time again...itd be kind of too expected & just that...too obvious.

I dont see him as a Dwarf in The Hobbit.

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

smokerings
Rivendell

Nov 19 2010, 8:20pm

Post #20 of 26 (157 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Postlethwaite doesnt strike me as Balin at all...hes been in literally dozens upoon dozens of similarly cast roles in similarly genre'd films. Hes a good choice for characters in these types of films & obviously a lot of people have realised this & already tapped into that time & time again...itd be kind of too expected & just that...too obvious. I dont see him as a Dwarf in The Hobbit.

He is pretty damn close.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 19 2010, 9:54pm)

carrioncrow
Lorien

Nov 20 2010, 12:00am

Post #21 of 26 (131 views)
Shortcut
old and bad-a** [In reply to] Can't Post

There are plenty of ways to go with it.

Sean Connery could work.
what is Jean Paul Belmondo up to?
Harrison Ford?
Robert Forster

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Nov 20 2010, 2:42am)

merlwynd
Rivendell

Nov 20 2010, 9:23am

Post #22 of 26 (93 views)
Shortcut
i know... [In reply to] Can't Post

...what about jack thompson????? maybe rusty crowe as bard????

MERLWYND
Bard's case to Thorin

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Nov 21 2010, 7:59am

Post #23 of 26 (61 views)
Shortcut
Not Sean Connery... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's become too much of a joke.

I want someone I can take seriously like Sam Neill.

merlwynd
Rivendell

Nov 21 2010, 9:45am

Post #24 of 26 (59 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

mr neill would be very good indeed. So long as he dances with an orangutang like he does on an aussie red meat commercial then I vote for him!

MERLWYND
Bard's case to Thorin

merlwynd
Rivendell

Nov 21 2010, 9:46am

Post #25 of 26 (75 views)
Shortcut
he looks a bit nuts in this pic [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps he would have made a great tom bombadil

MERLWYND
Bard's case to Thorin

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.