Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Trolls Turning To Stone Effects
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Nov 15 2010, 12:50am

Post #1 of 58 (883 views)
Shortcut
Trolls Turning To Stone Effects Can't Post

Since the trolls turned to stone when the sun came up do you think there should be some lighting effect that makes the end of the tension of almost being caught and killed on the end of the dwarves and Bilbo more climactic? Or do you think that it is good enough without any special additions? Discuss.

If our honorable friend continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel for objections he is in danger of getting splinters under his nails.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 15 2010, 12:53am

Post #2 of 58 (447 views)
Shortcut
Like a "POOF" they are stone? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Nov 15 2010, 1:30am

Post #3 of 58 (444 views)
Shortcut
Uummm [In reply to] Can't Post

More like an intensity in the lighting, they turn to stone and then slowly the lighting goes back to normal.

If our honorable friend continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel for objections he is in danger of getting splinters under his nails.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 15 2010, 1:52am

Post #4 of 58 (443 views)
Shortcut
I think They Turn To Stone [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it has something to do with them existing before the sun and it paralyzes them into a like sleep state and they appear like stone maybe because was what they came from

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 15 2010, 3:39am

Post #5 of 58 (476 views)
Shortcut
No supposition necessary. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien makes it quite clear: "trolls, as you probably know, must be underground before dawn, or they go back to the stuff of the mountains they are made of, and never move again".

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkienís life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 15 2010, 3:47am

Post #6 of 58 (424 views)
Shortcut
Its Like All Troll Fantasy Myth [In reply to] Can't Post

Its just Tolkien came up with it First. Trolls turn to Stone needs no explantion for me for i expect them too. I also can except they can be in light if cloudy where is no sun.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Nov 15 2010, 12:46pm

Post #7 of 58 (365 views)
Shortcut
How about a huge flash of electric light... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and then this starts to play. Wink

Photobucket
<<< There is a long road yet >>>

FarFromHome
Valinor

Nov 15 2010, 1:31pm

Post #8 of 58 (348 views)
Shortcut
I'd be surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

if Tolkien really did come up with it first. His ideas may seem original to fantasy readers, but to folklorists they all hark back, one way or another, to traditional beliefs. Trolls turning to stone go back to Norse mythology, it seems:
"Numerous tales about trolls are recorded, in which they are frequently described as being extremely old, very strong, but slow and dim-witted. They are sometimes described as man-eaters and as turning to stone upon contact with sunlight..."
(From the Wikipedia article on Trolls)

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

FarFromHome
Valinor

Nov 15 2010, 1:34pm

Post #9 of 58 (356 views)
Shortcut
I imagine red dawn light [In reply to] Can't Post

slowly creeping in from the edge of the frame, so we don't notice it at first. When it hits the trolls, POOF!, just the way Bilbo tells it at the Party.

Tongue

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 15 2010, 2:36pm

Post #10 of 58 (333 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be either a playful humorous take ("Wha...? Uh-oh." *poof* ) or else horribly grotesque (Trolls writhe and scream in terrible agony as their skin painfully cracks and bulges and slowly hardens.)

But knowing Jackson, he'll probably do a combination of both.

NARFOT since 1967.

NARFOP since 2001.

I'm NARFOB and I'm proud!!

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Nov 15 2010, 2:36pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 15 2010, 2:52pm

Post #11 of 58 (316 views)
Shortcut
I also think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... part of the drama will come from Gandalf shouting "Dawn take you all and be stone to you!" or some variation of that. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes forth with his blazing staff so as to make the Trolls' turning to stone a somewhat ambiguous aspect Crazy

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 15 2010, 3:19pm

Post #12 of 58 (320 views)
Shortcut
*Groan* [In reply to] Can't Post

You just couldn't resist, could you?

Good one! WinkSly

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

mendil
Rivendell

Nov 15 2010, 3:33pm

Post #13 of 58 (329 views)
Shortcut
It's been done so many times [In reply to] Can't Post

People-turning-into-stone is an effect that's been done many times in the movies. I believe that the biggest concern when they design this effect is doing it in a way that seems new and exciting, and not derivative. So we may see something surprising here. For example, we might see a visible magical effect where sunlight touches their skins directly, which then spreads across their bodies (explaining why they turn to stone even where the sun don't shine.) It's a climactic scene and major plot-point, so I predict it will be anything but "the usual".

"... But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song."

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 15 2010, 3:44pm

Post #14 of 58 (305 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

They gotta also be in the same possition they end up looking like in The Fellowship Of The Ring. Also I think they can change the Gandalf just appears and being a keeper of light just turns them to stone. I just don't think we need to see Gandalf trying to keep they other Trolls busy by mocking there voices.

In The Bass cartoon he just appears as the sun rises and they Turn to Stone which works for me without the whole keeping them busy deal

Junesong
Rivendell

Nov 15 2010, 4:03pm

Post #15 of 58 (324 views)
Shortcut
"The same as FOTR" [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been meaning to ask this for a while and this thread seems relevant (enough) to bring it up.

To what lengths do you think PJ and Co. will go to recreate the Hobbit events seen in Fellowship?

I know they are looking for a seamless transition but I'm wondering if they will replicate the trolls from Fellowship exactly right down to positioning etc - so that you can watch both movies side by side and they'll be the same?

My main thought was of the shot of Ian Holm finding the ring in the prologue - is that Martin Freeman's wardrobe we're seeing there? Will they have to shoot Bilbo's finding of the ring to mirror that shot?

Is that necessary? Or do you think they'll just let The Hobbit be it's own take on events by perhaps letting Holm narrate - allowing them to change things slightly as it's just his recollections?

Is this a mountain I've made out of this mole hill?

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer."

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 15 2010, 4:06pm

Post #16 of 58 (311 views)
Shortcut
Bilbos [In reply to] Can't Post

Can be altered really for he falls down trying to escape the Goblins down in the cave. It can look simular to it without copying it. The Trolls gotta look the same for they were frozen in that Spot basically.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2010, 5:01pm

Post #17 of 58 (289 views)
Shortcut
I would prefer [In reply to] Can't Post

for the trolls to be frozen mid-argument. They should never realise what's happening to them. The sunlight should peek over the treetops, and we should see it in the scene's background, gradually driving the shadows away, and as soon as it touches the trolls, poof. They instantly become stone. Maybe one of them could realise what's happening a fraction of a second before being fossilised, and his eyes could widen slightly in shock.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 15 2010, 5:25pm

Post #18 of 58 (264 views)
Shortcut
Good one pipe // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 15 2010, 5:42pm

Post #19 of 58 (267 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't think it would be too far out to have Gandalf return and keep them arguing until the sun came up. After all, if they were arguing among themselves it would seem odd that they didn't move out of the way of the sunrise.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 15 2010, 6:31pm

Post #20 of 58 (267 views)
Shortcut
You Can use [In reply to] Can't Post

That Gandalf being a Spirit Caused the Sun To Rise at that moment and make it a surprise to the Trolls. But then again it be hard to explain why Gandalf just didn't cause sun to appear and change the Trolls at Gondor to stone

Patty
Immortal

Nov 15 2010, 6:36pm

Post #21 of 58 (259 views)
Shortcut
It would be neat if they use the same sound effects that are used... [In reply to] Can't Post

on the BBC audio of The Hobbit. It sounds like what you would expect stone to sound like if it made a sound.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 15 2010, 7:03pm

Post #22 of 58 (256 views)
Shortcut
I believe the trolls at Pelennor [In reply to] Can't Post

could walk in the daylight. It was only the stone trolls that could not be in daylight.

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 15 2010, 7:21pm

Post #23 of 58 (240 views)
Shortcut
You Mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Cave Trolls for thats what The 3 Trolls were. I d think Mordor Trolls were protected by The Eyes Power. I think it will be odd for people who know nothing about Tolkien. But I am a big fantasy buff so a Troll turning to Stone is just normal.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 15 2010, 7:24pm

Post #24 of 58 (247 views)
Shortcut
At the Morannon too. [In reply to] Can't Post

But Tolkien is never clear about what if anything differentiates stone-trolls from cave-trolls or hill-trolls or other types. This passage, from Appendix F of LOTR, is probably the most helpful:

Trolls. Troll has been used to translate the Sindarin Torog. In their beginning far back in the twilight of the Elder Days, these were creatures of dull and lumpish nature and had no more language than beasts. But Sauron had made use of them, teaching them what little they could learn, and increasing their wits with wickedness. Trolls therefore took such language as they could master from the Orcs; and in the Westlands the Stone-trolls spoke a debased form of the Common Speech. But at the end of the Third Age a troll-race not before seen appeared in southern Mirkwood and in the mountain borders of Mordor. Olog-hai they were called in the Black Speech. That Sauron bred them none doubted, though from what stock was not known. Some held that they were not Trolls but giant Orcs; but the Olog-hai were in fashion of body and mind quite unlike even the largest of Orc-kind, whom they far surpassed in size and power. Trolls they were, but filled with the evil will of their master: a fell race, strong, agile, fierce and cunning, but harder than stone. Unlike the older race of the Twilight they could endure the Sun, so long as the will of Sauron held sway over them. They spoke little, and the only tongue that they knew was the Black Speech of Barad-d√Ľr.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 15 2010, 7:30pm

Post #25 of 58 (241 views)
Shortcut
How about off-camera? [In reply to] Can't Post

We see the trolls arguing, and hear Gandalf say, in his own voice and from the side, "Dawn take you all, and be stone to you!" Cut to a close-up of Bilbo turning perplexed toward the sound of Gandalf's voice. Cut back to the trolls, who are now stone.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.